• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

buhdeh

Don't really care for Falcon either. I'm liking carbon so far but I have a feeling I'll just go back to the default twitter app.

Cudder

Don't really care for Falcon either. I'm liking carbon so far but I have a feeling I'll just go back to the default twitter app.

Yup, every 3rd party twitter app that tries something different with their design/UI is more convoluted than it needs to be. it's cool to use for 5 minutes, but I'm always right back to the official Twitter app. Simple, fast, and it works. I'd like it if they switched the row of buttons to the bottom like iOS though.

giga

No readability support or in-app browser. ಠ_ಠ

Yup, every 3rd party twitter app that tries something different with their design/UI is more convoluted than it needs to be. it's cool to use for 5 minutes, but I'm always right back to the official Twitter app. Simple, fast, and it works. I'd like it if they switched the row of buttons to the bottom like iOS though.
Yes, I'm not a fan of the tab bar being on top that seems to be so prevalent in apps. It's just harder for me to tap, especially on a 4.7" screen. I think it's a part of the Android design language.

bigkrev

Are you a Tweetbot fan? If so, lol...

I'm a tweetbot fan, and I spent the last few days trying every Twitter app on the store. Carbon is the first 1 that I really like, but I only wish it had a white option instead of the ugly black background.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use Tweetbot on a daily basis for both Twitter and ADN. Triple tap, though? Give me a break. That app isn't without issue, either.

It doesn't make sense to have navigation on the bottom like what's done in iOS. Android has the system navigation down there.

Hit the back button to exit out of Carbon. Very slick. I don't think I've seen any other app have an animation for that. Nice.

giga

For mentions and messages which can be turned off. Not actual app updates.
There doesn't seem to be streaming support. I have tweetbot and twitter for mac loaded and both are getting new tweets in real time, while Carbon isn't showing anything. (Until I refresh manually.)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Tried it there for a few mins. Didn't impress me compared to Falcon Pro.
All flash animations but no usability. Have to press the 3 dot button to get to lists, favourites and trends. No built in browser.

All these are one swipe away left or right in Falcon Pro.

buhdeh

There doesn't seem to be streaming support. I have tweetbot and twitter for mac loaded and both are getting new tweets in real time, while Carbon isn't showing anything. (Until I refresh manually.)

Hmm never really found streaming support all that useful when I was still on my iPhone. I mean I check the app once, then close it.

Al-ibn Kermit

Notification toggle is amazing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...m_medium=organic&utm_term=notification+toggle

Finally, I can control alarm, brightness, camera, auto rotate, battery stats and dozens of other settings from the notification tray. And customize the icon and text color and size. You can split your toggles into two "lines" and sort the order, as well as make shortcuts to apps for the especially lazy.

The free version is really beefy and apparently the premium version for $1.29 allows custom shortcuts within apps that support it which I guess might be nice but I don't really see the need for it.

Screenshot of how I've got it set up:

http://www.imgur.com/iuaf21y.png

You can press the arrow in the right of the first line to hide or reappear the bottom line of toggles.

Anyone recommend a good music player app on my Galaxy S2? =)
Google Music is good just because of the cloud syncing thing. Only complaint is that the notification bar widget doesn't let you go to the previous track.

giga

Hmm never really found streaming support all that useful when I was still on my iPhone. I mean I check the app once, then close it.
My use case was something like this: I would open the app and check the latest tweets on my timeline. Usually I would see an interesting conversation that took me some time to go through, a link to an article or app, or I would check my other lists. So in that period of time, there would usually be new tweets posted. With streaming, I wouldn't need to pull to refresh to see if I missed something before exiting.

la_briola

Tried it there for a few mins. Didn't impress me compared to Falcon Pro.
All flash animations but no usability. Have to press the 3 dot button to get to lists, favourites and trends. No built in browser.

All these are one swipe away left or right in Falcon Pro.

I agree with everything you said. The built in browser for example, ist just wonderful. I often use it to browse GAF (thanks to @NeoGAFNewThread).

Anyone have a recommended scheduled automation app? I need an app that will automatically disable WiFi and put my phone on silent when I'm at work and re enable when I'm off. Based off a post in this thread, I tried llama, but I live too close to work so the cell phone tower locating doesn't work right and the GPS add on isn't consistent either.

navanman

Anyone have a recommended scheduled automation app? I need an app that will automatically disable WiFi and put my phone on silent when I'm at work and re enable when I'm off. Based off a post in this thread, I tried llama, but I live too close to work so the cell phone tower locating doesn't work right and the GPS add on isn't consistent either.
Tasker can do this. Its ugly but extremely powerful and flexible.
Does your phone have NFC? If you do, get some NFC tags and program them to perform the actions you want with NFC Task Launcher.

Yen

Whats the best (free) keyboard app? I was using the SwiftKey3 trial version, but the trial period is over.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Whats the best (free) keyboard app? I was using the SwiftKey3 trial version, but the trial period is over.

Pay for swiftkey, its well worth the money. In the alternative, get the swiftkey flow beta, its free and you can use until swiftkey goes on one of its regular sales.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Notification toggle is amazing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...m_medium=organic&utm_term=notification+toggle

Finally, I can control alarm, brightness, camera, auto rotate, battery stats and dozens of other settings from the notification tray. And customize the icon and text color and size. You can split your toggles into two "lines" and sort the order, as well as make shortcuts to apps for the especially lazy.

The free version is really beefy and apparently the premium version for $1.29 allows custom shortcuts within apps that support it which I guess might be nice but I don't really see the need for it.

Screenshot of how I've got it set up:

http://www.imgur.com/iuaf21y.png

You can press the arrow in the right of the first line to hide or reappear the bottom line of toggles.

Google Music is good just because of the cloud syncing thing. Only complaint is that the notification bar widget doesn't let you go to the previous track.
Power Toggles is better. Try it.

navanman

You can use your mobile network operator to pay in the play store.
Or add a purchase PIN to stop unauthorised use of your account if someone is using your phone.
I agree with the above guys, purchase SwiftKey. Great app and support from the developers.

Stryder

I have tried Swype, Swiftkey, and various other keyboards and have settled on Kii Keyboard. I just find it doesn't misunderstand what I'm trying to input as much as the others, a simple no nonsense gesture swiping keyboard with accurate results.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AirDroid did it first!

Any other apps like that?
Yes but Power Toggles takes the crown imo.

I especially like this functionality:
Android currently does not support adding a notification which is always on the top. You can enable an accessibility service which pushes the widget on the top whenever a new notification arrives.
On the main application screen, click the pin icon in the notification section, and enable the “Power Controls” accessibility service to make the widget pin to the top of the notification area.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Did anyone stick with Press either?
As in the RSS reader app? That's what I use since I didn't care for Feedly or Google's own Reader application. I wish I could swipe to change articles rather than hitting a down button and manage my subscriptions within the application, but other than that, I like it.

Gaaraz

All of the RSS apps are irritating - I hate how Google Currents won't show you a list of all recent news for example, and I hate how Feedly won't show you the full article with a nice layout, it forces you to view the site. Agh!

jokkir

So anyone end up sticking with carbon lol

Did anyone stick with Press either?

Nope. Carbon kept crashing on my Nexus S so I uninstalled it (like 10 minutes after the first install). Falcon Pro is good enough for now and is more stable.

All of the RSS apps are irritating - I hate how Google Currents won't show you a list of all recent news for example, and I hate how Feedly won't show you the full article with a nice layout, it forces you to view the site. Agh!
The Currents widget does that. As for Feedly, it's really dependent on the RSS in particular.

Is Tapatalk worth a buy? Does NEOGAF show up on it? I'm deciding or not whether to get it, and if any forums I use are showing up on it.

Top Bottom