• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Google Music seems to be duplicating the times I play a song. I was listening to Foreigner and noticed that it began to play I'm Gonna Win twice. Then I open up Last.fm and see this:

3TGcEtF.png

Well, I most certainly did not listen to Break It Up 5 times in a row! The hell is this? It pisses me off that every music player I've tried has issues with it, mainly lacking gapless playback most of the time. Google Music may be wonky but I can access all 13,000 of my songs from it. Is this a known issue?

So I'm going to Japan on vacation at the end of march, I'll be travelling around a bit and while I'll have a wifi dongle of some sort I'd like to have a backup just in case, and I was looking into downloading offline maps in Google Maps.

However, it seems Google has disallowed offline maps for the entirety of Japan, which seems pretty shitty honestly. So I was wondering if anyone know of a workaround or a good map app that does have offline maps of Japan.

I have a Nexus 7 if that matters.

This isn't super helpful, but a good spot to ask a related query: Moon+ Reader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/...SwxLDMsImNvbS5mbHllcnNvZnQubW9vbnJlYWRlcnAiXQ) is on sale, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this vs other eBook reader apps like Alkiko.

DAMMIT WRONG POST. I meant to quote this post.

Google Music seems to be duplicating the times I play a song. I was listening to Foreigner and noticed that it began to play I'm Gonna Win twice. Then I open up Last.fm and see this:

Well, I most certainly did not listen to Break It Up 5 times in a row! The hell is this? It pisses me off that every music player I've tried has issues with it, mainly lacking gapless playback most of the time. Google Music may be wonky but I can access all 13,000 of my songs from it. Is this a known issue?

I had that problem until I installed scrobbledroid instead of the official lastfm app... It will still do it if I pause a track and re start it though, so I dont know if its a coincidence or what

nan0

Is there a small widget that can display unread mail from a unified inbox? The default Android widget is kinda ugly and too big, and the one from K9 only displays one account.

Nyx

My GF got a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini since last weekend and the first thing she did was downloading the Spotify app as she has a premium account there.

But she has so many problems with it....

First songs pauzed every 2 seconds, she solved this already.
But she still has to wait at least 30 seconds when she presses ''forward'' or selects a random song, before the song actually starts playing.

Any tips or workarounds perhaps?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Still rather disappointed that the super sexy Z-player is so flawed. Man, it's just so beautiful but Rocket Player is so much more functional.

hodgy100

My GF got a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini since last weekend and the first thing she did was downloading the Spotify app as she has a premium account there.

But she has so many problems with it....

First songs pauzed every 2 seconds, she solved this already.
But she still has to wait at least 30 seconds when she presses ''forward'' or selects a random song, before the song actually starts playing.

Any tips or workarounds perhaps?

sounds like the app is having trouble buffering, check the settings and turn down the quality to normal if it isnt set to that, if it is, then it could quite simply be that your mobile internet isnt fast enough :(

you could also try connecting via wifi instead, it could just be that the mobiles internet isnt fast enough

Nyx

sounds like the app is having trouble buffering, check the settings and turn down the quality to normal if it isnt set to that, if it is, then it could quite simply be that your mobile internet isnt fast enough :(

you could also try connecting via wifi instead, it could just be that the mobiles internet isnt fast enough

Thanks, will have a look at the settings then.

Basically chronus for non-cm devies (4.2)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ce-lockscreen-widget-for-android-4-2-devices/

DashClock Widget combines many of the most common widgets – Gmail unread count, weather, calendar, missed calls, text messages, and alarms – into one clean, sophisticated, customizable widget. The clock is the only thing that's static, so you can choose which "extensions" should be displayed. And if you want to remove one, you can swipe it away in the settings menu.

nexusae0_Screenshot_2013-02-12-10-04-45_thumb.png

JonnyBrad

Tried this, but it always ends up on "Page 2" of the lock screen, how can I actually make it my default lockscreen?

Delete whatever is on page one by removing it in (hold on the widget, the drag to the remove text) the furthest right widget is the one that will be the default one.

KillGore

So they released "Pokémon TV". It's an official app from The Pokemon Company, and they include some episodes of every season (except orange island, it seems). They seem to refresh the episodes weekly or something. They also include 1 movie.

Edit:

Video

xlarge.jpg

Via Kotaku

Not only does the free app, available today on iTunes and Google Play, feature a weekly rotation of cartoon episodes, it'll also host feature length films and other special videos, beginning with Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice from February 15-18 and the debut of the animated short "Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade" starting February 15.

Doopliss

^ Was about to write a review but then I realised my real name would be attached. Can't risk the humiliation lol.

Anyway I was just going to say that it's a pretty neat thing but I wish the old episodes were in their original aspect ratio. Makes it feel like some bootleg crap with the picture all squashed like that.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Are there any good music apps that remembers where you left off on the file? I burned some audio books I want to listen to while driving but I think stock ones restart from start every time. Kinda like a podcast app but with mp3s and such.

Horseticuffs

Are there any good music apps that remembers where you left off on the file? I burned some audio books I want to listen to while driving but I think stock ones restart from start every time. Kinda like a podcast app but with mp3s and such.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but every music app I've tried continues from where you've left off. Have you tried Rocket Player? It's kind of ugly but the functionality and features are all there. It's never let me down.

Dunlop

Anything changed with Swiftkey?

I managed to get ICS on my Optimus Black but when I go to my apps or the playstore it want's me to purchase it.

It was literally my first purchase on Android

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anything changed with Swiftkey?

I managed to get ICS on my Optimus Black but when I go to my apps or the playstore it want's me to purchase it.

It was literally my first purchase on Android

There's Swiftkey and Swiftkey X, and also a tablet version. All separate. And soon I think Flow, which is another step forward and I imagine will require a new purchase.

There's Swiftkey and Swiftkey X, and also a tablet version. All separate. And soon I think Flow, which is another step forward and I imagine will require a new purchase.

SwiftKey and SwiftKey X are the same thing, they called the 2.xx versions SwiftKey X.

SwiftKey Flow is the 4.xx version and it will be an upgrade.

you're right about the separate Tablet version though!

there are also free versions of SwiftKey and SwiftKey Tablet available that have the advanced features available for a month.

Oyashiro

Anyone know a good alternative to the Messaging app? Something that's fast and has quick reply. AOSP messaging is ugly, and Sliding Messaging is buggy as fuck.

sun-drop

really looking fwd to the plex update .... my tv finally got the client in it's app store ..if i can run a server off my phone/tab/pc all at once i'll be killin it

Anybody use Reader HD?

I just got it and one of the features is: "Support listening Podcast feeds".

I have a bunch of podcast feed on my Google Reader account, but Reader HD doesn't seem to include any way to listen to them through itself or even include download links. Best I can figure out is to get it to link to site through Chrome.

Can Reader HD play/stream/download podcast files or did I misinterpret what "listening Podcast feeds" are?

netBuff

Anybody use Reader HD?

I just got it and one of the features is: "Support listening Podcast feeds".

I have a bunch of podcast feed on my Google Reader account, but Reader HD doesn't seem to include any way to listen to them through itself or even include download links. Best I can figure out is to get it to link to site through Chrome.

Can Reader HD play/stream/download podcast files or did I misinterpret what "listening Podcast feeds" are?

If you open an item in a podcast feed, a big green "Listen now!" button should appear. But while Reader is a very competent RSS/Google Reader client, I don't think it is a reasonable replacement for a fully-featured podcasting client like Pocket Casts (which is getting tablet support with the next update: http://blog.shiftyjelly.com/2013/02/01/coming-soon-pocket-casts-4-on-android/)

PaulLFC

I'm thinking of getting WidgetLocker to customise the lockscreen (since, unless I'm doing anything wrong, 4.2 only seems to allow one widget per lockscreen).

Before I do, is it possible to make it look similar to LockInfo on iOS (displaying unread emails, texts and calendar appointments etc in a list on the same screen, while tapping them opens the selected item)?

I've been looking for a LockInfo replacement for ages, it's the only thing I miss from my old iPhone.

I'm thinking of getting WidgetLocker to customise the lockscreen (since, unless I'm doing anything wrong, 4.2 only seems to allow one widget per lockscreen).

Before I do, is it possible to make it look similar to LockInfo on iOS (displaying unread emails, texts and calendar appointments etc in a list on the same screen, while tapping them opens the selected item)?

I've been looking for a LockInfo replacement for ages, it's the only thing I miss from my old iPhone.

Try Dashclock (it's free) it has all that you need. Weather info, unread messages, unread gmail, next appointment, battery info and has extension support (extensions as play store apps that add more funcionality)

buhdeh

How come my DashClock widget looks so much more off-center and smaller than it does in the play store screenshot? Did they add another column to the right of the clock?

Horseticuffs

Guys, I'm making my new phone a WP8 clone with launcher8. It's pretty badass so far, but can anyone hook a bro up with an FAQ? I can't figure out how to make folders and a few other things.

I've found surprisingly little about this app online. Here's a pic of my handiwork so far!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'm making my new phone a WP8 clone with launcher8. It's pretty badass so far, but can anyone hook a bro up with an FAQ? I can't figure out how to make folders and a few other things.

I've found surprisingly little about this app online. Here's a pic of my handiwork so far!

ooooh! I thought you can just set the crappy stock icons for the tiles, didn't know you can customize them that much. Is it possible to build a weird Stock Android/Tiles bastard homescreen with it? Like, mixing icons and tiles and folders?

Horseticuffs

ooooh! I thought you can just set the crappy stock icons for the tiles, didn't know you can customize them that much. Is it possible to build a weird Stock Android/Tiles bastard homescreen with it? Like, mixing icons and tiles and folders?
You can use stock icons, the icons the app comes with, even pictures from your gallery!

I've been laboring in earnest and now my phone is shit hot :p I might even get a colored case for my phone to match!

Angst

You can use stock icons, the icons the app comes with, even pictures from your gallery!

I've been laboring in earnest and now my phone is shit hot :p I might even get a colored case for my phone to match!

Are you Copernicus' alt account?

Anyway, the only person in here that I know have any experience with Launcher8 is Copernicus.

Not sure if this is of any use, but I used to use Google reader for podcasts. I've exported the data (under the settings > import/export tab) you can download an .xml file in a folder. Then you can import that into any good podcasting app. I've just switched from Google Listen which seems to suck, and hasn't made much progress to Antennaepod which then imports said .XML fairly easily. Hope this helps.

Just upgraded my phone from 2.2 to 2.3, feels nice to have a new OS. Gonna lurk a bit and see if I can find any cool apps I've never thought of.

PaulLFC

Try Dashclock (it's free) it has all that you need. Weather info, unread messages, unread gmail, next appointment, battery info and has extension support (extensions as play store apps that add more funcionality)
Thanks, Dashclock is really nice. The one small drawback is having to swipe down to see the information rather than it being always available, but maybe I've set it up wrong or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks, Dashclock is really nice. The one small drawback is having to swipe down to see the information rather than it being always available, but maybe I've set it up wrong or something.
No, that's unfortunately how it is.

Angst

CM10.1 has a setting that makes all widgets expanded by default on the lockscreen.

3phemeral

For those of you who were Chameleon Launcher Kickstarter backers, I got a surprising email from Teknison:

Hello Backers,

It has been a while.

We have been busy. Very busy. Over the last couple months we have been working hard on some major enhancements to Chameleon as well as getting Chameleon to the phone.

To achieve the best experience possible on the phone we had to do some radical experience and interface re-work. Not only does this bring a premium Chameleon experience to the phone, but to the tablet as well.

A beta version of Chameleon, for both the tablet and the phone, will be abvailable in about two weeks. From there we will be working on refining it and tightening it up.

Until then, to keep you tied over, we have two sneak peek videos for you. The New Chameleon Launcher on the phone, and the tablet.

- The New Chameleon Launcher for Phones on a Nexus 4 -

- The New Chameleon Launcher for Tablets on a Nexus 7 -

Again we would like to thank you for your continued support. Chameleon grew out of your enthusiams and excitement. Our team is as eager to get this new version released as you are to get it onto your devices.

- The Chameleon Team

It appears that if you're a backer, you get access to the phone version as well. I'm not sure if I'll bother with the new update. On previous versions, with every new revision, I had to reauthorize all of my Google accounts. Plus, their interface for submitting a request and then allowing it is so damned clunky that it's a chore just to sign up multiple accounts, let alone set up your screen. I'll wait and see how other people react when it's released.

Top Bottom