• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I keep getting ignored and want these app recommendations:

News Readers
I'm looking for a new RSS/news reader because, while I love Feedly, it's built-in browser is too unstable. I've tried Pulse but it has more in common with Currents (can you add RSS feeds to either of those apps?). Now I'm conflicted because there are things I like about both Pulse and Currents - I like Pulse's Pocket-like articles and I like the vertical scrolling in Currents. Is there a magical app that combines the best of Pulse/Current and supports RSS feeds?

Music Lyrics
I'm looking for a lyrics app that supports Google Music and maybe Rdio/Spotify. I don't understand Tunewiki - it's like a local app player and Shazam built in one with MINOR lyrics support, only for Google Music. Musixmatch is nice but it's too Facebook-centric. What about lyrics websites with mobile layouts?

Could anyone recommend a fast search widget?

The stock Google Search app is terribly slow on my old phone running Jellybean.

I use Bing. Its not Google, but it is pretty decent and is almost as good as Google Now as far as congregating everything. I actually began using Bing more than I do Google because it seems better put together as far as a search

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Coming soon: Pocket Casts 4 on Android

So what’s new in Pocket Casts 4?

• Completely redesigned, completely awesome, modern Android user interface.
  • Tablet support. We’ve targeted Nexus 7 and 10, and it looks great on others too.
  • Cross-device syncing of your subscriptions, playlists and play states on every Android device you own. We *love* this feature.
  • Remote backup. You can now drop your phone in a toilet and not lose your podcasts. Buying a new phone and setting it up has never been easier.
  • Actual smart dynamic playlists. Want a list of every unplayed, downloaded podcast? Right here. How about a list of video episodes that you haven’t downloaded yet? Easy. Manual playlists are here as well for the super picky among you.
  • A lot more. But we’re not telling the rest until we release it.

iu2cPxfgRqZlC.jpg

Cross-device syncing of your subscriptions, playlists and play states on every Android device you own. We *love* this feature.

Awesome. I don't know why this isn't a more common feature, it seems like everything is cloud-synced these days except for podcast managers.

kaskade

Remote backup. You can now drop your phone in a toilet and not lose your podcasts. Buying a new phone and setting it up has never been easier.

I giggled. I've been looking for a good podcast app. My old iPod touch is getting a little slow so it's kind of become annoying. Especially having to sync it whenever there's a new one. I'd rather just use my phone and have it auto download them (or show up) whenever a new episode is out. That app seems exactly like what I'm looking for.

I'm still using Google Listen for podcasts but I'm ready to upgrade.

I know beyond pod and doggcatcher are the most popular but is there a feature that Pocket Cast has over them currently? I really just need something that let's me set the time of updating and specific feeds to auto download.

If anyone is looking for a replacement Messages app, Sliding Messaging looks pretty solid.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UoX-7bdCpIM

I love the holo theming on this app, but having read through the XDA thread with the developer, I don't know if I can recommend the app. He ignores users reporting bugs and device incompatibility (including me), and with the last update was considering rolling out bug fixes only to the donate app, not the free one.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
I'm still using Google Listen for podcasts but I'm ready to upgrade.

I know beyond pod and doggcatcher are the most popular but is there a feature that Pocket Cast has over them currently? I really just need something that let's me set the time of updating and specific feeds to auto download.

Pocket Casts checks for new podcasts in the cloud. This means that your phone only has to connect once to Pocket Casts and not check every podcast individually. This saves you battery and data. This picture explains it better:

uKvJhck.jpg

KarmaCow

I blind bought PocketCasts and realised it wasn't for me so hopefully this makes it better than the free version of BeyondPod.

tino

Banned
Pocket Casts checks for new podcasts in the cloud. This means that your phone only has to connect once to Pocket Casts and not check every podcast individually. This saves you battery and data. This picture explains it better:

uKvJhck.jpg

you can do that with Beyondpod. If you manage your feeds on google reader, you can have beyondpod checked your google reader's combined feed for update.

I don't do it because I want to be able to get feed when I m oversea.

Hieberrr

I love the holo theming on this app, but having read through the XDA thread with the developer, I don't know if I can recommend the app. He ignores users reporting bugs and device incompatibility (including me), and with the last update was considering rolling out bug fixes only to the donate app, not the free one.
O___O Well that can't be good :S

Noob question but what do you mean by: "with Holo?"
Holo is the name for Google's Ice Cream Sandwich/Jellybean UI style. You'll notice that apps such a Google+, Youtube, Gmail, Reddit Sync, Dropbox, and most of the new apps follow Google's UI guidelines.

uKvJhck.jpg

That's pretty cool. Can you set it to only download certain podcasts automatically but refresh them all?

I listen to a few where if the topic doesn't interest me I skip it but others I download regardless of the topic.

W1SSY

That's pretty cool. Can you set it to only download certain podcasts automatically but refresh them all?

I listen to a few where if the topic doesn't interest me I skip it but others I download regardless of the topic.

I believe that is an option. You can set options for all the different podcasts and not have them auto-download but I assume they update to show the episode.

ShowDog

Any recommendations for a good email app? Gmail is cool but I have a few other accounts and haven't found anything solid yet.

Zaph

Does anyone know of good Puzzle Quest style games? I've gone through Elements Battle, Triple Town and Dungeon Raid.

Or really any good RPG turn based battle style game (preferable without some massive story to slog through).

Speevy

Banned
My Dad just got a Nexus 7 but is kind of slow to pick up on apps and their features.

Can someone recommend an app that will provide the most immediate, automatic data usage management.

Basically I need something that will make it so he doesn't go over his limit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Dad just got one but is kind of slow to pick up on apps and their features.

Can someone recommend an app that will provide the most immediate, automatic data usage management.

Basically I need something that will make it so he doesn't go over his limit.
There's a built in utility in Settings.

RetroMG

What are the pros and cons of Pocket Casts over say DoggCatcher? I've been using DC but I'm not thrilled about a few things with it.

Speevy

Banned
There's a built in utility in Settings.

I know. It's very hard to explain this stuff to him over the phone. He has trouble articulating why he keeps going over his limit, so I was hoping there was a silver bullet app.

Something that just stops wasteful data usage automatically.

netBuff

What are the pros and cons of Pocket Casts over say DoggCatcher? I've been using DC but I'm not thrilled about a few things with it.

Pocket Casts has a much better and easier to use interface, and it updates my 70+ podcast feeds extremely fast (in seconds). It's a great app, I've been using it for years now. Plus it's about to get better with the upcoming version 4: I highly recommend it over DoggCatcher.

Yes, you can set Pocket Cast to only auto-download certain casts. Other feeds will still be updated, and will show the episodes with a "streaming" as well as "download" button.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Carbon will be up on the Store in a hour or so.
Let see does all that waiting pay off for the same deva.

I feel Falcon Pro has taken the market for a holo themed Twitter app with good support.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Carbon will be up on the Store in a hour or so.
Let see does all that waiting pay off for the same deva.

I feel Falcon Pro has taken the market for a holo themed Twitter app with good support.
So excited.

giga

Falcon Pro isn't anything special. Tried it and left unimpressed with the amount of padding and lines it needs to surround each tweet with.

Carbon is…really flashy on first impression. Let's see how good it is in actual use.

Edit: Is their "settings" page for real?

Top Bottom