• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT 2| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!

Anth0ny

I can't believe Bischoff didn't immediately put an angry Bret Hart on tv after the screwjob, it's such a carny move, how could any carny worth his salt resist?

RIP Rosey.

I think the thinking at the time was that he'd be the ultimate babyface because WWF screwed him so hard.

It would have been nice if they had an actual good idea for him. Angry Bret would have been a lot cooler, probably.

Kaladin

I subscribed for a month when the Network first launched.

Then re-subbed when they gave 3 free months for Mania.

I still got entered in this contest.

I also noticed this:

4. How many entries will I receive?

Each eligible subscriber automatically receives one entry for every day he/she has been actively subscribed to WWE Network.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't believe Bischoff didn't immediately put an angry Bret Hart on tv after the screwjob, it's such a carny move, how could any carny worth his salt resist?

RIP Rosey.

I can't believe WCW didn't do this this and this with Bret Hart is one of the most common things you can say about the company post December 1997.

Like...maybe turn him face when Wrestling with Shadows premieres?
Or...maybe book him with Stang in a real world's champion match?
Or...not have him be a Hogan bootlicker in 1998?

He gets better briefly in early 1999 being a heel and breaking people left and right. Then his brother dies and it all goes to hell.

Sephzilla

The ideal storyline I would have done for Bret in WCW would require a few tweaks but it probably would have made Bret a fucking ultra over babyface in the process.

1) Keep the nWo purely ex-WWF guys who are invading WCW
2) Bring Bret in immediately after Montreal
3) Have Bret be against the nWo and make a Bret vs nWo feud that is basically a not-to-subtle Bret sticking it to WWF storyline.

Hulk+Hogan+pins+Sting+Bret+Hart+is+mad.gif

Zach

Bret Hart's WCW themes kind of grew on me, weirdly. They really did kinda suck, though. Especially compared to his rad WWF theme.

Starrcade '97 was actually one of the first PPVs I ever saw (at the ripe age of 6!), so as far as I knew, Bret Hart was just some lunatic in jeans who decided to help my hero win the match. Good times, good times...

Kaladin

What was the worst PPV?

WCW Halloween Havoc 1995

WCW Starcade 1997

WWE / ECW December To Dismember 2006

WWF Wrestlemania IX

Zach

RBH, we're coming up on the 20-year anni of Starrcade 1997 and The Death of Wrestling, as historians put it. I'm calling on you, RBH, to make the memorial thread in December, since I stole your nWo thread last year. You remember the one. I know you remember.

Vestal

Amazing how in the span of a month I was introduced to the politics of Wrestling between this and the Montreal Screwjob.. Prior to that, having followed wrestling for the better part of 10 years(PURELY as a fan smart/mark) I had no insight to all the ridiculous bullshit that went on back stage. IMO the biggest screwjob(Although it worked out for WWF/WWE with the DX angle) and the biggest FUCKUP of the greatest build in the history of Wrestling.

Zach

Our Starrcade '97 chat made me want to relive my Super Grade (it got a
D+
):

The Biggest Event in the History of Our Sport. I've refrained from branding Starrcade '97 with a big, fat, furious F due to my issues with the main event. And actually, I've come away with a better impression of the main event having watched it again in context.

Sure, the fast-count-that-wasn't-really-a-fast-count and the general wankery thereafter still sucked, but up to that moment, everything was fine. I think I've changed my mind that Sting should've just squashed Hogan and eliminated the nWo. In context, it's clear that the nWo, while growing stale, should not have ended just yet. I now think that instead of the "fast count" shenanigans, Sting should've kicked out of the leg drop, come back with some white-hot fire, the nWo cronies should've ran out only to be met by the WCW wrasslers that they showed many times in the crowd, and then Sting goes over clean as a whistle with the Scorpion Deathlock.

From here, the cracks could've started to show more and more in the nWo, ultimately leading to its demise in 1998, whether it be in a WarGames match or on its two-year anniversary at Bash at the Beach '98 or heck, even milk it until a winner-take-all match of some kind at Starrcade '98. And after its dissolution, they could hint at it and refer to the specter of the nWo, etc. etc. causing conspiracy and intrigue! :O And then, depending on fan reaction, be willing to either let it stay dead or bring it back later if it made sense.

For Data "The Brain" West, for Br- Bronx-Man, im- imbask -- I dunno -- I'm Zach... NeoGAF Vince McMahon, you can go to hell! Straight to hell!

:')

The nWo should have ended at Starrcade '98, with Goldberg beating Hall and Nash in a handicap match at the start of the show and then beating Hogan for the title in the main event in the same way he did on Nitro.

God knows that would have never happened with the big egos taking Ls like that, though.

Kaladin

The nWo should have ended at Starrcade '98, with Goldberg beating Hall and Nash in a handicap match at the start of the show and then beating Hogan for the title in the main event in the same way he did on Nitro.

God knows that would have never happened with the big egos taking Ls like that, though.

Killing the nWo could have saved WCW in the long run.

Fox318

WCW would still be alive today if Sting beat Hogan clean in 97 and the nWo died after that.

ehhhhhhh

Thats a tough one. It would have had to survive an AOL boardroom full of people who looked down at wrestling.

However had the nWo been killed off I think many of the things that made wrestling look bad probably wouldn't have happened under WCW's umbrella.

Sephzilla

Nah, I'd go with '98. Goldberg was the right guy to do it. Sting was the failure WCW needed to set up the nWo for a white hot Goldberg.

Sting's entire story and angle was about returning to defeat the nWo. Sting should have beat Hogan. Goldberg should have been the one to finish them off.

Kaladin

Sting's entire story and angle was about returning to defeat the nWo. Sting should have beat Hogan. Goldberg should have been the one to finish them off.

Nah, Sting's defeat should have made the nWo appear untouchable until Goldberg came along. If Sting cuts off the head, you only leave Goldberg to pick off the pieces and it wouldn't have done the same for Goldberg.

Sephzilla

You can't have the face of the company, Sting, come back in a storyline all about returning to avenge WCW and then have him lose. That would be stupid.

RQQWh.jpg

Zach

Honestly, though, even if Sting had won without shenanigans, he still would've dropped the ball with his character. He played it so stupidly. Some form of stupid try-hard Wolfpac Sting would've happened no matter what. v_v

Top Bottom