• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Take one for the team! Our do a 15 minute run...
I took one for the team by buying Falcon Pro first.

Limited offline reading support. Articles can be read but you can't cache images.
Is that the RSS feed itself or does it pull in the actual web page?

Legit question. Why don't people who need offline RSS functionality just get your feeds to push directly to pocket?

That sounds crappy. I don't want to read all articles.

Emily Chu

Banned
everyone with a note II or a HTC one X or just a Android phone above 2.2 - 4.12 do a test

install flash 11.1.115.34 at this site

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/...roid/11.1.115.34/install_flash_player_ics.apk

the legit adobe flash site latest apk

>security enable off market installs

then go to here

xhamster.com

watch a HD video or non HD video is it smooth or stuttery ?

I just don't understand how a single core shitty tablet my friend has with ICS 4.0 runs xhamster HD fine but my Note II with the same APK runs the HD videos on that site like shit....

hope an update fixes that and yes they are still updating flash for android... stealthly

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Hieberrr

I'm looking for a holo-themed replacement for Play Music for my Nexus 7. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried Apollo and it's not optimized for tablets.

Ocho

So, according to some guy in Google communities, Feedly is planning a redesign taking some queues from Press, the recently launched Google Reader app. Dunno if true.

Erv

Do you guys know if there is an app to make volume on my phone when using headphones
louder
Or is that just a phone issue that can't be fixed. Thanks

Cudder

I was using Flipboard for some months, just recently switched to Currents because of the redesign, and just now downloaded Feedly and am thinking about using that. On Night Mode it looks SO SEXY on the Galaxy Nexus. Those blacks.

I'm usually not a fan of having extra apps on my phone when the stock Google apps do the same thing.

I like using both Feedly and Flipboard, when I have over 200 feeds I use Feedly, for some reason Feedly doesn't read a feed from one source correctly if that source has 50+ unread, I have to constantly manually refresh in order to view them all. That's when I use Flipboard, but I like using Flipboard for Tumblr as well.

anybody in here have a Evo 4G LTE and know of any apps that have problems with it? I'll be buying tons of apps and games while they're on sale so I wanna know if heres any I should avoid.

JonnyBrad

Currents feeds don't seem to update fast enough. Often some blog feeds are 3-4 hours behind. If you use it once a day it's fine but if I want up to date feeds I can't use it.

Which is a shame because I prefer the UI to flipboard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Take one for the team! Our do a 15 minute run...

Well, I took one for the team (AGAIN) and bought Press. Ask me anything.

It's nice. It has very few options. If you just want an RSS reader, I think it's the best. But if you want full article downloading, scheduled syncing, mobilizing articles, it's not for you.

It's nice. It has very few options. If you just want an RSS reader, I think it's the best. But if you want full article downloading, scheduled syncing, mobilizing articles, it's not for you.
Is it better than Reader (HD) Pro?

la_briola

I agree with everything. It just lacks features.

Bboy AJ

Is it better than Reader (HD) Pro?

I don't use that. I use GoodNews as my main RSS reader. It looks quite a bit nicer.

One of my main beefs with Press is that it's impossible to move from article to article. You have to go from the feed, to the article, to the feed again, then choose another article. It's not a good experience.

Offline RSS works in that it downloads the RSS feed. Just the text, no pictures. The main article itself isn't saved.

Plus there's no scheduled background syncing. I emailed the devs. Let's see what they say.

I don't use that. I use GoodNews as my main RSS reader. It looks quite a bit nicer.

One of my main beefs with Press is that it's impossible to move from article to article. You have to go from the feed, to the article, to the feed again, then choose another article. It's not a good experience.

Offline RSS works in that it downloads the RSS feed. Just the text, no pictures. The main article itself isn't saved.

Plus there's no scheduled background syncing. I emailed the devs. Let's see what they say.
Sounds like they have some work to do, but there is a good bar already in place.

Replicant

So do you guys prefer Currents or Flipboard?

None of the news aggregator is perfect. Both Currents and Flipboard are each lacking in both customization and contents. I like how Flipboard can pull Twitter and Facebook contents. But in reverse it lacks a few contents from Currents.

Feedly would have been perfect if it just allows me to organize the contents a bit more and oh, for the algorithm to pick up images on some RSS. It's weird that Currents can recognize the images on those feeds while Feedly can't. Especially given that they're both Google-developed.

buhdeh

So it has no built-in mobilizer? Guess I'll stick with my current reader app. Annoying browsing RSS feeds with truncated articles.

Hieberrr

Volksempfanger got an update:

* fixed resuming playback from notification
* tried to fix weird search form behavior with some keyboards (please report if there are still issues)
* fixed a crash that could happen while viewing the shownotes of an episode
* fixed a bug in the import feature that could crash the app
* fixed a bug in the feed parser that could lead to a crash

Feedly and Flipboard are in a battle to be my social reader of choice.

Both have major pluses and drawbacks. Feedly looks great, pulls from Google Reader and is very smooth.It's also ridiculously easy to add articles to Pocket. But its inability to pull full articles despite the feed, or set to load web pages de-cluttered without waiting for the page to load and pressing a button drives me nuts.

Flipboard pulls from Twitter (a must for ESPN articles and other sources with terrible RSS feeds), features a less predictable layout than Feedly and loads full articles. Awesome. But it's in app browser is not nearly as smooth as Feedly and leaving the text size on normal leads to some odd layouts when browsing categories (cut off words, etc.

I wish Feedly could pull full articles the way Flipboard does from Twitter links. And featured a little more variety in layout. It's there a developers blog where future changes are being discussed?

Prez

I'm new to smartphones. Could someone recommend me some useful apps and games? My phone has a 240x320 screen and only 180MB RAM though (never more than 42MB free), so obviously my choices are very limited.

Also, I've noticed that some preinstalled apps (like weather app and videoplayer) are taking up memory, even though I'm never using them. I can close them but not much later they're there again. How can I solve this?

kitch9

Banned
I'm new to smartphones. Could someone recommend me some useful apps and games? My phone has a 240x320 screen and only 180MB RAM though (never more than 42MB free), so obviously my choices are very limited.

Also, I've noticed that some preinstalled apps (like weather app and videoplayer) are taking up memory, even though I'm never using them. I can close them but not much later they're there again. How can I solve this?

Which phone is it? I'd say you are VERY limited.

bonesquad

Flipboard loads full articles. Awesome. But it's in app browser is not nearly as smooth as Feedly and leaving the text size on normal leads to some odd layouts when browsing categories (cut off words, etc.

How do you get a link to open in the in app browser? My biggest complaint with Flipboard is that at least on a Nexus 7 all links open externally in Chrome.

And until Currents will pull from Google Reader it doesn't work for me.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AppSales: How to add apps to the watchlist

http://www.app-sales.net/sale.php?id=1994

Many users have requested a particular functionality in the last few days: The ability to add apps (not listed on sale) to the Watchlist. You’re lucky, because the functionality already exists!

Here's how it works:
1. Open the Play Store and select the the app you want to add
2. Click on the share icon / menu entry
3. Select “Price History”
4. Once the data is loaded select “Add to watchlist”

Once the app is on your watchlist you will receive a notification as soon as the price falls.

The decision to use the Play Store rather than a own functionality to add apps to the watchlist was made because the Play store already offers great ways to find or discover apps like top-rankings suggestions and a great search function. Another benefit is that you can check the price history of most paid apps directly from the Play Store, before buying an app.

Top Bottom