• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Press updated with Dashclock integration.

That new Chameleon launcher video makes it look like it has been completely overhauled visually. And it doesn't look nearly as good as it used to.

jokkir

What's the best/ a good schedule making app? Kind of like an easy-to-make excel sheet or something so I can put my school schedule and other schedules on it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the best/ a good schedule making app? Kind of like an easy-to-make excel sheet or something so I can put my school schedule and other schedules on it?
Google Calendar. Put everything in on the website over your computer. Use different calendars for different tasks.

PaulLFC

I'm using Onavo Count to keep track of data usage, and by far the most data-hungry app at the moment is "Android OS + Others" which has used over half of my total data usage so far - and over double what Chrome has used.

A lot of apps seem to have entries separate to the "OS + others" one, so what could be using so much data? I was thinking email and calendar syncing, but that can't be using 115MB of data in less than 2 weeks, surely? I only have one Google account synced, does anyone know what else could be using the data?

MNC

It's INSANE how big Whatsapp is here in the Netherlands. I mean like, literally everybody with a smartphone has it and uses it. And then I heard something about it 'being dated', 'bad' or whatever. Is Whatsapp not big in USA?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's INSANE how big Whatsapp is here in the Netherlands. I mean like, literally everybody with a smartphone has it and uses it. And then I heard something about it 'being dated', 'bad' or whatever. Is Whatsapp not big in USA?
These days in Canada, most of the most basic plan offers unlimited SMS & MMS.

These days in Canada, most of the most basic plan offers unlimited SMS & MMS.

Most of the time basic plans (for teenagers) have unlimited SMS for same provider, but you pay to send to other provider. The same can be said for international SMS which can be fucking expensive in europe (like 0.5€ minimum in some cases).

I barely use SMS these days.

What is considered to be the best Google Reader app for Android? Google's official one is kinda bad.

I prefer Press over anyting else, clean design and is simple enough for me. It doesn't have all the features of Reeder from iOS, but I hope they bring them into Press at some point.

netBuff

What is considered to be the best Google Reader app for Android? Google's official one is kinda bad.

Reader is the program you want to get for Google Reader bliss on your mobile: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLmFnZW9mbW9iaWxlLnJlYWRlciJd

I prefer Press over anyting else, clean design and is simple enough for me. It doesn't have all the features of Reeder from iOS, but I hope they bring them into Press at some point.

I find Press to be pretty uncomfortable to use with their focus on single feeds. In terms of iOS I find Mr. Reader to be the app to get.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I've moved from Freely to Press, but they seriously need to get rid of the button interface and give gesture support for moving between items.

Ocho

Whatsapp is also pretty big here in Mexico. Rarely do people use sms now. I prefer to use facebook messenger, though.

Bboy AJ

Depends on your needs. I like Press the best but it lacks features. I use GoodNews for offline full article syncing.

PaulLFC

Depends on your needs. I like Press the best but it lacks features. I use GoodNews for offline full article syncing.
Time for me to check out GoodNews, I've been looking for a reader that downloads full articles instead of just the first couple of paragraphs and a "read more in browser" link.

Press would be perfect, if it has a mobilizer. I can't believe that a news reader still wants me to load the website. Reader is kinda ugly and it doesn't have an "all unread items" list, what the hell?

netBuff

Press would be perfect, if it has a mobilizer. I can't believe that a news reader still wants me to load the website. Reader is kinda ugly and it doesn't have an "all unread items" list, what the hell?

Reader does have an "all unread items" list: Just press "all items" in the main view and disable the displaying of read items (circle button in the left lower corner).

tino

Banned
Reader does have an "all unread items" list: Just press "all items" in the main view and disable the displaying of read items (circle button in the left lower corner).

Try Feedr.

You change the per feed setting to (auto expend and load image), it behave very much like web Google Reader.

Only problem is you can not combine feeds into a single folder to read, you have to read each feed separately.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Who decided that you need to be signed into the Amazon Appstore to use the apps you've gotten through it was a good idea?

I kind of wish Dashclock made themselves an in-app extension browser, and people submitted extensions to a central server, like Beautiful Widgets does with themes. It's hard keeping track of which apps are integrating with it, but not putting separate extensions on the market.

rinse82

Anybody know how to get Dashclock widget to show the notifications to the right in small text (like it does on my lockscreen) when I use the widget on my home screen?

When I use the widget on my homescreen, the notifications appear below the clock and font is huge.

bonesquad

I almost feel that way about Feedly. It does a great job and it does have a mobilizer, but it loads the entire site first before you can choose to view it in mobilzer form. Bah. I tried GoodNews which does automatically mobilize the view when you click 'read more', but I otherwise don't really like the bland look of the app. I like the pretty pictures of Feedly:)

Rikkun

It's pretty big here in Italy too, also because group chat.

When it's down people start freaking out.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hyped as hell for Swiftkey 4. Loved swiping on my Nexus 7, but my new phone only goes up to Ice cream sandwich (HTC One V) so I jumped on the Flow Beta and it is fucking fantastic.

I thought swiping would kinda suck on a small screen, but it's just as badass.

I was fooling around with my old iPod touch a few minutes ago and typing was such a pain with no swiping. I honestly don't know why Apple won't jump on board the future.

MNC

It's pretty big here in Italy too, also because group chat.

When it's down people start freaking out.

Yep, pretty much. I fucking love it too, though. The share easyness of sharing images inside groupchat and the internet-based messaging... So this is what MMSing feels like! Never sent MMSes because they are fucking expensive.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Got the update for SwiftKey and the Swipe works so much better right now for me than the beta. It's actually predicting my words right away now. Only thing I don't like is I miss swiping to delete my words.

3phemeral

Hey guys, quick question. I've been using the flow beta. Is the following link the app I want to buy? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

I thought it was gonna be called Swift Key 4.
I think it is, I just want to be completely sure.
Edit:

Trying it out right now with trial version. This is indeed my beloved keyboard!

It is. I'm happy that if you already bought it, they decided to update the original, rather than charge you for a new version. I imagine the Flow feature is significant enough a change to warrant a repurchase, but it would have sucked.

Best keyboard.

Woaa, the Flow feature is insane. You don't even have to hit the keys exactly; just get to the general direction. That is really fast! (Haven't used Swype before, so I can't compare)

Horseticuffs

Woaa, the Flow feature is insane. You don't even have to hit the keys exactly; just get to the general direction. That is really fast! (Haven't used Swype before, so I can't compare)

Swiping is a revelation, isn't it? In itself enough reason to stick with Android.

I love Swift key but I cannot stand the notification bar pop-up they added that let's you switch keyboards when you have another one besides stock installed whenever you're typing.

I find it really distracting and you cannot turn it off.

Horseticuffs

Am I retarded or are you not able to swipe "it's" nor "its" with SwiftKey?
There are times when some words prove surprisingly difficult. At times like that I find the correction bar infinitely helpful.

For instance I try to type "I" and I always get "iI" and it's fucking awful but I can use the bar to fix it.

Anyone else had that issue and know how to fix it? I've tried removing that phrase from the dictionary to no avail.

Horseticuffs

You can but it's a tetchy bitch to get. Priced, hearing, was, peanut and many more also cause me pain.
See, this is why I think it's so subjective. I just tried all of those words with no issues.

Off the top of my head the biggest word I've had issues with is "waste" and "reveal".

I think individual swiping style, and what the app learns from you has a huge effect.

See, this is why I think it's so subjective. I just tried all of those words with no issues.

Off the top of my head the biggest word I've had issues with is "waste" and "reveal".

I think individual swiping style, and what the app learns from you has a huge effect.

I selected accurate in the settings, may have to change that with the swipe enabled. Swype was so much better for me when I had that.

Bboy AJ

Awesome, the tablet version is on sale. Bought. I already have the phone version from a previous sale.

Top Bottom