• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

GunBR

Does WWE want new fans? Used the two biggest PPVs of the year to push Orton.
I was going to say how Mania And Rumble season are about old guys and the new ones got a better spot in Summerslam.
But then I remember that Orton was in the main event of last year Summerslam

*three months later*

finn-balor-demon-pissed.gif

BROCK LESNAH, YUR GUNNA HAFTA BE DEALIN WITH MAH DA DEMON KANG! 'CAUSE AT SUMMERSLAM, ONE YEAR AFTA I FIRST WON THA UNIVERSAL TITLE, I'M GUNNA TAKE IT OFF YA! BECAUSE A BEAST IS ALWAYS SLAIN BY DA DEMON KANG! AND I'M GONNA KICK YER ARSE!

tumblr_nafhc4DPqM1s5vbpwo2_400.gif

Paul, who the fuck is this guy?

Strowman looked stupid because he was the one that came out and interrupted all big like I'LL KICK YOUR ASS MATE then Bork said OK then Strowman walked away going NAR.

Huh?

Kaladin

I think after this year we can dispel the notion of a Wrestlemania main event.

Every match with the exception of one or two was worked like a main event and could have been the main on any other PPV. I don't think match order at Mania matters as much anymore.

I was going to say how Mania And Rumble season are about old guys and the new ones got a better spot in Summerslam.
Isn't Balor only like a year or two younger then Randy?

It's weird Balor is 35. Guy can easily pass for younger.

Caderfix

I didn't get that. He saw that Brock recognized a threat, and that's all he needed to see.

He asked for Brock's attention, Brock called him out and he walked away. The guy was pushed as pure destruction willing to take on anyone at any time, then he backed out to Show, then Taker and now Brock. And right after losing clean. it doesn't look good for the character. I'd see it the way you are seeing it if it didn't happen so many times already.

kiguel182

Strowman looked stupid because he was the one that came out and interrupted all big like I'LL KICK YOUR ASS MATE then Bork said OK then Strowman walked away going NAR.

Huh?

It was a dumb segment and dumb booking.

Like when Balor returned to help the man that injured him. For reasons.

Kaladin

He asked for Brock's attention, Brock called him out and he walked away. The guy was pushed as pure destruction willing to take on anyone at any time, then he backed out to Show, then Taker and now Brock. And right after losing clean. it doesn't look good for the character.

If you go back far enough, and they do selectively, Brock has fucked him up before. He was stepping up to Brock to see his reaction, not to throwdown.

Sephzilla

Braun's been done dirty the last month or so. Dude has a pretty solid monster heel push going and then they took his teeth away.

You have to also remember that Raw has been short a couple women. Summer is out, Paige is out, Emma was out (then kept off TV for reasons no one will ever understand), Bayley came up post-draft. For a while, the division was just Charlotte and Sasha because they were the only stars they had. Nia needed to be built, and Dana and Alicia were just jobbers because they needed people Sasha and Charlotte could beat/tag with.

Smackdown, by comparison, benefitted from having all their women ready to go from jump, and only have one ready-made star to protect (Becky). Even when they lost Eva, Nikki was there to take her place. Now this isn't to excuse the poor booking decisions made on Raw, but I would argue that side has had a higher hill to climb due to external circumstances.

Sure but if the division was both brands the Raw top stars plus Becky would be dominating most of the air time that's almost guaranteed.

There's something seriously wrong with a company that feels like it is going after the angry fan reaction on purpose instead of seemingly trying to get 'fight forever' etc etc good ones. :\

Of course you want angry reactions to eventually get the pay off good one. But I mean, when you have people talking about wishing they could one day be a part of the angry after-WM-Raw crowd cause it looks like fun, like it's an annual thing.... lol.

What was wrong with having a YES! happy after WM30 crowd Vince?

Caderfix

Amazing.

If you go back far enough, and they do selectively, Brock has fucked him up before. He was stepping up to Brock to see his reaction, not to throwdown.

Well, I hope you are right and that it was just that the direction for the segment wasn't clear enough. They have something special on their hands and it'd be great to see Braun reaching his full potential and going 1 on 1 with Lesnar, as an equal.

Kaladin

Braun's been done dirty the last month or so. Dude has a pretty solid monster heel push going and then they took his teeth away.

He was used to put Roman over on the way to retiring Taker. I think he'll get his win back on Roman before he heads to Smackdown though.

Sephzilla

It's funny that they still peddle the "non traditional fans" thing, which is honestly an excuse to handwave away Roman getting booed out of the building, even though Roman has been getting booed solidly for two years now.

now that Emma is back, when will Eva Marie return?

She's gone from the company

Either that was the shittiest writing of all time, of Braun must have pissed someone off to do that on Raw and just walk away. Jesus.

Dude is getting over as a cheerable guy so they are trying to get him heat, it's a dumb idea but that's why they are doing it. If he pissed someone off he wouldn't have gotten promo time with Brock Lesnar.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so no title match at Payback? lol

gotta love them part timer belt holders

WrestleMania 33 was the 1st time I watched wrestling, and it blew my mind
lol great recap.
I think the Women's division split into two was more a positive than a negative. However the Tag division is a different story. I hope this "Shakeup" have some tag teams switching more to Smackdown like The Club and Enzo & Cass for one of Smackdown's teams. I think the former mentioned teams would benefit a lot on being in the Smackdown brand than where they are at.
Nah, if Raw is keeping Balor and gaining AJ they need to keep The Club on Raw for that potential reunion or feud. They need to just work on the tag division, I think Smackdown has been a far worse offender in dropping the ball there.

But yes by all means move Enzo and Cass since The New Day probably isn't moving, give Raw American Alpha so they can interact with Kurt and maybe get some work with The Revival again eventually.
"Non Traditional Fans"

That was hilarious and insulting at the same time, those "non traditional fans" are your primary, hardcore audience from various places around the world that you're trying to further expand into who sign up for your online streaming service, possibly buy a lot of merch and potentially spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars in total from Friday to Tuesday on tickets for all these shows, never mind what was probably spent on travel.

ReiGun

Sure but if the division was both brands the Raw top stars plus Becky would be dominating most of the air time that's almost guaranteed.
Oh no I agree that unifying the brands would be bad, mainly cause of the horsewomen. I'm just saying that the differences between the two come down to more than just booking. For a while, Smackdown simply had more bodies to choose from and play around with.

I'm curious to see how the division on Raw works out now that they have more people and the rosters are about to get shaken up. If they're willing to give them more time, I think they could easily stay turning things around.

Come to think about it, Orton was in the main event of 3 of the last big 4 ppvs and then won the title at Mania.

The future face of the company.

I think the Women's division split into two was more a positive than a negative. However the Tag division is a different story. I hope this "Shakeup" have some tag teams switching more to Smackdown like The Club and Enzo & Cass for one of Smackdown's teams. I think the former mentioned teams would benefit a lot on being in the Smackdown brand than where they are at.

I still think the split hurt Woman's division more than it seams, and the tag division is just floundering right now..

Bottom line: The WWE roster is too big

What is your guys problem with Balor?

I dont think he is a great wrestler, and his mic skills are sub par; but man you guys are really laying into him for things that are beyond hid control, the WWE machine is in control now. All he can do is really take the ball and run with it.

I liked it better before WWE themselves started acknowledging the night after WM stuff.

ITS SO ZANY GUYS!! THIS IS THE BIZARRO NIGHT THE NON-TRADITIONAL FANS TAKE OVER IT IS SO FUN LOLOL!

*barf*

It's like when your parents say something is cool and that makes it seem so much less cooler now.

And stop calling the fans who actually care enough about your dumb shit to be angry over it 'non-traditional' and 'wacky'.

Sephzilla

I dont think he is a great wrestler, and his mic skills are sub par; but man you guys are really laying into him for things that are beyond hid control, the WWE machine is in control now. All he can do is really take the ball and run with it.

The only issue I have with Balor is that he doesn't do anything different when he's the Demon versus when he's normal. Beyond that I think he's actually an overall pretty solid talent. I think he could use a different finisher too.

My only real problem is the guy and WWE sell the Demon as a different and much more powerful side of Balor but A) he keeps the same moveset and B) regular Balor himself has only been beaten clean by like two people so does the guy even really need a power-up?

Biggest problem is the whole Demon gimmick doesn't mean anything. He's literally still Finn Balor but with body paint.

What's wild to me about WWE is that you just let other people beat you up to ensure a performance that will please fans. You're playing a role, and sometimes you have to lose for the greater good of the show. It's a strange variety of selflessness mixed in with incredible ego — you are still, after all, in the ring in front of millions of people. It's strangely moving.

This is beautiful.

AJ pins Shane. AJ wins. I like AJ, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to.

Even a total newbie sees through AJ the heel lol.

The only issue I have with Balor is that he doesn't do anything different when he's the Demon versus when he's normal. Beyond that I think he's actually an overall pretty solid talent. I think he could use a different finisher too.

If he wrestled with the same style he did against Nakamura in his final nXt match, I'd enjoy that. Basically give him a heel moveset as the demon yet keep him face.

Also him and Seth is quite a sexy tag team.

Top Bottom