• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I have a couple of questions, and I thought this place would be the best to ask away..

First of all, I've been using the phone's stock player ever since i got it (a Galaxy Ace), and i've noticed on some songs there's a grainy sound, that i don't notice in my pc when playing the same file. It probably has to do with the frequency of the song. Is there any way to fix this?

I am trying Winamp right now and it seems that the sound is not present, but I feel that it's doesn't play music as loud as the stock player (which isn't loud at all either :/), and that might be why it's not apparent.

Secondly, I wanted to enquire about Dropbox. How does it work with the phone?? If I have, say, 30gb worth of stuff on it on my PC, will I need that same amount of free space on my phone??

I can answer the Dropbox question.

It will show your whole dropbox contents only, it doesn't download all the files. You can then choose and select which files to download/view.

I must say the new feedly is a really good upgrade, seems a tad faster and I like swiping vertical instead of the horizontal way it was before.

Schlep

I must say the new feedly is a really good upgrade, seems a tad faster and I like swiping vertical instead of the horizontal way it was before.
The best RSS reader on Android, imo. Devs said on Twitter that eventually they will have an option to remove clutter by default on links. Was hoping that would be in this last update.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The new Chrome Beta is a pretty good improvement over the release version. Scrolling performance is better and so is the default zoom level.

Hmm, really? Maybe I should give it another go then. I gave up on it a while back, and have just been using the stock browser (Galaxy Nexus) since then.

EDIT: It does seem better (it was absolutely awful a while back), but it's still significantly more laggy and less smooth than the stock browser. I also get much more empty areas when I scroll in Chrome, as the page rendering tries to catch up with me. I imagine the experience is better on something like the Nexus 4, which has a lot more power to brute force its way through Chrome's lackluster performance, but as a GNex owner I will be sticking with the stock browser. The difference in smoothness is still too noticeable for me to ignore.

Gaaraz

Can anyone please recommend a decent ad blocker for Android?

I have a Galaxy S3 (non rooted) and Adblock Plus doesn't work, in the notification centre it says "Ads are blocked on WiFi connection" - I guess that means it doesn't work over 3G? Annoying since that's the only reason I want it, to help speed things up and conserve bandwidth :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I have a Galaxy S3 (non rooted) and Adblock Plus doesn't work, in the notification centre it says "Ads are blocked on WiFi connection" - I guess that means it doesn't work over 3G? Annoying since that's the only reason I want it, to help speed things up and conserve bandwidth :(

Firefox has extensions you can use the actual Adblock+ that is better than the app. You'd have to use FF though.

Also if you are really that worried about bandwidth you could try opera mobile with turbo enabled. You'd have to use Opera though.

mclem

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about Sleep As An Droid? A friend of mine was wondering, and I might follow suit; would be nice to counter my sluggish mornings.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The new Chrome Beta is a pretty good improvement over the release version. Scrolling performance is better and so is the default zoom level.

Yeah, I am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm so used to using it that I can't bring myself to use the stock browser anymore even if it works a bit better.

Random, but what's a great cocktail app? I go out somewhat often and am trying to figure out new drinks to order, what's in them etc. Would be nice to have an app with a pretty extensive list of drinks with a random drink option. Tried a few, but they were either lacking or annoying to use.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Random, but what's a great cocktail app? I go out somewhat often and am trying to figure out new drinks to order, what's in them etc. Would be nice to have an app with a pretty extensive list of drinks with a random drink option. Tried a few, but they were either lacking or annoying to use.

Cocktail Flow

vdlow

I use adaway and it's pretty good.

Skyzard

Banned

Hmm, really? Maybe I should give it another go then. I gave up on it a while back, and have just been using the stock browser (Galaxy Nexus) since then.

EDIT: It does seem better (it was absolutely awful a while back), but it's still significantly more laggy and less smooth than the stock browser. I also get much more empty areas when I scroll in Chrome, as the page rendering tries to catch up with me. I imagine the experience is better on something like the Nexus 4, which has a lot more power to brute force its way through Chrome's lackluster performance, but as a GNex owner I will be sticking with the stock browser. The difference in smoothness is still too noticeable for me to ignore.

Just tried the Chrome Beta app for the first time and it's twice as fast with the sun java benchmark on my note II and with the browser benchmark from rightware it has a 60% boost. With power saving mode it is as you described though, more choppy when scrolling...

How do you look through your history with the chrome app btw? I've only seen a way to clear history :S

vdlow

Just tried the Chrome Beta app for the first time and it's twice as fast with the sun java benchmark on my note II and with the browser benchmark from rightware it has a 60% boost. With power saving mode it is as you described though, more choppy when scrolling...

How do you look through your history with the chrome app btw? I've only seen a way to clear history :S

The only way is using this url
chrome://history/

Skyzard

Banned
The only way is using this url
chrome://history/

Thank you, bookmarked it.

Also some apps I find useful since getting my phone a few weeks ago:

Some good apps to cut back on battery wastage or just cutting back on the bloat (pretty sure they all need root):

App Quarantine to disable applications (especially stock apps) that you aren't 100% sure you want to delete but don't want constantly running in the background.

AutoStart Manager to disable receivers for various apps and system processes for various phone activity (eg on startup or when the power is connected or connectivity is changed).

AdFree

-==-==- Just other good apps
Rotation Locker (has an auto mode - need to set it to persistent with NII- and choose a wider picture for the background (fill out those side-brackets in the wallpaper selection screen)) if you want to use your phone in landscape mode sometimes.

Audio Manager Pro is also awesome for setting custom profiles such as "Silent, Vibrate, Night/Day" and toggling between them easily.

URLy - uploading pictures (and also shortening links).

iTag for getting album art..one by one - also never choose "set as art for album" when you are browsing "All Songs" :p

ColorNote lets you have a readable note widget

SeriesGuide works well for telling you upcoming/recent favourite tv shows

If you are in the UK, TVCatchup lets you watch all the live digital tv channels

Oh and before I forget (I got my 32GB today) - GL to SD - to save space from large games:
---This lets you move files (similar to app2sd - which doesn't work with note 2) to your SD card. Mainly used with gameloft games but also shows SOME others like GTA III, Max Payne, Splice, Metal Slug, Mini Motor, the Sonic games, JSR etc. But you have to launch them from the list in the app itself. Also make sure to choose "Unmount and Exit" from the options when you are done otherwise I think other normal apps will start writing data to the external card instead of the main one, which isn't great -not entirely sure how heavy multitasking would affect it but seems to work fine. It auto mounts when running the apps. It will transfer the data files too if they are already there (which is how I've been doing it). You may see duplicates in the list.

Hieberrr

What is the best holo-themed block call/blacklisting app? I'm using Mr. number right now, but I hate the icon and name (I'm stupid picky about those things).

Gaaraz

Firefox has extensions you can use the actual Adblock+ that is better than the app. You'd have to use FF though.

Also if you are really that worried about bandwidth you could try opera mobile with turbo enabled. You'd have to use Opera though.
Thanks, this is a good option though ideally it'd work with non-browser apps too :)

I use adaway and it's pretty good.
Many thanks, unfortunately this one requires root though

Okay, finally got fed up with Swype as there's a really annoying bug involving quoting posts here on GAF and now am trying SwiftKey flow and really liking it. It's a little different, commas are kind of a pain, and I hate how I have to go back to change an auto corrected word, but man I love the fact that it has arrow keys built in. Emoticon selection is better too.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, I've recently discovered the awesomeness of nova launcher. I tried GO once and it was so confusing, but this is simple as pie and lets me make things look just as I want.

jSHpg.png

A few questions. I'm not rooted, is there any way I can change my stock jellybean keyboard and notification shades/bar to red & black, too? I'm on a nexus 7 if that matters to you.

MNC

Can anyone give me some info (developers preferred) what their experiences are with AdMob and the likes and using it in your app?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hey guys, I've recently discovered the awesomeness of nova launcher. I tried GO once and it was so confusing, but this is simple as pie and lets me make things look just as I want.

A few questions. I'm not rooted, is there any way I can change my stock jellybean keyboard and notification shades/bar to red & black, too? I'm on a nexus 7 if that matters to you.

It looks like your phone lives right across the street from a Kenny Rogers Roasters.

Deer Reader (Lite version)

Deer Reader is an easy and lightweight Google Reader client, with Sophie Reader as first base, evolved to following features:
- Google Reader sync
- 4 Themes (dark and light theme in two styles (blue/orange))
- News in Jelly Bean notification dropdown (!)
- Swipeable feed list.
- Tablet UI optimization.
- Feed list look changing according to time of day

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Press abandoned us. No updates, no nothing lately.

Guys any browser that will zoom exactly to the text width as Safari on iPhone? Default one and Dolphin zoom a lot more so I have to adjust the zoom all the time

Zeppu

Guys any browser that will zoom exactly to the text width as Safari on iPhone? Default one and Dolphin zoom a lot more so I have to adjust the zoom all the time

It's not zoomed in. Your screen is bigger.

Check settings for font size from the browser itself

Threi

notag
Advanced search (i.e. results from the past month) on google.com is completely borked on the beta, while it works fine in the old stable version.

...ok google.

Do you use AirDroid? You should. It's a fantastic piece of software. While Google tends to prefer using cloud services to manage your data, there is no central app that can access and change anything on your device. This app fills that need and does so amazingly. It's so great that we gave away 20 invites to the v2 beta recently. Now, the invite-only requirement is gone and it's available to anyone who can download it. Plus, it has some sweet new features you'll want to see.

http://airdroid.com/invite/airdroid_v2.apk

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...l-remote-camera-access-and-find-phone-in-tow/

beta is now open

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Well, good JS performance is certainly nice, but smooth scrolling will always trump that for me. So I'll be sticking with the stock browser, at least for now. Chrome simply isn't optimized enough to feel as nice on the GNex's aging hardware.

I just got a motorola razr V to replace my Galaxy Note (stolen unfortunately). It is pretty good so far but it doesn't have an awesome slideshow widget like my Note did. That one could select specific photos and could be resized. Any alternatives?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I just got a motorola razr V to replace my Galaxy Note (stolen unfortunately). It is pretty good so far but it doesn't have an awesome slideshow widget like my Note did. That one could select specific photos and could be resized. Any alternatives?
Got this phone on Christmas Eve. Great little phone.

I've been flip-flopping around between Currents and Flipboard on my N10 trying to figure out which one is better for what I want, then thanks to this thread I found Feedly, and it's perfect.

Now, what I want to do is put a news ticker type widget on my home screen that will scroll or display headlines for my RSS feeds, then when I click on the headline, will open Feedly. Feedly's widget (and Flipboards, and Current's) is headline + image, and I'm looking for something simply text based, preferably with a transparent background.

Is such a thing even possible?

JKTrix

Nothing that will tap into your 'Google Play' songs. Audiogalaxy installs an app on your computer so you can stream your library directly from your computer, though.

bonesquad

I've been flip-flopping around between Currents and Flipboard on my N10 trying to figure out which one is better for what I want, then thanks to this thread I found Feedly, and it's perfect.

Now, what I want to do is put a news ticker type widget on my home screen that will scroll or display headlines for my RSS feeds, then when I click on the headline, will open Feedly. Feedly's widget (and Flipboards, and Current's) is headline + image, and I'm looking for something simply text based, preferably with a transparent background.

Is such a thing even possible?

I was hoping for something similar as well for show on my Nexus 7 (the newest Feedly widget is better, but I don't like how its a static 4 blocks wide and not automatic). The best I could find is the widget with Google Reader. It flips through the last 10 headlines and you can manually flip through them as well. However, tapping the headline opens in Google Reader and it's not transparent. Still, it's the closest I could find to fit my needs.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Press has been updated!

What's in this version:
Version 1.1
- Quick article navigation to go to next/previous articles
- Background/automatic syncing
- Sync on app launch
- Background syncing notifications
- New text-alignment options
- Show image title and URL in the image viewer. (xkcd fans rejoice!)
- Date and time formats now match device settings
- Article title is now included when sharing to social networks
- Lots of performance enhancements and bug fixes

Top Bottom