• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have been using this one since Nexus 1.

Pure Calendar widget (agenda)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.koxx.pure_calendar&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5rb3h4LnB1cmVfY2FsZW5kYXIiXQ..

It works fine with multiple accounts and calendars. Never really had a problem with it, and the dev keeps it updated for each OS release if needed.

Its very good but I prefer Agenda Widget Plus here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roflharrison.agenda.plus&feature=related_apps

It also does tasks and it is also very powerful and customizeable.

Still difficult to type some words with multiple letters. I can't type "soon" no matter what, all I get is "son".

tino

Banned
Question!

I want an app that's only available on the Amazon App Store, I'm located in Canada so I can't buy it myself, can a US resident purchase it and them give me the APK or is there some sort of DRM with the App store that'll prevent me from doing this?

Also screw amazon for ignoring Canada after all these years :\

name of the app?

Its very good but I prefer Agenda Widget Plus here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roflharrison.agenda.plus&feature=related_apps

It also does tasks and it is also very powerful and customizeable.

Still difficult to type some words with multiple letters. I can't type "soon" no matter what, all I get is "son".

if you want double letters, do a loop on the letter. i just tried soon and son a few times and only got the wrong one once out of 10 tries.

What are some of the better browsers right now? I've been using Chrome for a while and that's fine, but it's lacking in features (like a default zoom level). I tried Ocean Browser and it's performance is great but the UI is ugly as sin.

Hieberrr

DoubleTwisdt Player! Stock android users should definitely get this if you're looking for a local storage music player. It's free, so why not :)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
What are some of the better browsers right now? I've been using Chrome for a while and that's fine, but it's lacking in features (like a default zoom level). I tried Ocean Browser and it's performance is great but the UI is ugly as sin.
I love the Dolphin browser. It's fantastic IMO.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Firefox Beta

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its a bad solution for HTPC, you can spend $50 for a WD TV Live+ (or Roku or whatever) and you can access you local LAN movies, HULU+, Netflix, Youtube etc etc from a real infrared remote.
Not one that will stream 1080p mkvs, not one that will allow you to dvr live tv, and not one that will allow you to access hulu basic.

Speevy

Banned
Is there a background application for android that reads aloud whatever is on your screen, whether it's the web or a book or just any old text?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Is there a background application for android that reads aloud whatever is on your screen, whether it's the web or a book or just any old text?
Oh, man. That would be awesome. I'm sort of surprised something like that isn't implemented at the os level as an accessibility function.

Can you imagine being able to turn every book you own into an audio book at your whim? Sure it would be a cold, shitty digitized voice but it would a cool option.

xxczx

DoubleTwisdt Player! Stock android users should definitely get this if you're looking for a local storage music player. It's free, so why not :)
So much hassle with doubletwist... Having to use the desktop app before you use it? Erm..

Google Music for no fuss, ZPlayer for design, Power Amp for power users.

Zaph

Is there anyway to get the scroll bounce effect in Android? I just bought a Nexus 7, and while the blue glow effect isn't bad, it's just one of those jarring things when going between my iPhone and Nexus.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there anyway to get the scroll bounce effect in Android? I just bought a Nexus 7, and while the blue glow effect isn't bad, it's just one of those jarring things when going between my iPhone and Nexus.

Yeah, you return it for an iPad.

JonnyBrad

No there isn't. I use an iPhone and a n7 tbh I prefer the glow.

Withnail

Think I read that Apple have a patent on it.

Hieberrr

So much hassle with doubletwist... Having to use the desktop app before you use it? Erm..

Google Music for no fuss, ZPlayer for design, Power Amp for power users.

You don't need the desktop app. Drag and drop into your music folder on your phone (or w/e) and let it find it.

Does anyone have some good weather widgets recommendations?
I'll second this question, particularly one with nice animations and eye candy like the HTC app. It seems ever since I got back from New Zealand it hasn't reported the weather properly. The GPS on my phone just wouldn't work at all when I was over there. Some kind of weird carrier/hardware limitation, maybe?

Anyone have any tasks app (with widgets preferably) that allows for arbitrary reminders ? I wanted to add a reminder to a task for every two days but any.do doesn't let you for some stupid reason, or just once a day/week/month/year.

Edit:never mind, Astrid is great. Its improved heaps since i last used it.

pretty sure that would be illegal, patented Apple technology there.

Zeppu

Anyone have any tasks app (with widgets preferably) that allows for arbitrary reminders ? I wanted to add a reminder to a task for every two days but any.do doesn't let you for some stupid reason, or just once a day/week/month/year.

Edit:never mind, Astrid is great. Its improved heaps since i last used it.

Google Calendar?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
New update for Falcon Pro, biggest change is a light theme and multi window support for Galaxy phones on latest firmware.

Notification Weather, Eye in the sky weather for free, Beautiful widgets, HD widgets for paid (but go on sale for real cheap often)

Also BeWeather which is both free and paid.

Id use eye in the sky but for where i live its REALLY inaccurate (there will be a thunderstorm outside and it will report as sunny)
I would also throw AIX Weather in the mix. It displays a 24hour weather forecast and has been pretty accurate for me. Currently using it and love it. Only downside is you have to manually pick a location.

Big new feedly update

★ A faster and more intuitive vertical transition model.
★ Brand new widget.
★ New layouts for Samsung Galaxy, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
★ Better control over the list, magazine and mosaic views.
★ Better youtube integration.
★ New explore panel.
☂ Bug fixes.

I think I might ditch currents again (as it's still sluggish and the updates are slow) for this.

SimleuqiR

The Stumbleupon app got a new UI :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stumbleupon.android.app

WU-K9ZOtySWjK_OwqUkmpOo2QEaB5voXni66Qpxxli8Jtdy6YLorL3Qgw2s6Bkp11tg

Du1hvvbvYpoXlKP2P9YqJwij4Ub-orF5SEUMjerzfNjQn2XIMZVz60KpmS8T-54Gugy4

Looking good.

JonnyBrad

You can drag your finger up over the story and it goes from read to unread.

Yeah sorry didn't explain well. Every other reader has the option to not mark stories as read at all. I don't want them disappearing from the latest feed, and having to dig them about of history. And I don't want to have to mark everything unread after reading.

Pulse has one tick box saying "don't hide read articles" that's all I want. Have mailed the devs about it but no dice.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is there a preferably cheap/free app for android with which I can take notes on powerpoints? You know, like "notes for slide x, notes for slide y", similar to how powerpoint slides on Windows have seperate associated pages for notes? Preferably that program would use the ACTUAL "note-page" of the slide and not just be another word file within the program.

Nekki

I have a couple of questions, and I thought this place would be the best to ask away..

First of all, I've been using the phone's stock player ever since i got it (a Galaxy Ace), and i've noticed on some songs there's a grainy sound, that i don't notice in my pc when playing the same file. It probably has to do with the frequency of the song. Is there any way to fix this?

I am trying Winamp right now and it seems that the sound is not present, but I feel that it's doesn't play music as loud as the stock player (which isn't loud at all either :/), and that might be why it's not apparent.

Secondly, I wanted to enquire about Dropbox. How does it work with the phone?? If I have, say, 30gb worth of stuff on it on my PC, will I need that same amount of free space on my phone??

Top Bottom