• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT 2| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!

Heroman

Banned
Friends......WTF happened with Star Trek Beyond?

I finally got around to watching it this weekend and holy crap that was the worst Star Trek movie since Insurrection, and at least that one had some kind of a point at the end.

The visuals were the best thing about it. They pretty much made a Star Trek action flick, which is in no way what Star Trek is about.
They made star trek good

Sephzilla

Star Trek Beyond is probably the most Star Trek-y movie since Undiscovered Country.

Also, while I don't think Into Darkness is bad (or even remotely the worst Trek movie) it's held back by being a 9/11 truther movie

Sephzilla

As a non-Star Trek fan...what?

Roberto Orci, one of the writers of the movie, is a 9/11 truther and the plot of Star Trek Into Darkness is "terrorist commits terrorist attacks against the Federation but it turns out it was all an inside job so a Starfleet admiral could justify war against the Klingons"

Hex

Banned
Roberto Orci, one of the writers of the movie, is a 9/11 truther and the plot of Star Trek Into Darkness is "terrorist commits terrorist attacks against the Federation but it turns out it was all an inside job so a Starfleet admiral could justify war against the Klingons"

Yeah it was pretty blunt without much effort to be subtle.

VgWtvvA.gif

I just don't even know what their gimmick is other than being crazy.

Also
they do and lose to AoP in the last set of NXT tapings

I'm 99% sure that was a dark match. They did the
Battle Royal to determine the #1 contender for the Women's Championship
before that match and announced it as the main event of the evening. At least 25% of the crowd left afterward assuming it was the end of the show (and to get in line to buy tickets for the next taping as they've started doing that again).

I don't think you're gonna necessarily make that connection without knowing Orci is an ass, so I don't really hold it against the film. And the 9/11 imagery doesn't go into overdrive until well after the conspiracy is exposed.

What really holds Into Darkness back is some shockingly bad attempts to be Wrath of Khan.

Sephzilla

Yeah it was pretty blunt without much effort to be subtle.

I also swear the theatrical cut of Into Darkness includes an "in memory of the victims of 9/11" or something like that, which I don't think is included in the bluray release

JJ Star Trek was a mistake

Nah, Star Trek 2009 and Beyond were both two of the better Trek movies made in a long time. Plus, people have pretty thick nostalgia goggles about the originals because there's some stinkers in there

I also swear the theatrical cut of Into Darkness includes an "in memory of the victims of 9/11" or something like that, which I don't think is included in the bluray release
Are you referencing the memorial wall that has people's names on it at the end?
which seemed incredibly small consistent Khan causes a month worth of 9/11s

I don't remember anything overly naming 9/11, but I may still have been recovering from magical resurrection blood.

Kaladin

I liked Into Darkness because it presented a different take on the Khan story which we knew from the original. The whole point of the JJverse (at least the first two movies) was to tell the story of the original crew but from the point of it being an alternate time line. Certain things will still happen, but in a very different manner. I felt like they accomplished that goal nicely with Into Darkness but then they kinda threw it away with Beyond and decided to make a space action flick that ultimately had no meaning to the overall story.

Sephzilla

I liked Into Darkness because it presented a different take on the Khan story which we knew from the original. The whole point of the JJverse (at least the first two movies) was to tell the story of the original crew but from the point of it being an alternate time line. Certain things will still happen, but in a very different manner. I felt like they accomplished that goal nicely with Into Darkness but then they kinda threw it away with Beyond and decided to make a space action flick that ultimately had no meaning to the overall story.

The true original point of the JJverse was so they could use the Kirk era characters again. They just used the alternate timeline as a way to soft reboot the franchise and update the designs without getting hardcore trek fans into giant nerd boners about "why doesn't this tricorder look like future tech made by someone in 1960".

I like the idea of Sanity. I feel like if given a purpose or something to do they can do a lot with it. Sanity can be the new Shield with a crazy as fuck Eric Young as their leader.

Also, why aren't Alexander Wolfe and Killian Dain going for the tag titles?

I feel like Sanity should be brought up to Raw and placed with Wyatt

Kaladin

The true original point of the JJverse was so they could use the Kirk era characters again. They just used the alternate timeline as a way to soft reboot the franchise and update the designs without getting hardcore trek fans into giant nerd boners about "why doesn't this tricorder look like future tech made by someone in 1960".

You know, I thought something similar when they revealed the space station.
A) what's a space station doing out on the Enterprise's path 3 years into their mission, aren't they supposed to be in deep space? B) why would the Federation build such an advanced station near an uncharted nebula with uncharted space nearby? and along with your point C) holy shit this station looks more advanced than anything I've seen in Trek, and even in a lot of more advanced sci-fi.

MC Safety

Nah, Star Trek 2009 and Beyond were both two of the better Trek movies made in a long time. Plus, people have pretty thick nostalgia goggles about the originals because there's some stinkers in there

They were pretty bad films.

People forget the new Star Trek would have you believe Kirk became captain after picking a fight with the previous captain.

But now Trekkies like lens flare and space battles.

Top Bottom