• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT 2| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!

Kaladin

You can't have the face of the company, Sting, come back in a storyline all about returning to avenge WCW and then have him lose. That would be stupid.

RQQWh.jpg

It depends on who you think has more longevity, Sting or the nWo. I think the nWo still had some juice to it in '97, so going over Sting was the right call. Especially when the whole angle with the nWo was them winning more than losing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
WCW would still be alive had Bischoff known what he had in Steve Austin.

That's gotta be one of the biggest kick yourself in the pants moments ever.

I'm curious as to how many would be entered in such a contest. You have to be an active subscriber as of yesterday, and have first subscribed before August 2014 which is in the first months of the Network.

Me if I was American, been subscribed since day one basically.

Zach

What is the best example of WCW winning in the end over WWE?

No clue. But imagine this: Vince is unable to withstand WCW's 80-whatever-week domination and somehow has to fold... and then WCW goes out of business a couple years later anyway.

No WWF/E or WCW. What a world.

Sephzilla

It depends on who you think has more longevity, Sting or the nWo. I think the nWo still had some juice to it in '97, so going over Sting was the right call. Especially when the whole angle with the nWo was them winning more than losing.

I thought the nWo was already starting to lose its steam by 97. I didn't think the nWo had that much longevity to it (and in hindsight it kind of didn't since after SC'97 is when everything started to get really stupid). Ending the nWo before it really started to overstay its welcome would have been a really good decision. You also need to remember that the nWo had been around for a year and a half already by the time Starccade 1997 rolled around - that's three times longer than The Corporation lasted in WWE. The nWo lasting in power for almost 3 years would have been way too long.

I think what really makes me laugh is WCW redoing the Hogan/Sting match on Nitro the next night but not showing the finish (lol), and then doing a proper rematch at Superbrawl where Hogan once again gets most of the offense (loooool) and doesn't lose until Savage hits him with a spray can (LOOOOOOOOL)

What was the worst PPV?

WCW Halloween Havoc 1995

WCW Starcade 1997

WWE / ECW December To Dismember 2006

WWF Wrestlemania IX

ECW DSD there's not even a so bad it's good element... it's just boring and moronically booked.

Also I'm pretty sure WCW fucking up Bret Hart can be traced to Hogan.

RIP to Rosey, damn. I remember him from 3 Minute Warning as well as his stint as The Hurricane's sidekick.

Take care of yourselves, y'all...

Zach

I thought the nWo was already starting to lose its steam by 97. I didn't think the nWo had that much longevity to it (and in hindsight it kind of didn't since after SC'97 is when everything started to get really stupid). Ending the nWo before it really started to overstay its welcome would have been a really good decision. You also need to remember that the nWo had been around for a year and a half already by the time Starccade 1997 rolled around - that's three times longer than The Corporation lasted in WWE. The nWo lasting in power for almost 3 years would have been way too long.

The nWo was still a big deal going into 1998. If you would've killed it off at Starrcade '97, I think some people would've been unsatisfied. But 1998 could've been a year dedicated to the death of the nWo. Like a brick-by-brick sort of thing after toppling Hogan at Starrcade '97. I dunno.

Sephzilla

The nWo was still a big deal going into 1998. If you would've killed it off at Starrcade '97, I think some people would've been unsatisfied. But 1998 could've been a year dedicated to the death of the nWo. Like a brick-by-brick sort of thing after toppling Hogan at Starrcade '97. I dunno.

Then you have the nWo disband for a year or so after 97 and then bring them back for an Empire Strikes Back storyline or something

Sephzilla

Shoot: While I actually like the Hollywood Hogan character, he always looked so out of place next to Hall and Nash. It always struck me as

giphy.gif

March 20, 2000 Nitro: In a match where Scott Steiner & Jeff Jarrett takes on Sid & Hulk Hogan, Sid turns on Hogan where he chokeslams and pins him.

This is entirely accurate btw....

It's literally a tag match where Sid pins his partner to win the match, the ref counts, the bell rings, granted Sid threatened the ref but they treat it as a win...

Also Madden basically clearly knows the turn is coming and telegraphs it to the point of obnoxiousness.

WCW 2000 Brother

Barrage

I think what really makes me laugh is WCW redoing the Hogan/Sting match on Nitro the next night but not showing the finish (lol), and then doing a proper rematch at Superbrawl where Hogan once again gets most of the offense (loooool) and doesn't lose until Savage hits him with a spray can (LOOOOOOOOL)

Not to mention them doing absolutely nitbung with Bret Hart, when interest in him and the Screwjob were at a fever pitch. WCWs booking of Bret made WWEs use of CM Punk look masterful.

Top Bottom