• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

kinggroin

Banned
Alright Android GAF, I've been talking about this for awhile. What app lets you select something from the gallery and upload it to an upload service from the Share menu? A couple of imgur apps used to do this but not anymore. min.us kind of did it, but that's now shit.

Yes, I know Dropbox can do it with a public folder. But if you're like me, you don't want to tie up your Dropbox or Google Drive with public photos you post to Twitter or App.net. I opened a public CloudApp account and now use Nuvola. It is simple but does exactly what I want.

l0gim.jpg

GBgM3.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eflatgames.cloudysky

It's not a new app and has very little downloads. Strange. Anyway, I hope this helps others out there.

Imgur still does this, in fact I use it all the time to attach pictures to posts.

kinggroin

Banned
Alright gaf. Need testers for my new app. Also please rate if possible :)

A clipboard manager
Clipboard admin is a clipboard manager for Android. The application runs in the background saving all copied text into an SQL DB for later viewing and/or modification. A system tray icon is enabled for easy access while also displaying your most recent entry.
Features:
- Sort via alpha, oldest, newest, modified date
- Create and sort by favorites
- Export to SD
- Edit/delete clipping
- Copy existing clippings
- Add custom clippings
- Delete entire db in one go
- Backup/restore db

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ..

DLing it now and will incorporate it into my workflow. I'll let you know if I come across any snags.

kinggroin

Banned
Apps and stuff should be saved by Google, for the contacts you should copy them to SIM and back to your phone, it will then ask you if you'd like to store them (or something like that, I stupidly didn't do it myself).

So long as you don't mess around with custom Roms and the like, music (use Google music and the desktop client), pictures (install Google plus and enabled instant upload), WiFi settings, apps, wallpaper, books, contacts, and bookmarks will carry from phone to phone.

kinggroin

Banned
BTW, please make sure you are using v1.0.4. It's the latest one in the market. I uploaded it at like 3am EST. I fixed a few bugs...hopefully :) I'll repost the link just in case anyone else wants to test. Please rate if possible :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ

come at me gaf :p

I have, and reviewed it. Works like a champ, never closed out despite my task list being full of open apps.

Now offer a paid ad-free version ;-)

I have, and reviewed it. Works like a champ, never closed out despite my task list being full of open apps.

Now offer a paid ad-free version ;-)

Thanks, I can put up a no ad version. Wasn't even going to... is $1.99 reasonable? I hate doing .99 then I have to charge more in other countries =\

Toki767

So glad I bought Falcon Pro for Twitter. It's seriously what the official Twitter app should be instead of just an iOS layout.

Ocho

I know this probably has been asked tons of times, but what is the best app to control my PC from my Android? Don't mind free or paid.

Cipherr

I know this probably has been asked tons of times, but what is the best app to control my PC from my Android? Don't mind free or paid.

I use Teamviewer. I love it to pieces.

Edit: N/M I think I misunderstood what you were looking for.

Edit2: Damn @ Unified remote. That looks amazing.

JKTrix

Sometimes it's just, like, too far away.

It's more than that, though. I don't use it for anything that requires typing, mostly for things like media navigation and casual browsing. It's a lot more convenient since I always have my phone, and I can do it in one hand. Give it a try if you haven't yet.

Try Splashtop 2. Free app that works really well. If you're on the same wifi network as your PC, the free version is fully functional. If you want to control your PC remotely over mobile networks, then there's an in app purchase that lets you do that.

mclem

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good remote desktop application which is smooth (on an internal network) and transmits sound? I'd love to be able to run content from my laptop in bed, but my laptop's a bit bulky to have on my chest!

I'm aware they tend to the pricey end of the app market in general, so I'd like one I can experiment with to see if it suits my purposes before I commit.

saunderez

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good remote desktop application which is smooth (on an internal network) and transmits sound?

I'm aware they tend to the pricey end of the app market in general, so I'd like one I can experiment with to see if it suits my purposes before I commit.

Best one I found was Jump RDP.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.p5sys.android.jump&hl=en

Has a free version. Used to use it a lot on my TouchPad, haven't used it for a while though so I'm not sure how they're keeping up with updates. It was cheap too from memory.

DrFurbs

Okay ive about to upgrade from a Nexus S to a Nexus 4. What is the easiest and less painful way to get all the stuff (photos, video etc) on the Nexus S to the Nexus 4?

So long as you don't mess around with custom Roms and the like, music (use Google music and the desktop client), pictures (install Google plus and enabled instant upload), WiFi settings, apps, wallpaper, books, contacts, and bookmarks will carry from phone to phone.

So I can just login with my Google account and then let my Nexus do its thing and it will look and act like my current Android phone after an hour or so?

Angst

Okay ive about to upgrade from a Nexus S to a Nexus 4. What is the easiest and less painful way to get all the stuff (photos, video etc) on the Nexus S to the Nexus 4?

Photos and videos: G+ instant upload is your friend. Or dropbox.
SMS: SMS Backup & Restore

JKTrix

Does that work well with VLC player, and if your PC is in another room?
I don't use VLC, but this uses your Wi-Fi network. As long as you are connected to the same network as your PC, it will work.
Here's a screenshot I just took of the VLC-specific remote to have an idea of what you're dealing with
http://cl.ly/image/3Q2K2L213C1j
It's not a remote viewer, it's a remote controller. Otherwise I'd use Teamviewer, or Diceplayer for pure media.

Melchiah

I don't use VLC, but this uses your Wi-Fi network. As long as you are connected to the same network as your PC, it will work.
Here's a screenshot I just took of the VLC-specific remote to have an idea of what you're dealing with
http://cl.ly/image/3Q2K2L213C1j
It's not a remote viewer, it's a remote controller. Otherwise I'd use Teamviewer, or Diceplayer for pure media.

Thanks for clearing that up. So, it shouldn't be a problem, as I've connected to the Wi-Fi network. It eases things, as I don't have to drag the mouse to the living room. My laptop is connected to the TV via HDMI through the wall.

kinggroin

Banned
So I can just login with my Google account and then let my Nexus do its thing and it will look and act like my current Android phone after an hour or so?

Yes. The pictures and music do need the extra step I mentioned though. Make sure they're installed and setup for cloud use.

GQman2121

Banned
What's a good tv app? I'm talking with schedules and reminders and whatnot. I have the tv guide offical one, but it's complete shit.

Does that work well with VLC player, and if your PC is in another room?

It's great for the simple one-button things like pausing, changing volume, etc. If you want to do things like editing your playlist or scrubbing through a video, it can get a little fiddly because you have to use your touchscreen as a remote mouse. I usually just set up the playlist on my PC and use Unified Remote as a glorified pause button.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What browser do you guys recommend for 4.2/Nexus 4?

I had been using DolphinHD on S3 but it had some issues for me.

I personally think the built-in Chrome browser is pretty nice, so I can't help you a lot probably.

Melchiah

It's great for the simple one-button things like pausing, changing volume, etc. If you want to do things like editing your playlist or scrubbing through a video, it can get a little fiddly because you have to use your touchscreen as a remote mouse. I usually just set up the playlist on my PC and use Unified Remote as a glorified pause button.

I guess it should be ok for watching a movie, which is what I'd be using it for. I don't really listen to music that way, so that's not an issue for me.

Ocho

Any Unified Remote user know which version of Netflix can it control? Web Netflix appears not to work. I suppose desktop version? I only have the Windows 8 app, but haven't tested it yet.

Gigglepoo

Is there a calendar with a full-screen widget that goes directly to my Google Calendar when I tap it? I really wish there was an equivalent to the HTC default calendar for Samsung.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Any Unified Remote user know which version of Netflix can it control? Web Netflix appears not to work. I suppose desktop version? I only have the Windows 8 app, but haven't tested it yet.

It does work with desktop netflix. I've found that some of the remotes (including netlix) can sometimes get kind of finicky and not work. Usually exiting the remote or the app and opening it back up will fix it.

-edit-
wait, I'm not sure what you mean by desktop vs web version....

tfur

Is there a calendar with a full-screen widget that goes directly to my Google Calendar when I tap it? I really wish there was an equivalent to the HTC default calendar for Samsung.

I have been using this one since Nexus 1.

Pure Calendar widget (agenda)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.koxx.pure_calendar&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5rb3h4LnB1cmVfY2FsZW5kYXIiXQ..

It works fine with multiple accounts and calendars. Never really had a problem with it, and the dev keeps it updated for each OS release if needed.

tino

Banned
Its a bad solution for HTPC, you can spend $50 for a WD TV Live+ (or Roku or whatever) and you can access you local LAN movies, HULU+, Netflix, Youtube etc etc from a real infrared remote.

swiftkey flow is sick. i had a similar kind of thing on my old phone (swype maybe??) but it wasnt really that great. i have some problems with words like "of and off" and "to and too" but its still pretty good at predicting.

Ocho

It does work with desktop netflix. I've found that some of the remotes (including netlix) can sometimes get kind of finicky and not work. Usually exiting the remote or the app and opening it back up will fix it.

-edit-
wait, I'm not sure what you mean by desktop vs web version....

I'm trying to use Netflix in a web browser but the control isn't working. Since Hulu has desktop and web remotes, I figured maybe some sort of desktop client was the one working with Netflix (like Windows 8's native app). I'm kind of confused, but if you say it works in a browser, maybe I do need to reboot or somesuch. Thanks.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm trying to use Netflix in a web browser but the control isn't working. Since Hulu has desktop and web remotes, I figured maybe some sort of desktop client was the one working with Netflix (like Windows 8's native app). I'm kind of confused, but if you say it works in a browser, maybe I do need to reboot or somesuch. Thanks.

Yes, the browser version of Netflix is what I use and the UR netflix remote does work with it.

EGM92

Question!

I want an app that's only available on the Amazon App Store, I'm located in Canada so I can't buy it myself, can a US resident purchase it and them give me the APK or is there some sort of DRM with the App store that'll prevent me from doing this?

Also screw amazon for ignoring Canada after all these years :\

Question!

I want an app that's only available on the Amazon App Store, I'm located in Canada so I can't buy it myself, can a US resident purchase it and them give me the APK or is there some sort of DRM with the App store that'll prevent me from doing this?

Also screw amazon for ignoring Canada after all these years :\
yep, there's DRM. you have to be signed into the Amazon Appstore app with the account that bought the app.

Could you guys suggest me a non-crappy finance manager app?

like Mint?

Top Bottom