• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I feel like I was the only one on the PocketCasts train up until recently. Now everyone else is on here with me. Nice to see you.

Blackhead

Redarse
I feel like I was the only one on the PocketCasts train up until recently. Now everyone else is on here with me. Nice to see you.

Er, the app sucks right now. Even the PocketCasts developers admit that the current UI is a poor iOS knockoff (and I don't even consider their iOS app to be good). I'm primarily interested in the new version to see the tablet support — there's only one other somewhat decent podcast app for my Nexus 10.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Er, the app sucks right now. Even the PocketCasts developers admit that the current UI is a poor iOS knockoff (and I don't even consider their iOS app to be good). I'm primarily interested in the new version to see the tablet support — there's only one other somewhat decent podcast app for my Nexus 10.

I don't think the app sucks but for sure I agree it's a poor iOS knockoff. Lots of times when I use it, I have issues with the Back button, which panel to pick, etc. I'm a fairly light podcast user so I'm definitely not the go to guy when it comes to these apps.

kaskade

I don't think the app sucks but for sure I agree it's a poor iOS knockoff. Lots of times when I use it, I have issues with the Back button, which panel to pick, etc. I'm a fairly light podcast user so I'm definitely not the go to guy when it comes to these apps.

Yeah, there's just some bugs and stuff that annoy me a bit. I'm sure it's because they haven't updated the app since feb of last year. I don't think it would be worth it if v4 wasn't coming out. I see the potential though.

It sure is. I like the notification bar to actually have notifications not a shortcut to change the input type. I don't need that to pop up and disappear every time I type something.

It should at least be an option.

I believe that's an Ice Cream Sandwich problem and not a Swiftkey problem. Starting with ICS, anytime you have multiple keyboards, there is a notification for you to switch inputs. Most custom ROMs have a toggle to shut this notification off, or I guess you can disable the other keyboard apps (both ways occur in the Language & Input tab) so that there isn't any other keyboard to switch to.

At least on Cyanogenmod and AOKP, there is a specific toggle for that notification. If your ROM doesn't have that, then I guess the "turn off other keyboards" method is how you do it.

I still switch around between Swiftkey, Swype, and stock JB keyboard, but I wanted to point out that it's not technically Swiftkey's fault you get that notification.

HooDoo

I'm looking for a few apps right now but I'm a little bit lost in the sea.

Is there an easy way to stream music from a phone or my computer to my tablet ? I really wish I could use my N4 as a remote music player since my N7 is connected to my A/V reciever.

Also I'm trying to improve the audio quality of my phone without rooting it. LG sucked big time and it's a chore to listen to music with the N4 when you've been used to decent quality with former phones.
I tried Equalizer but didn't get any good result and I'm done with Snoozy (which had the best playback quality to my ears) so I'm stuck with Google Music and the audiophile soup LG is serving me.

Koush Releases Free, Open Source Superuser App With Support For Multi-User, Tablet UI, x86/ARM, PIN, And Effort For Apps To Declare Root Permission

android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER

Android has a way for apps to create and request various permissions via the AndroidManifest.xml file. This is how the list of permissions and features shown in an app's Google Play description is generated. Superuser should definitely be listed there. But currently, no such permission exists to be enforced, which is a terrible precedent:
You can download an app, and without your prior knowledge it can request Superuser access.

After talking with +Ricardo Cerqueira about this, we've decided on a strategy to ramp up and start enforcing this good practice.
0) Add a new permission with the Superuser, "android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER".
1) The new Superuser will simply warn that the developer is not declaring "android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER" in the manifest. (as seen below)
2) Add an option to Superuser to automatically deny Superuser access to apps that do not have this declared.
3) After 6 months, this option is enabled by default.
4) After 1 year, this is no longer optional (always on).

This is an insanely trivial change for an app to make, and will assist with the transparency of root apps on the market. So there's really no excuse for the developer not to do it!
https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/T9xnMJEnzf1

Superuser Elite and SuperSU Pro put on notice...

I'm looking for a few apps right now but I'm a little bit lost in the sea.

Is there an easy way to stream music from a phone or my computer to my tablet ? I really wish I could use my N4 as a remote music player since my N7 is connected to my A/V reciever.

Also I'm trying to improve the audio quality of my phone without rooting it. LG sucked big time and it's a chore to listen to music with the N4 when you've been used to decent quality with former phones.
I tried Equalizer but didn't get any good result and I'm done with Snoozy (which had the best playback quality to my ears) so I'm stuck with Google Music and the audiophile soup LG is serving me.

Twonky Mobile/Twonky Beam or BubbleUPnP or any similar UPnP/DLNA Client/Server should be able to do that.

Been playing with non typing keypad on the nexus 4 and I can't believe how well it works. I've seen a few of you on here mention swiftkey. Has Google intergrated this into their OS or is there an app that improves this functionality?

Pocket casts seems good and has a ton of options. Thanks to you all for suggesting it. UI is a bit boring but it does the job.

What twitter app would you guys suggest?

jokkir

Been playing with non typing keypad on the nexus 4 and I can't believe how well it works. I've seen a few of you on here mention swiftkey. Has Google intergrated this into their OS or is there an app that improves this functionality?

Pocket casts seems good and has a ton of options. Thanks to you all for suggesting it. UI is a bit boring but it does the job.

What twitter app would you guys suggest?

I find that Swiftkey is better than the stock keyboard. And I used to stay with the stock keyboard the majority of the time. The stock keyboard has the swiping feature now but again, I find Swiftkey better since you can add extra letters to the end of the word after to add to that word. Plus, the prediction algorithm seems to be better too.

I would have said Falcon Pro but the token limit seems to have been reached so maybe Carbon or the stock Twitter app. I don't really use Twitter that much so I don't know any of the extra functionality that power users might use :p

I find that Swiftkey is better than the stock keyboard. And I used to stay with the stock keyboard the majority of the time. The stock keyboard has the swiping feature now but again, I find Swiftkey better since you can add extra letters to the end of the word after to add to that word. Plus, the prediction algorithm seems to be better too.

I would have said Falcon Pro but the token limit seems to have been reached so maybe Carbon or the stock Twitter app. I don't really use Twitter that much so I don't know any of the extra functionality that power users might use :p

Swiftkey is on sale for £1.49 at the mo so I'll download it now and test it when I get home. Thanks

I find Twitter's twitter app to be a bit poor. Each tweet takes up too much room on screen, so I can view less at once (I really do have a fairly good life if that's something I can complain about!). I've tried falcon but don't like it as a widget. I've not tried Carbon though. I've downloaded it and will try later. Thanks again.

I whatapp considered the best internet texting app?

moojito

I went back to flipboard for my random news/articles app, instead of google currents. I gave currents a good few months, but it just didn't seem to update that often, whereas you get lots of very recent stuff in flipboard every time you open it. Currents was always "14 hours ago" on the most recent article, etc. I also prefer swiping up for the next item rather than swiping sideways.

Zeppu

Cliffhanger TV Tracking

Just found this on the XBMC Forum. One of the best UIs I've ever seen.

pdiweIudobklXk-7jsb4vQkbCdrxXdsPZxBThpgDPLBBSh6Ubneab8tJCS-Xs-ziUQ
nShbZWEE4Gi7YDClFJQFvJ883Z_5NKxKyRELvF4UJoNaoJtHUbpSzreu6MdQ48RlRw
zPZETpwkOB9IzWsy3R6MM-WjHsjm82QDWCzoLfxtVfIGDTubVxK_isupqr8aI4NbAg

Cudder

Jesus, that's terrible. Why would you even develop a Twitter app in this day and age with Twitters ridiculous restrictions.

I believe that's an Ice Cream Sandwich problem and not a Swiftkey problem. Starting with ICS, anytime you have multiple keyboards, there is a notification for you to switch inputs. Most custom ROMs have a toggle to shut this notification off, or I guess you can disable the other keyboard apps (both ways occur in the Language & Input tab) so that there isn't any other keyboard to switch to.

At least on Cyanogenmod and AOKP, there is a specific toggle for that notification. If your ROM doesn't have that, then I guess the "turn off other keyboards" method is how you do it.

I still switch around between Swiftkey, Swype, and stock JB keyboard, but I wanted to point out that it's not technically Swiftkey's fault you get that notification.

Oh yeah it's not something Swiftkey is doing, it's built into the OS. Unfortunately JB won't let you disable the stock keyboard so you're stuck with the notification.

Bboy AJ

Jesus, that's terrible. Why would you even develop a Twitter app in this day and age with Twitters ridiculous restrictions.

Because you're a fool. This dev had it coming to him. Great app, great dev, bad business decision. Oh well, I get to use the awesome app, so it worked out for me!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Because you're a fool. This dev had it coming to him. Great app, great dev, bad business decision. Oh well, I get to use the awesome app, so it worked out for me!

Yeah, it sucks for future support though. I love Falcon Pro and want him to continue to improve it, but he has nearly no motivation to do so now.

Well looks like Pocketcasts will be out today for some of it since it's coming out wednesday whatever time they are in (Australia I think). Should be 7:30 eastern if I didn't mess up my math.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...1&p0=5&msg=Pocket+Casts+version+4+for+Android

Hopefully the widget will actually work now.

Talon

Between 10,000-50,000 installs but 100,000 token limits used already.

Either piracy is as bad as assumed or people need to stop rooting their goddamn phones every 2 days.

kaskade

Between 10,000-50,000 installs but 100,000 token limits used already.

Either piracy is as bad as assumed or people need to stop rooting their goddamn phones every 2 days.

The token is tied to the twitter account so it doesn't matter how many devices it's installed on. I posted an interview with the pocket cast devs up there somewhere and they said their app was about 50% pirated. That's pretty crazy. I mean if it's an app you use daily. Just pay a few bucks.

but Pocket Casts has been pirated like crazy on Android (it’s as high as 50%). We don’t currently do anything about it except detect pirated copies (the APK is not DRM’d and if your license is invalid nothing happens) but we plan to.

netBuff

The token is tied to the twitter account so it doesn't matter how many devices it's installed on. I posted an interview with the pocket cast devs up there somewhere and they said their app was about 50% pirated. That's pretty crazy. I mean if it's an app you use daily. Just pay a few bucks.

I don't think putting it all on piracy is fair: While it might be a contributing factor and problem, there is also the fact to consider that many people have multiple twitter accounts they use with the app (every account will take up a token).

In addition, the Android Market refund feature means some additional tokens will be unaccounted for by people not satisfied with the app.

kaskade

Yeah, the app isn't out yet. But they posted some reviews/previews on their twitter.

http://www.androidxperience.com/

http://beautifulpixels.com/android/...the-best-looking-podcast-app-on-any-platform/

http://ausdroid.net/2013/02/27/pocketcasts-4-its-like-falling-in-love-all-over-again/

http://www.androidanalyse.com/pocket-casts-4-review/

I don't know why I'm so damn excited for the update. I guess it just came at a good time since I'm transitioning my podcasting from my iPod to my GS3.

Edit: There's a vid. Looks gosh darn purty. http://vimeo.com/60533958

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I don't think putting it all on piracy is fair: While it might be a contributing factor and problem, there is also the fact to consider that many people have multiple twitter accounts they use with the app (every account will take up a token).

In addition, the Android Market refund feature means some additional tokens will be unaccounted for by people not satisfied with the app.
Falcon Pro doesn't support multi-user accounts so that can't be using up tokens.
The extra tokens have to from people who bought and asked for refund inside the window & don't release the app token (not their fault as its not something someone looks to do) or from pirated apks of the app.

Very sad, hope he still works on the app and integrates widget into it.

Its the same reason Carbon seems to be dead, its a 100,000 installs on Play Market already.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm so excited for the Pocket Casts update. Other than some issues with the back button, I don't have much of a problem with the current interface, but the new UI is stunning.

tino

Banned
I'd add 'random beeps for random tweets' to my features list and resubmit.

Also, are 'not terrible' and 'not horribly outdated' features?

I would do a "Falcon Black Edition" and resubmit. Twitter is more evil than Facebook. Who would have thought?

Falcon Pro doesn't support multi-user accounts so that can't be using up tokens.
The extra tokens have to from people who bought and asked for refund inside the window & don't release the app token (not their fault as its not something someone looks to do) or from pirated apks of the app.

Very sad, hope he still works on the app and integrates widget into it.

Its the same reason Carbon seems to be dead, its a 100,000 installs on Play Market already.
sign in on different accounts on different devices?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Yeah it useful and I love it but it crashes when adding shows. Cause I have option under discovery 'Show only TV shows I don't already have' probably needs work..

Yeah, it crashes like crazy. I'll stick to SeriesGuide.

Top Bottom