• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
I still cannot enter "too" but now it works with "soon". I think learning makes a big difference, and also the regular keyboard is always still there.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I still cannot enter "too" but now it works with "soon". I think learning makes a big difference, and also the regular keyboard is always still there.
Mine actually is getting too pretty well nowadays.
Of course, it just now fucked up. I'll tell you one thing, this app learns "app" and swear words like a champ. Stock jellybean keyboard sucks for those.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Google Now wished me a happy birthday today. How nice of it!

Google Now said:
ibw7CYuHfucbft.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That was the un-stealthiest fishing for a "happy birthday" I ever saw!

Happy Birthday man! :D

Whoa, I used swiftkey flow all throughout beta and it was good but this final release update really improved it a ton. Best free app I ever got off of Amazon.

Just got the update. First post with it here. For a while there I was considering switching back to Swype because it was missing way too many words plus I miss how easy it is for proper nouns that needed capitalization, but the new version is nice so far and I don't regret paying for it. When Swype updates and fixes the problem with forum posting though, I'm dropping SwiftKey.

kaskade

It seems like pocket casts 4 is coming out on wednesday the 27th. I've been using this version a bit and it's not bad. Can't wait for the pretty new UI.

Well I was curious and a little excited to try this out.
Installed it and found that Japanese keyboard is not present. It instantly became useless.
Uninstall.

On the app page I mistook Javanese for Japanese.

Well it's back to go keyboard for me.

sonitii

Is it not possible to buy Android apps on the Google Play store without first having a device linked and registered to your Google account? I don't have an Android tablet or phone yet, but want to jump on sales and freebie apps in preparation.

adelante

Is it not possible to buy Android apps on the Google Play store without first having a device linked and registered to your Google account? I don't have an Android tablet or phone yet, but want to jump on sales and freebie apps in preparation.

I discovered a way to do just that when I needed to check my Whatsapp messages (damaged my iPhone, used a dumbphone while waiting to get my Samsung GNote 2). Download bluestacks, an Android emulator for the PC/Mac, log into the Playstore there and start downloading apps. Bluestacks actually emulates a T-Mobile Samsung GT-N7000, so it's listed as one of the devices I own under my Google Play account.. as a result, I learnt I was able to get around the issue of buying region specific apps by having them directed to that device instead of my Note2

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I love Swift key but I cannot stand the notification bar pop-up they added that let's you switch keyboards when you have another one besides stock installed whenever you're typing.

I find it really distracting and you cannot turn it off.

That's annoying, yup. Thankfully, CM has an option to disable that.

Horseticuffs

A neat feature I've noticed of SwiftKey is that you can swipe partial words. Let's say you keep screwing up "partial" and it gives you "pastoral", you can manually type P A R and then swipe the rest of the letters and it works.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the stock JB keyboard swiping allowing that. This keyboard is fucking bonkers. So convenient!

sonitii

I discovered a way to do just that when I needed to check my Whatsapp messages (damaged my iPhone, used a dumbphone while waiting to get my Samsung GNote 2). Download bluestacks, an Android emulator for the PC/Mac, log into the Playstore there and start downloading apps. Bluestacks actually emulates a T-Mobile Samsung GT-N7000, so it's listed as one of the devices I own under my Google Play account.. as a result, I learnt I was able to get around the issue of buying region specific apps by having them directed to that device instead of my Note2

Interesting. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the info.

8bit

Knows the Score
Google Now wished me a happy birthday today. How nice of it!

A few years ago I was pleased to see birthday themed stuff on Google at my birthday thinking it was nice that they noticed. Turns out it was just Google celebrating itself as they've chosen my birthday as the offical Google birth date.

sgossard

I've done this too. This combined with spotflux will get you almost any region-restricted app. That's how I got Spotify on my phone in an unavailable country WUT?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I find Swiftkey 4 a bit laggier than the the last version before the update, it's hanging up, while typing fast, quite often for me.

SimleuqiR

Jebus! DashClock just gets better and better.

Wonder if this Googler is using his 20% of his time to work on this little project.

There's even a Whatsapp, Gtalk, and App launcher extension for it!

Threi

notag
Loving dashclock so much. Completely justifies the 4.2 lockscreen

*edit* haha decided to randomly praise dashclock and gotten beaten to it.

Its definitely a must have for anyone on 4.2

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really liking SwiftKey 4 so far. I was using SwiftKey earlier and loved it back then as well, but then the default keyboard got "swype" which I found myself really liking, so I stuck with that. Now that SwiftKey has it too I think I'm back for good. The swiping seems just as good as the stock keyboard (with some nice added features), and the prediction engine is as awesome as ever. Plus, SwiftKey lets you type in any installed language without manually switching (I type a lot in both English and Swedish).

Loving dashclock so much. Completely justifies the 4.2 lockscreen

*edit* haha decided to randomly praise dashclock and gotten beaten to it.

Its definitely a must have for anyone on 4.2

Hmm, I've tried it, but I just don't quite "get it", I guess. I can already see what notifications I have on the lock screen, they're right up in the status bar. Why would I want them in two places? I don't really need to see at a glance how many e-mails or text messages I have, and if I want to see the details I unlock the phone and check the notifications. I also like keeping my phone secure (I always use a lock pattern), so I don't actually want e-mail snippets and similar stuff to show up on the lock screen.

Doopliss

The one thing I've found Swiftkey to be bad at is correcting previously typed words. When you tap a word it brings back the three suggestions in the bar above the keyboard, but those always include the predicted word which you don't want, so you're only getting two alternatives. In comparison the stock Android keyboard lets you double-tap or long-press a word and choose from five alternatives.

jokkir

Best thing about Swiftkey 4 is that you can backspace to an incomplete word and swipe and it'll add it to the word. So let's say you spelled "Go" and you decide to go back and swipe "ing" at the end, it'll concatenate it to make the word "Going". Pretty neat.

Horseticuffs

Hey guys, recently I bought an HTC one V and am really loving it. The one issue is that it's got relatively little RAM and during intensive multitasking sometimes my music will cut out.

Is there some way I could give my music app priority? Any significant way to speed my phone up short of overclocking it? I was thinking Nova Launcher since I use it on my Nexus 7, but I read that HTC Sense was pretty damn quick to begin with and a launcher app might actually slow me down.

UPDATE :
Ok, so I did three things which seem to have helped.
1) Uninstalled Firefox and installed Dolphin Mini. Web browsing is much snappier now.
2) Grabbed Nova Launcher and eliminated many system animations. Hard to explain how it looks now, but it's much more responsive.
3) My music problem where it would skip and crash frequently, sometimes with nothing else going on, was fixed by switching to Play Music from Rocket Player.

I don't know if because play music is a stock, default app it has higher priority or if Rocket is just shit.

Anywho, I'm a very happy camper right now. Overall a much tighter experience.

upandaway

I want to say that I upgraded to SwiftKey 4 but well, I can't find any changelogs between it and the latest SwiftKey Flow beta upgrade before it. What exactly changed?

Other than that I love it like I loved the beta, it's really neat.

Best thing about Swiftkey 4 is that you can backspace to an incomplete word and swipe and it'll add it to the word. So let's say you spelled "Go" and you decide to go back and swipe "ing" at the end, it'll concatenate it to make the word "Going". Pretty neat.
Yeah that's crazy. I found it out by chance I think 2 weeks ago, and it really clicks with my writing style.

PaulLFC

Maybe it's a bug with 4.2.2, but Silencify seems to be a huge battery hog. I thought my battery was running out quickly, so I checked the app usage in settings and it had used 19% of the battery, even more than Chrome which is one of my most used apps.

Just got a Nexus 4 after nearly 3 years with an iPhone. I'm a podcasts hog so I was wondering what the general consensus is as the best podcast app that will automatically download new episodes?

Thanks

PaulLFC

Just got a Nexus 4 after nearly 3 years with an iPhone. I'm a podcasts hog so I was wondering what the general consensus is as the best podcast app that will automatically download new episodes?

Thanks
I think DoggCatcher is considered the best (or maybe just most well known), but PocketCasts has a lot of recommendations, is cheaper and is getting a big functionality and design update soon.

Thanks

Pocket Casts.

They are about the launch version 4 next week, and will after that work on a improved iOS version that will sync play status between devices and OS's.

Could someone help me out with the google play store.. I have a seemingly simple question but I can't for the life of me find the answer. Is there ANYWHERE that I can find out what's been released today, or yesterday, or a release schedule of any kind? I find myself seeing the same old games on the play store, just the most popular ones. I know there's the 'new games' chart, but that's just the popular ones. I'd love to find a review site or something, ANYTHING where I could look and see what's been released today or this week..??

Doopliss

Could someone help me out with the google play store.. I have a seemingly simple question but I can't for the life of me find the answer. Is there ANYWHERE that I can find out what's been released today, or yesterday, or a release schedule of any kind? I find myself seeing the same old games on the play store, just the most popular ones. I know there's the 'new games' chart, but that's just the popular ones. I'd love to find a review site or something, ANYTHING where I could look and see what's been released today or this week..??

Android Police does a list of new stuff every couple of weeks:
http://www.androidpolice.com/topics/features-2/best-appsgameslwps-of-the-week/

_Isaac

Thanks

If you're using your android phone as your music and podcast device, won't you find it running out of batteries so quickly? I don't use my phone for music or podcasts, and even then it barely has battery power by the time I get out of work.

If you're using your android phone as your music and podcast device, won't you find it running out of batteries so quickly? I don't use my phone for music or podcasts, and even then it barely has battery power by the time I get out of work.

I use mine for about forty minutes of Spotify via speaker in the morning, 40 minutes or so via headphones on the way to work, along with about twenty minutes of browsing and then about fifteen minutes of browsing and forty minutes of Spotify via headphones on the way home. Always have enough juice left to use the phone in the evening.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Welp, Falcon Pro is dead http://androidspin.com/2013/02/23/falcon-pro-for-twitter-reaches-100k-token-limit-time-to-rebel/

60k pirated versions of the app LOL

While I appreciate the app, I'm surprised it took this long for it to die. I'm also surprised the dev thinks a petition to Twitter for more tokens will work. It won't. The app is dead. If I were him, I'd figure out a way to prevent piracy instead of wasting time with a petition. Tapbots is able to do it.

Long live App.net

Horseticuffs

I use my HTC One V for music and podcasts, and surfing, much of the day. It probably could last the whole day and still have 20% left but I always find a way to top it off because I don't want to get caught with my pants down.

Playing audio isn't a terrible drain, in my experience.

As far as audio boosters, I had luck on my old phone with speaker booster, but just know that evidently Jelly Bean won't allow that kinds of app to work.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Welp, Falcon Pro is dead http://androidspin.com/2013/02/23/falcon-pro-for-twitter-reaches-100k-token-limit-time-to-rebel/

60k pirated versions of the app LOL

While I appreciate the app, I'm surprised it took this long for it to die. I'm also surprised the dev thinks a petition to Twitter for more tokens will work. It won't. The app is dead. If I were him, I'd figure out a way to prevent piracy instead of wasting time with a petition. Tapbots is able to do it.

Long live App.net

Sucks for him.

If I have the app installed on my phone and tablet, is it only using one token?

I think DoggCatcher is considered the best (or maybe just most well known), but PocketCasts has a lot of recommendations, is cheaper and is getting a big functionality and design update soon.

Pocket Casts.

They are about the launch version 4 next week, and will after that work on a improved iOS version that will sync play status between devices and OS's.

PocketCasts is gonna be a buck more when v4 comes out. So if you are thinking about it you could save some by buying it now. I've been using the old version a bit transitioning away form my iPod and it's pretty nice.

http://www.androidanalyse.com/shifty-jelly-talk-to-us-about-android-development/

Bonus little interview there with the devs. It must really suck to see that 50% of usage is pirated.

Thanks guys. I'll download it now. Seems like a lot of you approve. Hopefully I can also get music unlimited to work on it.

Top Bottom