• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Gaf, I'm making a clipboard management app. What kind of features should it include? How it works...it runs as a service and catches all text copied to the clipboard. There is a notification icon that will update with the latest copied data. So far you can:
- Sort via alpha, oldest, newest, modified date
- Export to SD
- Edit/delete clipping
- Copy existing clippings
- Add custom clippings
- Delete entire db in one go
- Backup/restore db
- When viewing a clipping it will display copy date, modification date, words, chars

What else should I include? Also here is what the main screen looks like. As you can see there is 3 clippings saved and the most recent is from deviantart as shown in the notification tray.

RSzus.png

3phemeral

All right, I need to know I'm not crazy. I told someone there's a wifi-only option for Netflix, but I can't seem to find it ANYWHERE. This was a big deal when it came out, but no sites actually reported anything wrong with the update. Where the hell is it? lol

Ocho

All right, I need to know I'm not crazy. I told someone there's a wifi-only option for Netflix, but I can't seem to find it ANYWHERE. This was a big deal when it came out, but no sites actually reported anything wrong with the update. Where the hell is it? lol

Scroll to bottom -> Account -> Wifi only.

jokkir

I could never get on with or come up with a colour scheme I liked. It beats Falcon on multi-account support but otherwise I'm not totally sold...

Yeah, Tweedle needs a bit more features. The theme is so much better to look at than Falcon Pro though imo

bengraven

You don't have to use Google Play. You can use Amazon's app store or you can install apks, but really Google Play is the most convenient. Are you not liking it?

No, I like GP on the PC and have no issue. I'm only curious if the phone has multiple app stores. Interesting that Amazon has an app store for Android.

There's so much I have to learn. Until now the "smartest" phone I had was a six year old Blackberry.

A few more questions:

1) "apk"s...I'm assuming when you buy the Humble Android bundle that's how you get the files? I'm wondering when you would get these.

2) podcasts. What does everyone use to download podcasts? Right now I use my iPod and so obviously iTunes, but when I get my version of her same phone I'm going to want to use it to listen to music and podcasts. Is there a program that does this, similar to Apple's and can you find most of the popular ones?

Again, total noob, total "stupid question" time. I had to have my wife explain to me today what the three buttons at the bottom are (the left arrow, the up arrow, the cascading windows).

Does anyone know of a good alarm clock app for android? Specifically I want one that starts out quiet but slowly gets more and more loud to wake you up a bit more naturally. I'm sick and tires of having heart attacks every time I have to wake up early. Paid or not I don't care, I just want some soothing ocean sounds to wake up to...

BurningNad

Does anyone know of a good alarm clock app for android? Specifically I want one that starts out quiet but slowly gets more and more loud to wake you up a bit more naturally. I'm sick and tires of having heart attacks every time I have to wake up early. Paid or not I don't care, I just want some soothing ocean sounds to wake up to...

Alarm Clock Xtreme Free does the trick. As well as Circle Alarm.

Speevy

Banned
I have several recording apps, but is there one specifically for recording lectures and easily organizing them by class?

Gaf, I'm making a clipboard management app. What kind of features should it include? How it works...it runs as a service and catches all text copied to the clipboard. There is a notification icon that will update with the latest copied data. So far you can:
- Export to SD
- Edit/delete clipping
- Add custom clippings
- Backup/restore db
- When viewing a clipping it will display copy date, modification date, words, chars

What else should I include? Also here is what the main screen looks like. As you can see there is 3 clippings saved and the most recent is from deviantart as shown in the notification tray.

Export to SD is nice but on the S3 and Evo LTE its a crapshoot because the internal storage is also known as the SD card. How about a filepath editor included as well instead? catches all bases imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Double Twist Alarm.

Cudder

I have several recording apps, but is there one specifically for recording lectures and easily organizing them by class?
I used Tapemachine to record my lectures when I was in school. Works very well and there were no time limits on recordings, which I found to be the main downfall of every other recording app I checked out.

_Isaac

No, I like GP on the PC and have no issue. I'm only curious if the phone has multiple app stores. Interesting that Amazon has an app store for Android.

There's so much I have to learn. Until now the "smartest" phone I had was a six year old Blackberry.

A few more questions:

1) "apk"s...I'm assuming when you buy the Humble Android bundle that's how you get the files? I'm wondering when you would get these.
It's just a file format that you can download to install android software directly. Falcon Pro, for example, is a Twitter App that was still in Alpha (Beta?) a while ago, and the developer wanted people to try it for a bit before he put it on Google Play. So he offered the APK download link, so people would install it and give him feedback.
2) podcasts. What does everyone use to download podcasts? Right now I use my iPod and so obviously iTunes, but when I get my version of her same phone I'm going to want to use it to listen to music and podcasts. Is there a program that does this, similar to Apple's and can you find most of the popular ones?

Do you mean you're going to get the same phone your girlfriend has? For podcasts, there are several highly recommended podcast apps. They are sometimes called podcatchers for some reason. DoggCatcher and BeyondPod are two that people usually recommend. You tend to see some debates regarding which one of these two is better as well as a few others I can't really remember. Both are pretty good. You can schedule downloads, dictate how many episodes to keep or create playlists. I can't really remember the exact features of both. They're a little pricy, but they both have trial versions I think.

A new one that people have been buzzing about is Volksempfänger. People seem to like it, and it's free. I think I've heard it's not as full featured as the other two, but I still hear it's pretty good, and at that price I would suggest trying it out. I haven't actually used it yet, but I just downloaded it now to check it out.

Again, total noob, total "stupid question" time. I had to have my wife explain to me today what the three buttons at the bottom are (the left arrow, the up arrow, the cascading windows).

Speevy

Banned
I used Tapemachine to record my lectures when I was in school. Works very well and there were no time limits on recordings, which I found to be the main downfall of every other recording app I checked out.

Thank you. It looks like just what I'm looking for. Dates everything as well.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AlarmDroid is what I'm using these days, mainly because it's following the Holo UI guidelines.

Dina

I have yet to find to a good podcast app on android. It's really hard to enjoy it after having used the software on my Zune HD for like 5 years which was absolutely perfect. I don't know why nobody has done something similar. It's such a pain in the ass to add subscriptions through antennapod or all the others...

Have you tried Volksempfanger?

I have yet to find to a good podcast app on android. It's really hard to enjoy it after having used the software on my Zune HD for like 5 years which was absolutely perfect. I don't know why nobody has done something similar. It's such a pain in the ass to add subscriptions through antennapod or all the others...

Tried Pocket Casts yet?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone know how to make YouTube videos play by default when clicking on a link in dolphin? At some point an update to one if these broke this functionality and now I can't get it back.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone know how to make YouTube videos play by default when clicking on a link in dolphin? At some point an update to one if these broke this functionality and now I can't get it back.
Clear default for whatever app it's opening in. Settings - apps - that app

Bboy AJ

Alright Android GAF, I've been talking about this for awhile. What app lets you select something from the gallery and upload it to an upload service from the Share menu? A couple of imgur apps used to do this but not anymore. min.us kind of did it, but that's now shit.

Yes, I know Dropbox can do it with a public folder. But if you're like me, you don't want to tie up your Dropbox or Google Drive with public photos you post to Twitter or App.net. I opened a public CloudApp account and now use Nuvola. It is simple but does exactly what I want.

l0gim.jpg

GBgM3.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eflatgames.cloudysky

It's not a new app and has very little downloads. Strange. Anyway, I hope this helps others out there.

Bruiserk

Clear default for whatever app it's opening in. Settings - apps - that app

They open directly in dolphin, even after I have cleared the defaults for it. YouTube app has no defaults set.

I had this problem a couple pages back as well. I stopped using dolphin because of it. Clearing defaults never helped because I never got the option to open in the youtube app in the first place . Let me know if you figure it out.

Alright gaf. Need testers for my new app. Also please rate if possible :)

A clipboard manager
Clipboard admin is a clipboard manager for Android. The application runs in the background saving all copied text into an SQL DB for later viewing and/or modification. A system tray icon is enabled for easy access while also displaying your most recent entry.
Features:
- Create and sort by favorites
- Export to SD
- Edit/delete clipping
- Add custom clippings
- Backup/restore db

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ..

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't understand your problem, do you want to use flash functionality? Because Dolphin doesn't support Flash.
Clicking on a YouTube link in dolphin used to open the video in the YouTube app directly. Now it just opens a new tab for the video in dolphin.

I don't understand your problem, do you want to use flash functionality? Because Dolphin doesn't support Flash.

Not to put words in his mouth, but I'm 99% sure he is saying that any link that would typically launch an external application (Youtube links, Play Store links, etc) are instead opening directly within Dolphin. He'd like them to automatically launch those helper applications instead, but no amount of defaults-clearing seems to help. I had a similar problem, and it's the reason I went back to the stock browser.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Not to put words in his mouth, but I'm 99% sure he is saying that any link that would typically launch an external application (Youtube links, Play Store links, etc) are instead opening directly within Dolphin. He'd like them to automatically launch those helper applications instead, but no amount of defaults-clearing seems to help. I had a similar problem, and it's the reason I went back to the stock browser.

I have the same problem with dolphin.

I have the same problem with dolphin.

I also had it with Firefox, the only other browser I really wanted to use. And I do have kind of a half-recollection that it did work correctly at one time, but I was kind of new to my phone back then and may not have remembered right. Regardless though, if there's a fix for this stuff I'd love to hear about it.

Anyone know of a notes widget that I can style a bit nicer than JOT? I love the ease of use of JOT I would just like to make it fit with my theme a bit more...

At some point in the future a Nexus 4 will show up on my desk, and I have to migrate from my current Android phone. Does Google have anything like iCloud where I just login and everything just comes over (apps installed and so on), or do I need to fiddle with a backup app of some kind?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
At some point in the future a Nexus 4 will show up on my desk, and I have to migrate from my current Android phone. Does Google have anything like iCloud where I just login and everything just comes over (apps installed and so on), or do I need to fiddle with a backup app of some kind?

Apps and stuff should be saved by Google, for the contacts you should copy them to SIM and back to your phone, it will then ask you if you'd like to store them (or something like that, I stupidly didn't do it myself).

Bboy AJ

Apps and stuff should be saved by Google, for the contacts you should copy them to SIM and back to your phone, it will then ask you if you'd like to store them (or something like that, I stupidly didn't do it myself).

Contacts will be saved by Google.

Use SMS Backup & Restore for messages.

You will lose your data (game saves, app data settings etc.) If you have root you can back that up with DataSync Beta in the cloud.

Cipherr

It might be a dolphin thing. But its not a firefox thing. I recall when I was using firefox I was able to swap and use the YT app for all YT links. Maybe dolphin forces its usage of the browser YT.

celebi23

I've got 2 fun little apps that I've come across. Both do the same thing but, EasterDroid does more but, it's more straight forward

EasterDroid

Easter Egg

Both are free apps that allow you to view the easter eggs from Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.

Top Bottom