• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

It's incredible how Chrome, despite all the updates, still manages to be a big piece of shit on phones with just 512MB of RAM. It always does the same, plays nice the first 2 minutes, then it suddenly puts the whole phone to a crawl (the time it takes to claim all available RAM to itself, apparently) even if all you're browsing is a lightweight mobile page in a single tab.

I still don't know how this piece of shit got greenlighted, let alone how some OEMs (like Sony did with my phone) decided to bundle it as a system app.

use Firefox.

PaulLFC

Pocket Casts got a 4.0.2 update.

Their Twitter is also saying they'll work on changing download notifications to display episode titles.

Zeppu

Oh wow I didn't even realize that Cliffhanger has Daskclock integration.

DashClock is very quickly turning out to be the best app idea of 2013.

Few things.

1. I didn't know you can do this on Google Play; consider my mind blown:

w3IJUot.png

2. Is Avast the best lost phone tracking app? Anyone has had a case of losing their phone and then finding it via any app? If so, which one?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
2. Is Avast the best lost phone tracking app? Anyone has had a case of losing their phone and then finding it via any app? If so, which one?
I use SeekDroid, other options are Wheres My Droid or Lookout but like all the find my phone apps they are pretty much useless if the thief pulls the SIM card out.

Gonna suck for the many users on XDA Falcon Pro thread who have an app license cracking app installed on their rooted device.

hahahahah yeah, i was just reading that legit people are getting a license check fail because Falcon Pro checks for apps like lucky patcher and auto-fails if they're found!

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Is anyone still using Press for Google Reader?

I have been using it for a month, and I just uninstalled it. The navigation is pretty slow, it feels like I'm always waiting for the app to refresh. No swipe for the next article is also missing, which is weird since you can swipe left to go back to the article list.

I now realize that the official Google Reader app is great for me. I can tap its icon on the top left to go back to the main screen, it updates in the background every hour & the app is super fast.

SimleuqiR

I have been using it for a month, and I just uninstalled it. The navigation is pretty slow, it feels like I'm always waiting for the app to refresh. No swipe for the next article is also missing, which is weird since you can swipe left to go back to the article list.

I now realize that the official Google Reader app is great for me. I can tap its icon on the top left to go back to the main screen, it updates in the background every hour & the app is super fast.

I always revert back to Google Reader. I never have to "re-fresh" it. It's simple and to the point. Sure it could use a bit of a touch up here and there, but nothing beats it in terms of speed reading through headlines.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still use it. I wish I could pull an article to navigate instead of using those dumb buttons. I think that will come eventually.

It's a very nice app on a tablet.

buhdeh

I just wish Press had a mobilizer and mark as read while scrolling. Don't know how many times I've accidentally swiped back to the feeds list and lost my place in the article list.

Press has background sync. I like the app but they really need to streamline the navigation.

RM8

Guys, stupid question time. Is there a way I can buy an app that isn't "available" in my country? I'll be in Japan in a bit over a week and I was wondering if Google Play automatically finds your location or something like that. I honestly don't remember if I did set my country to Mexico when I first got my tablet, haha.

Oozer3993

So any recommendations for a car dock app for a Galaxy Nexus? Preferably one that I can just install through Google Play (so not Google Car Home and the hoops I'd have to jump through for that).

Pocket casts is fucking useless without the ability to reorder a Playlist the way I want. That's a huge oversight. Back to Beyondpod I go

Phoenix

Cerberus is a very strong offering which also includes facilities for remote monitoring using the device.

danootz

Few things.

w3IJUot.png

I haven't used it, but for the past couple weeks I always manage to come across threads/posts on different forums about how good Cerberus (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus&hl=en) is.

Every time I consider using it, I picture it being another case of buying for features Google will probably integrate into Android fairly soon.

It's certainly been a long time coming for a native lost/stolen solution. Maybe we'll see that in Key Lime Pie.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does BeyondPod allow you to skip x-seconds forward/backward in a podcast?? It's an essential feature for me, one of the reasons why I stuck with PocketCasts

Yep, with several options for length to skip. 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds or 1 or 5 minutes.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Guys, stupid question time. Is there a way I can buy an app that isn't "available" in my country? I'll be in Japan in a bit over a week and I was wondering if Google Play automatically finds your location or something like that. I honestly don't remember if I did set my country to Mexico when I first got my tablet, haha.

Google market enabler android.

_Isaac

Few things.

w3IJUot.png

1. What are you talking about exactly?

2. I use Cerberus, and I actually have used it before to find my phone. I lost it in my work building. I used the gps and was able to narrow it down to the northwest corner of my building, but we didn't know which floor. We took a picture, and we saw a picture looking up at a plant, so it looked like it was at someone's desk. We sent messages to it, but no luck. Finally, I just made the alarm go off remotely, and we tried to hear its siren. We eventually found it with some panicked ladies who couldn't figure out how to turn off the alarm.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The Google Play store seems to work off your billing address rather than IP location now.
I have an American address on my account from when I got the Nexus 4 last November. back when I did this I still had access to the Ireland-specific store front.

Now in the last month, I've got access to the US store by default when using my phone, tablet or PC.

SumGamer

It is useless in pretty much every way compared to BeyondPod.

Yeah, BeyondPod is great. Smart Playlist is a bit annoying tho. I can't seems to make it delete podcast off the device and mark them as played. When I set it to do that, the podcast get deleted and removed from playlist. However, if I sync using Smart Playlist again, the thing just come back.

SupaNaab

What are the best games out on Android? I bought a Nexus 4 and this is my first smartphone of any kind. I picked up a handful like Pen and Paper, Sword and Sworcery and Devil's Attorney. I'm finding most games available seem more focused on pushing stores than actual gameplay -.-

suoodS

I use SeekDroid, other options are Wheres My Droid or Lookout but like all the find my phone apps they are pretty much useless if the thief pulls the SIM card out.

I'm using AVG free and they sent me an email letting me know my SIM was changed.

What are the best games out on Android? I bought a Nexus 4 and this is my first smartphone of any kind. I picked up a handful like Pen and Paper, Sword and Sworcery and Devil's Attorney. I'm finding most games available seem more focused on pushing stores than actual gameplay -.-

Check out Super Hexagon and Plants vs Zombies. If you like RPG's you might like Battleheart.

1. What are you talking about exactly?

Oh. I'm talking about the fact that I was surfing Google Play on PC, and upon checkout it knew what phone I have and if the app is compatible with it, and started downloading on it directly without me opening the Google Play store on my phone. It's brilliant!

Oh and yes, I'll look into Cerberus. Thanks everyone!

Oh. I'm talking about the fact that I was surfing Google Play on PC, and upon checkout it knew what phone I have and if the app is compatible with it, and started downloading on it directly without me opening the Google Play store on my phone. It's brilliant!

Nope, it's been like that for a while now. It's great.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nope, it's been like that for a while now. It's great.

Yeah, that's old (but awesome). What's more recent, though, is that you can now also remotely update and uninstall apps right from the site (in the "My Android Apps" section). Previously you could only install them remotely, now you can completely manage your apps without touching the phone.

Ocho

You can download free apps from your browser with this chrome extension: http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

Text is pretty crappy on chrome since the update.
What browser would you guys suggest as the best for general gaf browsing?

I'm surprised nobody mentions plume as the best twitter app for phones. I haven't found an app that loads more tweets at once on screen.

PaulLFC

Today is the first I've heard of Cerberus, it's now installed and I just checked out the web app. Very nice. Seems extremely cheap to buy as well for what it does, although I'm still within the trial period.

Bboy AJ

I'm surprised nobody mentions plume as the best twitter app for phones. I haven't found an app that loads more tweets at once on screen.

I always mentioned it before Falcon Pro came out. It was the best Android Twitter app for a long, long time. But it still wasn't particularly good.

Top Bottom