• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT 2| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!

Foggy

that fucking Shibata news... goddamn it.

Maybe theres a reason why Nak's matches are "boring" in the WWE afterall (I dont even think they're that boring)

Nak was never just exciting because of the strong style stuff. It was a major part of his character but there was always more to his matches than just stiff strikes. Hell, his debut against Zayn exhibited as much.

As for Shibata, it's heartbreaking to hear and I'll miss him. I'm not going to really patronize a professional whose job is incredibly dangerous for doing things more dangerous than his peers. If I'm going to respect what he did so passionately, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knew what he was doing.

Mahonay

Banned
Nak was never just exciting because of the strong style stuff. It was a major part of his character but there was always more to his matches than just stiff strikes. Hell, his debut against Zayn exhibited as much.
His match with Zayn was like 3 times more exciting than any matches afterward. I think that was the only one where he was going full speed. I look forward to seeing what he pulls out with that Smackdown roster.

shaowebb

Except Bryan seems like he'll go somewhere else to wrestle again after his WWE contract is up. Even said it live on Talking Shoot. Unless it was a worked shoot, not a shoot shoot.

If Bryan and Shibata had ever gone at it they both would have lost their careers in the ring.

Except Bryan seems like he'll go somewhere else to wrestle again after his WWE contract is up. Even said it live on Talking Shoot. Unless it was a worked shoot, not a shoot shoot.

A lot can change in 18 months, hopefully raising his kid for that time period will make him not want to get himself killed.

Caderfix

On Bryan's case, even though it was bad, it wasn't on Shibata's level, he was even cleared by a bunch of docs, also Bryan can adapt. I don't see Shibata being able to perform in a non-stiff safe manner, but Bryan can and now that he is a father, I belive he would. Unless he's just crazy and decides to hit his head just to show that he can.

Mahonay

Banned
A lot can change in 18 months, hopefully raising his kid for that time period will make him not want to get himself killed.
If after all of that he still makes the decision to do some more wrestling after his WWE contract is up, I think everyone hopes he goes to a strictly mat based style and keeps it safe. Dude is talented enough to just do a more amateur wrestling style of work, and just drop all of the high flying and big bumps.
On Bryan's case, even though it was bad, it wasn't on Shibata's level, he was even cleared by a bunch if docs level, also Bryan can adapt. I don't see Shibata being able to perform in a non-stiff safe manner, but Bryan can and now that he is a father, I belive he would. Unless he's just crazy and decides to hit his head just to show that he can.
Yerp.

EDIT:
Bryan is also a great comedy worker. So he could use that to his advantage while working a safer style as well.

Syder

A 24 hour Ironman match..

This basically means Jacob was HBK
HX63C.gif

Tagyhag

Why are you surprised?

I've always been more positive about WWE, and Raw specifically, than most around here.

I'm much more John and Wai than Alvarez...

I won't plan my day around it but if I'm home and it's on yeah I'll watch it live

I'm just teasing :p but man, those 3 hours feels like forever because the good stuff is always so far apart.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it really a good thing to extend the life span of someone by taking away the only thing they love?

like if you told an artist he had to stop painting to live or he could keep painting and die young. how many would just keep painting?

Caderfix

Is it really a good thing to extend the life span of someone by taking away the only thing they love?

like if you told an artist he had to stop painting to live or he could keep painting and die young. how many would just keep painting?

Sometimes people need that help to understand there's more to life. It will hurt and they'll miss it for ever, sure, but still.

You can love more than one thing...

And in Bryan's case the dude now has a wife and kid.... So yes keeping him alive so he can be a father to his kid is you know important.

kiguel182

Bryan was cleared by several people, ence why he thinks he can still go.

I doubt he would do the same head spots I feel he comes back. He can do tons of stuff and be interesting.

But, I wouldn't want him to risk it. Might as well quit while he is still relatively healthy and he was told to not wrestle by at least one doctor so thinks aren't peachy.

Caderfix

Booker T: “Bullying goes away when you are a grown man”

Fuck Booker T

Jesus... The list keep growing.

Fuck JBL
Fuck Coachman
Fuck Kevin Nash
Fuck Jerry Lawler
Fuck Jim Cornette
Fuck Vince Russo
Fuck Hulk Hogan
Fuck HHH
Fuck [...]

Professional wrestling was a mistake. It's nothing but trash. Except for Mick Foley.

Like I said that's the problem calling it bullying, it opens the door for it to be dismissed as childish stuff...

It's not bullying it's harassment.
Do you really want me to get out the dictionary again because they're literal synonyms, both with the word intimidation directly in the description. Harassment can be just as easily applicable to children if we're doing this

Pikma

Banned
Humans are supposed to be smart enough to realize when something they do just might end up killing them and stop doing said thing, then again quite a bunch of people die because of addictions every second so... let them wrestle until they die then🤷🏻

Humans are supposed to be smart enough to realize when something they do just might end up killing them and stop doing said thing, then again quite a bunch of people die because of addictions every second so... let them wrestle until they die then🤷🏻
Emphasis on supposed to be. This is the wrong time to be alive and optimistic of stuff like that

Admittedly it's probably asking a lot of dumb uneducated pro wrestlers to understand the intricacies of bullying and mental illness, or use a goddamn dictionary or google. See all the guys that treat JBL like a rocket scientist because he's a wrestler who DIDN'T go broke. But I'm still not letting them off the hook, or anyone who defends them.

Do you really want me to get out the dictionary again because they're literal synonyms, both with the word intimidation directly in the description. Harassment can be just as easily applicable to children if we're doing this

They might technically be synonyms but they are used differently.

Bullying is largely used when talking about children and schools.

Harassment is used when talking about adults, workplaces, and crimes...

We should be using harassment because it gives what's happening the weight it deserves, is my point.

I mean how we talk about these two concepts are completely different. We (as a society) say stand up to your bullies, fight back and they'll go away, we put a lot of responsibility /emphasis on the victim to fight, we also tend to seek to find reasons for emathy with the bully, to understand why they do it, to explain it even sort of justify it as part of their broken life. Bullying, rightfully or wrongly, is rooted in childhood and as such we don't take it nearly as seriously. We don't say that about harassment and we do take harassment more seriously.

For the record Booker T is an idiot like the rest of them for just hand waving this away... my point is though everyone has been calling this bullying when stronger words should be used. This is harassment, this is the creation of a hostile workplace, they aren't in school anymore and boys aren't boys, they're adults.

Well when you put it that way, let the dude die in the ring!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I completely agree with what exelcior is saying, its a perception thing and even if its the same, people do associate bullying with children.

Hasney

New Legacy Inc streamed Shut Hour Mouth Season Mode and edited DDP. I forgot they had all that fighting stance and running animation editors. Holy shit.

Those animation editors were hilarious.

Speaking of SVR 06, was that the last good WWE game

I think it might be (I kinda liked 08 but that was it)

Trust me Sweeney, no you didn't, you started off on the right track praising 06 but 08 was a full on disaster and probably still the lowest point in the yukes era.

All Stars was wack, but severely lacked GM Mode where I was able to have World Champ Christian reign for years, bloodying all in his path

Trust me Sweeney, no you didn't, you started off on the right track praising 06 but 08 was a full on disaster and probably still the lowest point in the yukes era.

I can believe that, all I really remember was ECW stuff (Elijah Burke!!!) and me being hype about that during release

All Stars for me will always feel like a solid base to work with but that's about it, neat concept with not nearly enough meat on the bones and it felt a bit sluggish.
...plus my friend basically mastered the reversal reversal timings meaning I started getting punished for trying anything ever.

Still the best WWE game from last gen but that's damning with faint praise.

I can believe that, all I really remember was ECW stuff (Elijah Burke!!!) and me being hype about that during release

Bobby Lashley on the cover!

The main things to remember about 08 was it having a dire single player mode that felt like the most underbaked season mode going.
Whoever you played as you got the same cutscenes repeated in a cycle of about 8 weeks or so? Kane walking into the woman's locker room and them being pretty okay with that while he grins like a loon, shaking hands with the guy you were feuding with in a backstage corridor because everything was randomised, GM mode stuff rolled into this mode as well, BAH!

Top Bottom