• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

What is your guys problem with Balor?

I dont think he is a great wrestler, and his mic skills are sub par; but man you guys are really laying into him for things that are beyond hid control, the WWE machine is in control now. All he can do is really take the ball and run with it.
I have no issues except the demon isn't as demkn as it should be. I hate the whole parents thing they have why a guy that's supposed to be a demon. The demon should be a separate entity from him entirely. He should really be possessed.

Kaladin

So I think I'm going to be in the market for a new PS4. My current system has started overheating and re-starting. I've tried repairing a PS3 in the past and failed miserably somewhere along the line. You have to go into the system and remove things, even to get to the fan to clean it if that is the issue. I could take it in for repairs but I think if I'm spending money, might as well get a full new system. Question is, Pro or Slim? I have a 4k TV though it doesn't do HDR but 4k games would look nice and a Pro wouldn't wipe out my entire budget for things like this. Another plus on the Pro is they made the fan easy to get to and clean this time.

Tom Nook

When Balor showed up last night, he had a different attitude. Obviously, it's because he's teaming up with the man who injured him. After the match, I thought Balor turns on Seth and The Club would join in thus the Balor Club Stable is here. (Like DX in 1998)

That Mania 33 article is great. Loved that even casuals see through Orton and the fact that having a Hunter and then a Randy match back to back was a stupid ass decision when it comes to pacing.

When Balor showed up last night, he had a different attitude. Obviously, it's because he's teaming up with the man who injured him. After the match, I thought Balor turns on Seth and The Club would join in thus the Balor Club Stable is here. (Like DX in 1998)

I did like how he still gave Seth the staredown and essentially Seth forced an arm raise for both of them. Essentially letting us and Seth know that he hasn't forgotten what happened in August.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Vince has the hots for Finn. Babyface till he dies.

Caderfix

That Mania 33 article is great. Loved that even casuals see through Orton and the fact that having a Hunter and then a Randy match back to back was a stupid ass decision when it comes to pacing.

And it's interesting to see that even a casual like AJ even without being sure if that's right. It's just impossible to hate him.

So I think I'm going to be in the market for a new PS4. My current system has started overheating and re-starting. I've tried repairing a PS3 in the past and failed miserably somewhere along the line. You have to go into the system and remove things, even to get to the fan to clean it if that is the issue. I could take it in for repairs but I think if I'm spending money, might as well get a full new system. Question is, Pro or Slim? I have a 4k TV though it doesn't do HDR but 4k games would look nice and a Pro wouldn't wipe out my entire budget for things like this. Another plus on the Pro is they made the fan easy to get to and clean this time.
I think the Slim opens at the top too FWIW. I don't own a 4K TV but I still have a Pro, it's just nice to get the little bit extra eye candy, plus it runs quiet when you're playing non Pro-enhanced games.

Plus you get Boost Mode if you want to use it.

kiguel182

That article reminded me at times of watching the Rumble with my GF. Except if it were up to her wrestlers would all have powers.

I like the reactions to their outfits. We are so used to it but it's all so ridiculous. Also, a lot of people don't realize wrestling has stories which I found odd since it's described ofter as "soap operas for men".

EDIT: Her description of the Wyatt and Orton match was perfect. It was boring and then ended.

jmdajr

That article was phenomenal.

Besides what has already been mentioned, I love how she thinks Seth and Roman are beautiful men.

I mean, it's not lie.

Zach

I'm just sitting here with my mouth open. I've never witnessed anything like that in my life. It was by far the best match I’ve seen yet. It will probably be the best match of the night.

Women rule.

You're dang right it was the best match of the night!

Barrage

Ratings have fallen, continuously for15 years.

When CM Punk was champ, ratings were down.

When Bryan was champ, ratings were down.

When's Roman was suspended, did ratings go up? Nope.

When Roman was out the of the main event picture, did ratings go up? Nope.

Laying the ratings blame on Roman is a straight up uninformed, hack move.

I dont think he is a great wrestler, and his mic skills are sub par; but man you guys are really laying into him for things that are beyond hid control, the WWE machine is in control now. All he can do is really take the ball and run with it.

When I usually criticize a wrestler, most of the time I talk about the character and not the actual person. What I'm seeing in the "Finn Balor" character that I'm not liking is the lack of variety in his move set...nothing but dropkicks and footstomps. The last thing is I'm pretty sure whenever he transforms himself into the "Demon King", it's going to be very predictable that he'll score a victory in the time being for who knows how long since Vince is trying to market the "Demon King" for the kids that find it cool.

It kind of kills the unpredictability in match.

Blame hunter

Kaladin

Lets face it, they havn't had a Stone Cold, Rock or DX since the attitude era. Even bringing those guys back isn't the same. They got close with Bryan, but only close.

Finn will be the Pro-Roman Reigns and John Cena.

Someone pushed to the moon who will never lose clean, will always be featured in a very high and top spot on the card for years to come and has a stupid nickname and gets dumb lines in promos.

But he will be over with the crowds and sell merch all around. So he's Vince's dream.

Sephzilla

The only thing uniformed with that mindset are the people who are ignoring that ratings and attendance numbers have straight up started to plummet since Roman's main event push started. It doesn't match the trend that's been going on since the PG era started.

But in reality the real problem isn't Roman, it's Vince. Roman is more or less just the vessel.

Kaladin

Finn will be the Pro-Roman Reigns and John Cena.

Someone pushed to the moon who will never lose clean, will always be featured in a very high and top spot on the card for years to come and has a stupid nickname and gets dumb lines in promos.

But he will be over with the crowds and sell merch all around. So he's Vince's dream.

He has a chance, I just hope they give him some character.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

I just think he's boring in ring. He's got a good look, Demon entrance is cool, not great on the mic, but just boring in ring. I think he is going to be huge on the main roster though. I think he'll be their next Cena.

Kaladin

I think the Slim opens at the top too FWIW. I don't own a 4K TV but I still have a Pro, it's just nice to get the little bit extra eye candy, plus it runs quiet when you're playing non Pro-enhanced games.

Plus you get Boost Mode if you want to use it.

I just wish the Pro had the 4k Blu-ray capability. That would seal the deal.

Sephzilla

Am i the only one who think's Finn's finisher is boring?

That's the gah dang truth, sister.

The #1 thing I hate about the brand split is that there's too many goddamn titles again. They learned absolutely nothing from the first brand split era.

Goddamn I'm just going to quote my fav parts because this is great

All of the review for JeriKO implodes

KEVIN OWENS vs. CHRIS JERICHO
Kevin Owens and Chris Jericho used to be best friends, but then Kevin Owens stabbed Chris Jericho in the back, claiming they weren’t ever really friends. This fight is a rematch of their best friend breakup in Vegas, where Kevin Owens beat the daylights out of Chris Jericho. I know this because the promotional videos the WWE shows before each match are works of art.

Chris Jericho is wearing a tiny, sparkly speedo, knee-high sparkly boots, and a scarf with Christmas lights blinking on it. Kevin Owens is wearing an ugly black tank top and some boring black pants. If this were a battle of the outfits, Kevin Owens wouldn’t stand a chance.

Watching these two wail on each other is heartbreaking; best friend breakups can be just as devastating the end of romantic relationships. This feud is made even worse because Kevin Owens used to revere Chris Jericho when he was little, and would watch Chris Jericho in the ring.

NEVER MEET YOUR HEROES, PEOPLE.

In other news, had I comprehended how much human drama wrestling involves, I would've gotten into WWE way sooner. I can't resist a good narrative. I’m powerless in the face of speculative gossip.

“You don’t have any friends!” Kevin Ownes yells at Chris Jericho. He also yells, "You were never my best friend!" and "You're a piece of trash!"

It’s the meanest heckling I’ve ever heard. I can’t tell if the emotional pain is real (the physical pain definitely is), but the ability to act through all of it and put on a show while your ribs are splintering into a million tiny pieces is astounding regardless.

Chris Jericho pins Kevin Owens, but Kevin Owens has a finger on the rope, which appears to be the wrestling version of a Get Out of Jail Free card. It’s a brilliant move, judging by the reaction it’s getting from the crowd.

Kevin Owens wins. I hate Kevin Owens.

I love how the writer is taken in by Owen's trash talking which I think really made the match work

Here is what I think about each of the women competing in this four-way elimination match:

Bayley is the Lisa Frank of wrestling. She wears bright colors, reminds me of Punky Brewster, and comes across as very kind, which is impressive, given that she beats people up for a living.

I obviously like Charlotte the best. Yes, we have the same name, but she’s also a total boss who wears medieval capes.

Nia Jax is the most intimidating human I’ve ever laid eyes on; she’s a formidable, close to 300-pound woman who is stunningly beautiful and probably eats the ground-up bones of her opponents for breakfast.

Sasha Banks rides in on a chariot and has flowing pink hair. I’m here for it.

Now Charlotte has Bayley’s leg in a figure four. I have a blanket over my eyes because it hurts too much to watch.

I'm just sitting here with my mouth open. I've never witnessed anything like that in my life. It was by far the best match I’ve seen yet. It will probably be the best match of the night.

Women rule.

It's interesting to see the reactions from people who don't have a work rate standard

I don’t know who the Hardy Boys are, but they have showed up in the ring, and both my Twitter timeline and the WrestleMania crowd are losing their collective minds. Apparently these guys were huge back in the ‘90s or something.

Matt Hardy managed to grab the belt, so he won? Everyone on my Twitter timeline is tweeting “DELETE!” I don’t understand why, but no one has the time to explain to me.

(Update: Apparently The Final Deletion was a match that previously took place between two Hardy Boys. Brothers? I’m so lost.)

Here’s what I’ve learned so far: Wrestling plays to our base human impulses. It’s a stripped down, violent play built around raw, universal reactions. The WWE takes the common characters and scripts of our lives — friends who betray each other, lovers who expect commitment, enemies who scheme against enemies — and removes the rules.

For example: At work, if someone pisses you off, you can’t just body slam them. But in wrestling, you get to destroy them while you wear spandex in front of a screaming crowd. Wrestling appeals to the masses, I think, because it sets the Id free in a show of beautiful and exciting pageantry.

I’m going to skip the actual fight, but the bottom line is that John Cena and Nikki Bella win, and OH MY GOD, JOHN CENA IS PROPOSING NOW!!!

Nikki says yes. I’m tearing up. They’re hugging each other. They’re making out. They’re so happy. I’m melting.

Wrestling is dope.

I like that in wrestling, if you want to get around the rules, you just sign some paperwork saying you won’t sue if you get maimed. The match is then marked as “non-sanctioned,” and you can do whatever you want with your broken body.

Triple H rides in on this dope motorcycle as police motorcycles ride down the ramp in front of him, blaring their sirens. This is a circus. The heavy metal music is seeping into my veins. I’m wide-eyed. I stand up. I’m sorry for the all-caps I’m about to hit you with, but THIS IS MAKING ME SO AMPED THAT I WANT TO GO KICK DOWN A DOOR!!!!!

MY SHOULDERS are up at my ears. Omg a sledge hammer omg. I JUST want to die i don’t know how anyone can still watch Triple h is dragging seth up on the ropes and omg i am going to throw up. Seth Rollins did something called a cork screw phoenix splash? Omg he is ten thousand feet in the air!!!! I WANT THIS TO END SO BADLY. Triple H’s face is horrifying. Omg a pedigree. Can he do that HE DID IT. SETH WINS Thank fucking god that is over. That was so brutal.

HAHAHA PITBULL IS HERE PERFORMING A SONG
Of course he is.

We all hate Pitbull lol

Even a complete newbie knows that Bray.Orton had a good build but was truly bad wrestling

RANDY ORTON vs. BRAY WYATT
This is the match between the cult leader married to a dead witch named Abigail (Bray Wyatt) and the guy who joined the cult and then burned down the other guy’s house (Randy Orton).

God, I love this. It’s like make-believe for grown-ups. It reminds me of the games my friends and I used to play when we were little, where we had to run away from ogres and save princes (we were feminists, OK?) from dragons. I adore the fact that millions of Americans are like, “Yeah, sure, we’ll buy into a storyline where a guy rubs the ashes of a dead witch all over his face to become more powerful in the ring.”

Randy Orton is wearing a fur vest and a speedo. Bray Wyatt is wearing a shirt with a demon octopus on it (I’ve noticed that usually one of the wrestlers is clothed, and one is less clothed). It feels very Florida.

I think this match is a big deal, like, a championship or something? But it’s really boring. After the ladders, Seth’s pain, the women’s badass fight, Triple H’s entrance, and all the buildup surrounding this match, I’m pretty disappointed.

I don’t even remember who won and it just ended.

Brock Lesnar sounds like the name you'd give at a deli instead of your real one to mess with the people who have to call out your name when your sandwich is ready.

Goldberg looks like that gym teacher I made up at the beginning of this blog post who kept eating creatine after he was fired, got another job as a high school softball coach, and ripped his shirt off in a rage after the girls lost the championship.

Wow.

Roman wins.

Why did that feel sad and anticlimactic? Was it supposed to be different? Did they go off script? How does this work? Is it Undertaker’s last match? Why is Roman shaking his head? Why is Taker just lying there? Is he actually hurt? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS and the fans don’t really even seem to care.

Wait, hold up. Undertaker is retiring. I feel like I'm at the funeral of someone I didn't know that well. Everyone in the stands and on Twitter is really sad, so I'm really sad. But it’s awkward that I’m here. I feel like I shouldn’t be seeing this if I don’t understand how big of a deal this is.

Taker takes off his cloak, his hat, and his gloves, and lays them down on the ring. He raises his fist. The stadium shows lightning bolts.

The dead man is actually dead.

RIP Undertaker. I hardly knew ye.

I’ve been in an alternate reality for five hours. It reminded me a little bit of The Bachelor, in that there’s a rough script and, as a viewer, you don’t know exactly how much is staged. But the wrestlers and the fans are both so thoroughly invested that none of that matters.

The physicality of wrestling is stunning. These people perform mind-blowing feats of athletic ability — they corkscrew off the ropes, they jump off of stories-high ladders, they lift up 300-pound opponents — and yet, I don’t think they get the credit they deserve from the general public because it’s wrestling. It can’t be real, some folks argue.

But let me tell you: The winners may be decided, but holy hell, that doesn’t make the stunts less superhuman. I don’t know how people survive this.

The violence is ... a lot. In the beginning of the show I couldn’t watch the beat downs without imagining what it felt like to receive them. My hand was over my eyes for much of it, specifically during Seth Rollins’ match. By the end, however, I watched Roman Reigns bash Taker with a chair and thought more about the plot of Taker’s career ending than I did about his body getting absolutely destroyed. I grew somewhat immune to the violence. And I’m not sure that’s a good thing? Like, I feel a little gross.

But that grossness is cancelled out by the fact that, more so than violence, nostalgia is the WWE’s main commodity.

That’s what this is all about. As someone just dropping in, I was an imposter. I regretted that I couldn’t fully appreciate the beauty of the relationships or the narrative arcs because I just didn’t know enough. But if you grew up a wrestling fan or have been following the sport (yes, it’s a sport) for a while, you become invested in the storylines. You have years worth of build up, tension that comes to a climax when the matches are announced, and gets released as the referee counts to three and a winner is crowned (belted?). The announcers do an incredible job of fueling those dramatic fires.

Any good sport worth its salt is largely about fans’ connection to the athletes and memories of past teams. Wrestling takes all of that, adds raw human impulses and violent physical action, dresses everything up in spandex and sequins, and sells it to football stadiums filled with screaming humans who are willing to suspend their disbelief to enter a weird, wild, mystical world that isn’t a far cry from one giant Greek tragedy.

And as long as everyone — fans and performers alike — is a willing participant, there’s something kind of glorious about the whole visceral experience. This is living.

Goddamn she gets it. I find this interesting and useful I think as a sort of way to filter out what's truly bad and what's bad because wrestling fans are jaded and have specific expectations... granted this is just her perspective but she was down on a lot of the same key things everyone else was namely Bray/Randy and a chunk of Reigns/Taker, really thought that was interesting.

Barrage

The only thing uniformed with that mindset are the people who are ignoring that ratings and attendance numbers have straight up started to plummet since Roman's main event push started. It doesn't match the trend that's been going on since the PG era started.

But in reality the real problem isn't Roman, it's Vince. Roman is more or less just the vessel.

Similar to the way TV ratings, in general, have sped up their decline in the same window?

(And now someone will respond with the NFL, and act like they're not the exception).

One thing I will say- WWE sold USA on the fact that their fans consume WWE like live sports. We clearly do not. We have been trained to check in, see what was good, and read synopsis. We consume WWE like Game of Thrones. Because unlike the NFL, the result doesn't matter as much.

But again, this is beyond Roman.

Oh my jeez! I'm reading this right now!

It's nice. Makes me feel like I'm too close to wrestling to appreciate its zaniness. I should stop watching wrestling again.

I'm starting to think that maybe that's why I don't have the same negative reactions as a lot of people... I've never let go of appreciating the absurdity of wrestling, I think it comes from my background as a shitty horror movie fan... wrestling is nuts and that's what makes it great. It's like literally so fucking ridiculous, it's borderline absurdist theatre.

Sephzilla

Even if you don't have an HDR-10 tv I'd still say get a PS4 Pro. The resolution bump alone will make it worth it.

Similar to the way TV ratings, in general, have sped up their decline in the same window?

(And now someone will respond with the NFL, and act like they're not the exception).

One thing I will say- WWE sold USA on the fact that their fans consume WWE like live sports. We clearly do not. We have been trained to check in, see what was good, and read synopsis. We consume WWE like Game of Thrones. Because unlike the NFL, the result doesn't matter as much.

But again, this is beyond Roman.

If you actually look at the general decline across the board in television ratings and then look at the decline in WWE's ratings you'll immediately be able to see that WWE isn't simply following the same trend as general TV. Their ratings have been falling at a more significant rate, which indicates that they're suffering from a different problem. You also need to factor in that WWE's live attendance numbers have dropped a lot in the last two years as well.

Mahonay

Banned
Spring for the Pro if you're getting a new PS4 anyway. Almost all games will perform better in general.

I have the same overheating issue with my PS4. When it gets really bad I open the top hard drive cover and just blow the dust out with a can of compressed air. The PS4 will behave normally again at least for a couple months. I will probably need to throw down for a Pro to replace it at some point as well.

Lets face it, they havn't had a Stone Cold, Rock or DX since the attitude era. Even bringing those guys back isn't the same. They got close with Bryan, but only close.

People need to understand that bluntly the Attitude era (And I guess the early Hulk days) was the exception to the rule

Ithil

The #1 thing I hate about the brand split is that there's too many goddamn titles again. They learned absolutely nothing from the first brand split era.

I love the Bloody Sunday/1916, the double stomp is ok. I'm not a fan of top rope finishers unless they are really special (like the Red Arrow or Macho Man's elbow) because they take so much set-up time and require dudes goofily taking bumps to land in front of the corner.

I'd rather he stuck with the 1916 as his main finisher.

Tom Nook

From the article:
FOUR MORE WOMEN WRESTLE EACH OTHER, I THINK THEIR NAMES ARE ALEXA BLISS, NAOMI, CARMELA, AND ONE MORE I CAN’T REMEMBER

poor Becky, Mickie, and Natalya :(

Even with the Aloy costume, people forget Becky existed.

When I first saw him wrestle I said, "That's his finisher?"

I think it was beast of the east

Thing is with the ratings it's kind of even worse when you factor in that their DVR numbers are also miserable. Last I checked the usual increase was less than 10%. People either watch live or the don't watch at all, at least when it comes to TV. WWE shows just aren't must watch programming anymore, largely thanks to the shit creative and over saturation plays a part too.

jmdajr

Goddamn she gets it. I find this interesting and useful I think as a sort of way to filter out what's truly bad and what's bad because wrestling fans are jaded and have specific expectations... granted this is just her perspective but she was down on a lot of the same key things everyone else was namely Bray/Randy and a chunk of Reigns/Taker, really thought that was interesting.

I found interesting how the her views in many ways are not that different from us.

And I literally laughed out loud at the Pitbull burial

Am i the only one who think's Finn's finisher is boring

No, I don't like it either, I told my wife I didn't like it and then when she saw it again today (she had forgotten what it was as has only seen him on the main roster) she was like yea it's lame.

Just doesn't have any impact or 'noise' to it, seems soft not something you pop to.

Zach

I've concluded that a hard split is necessary if you're going to have equivalent titles. Like, the NXT championships feel special even though they're technically just more WWE belts. But they're only defended on NXT shows. If they some day start defending NXT championships on regular WWE programs/PPVs, they're going to feel meaningless, too.

So yeah, WWE championships mean nothing to me and I don't know how you're invested in them. No one is ever the best, because there's some other guy/gal/team who's defending the same belt on a different show weekly, and on the same show monthly. Maybe higher up on the card. Unless it's WrestleMania. Where none of your championships go on last. >___>

Rambling! Don't care!

Sephzilla

No, I don't like it either, I told my wife I didn't like it and then when she saw it again today (she had forgotten what it was as has only seen him on the main roster) she was like yea it's lame.

Just doesn't have any impact or 'noise' to it, seems soft not something you pop to.

I think this is it. You don't really feel the impact of it because you can't make that move "pop" at all.

I just wish the Pro had the 4k Blu-ray capability. That would seal the deal.
Yeah that's a pretty big oversight IMO. I'm thinking of getting an Xbox One S for when I get a 4K TV and that's the main reason. I'm not all that fussed for an Xbox really and if the Pro played 4K Blu-Rays I wouldn't even bother

I found interesting how the her views in many ways are not that different from us.

I can see why she thought the women's four way was match of the night. It was quick, told a decent story, had understandable characters, and Charlotte nailed that corkscrew moonsault.

cordy

Banned
Not surprised she made that comment on Styles. Styles is a shit heel, hell, he's not even a heel they just pretend he is.

Yep just free from a lot of the baggage a hardcore wrestling fan has...

That's why I said she's a pretty great filter...

I'd love to see her watch the shows without getting into all the backstage politics and stuff, just see to see how it all filers through.

Her loving AJ as heel after one match is bigger than the Metlzer Wrestler of the Year Award

Not surprised she made that comment on Styles. Styles is a shit heel, hell, he's not even a heel they just pretend he is.

It is impossible for AJ to be a heel, dude has absolutely tried...

Top Bottom