• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

3phemeral

Did they even make any effort to create generic phonemes for the mouth animation?
KuGsj.gif

Donos

I really like Zplayer as my main music player but one thing that i hate is the big volume jumps/gaps. One setting is to quiet and the next one is to loud (i listen to a lot of drum and bass). Needs a way finer tuning.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think carbon was rushed. It's complete but still missing a bunch of things.

Press needs swipe for next articles. The buttons aren't nice.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really like Zplayer as my main music player but one thing that i hate is the big volume jumps/gaps. One setting is to quiet and the next one is to loud (i listen to a lot of drum and bass). Needs a way finer tuning.
Z is amazing but I need a sleep timer so I stick with Rocket Player.

joaomgcd

I'm trying to make my app AutoRemote easier to use for first time users, so I decided I would do a bunch of videos leading people through various scenarios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Uu7x6PGYA

This is the video for absolute beginners and the first video a new user should see. You think it's adequate for this purpose? Any feedback would be welcome. :)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

I can see this being picked up by like, Google or Apple and integrated into their core service - as long as it can be made quality. If you could communicate with it too?... baller.

"Today's top articles in your feed are:
Baby shoots basketball like a baller
North Korea doesn't know when to stop fronting
How guns are bad and you should feel bad about liking them"

"I'd like to listen to guns making me feel bad please"

"Okay!

Today Top lawmakers say that guns are good. Except the other lawmakers say they are bad...
"

I would pay money for that if it were high qual.

HildyB

Carbon for Twitter - Not really feeling it, it just took so long to come out and it doesn't seem as polished as one would hope after such a long wait. I was using Falcon Pro a few weeks before this came out and I think it better functionally.

I did go ahead and purchase Carbon App Sync though. Very cool application for backing up App data. When I get the fancy to try for a new game of Puzzle & Dragons I can back up my current one and try a few re-rolls before restoring it. Backs up to Dropbox or Drive (and some others). A must if you like rooting and using custom roms. Great alternative to Titanium Backup.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Carbon for Twitter - Not really feeling it, it just took so long to come out and it doesn't seem as polished as one would hope after such a long wait. I was using Falcon Pro a few weeks before this came out and I think it better functionally.

I did go ahead and purchase Carbon App Sync though. Very cool application for backing up App data. When I get the fancy to try for a new game of Puzzle & Dragons I can back up my current one and try a few re-rolls before restoring it. Backs up to Dropbox or Drive (and some others). A must if you like rooting and using custom roms. Great alternative to Titanium Backup.

Both apps for an update today. Carbon Backup got some battery improvements, really great app.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I've been using GO SMS for text messages but I notice if I send a mms with Go, it shows a link in the default messenger app instead of the actual pic.

If I send a pic via the default sms app, the pic is sent with no link.

Has it always been like this??

What to-do/productivity app are you guys using?

I can't find one that completly satisfies me. Astrid has everything, but is a little bit bloated. I think it's also very stupid that the confirming "ok" button for new tasks can only reached through scrolling (at least on the Nexus 4). Very small issue but still annoying.

Any.Do looks very nice but has some issues. If your phone has a reminder set during a shutdown, you don't get any notification. And why does the app use its own auto-suggestion and not the one of me keyboard?

Wunderlist 2 looks nice, but somehow it doesn't feel right.

Any other good apps?

Guys any calendar apps you can recommend? I'm using S-Memo (I believe stock Samsung app) but it is convoluted somehow. Any good alternatives?

8bit

Knows the Score

Yeah, same here. I'd been concerned about losing my Where's My Water/Perry saved games but now I've got them backed up to drive and can share them between my Tablet & Phone.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
What are the search features like on Carbon? I'm still just using the official Twitter app, and search (the best feature of Twitter), is terrible. I think I tried Plume and didn't like it much either.

radjago

I'm looking for something between a news app and an RSS reader. Something that will aggregate stories from all over, but prioritize sources that I choose or allow me to choose the source for each story. Similar to Google news, but more customizable.

I've tried Google News, Google Reader, Taptu, Pulse, Zite, and Flipboard, but none of them quite get it right.

I'm also looking for a podcatcher that does accelerated playback, similar to Downcast for iOS.

Schlep

Not sure if this exists or not... Anyone know of a holo app that mirrors the Do Not Disturb function in the iPhone? There are a few not so nice looking ones I've been able to find so far.

I can't find one that completly satisfies me. Astrid has everything, but is a little bit bloated. I think it's also very stupid that the confirming "ok" button for new tasks can only reached through scrolling (at least on the Nexus 4). Very small issue but still annoying.

Any.Do looks very nice but has some issues. If your phone has a reminder set during a shutdown, you don't get any notification. And why does the app use its own auto-suggestion and not the one of me keyboard?

Any other good apps?

Tasks

GTasks

Both are really simple, holo designed and sync with google tasks. Both have free versions. Tasks paid is 1$

Any other good apps?

NoNonsense Notes

oh, and if anyone wants to go deeper... as in nests in nests in nests in nests of lists... Deep List

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give Gtasks a try. You have to wonder why Google does not create a to-do app. Would make a nice fit with the calendar and the Gmail tasks.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give Gtasks a try. You have to wonder why Google does not create a to-do app. Would make a nice fit with the calendar and the Gmail tasks.

Vanilla android was missing something simple like a stopwatch and countdown timer app till now (came with 4.2), so go figure...

marcurius

So I'm going to Japan on vacation at the end of march, I'll be travelling around a bit and while I'll have a wifi dongle of some sort I'd like to have a backup just in case, and I was looking into downloading offline maps in Google Maps.

However, it seems Google has disallowed offline maps for the entirety of Japan, which seems pretty shitty honestly. So I was wondering if anyone know of a workaround or a good map app that does have offline maps of Japan.

I have a Nexus 7 if that matters.

la_briola

So I'm going to Japan on vacation at the end of march, I'll be travelling around a bit and while I'll have a wifi dongle of some sort I'd like to have a backup just in case, and I was looking into downloading offline maps in Google Maps.

However, it seems Google has disallowed offline maps for the entirety of Japan, which seems pretty shitty honestly. So I was wondering if anyone know of a workaround or a good map app that does have offline maps of Japan.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android

edit: There is a ton as you can see. I guess you could start with OsmAnd and Navfree.

panda21

i had this same problem, when I tried to use openstreetmaps in Japan it was absolutely useless (just wrong information on the maps and kept thinking I was in the sea when I wasn't).

not sure if its possible on the nexus 7 but if you can find the apk for the older version of google maps and install it, that had offline maps as a labs feature, that will work. you should be able to find it on xda.

tirant

I recently got a Nexus 10, and need some recommendation for an eBook reader. I have lots of IT books in PDF format that look like shit on my kindle and would like to read them in my nexus 10.

Damaged

The trip advisor App for Tokyo is very good if you end up there, all offline maps with good listings of food places, attractions, etc..

Edit for linkage:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...Nvci5hbmRyb2lkLmFwcHMuY2l0eWd1aWRlLnRva3lvIl0.

tirant

Aldiko may be worth a look: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Aldiko+Limited

(I don't have a comprehensive view of the ePub/PDF reader market on Android, so others may be able to provide better suggestions).

Oh, yes, Aldiko!!! I used to have it on my 'rooted' Nook Color! It was quite nice! Thanks for telling me, I totally forgot about it!

I like this one, it's pretty fast and smooth and supports labelled bookmarks:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radaee.pdf&hl=en

Thanks! Looks nice! I will check it tonight!

marcurius

i had this same problem, when I tried to use openstreetmaps in Japan it was absolutely useless (just wrong information on the maps and kept thinking I was in the sea when I wasn't).

not sure if its possible on the nexus 7 but if you can find the apk for the older version of google maps and install it, that had offline maps as a labs feature, that will work. you should be able to find it on xda.

I found the apk but it didn't want to install, as the tablet saw it as an update and I obviously have a later version. Probably works if I uninstall Google Maps first but I can't be bothered...

I found something called MapsWithMe, though, and they have really good maps of Stockholm at least. A lot of features seem to be behind a pay wall, such as search, but it was pretty cheap so I think I'll buy it. Gonna give it a whirl tomorrow at/heading to work and see if it holds up outside the apartment.

The trip advisor App for Tokyo is very good if you end up there, all offline maps with good listings of food places, attractions, etc..

Edit for linkage:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WRlLnRva3lvIl0.

I'll only be in Tokyo for 3-4 days, but thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Top Bottom