• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So instead of fixing the widget, they removed the widget. Oh pocket casts.

Notification/lock screen controls are not a proper replacement for widgets. Worthless app for me. Back to BeyondPod.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well if anyone is looking for an alternative, may I suggest Pod Kicker Pro? Subtle, simple, all the basic features you want, and delightfully to-the-point.

The free version is old bullshit. Feel free to give it a try but as I've recently found, it's a mere shadow of the pro version.

I truly love it's elegant simplicity. I own pocket cast, and I'm not even bothering with updating.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly I'm just still using AntennaPod. It's not full of a ton of features, but it works for me. It is free, open source, and still gets updated. So I'm happy for now.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
The PocketCasts sync is working great on my phone and tablet.

Any news on Real Racing 3? It's supposed to be out very soon.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I bought Tunewiki pro tonight because I'd never heard of a music player that gave you lyrics and thought that was the coldest shit ever. It's pretty neat but relies, of course, on other nerds having written down the lyrics previously.

Tonight, though, I can finally say "Fuck you, Bon Iver. I'm onto you and your ethereal vocals now, fella."

Seriously though, it's really cool if you've never seen anything like this before. Try the free version.

Okay so, yeah, Fuck Bon Iver and his beautiful, hushed melodies and try the app if it sounds interesting.

netBuff

To anyone like me that is missing a handy "auto-download, but only keep the last x episodes of a feed" option for podcast in the new version of Pocket Casts: The feature is apparently returning with a future version of the app.

0PKnqNq.png

Bleh is there no dark skin for the new PocketCast?

Yeah, I hope they implement a dark theme in the future: White is too bright for my taste ;)

PaulLFC

To anyone like me that is missing a handy "auto-download, but only keep the last x episodes of a feed" option for podcast in the new version of Pocket Casts: The feature is apparently returning with a future version of the app.
Excellent news!

After having used Pocket Casts for a bit, here's my quick good/bad breakdown:

Good
  • The design - very, very nice.
  • Variable speed playback - didn't think I'd use this, but 1.3x playback still sounds "natural" if the host talks quite slowly at normal speed.
  • Sync between devices - I don't need this yet, but it'll be appreciated when I need to reinstall or move to a new device.
  • Smart playlists - a nice feature but I need to experiment more with it

Bad
  • No "Keep 3 epsiodes of this podcast, 2 episodes of this one, etc" option - but I see above that it'll be returning soon, so that's good.
  • Can't add your own podcasts through RSS links.

Unknown
  • "Only download on WiFi" has been changed to "Warn when not on WiFi" - I haven't been able to test if this works the same way yet, but hopefully it does. I see no reason to change it.

New Pocketcasts seems like a step back.

No manual playlist sorting.
No per podcast settings.

Those were the two things I really liked. Also I was hoping for a better lock screen widget too.

Ocho

Unknown
  • "Only download on WiFi" has been changed to "Warn when not on WiFi" - I haven't been able to test if this works the same way yet, but hopefully it does. I see no reason to change it.

You can still "only download on WiFi". Option is located under a specific playlist's settings.

KarmaCow

New Pocketcasts seems like a step back.

No manual playlist sorting.
No per podcast settings.

Those were the two things I really liked. Also I was hoping for a better lock screen widget too.

Year the lack of real sorting is bizarre. Really not liking this update.

Overall it seems more focused on making it seem cool but it loses a lot functionality. Little things like the notification panel not giving any useful information when downloading podcasts really annoys me. Telling me it's downloading instead of giving me even what it is downloading or the progress is dumb.

PaulLFC

You can still "only download on WiFi". Option is located under a specific playlist's settings.
Yeah, I think that requires it to be set per playlist though rather than globally. Both options would be nice.

Also, for those that missed the widget, the @pocketcasts twitter tweeted "widget is coming back" before. Didn't say when, though.

Also on their Twitter re: sorting - if you make a manual playlist you can sort episodes. Smart playlists can't be sorted yet, they're "investigating" it for a future version but "it's quite complicated" to implement apparently.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Falcon Pro dev just joined App.net. It's the future. Get on it already.

Tweetbot is generally considered the best third-party Twitter client for iOS users, though its $2.99 price point is a bit more expensive than the free official Twitter client. Lots of users find that to be a fair price, but that hasn't stopped jailbroken iPhone users from pirating the app — so developer Tapbots has decided to bite back. According to Gizmodo UK, pirated copies of Tweetbot automatically insert an embarrassing admission into the app's tweet compose field, which you can see below.

1Rj9H12.jpg
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/4...-are-naming-and-shaming-themselves-on-twitter

:lol

buhdeh

Chrome updated. Finally audio in background... ffs.

Also, I must be the only person who likes the new Pocket Casts. I guess I have very minimal needs from a podcast app.

Chrome updated. Finally audio in background... ffs.

Also, I must be the only person who likes the new Pocket Casts. I guess I have very minimal needs from a podcast app.

i wouldn't call that minimal. minimal is using something like Reader or ZPlayer.

so is Chrome up to the beta levels now?

KarmaCow

Also on their Twitter re: sorting - if you make a manual playlist you can sort episodes. Smart playlists can't be sorted yet, they're "investigating" it for a future version but "it's quite complicated" to implement apparently.

Okay I'm dumb, how do you create a manual playlist?

edit: also how do delete individual podcasts?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Holy shit the new chrome update fucked up the text rendering and it looks all blurry just like the beta. Goddammit Google.

PaulLFC

Okay I'm dumb, how do you create a manual playlist?

edit: also how do delete individual podcasts?
I haven't tried it yet but this was in their FAQ:

How do I create a manual playlist, and sort my episodes?
To create a playlist, find an episode you want to add to it, tap on it, then use the '+' button to add it to a manual playlist. If you have existing ones they will appear here, otherwise you can create a new one.
Once you're in your manual playlist, long press on an episode and drag it to rearrange your list.

KarmaCow

Touch and hold the episode title and then swipe it to the right.

That just marks the episode as played and if the auto delete option is turned off, marking it as played does nothing.

edit: thanks, that method to create playlists works. That's one grievance gone.

edit2: thanks again, didn't realize that tapping on the title was different

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
That just marks the episode as played and if the auto delete option is turned off, marking it as played does nothing.
Ah, sorry about that. When you touch the episode you're interested in, you should get a card with the show notes, some different buttons for starring, sharing, and the like, and "Delete" and "Play" buttons on the bottom.

Falcon Pro resets tokens, raises price to $1.90
New Application ID should allow all current paid users to authenticate

Following the recent news regarding Falcon Pro hitting Twitter’s 100,000 user token limit, developer Joaquim Vergès has announced that he’s releasing a new version – 1.6.7 – of the app to the Google Play store which will use a new application ID.

You’ll have to log in to Twitter again once the app is updated, though given that Google Play reported under 50,000 active installs of the app when the limit was reached, there should be enough tokens available for all current paid users.
http://ausdroid.net/2013/02/28/falcon-pro-resets-tokens-raises-price-to-1-90/

oh snap!

PaulLFC

While the new Pocket Casts seems to be missing a few features from the old version, it's at least good to see the devs are aware of the issues and are either working on fixes or have provided ways to accomplish the same tasks.

Per-podcast settings - being worked on
Sortable podcasts - use manual playlists for now, smart playlists possible in future
Custom podcast URLS - "you can add custom URLs, just paste them into the search field of the discovery section"
Widget - returning in a future update

panda21

that falcon pro thing seems like a bad idea

what if its not piracy? could it be people using multiple accounts or something?

its a shame no-one uses app.net because this twitter policy is really stupid. just ask app developers to display the promoted tweets or whatever and give unlimited tokens to apps that do.

Seems questionable at this point. Hope I don't somehow get screwed out of my token.

The likelihood of me getting screwed is obviously low, but what about others who may not be paying attention and go a little while without using their app?

depends on how long it takes for pirates to update

that falcon pro thing seems like a bad idea

what if its not piracy? could it be people using multiple accounts or something?

its a shame no-one uses app.net because this twitter policy is really stupid. just ask app developers to display the promoted tweets or whatever and give unlimited tokens to apps that do.

that would need an average of over 2 accounts per user

Guess it makes sense. If you pirated the app you wouldn't get the update through the Play Store and prompted to login again.
Should be able to gauge how many users there really are now.

Anyway updated and re-logged in my account.

yeah. i updated and logged in again too. gonna suck for that one person who was on a months-long sailing trip around the world that arrives on land again a few weeks from now...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can confirm. Using note 2.

I am on a Note 2 as well. Luckily I had a backup from last month in Titanium so it wasn't a huge deal, but Chrome is one of the only browsers that works with Swype on gaf. Dolphin does too but it seems to destroy my battery more than any other browser.

Zaph

Holy shit the new chrome update fucked up the text rendering and it looks all blurry just like the beta. Goddammit Google.
Ugh, I thought it was just me. That slight blur in the beta was really annoying, surprised it made it over to release.

Hah, the Tweetbot guy gave him that idea on twitter.

Looks fine on my Nexus 4 but on the larger screen Nexus 7 its blurry as fuck alright.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the Nexus 7 reporting a smaller viewport than it actually has, then scaling everything up (similar to what Macbook Retina's do). Hope it's fixed soon.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
yeah. i updated and logged in again too. gonna suck for that one person who was on a months-long sailing trip around the world that arrives on land again a few weeks from now...
Gonna suck for the many users on XDA Falcon Pro thread who have an app license cracking app installed on their rooted device.

PaulLFC

Wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the Nexus 7 reporting a smaller viewport than it actually has, then scaling everything up (similar to what Macbook Retina's do). Hope it's fixed soon.
You'd think Google of all companies would build some sort of workaround for that into their apps though. Seems not.

beje

Banned
It's incredible how Chrome, despite all the updates, still manages to be a big piece of shit on phones with just 512MB of RAM. It always does the same, plays nice the first 2 minutes, then it suddenly puts the whole phone to a crawl (the time it takes to claim all available RAM to itself, apparently) even if all you're browsing is a lightweight mobile page in a single tab.

I still don't know how this piece of shit got greenlighted, let alone how some OEMs (like Sony did with my phone) decided to bundle it as a system app.

markot

Banned
It's incredible how Chrome, despite all the updates, still manages to be a big piece of shit on phones with just 512MB of RAM. It always does the same, plays nice the first 2 minutes, then it suddenly puts the whole phone to a crawl (the time it takes to claim all available RAM to itself, apparently) even if all you're browsing is a lightweight mobile page in a single tab.

I still don't know how this piece of shit got greenlighted, let alone how some OEMs (like Sony did with my phone) decided to bundle it as a system app.

Yea >.>

Top Bottom