• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Mahonay

Banned
Am i the only one who think's Finn's finisher is boring?
Finn's finisher is fine. You could do a lot worse.

Finn is OVAH with my lady. She popped for him coming out and for that win. I told her about him being way into Lego and Adventure Time and now she's more obsessed with sexy sexy Finn. Even I marveled at how god damn good looking he was. As much as we gripe about his by-the-numbers matches, dude is money for WWE.

Her other wrestling crush is Ambrose. She loves whenever he talks but couldn't give less of a shit about his matches.

Kaladin

Spring for the Pro if you're getting a new PS4 anyway. Almost all games will perform better in general.

I have the same overheating issue with my PS4. When it gets really bad I open the top hard drive cover and just blow the dust out with a can of compressed air. The PS4 will behave normally again at least for a couple months. I will probably need to throw down for a Pro to replace it at some point as well.

Thanks for the advice on cleaning, with it potentially being a repetitive issue, I think I might just do an initial cleaning like that, transfer my saves to an external HDD and trade the system to Gamestop.

Even if you don't have an HDR-10 tv I'd still say get a PS4 Pro. The resolution bump alone will make it worth it.

I think that's where we're leaning now.

People need to understand that bluntly the Attitude era (And I guess the early Hulk days) was the exception to the rule

Def, when wrestling is hot, it's hot. But while wrestling is forever mega stars are not.

It's really hard to make a finishing move look awesome when it's clear he's trying really hard to (rightly) hold back as to not injury the guy he is doing it to.

Maybe he can start doing the Pedigree? Eventually the entire roster is doing it and HHH is standing backstage laughing manically.

Sephzilla

I've concluded that a hard split is necessary if you're going to have equivalent titles. Like, the NXT championships feel special even though they're technically just more WWE belts. But they're only defended on NXT shows. If they some day start defending NXT championships on regular WWE programs/PPVs, they're going to feel meaningless, too.

So yeah, WWE championships mean nothing to me and I don't know how you're invested in them. No one is ever the best, because there's some other guy/gal/team who's defending the same belt on a different show weekly, and on the same show monthly. Maybe higher up on the card. Unless it's WrestleMania. Where none of your championships go on last. >___>

Rambling! Don't care!

In my perfect brand split world;

1) There would only be one WWE World Championship. That champ can appear on both shows if the storyline requires it. Only the champ can float between shows. Everyone else is locked to one brand.
2) US and Intercontinental Championships would be exclusive to each show.
3) The Tag Team and Women's Championships would operate similarly to the WWE World Championship. Champs can float between shows as necessary, everyone else stays locked into the show.

Boom. No more redundant titles. Existing titles do not lose value. You get the brand split you want. Each show gets an exclusive champion. Being Champ opens up more storyline potential for certain belts.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm actually glad they're doing some brand trades next week already. Should help freshen things up.

Curious who debuts on Smackdown tonight. Other than the likely Nakamura.

I've concluded that a hard split is necessary if you're going to have equivalent titles. Like, the NXT championships feel special even though they're technically just more WWE belts. But they're only defended on NXT shows. If they some day start defending NXT championships on regular WWE programs/PPVs, they're going to feel meaningless, too.

So yeah, WWE championships mean nothing to me and I don't know how you're invested in them. No one is ever the best, because there's some other guy/gal/team who's defending the same belt on a different show weekly, and on the same show monthly. Maybe higher up on the card. Unless it's WrestleMania. Where none of your championships go on last. >___>

Rambling! Don't care!

Same show monthly?

At most it's Rumble, Mania, Summerslam, Survivor Series, and you can probably drop Survivor Series off that cause the champs are in big brand war elimination matches.

So my kid has been getting into SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT hard in the last month. Last night was the first time I saw her have a meltdown. It was while Cesaro and Sheamus were going to town on Enzo and Big Cass (these two are in her top 5). The moment was so new to me that I was on the floor crying and having a hard time to breathe. My wife, who thinks all this is nonsensical, was quite enjoying her reaction as well.

Her Top stars (no particular order):

John Cena
Roman
Bayley
Enzo
Big Cass
New Day

Yep. They have their hooks.

cordy

Banned
It is impossible for AJ to be a heel, dude has absolutely tried...

Nah, Styles comments on this in an interview a few months ago.
When asked what he and the WWE have done to turn around his good guy image as perceived by fans, the WWE champion said it was his job to get better at what he does.

"Sometimes I feel like if I'm not getting people to boo me, then I'm not doing my job right. So that's on me. I need to be better about being the bad guy. And sometimes they just refuse," he said in during an interview with Al.com. (Via Wrestling Inc)

"These fans just refuse to accept me as the bad guy. That has a lot to do with how much time I spent outside the WWE and coming here and doing so well, they respect that, I guess you could say. But it's up to me to make sure that these fans find a way to boo me."

Styles also pointed out that John Cena's promo on the recent episode of SmackDown Live, where the latter showed his dark side, will ultimately help him come out as the bad guy.

He needs to be a better heel. He acknowledges this.

Looking to be another great day, ahhh yessir
Motivational advice from the past:
tdGAoVr.jpg

ReiGun

That is a wonderful article.

It's so easy for regulars to get caught up in backstage drama and work rate and such that you sometimes forget to enjoy the pure dumb fuckery of wrestling.

I think this match is a big deal, like, a championship or something? But it’s really boring. After the ladders, Seth’s pain, the women’s badass fight, Triple H’s entrance, and all the buildup surrounding this match, I’m pretty disappointed.

I don’t even remember who won and it just ended.

Damn, even newbies think Blandy is
yawn3.png
-tier television. lol

Zach

Same show monthly?

At most it's Rumble, Mania, Summerslam, Survivor Series, and you can probably drop Survivor Series off that cause the champs are in big brand war elimination matches.

Oh yeah, they have occasional exclusive-ish PPVs now. Doesn't feel like it. >_>

If you wanna talk about draws, Hogan/Andre on Saturday Night's Main Event drew 33 million viewers back in 1987 and to this day is still the most watched WWF/E event and probably wrestling in general, ever. Here's a list of a lot of the demo ratings, some a missing but it's still interesting. Granted probably should take into consideration that WWE stopped putting much effort into these things after the first couple IIRC and it was incredibly short lived.
https://www.twnpnews.com/information/sat.html

Def, when wrestling is hot, it's hot. But while wrestling is forever mega stars are not.

Also if they re-did the Attitude Era now everyone would hate it... it's actually pretty shitty bar the Main event, just that it was at a time when trash tv was getting really popular as taboos were being broken... then shit like Sopranos and what not came along and now look at the weird shit that's on TV.

jmdajr

So my kid has been getting into SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT hard in the last month. Last night was the first time I saw her have a meltdown. It was while Cesaro and Sheamus were going to town on Enzo and Big Cass (these two are in her top 5). The moment was so new to me that I was on the floor crying and having a hard time to breathe. My wife, who thinks all this is nonsensical, was quite enjoying her reaction as well.

Her Top stars (no particular order):

John Cena
Roman
Bayley
Enzo
Big Cass
New Day

Yep. They have their hooks.

My kid was playing 2k17 with me. She's 4. Her idea of fun is having a squash man. I can't do anything but do the job or we get upset.

"Hey, don't do that! Why you knock me down!"

I don't think she cares for the TV show much yet, but she put her giant Minnie doll in a figure 4 leg lock after the Roode/Nakamura fight, so I think I am failing as a parent already.

cordy

Banned
5bb12de2f5516d0f180b94a869b31267.jpg

Easy way to turn Ambrose heel and establish Nakamura as a lead guy on the main roster. Great way for both guys to get better. Just have them feud over the IC, Ambrose goes heel, Nakamura beats him for the belt, Ambrose goes against uppercard/main event faces as Nakamura does the IC title some good, boom we're good.

Ithil

Even though SD desperately needed them, I'm glad The Revival is on RAW just so they can continue Corey's super fanboyism for them. I hope the Drifter is on RAW too so Corey can keep his vehement hatred of him going.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Ultimate carry job for Nak

I can see that happening.

I hope AJ stays in SDL.

I've said it once and I'll say it again

I hope they keep AJ on smackdown, and while i want him to be champ I say let it be a small burn.

Miz is on fire rght now I say have him and Orton fued for a little.

After Miz wins the title have a fued between him and AJ (or even Tye) for a few months, AJ eventually winning the title.

Have nakamura on smackdown slowly building his rep with the IC title, have him drop it but win the royal rumble.

AJ Styles vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania for the WWE Heavyweight Championship in a 60 min Iron man Strong Style Match

My kid was playing 2k17 with me. She's 4. Her idea of fun is having a squash man. I can't do anything but do the job or we get upset.

"Hey, don't do that! Why you knock me down!"

I don't think she cares for the TV show much yet, but she put her giant Minnie doll in a figure 4 leg lock after the Roode/Nakamura fight, so I think I am failing as a parent already.

That's great stuff. It's kinda neat to see them fall for the same things we did as kids and still do today.

Oh yeah, they have occasional exclusive-ish PPVs now. Doesn't feel like it. >_>

Occasionally?

What?

Literally 8 out 12 months are brand exclusive... and what do you mean ish? They are completely separate...

Like they've actually done a good job making the brand split be a brand split.

Sephzilla

Oh, and fuck the brand split for giving us way too many goddamn PPVs.

You're only failing if she didn't WOO before hand

Barrage

1) There would only be one WWE World Championship. That champ can appear on both shows if the storyline requires it. Only the champ can float between shows. Everyone else is locked to one brand.
3) The Tag Team and Women's Championships would operate similarly to the WWE World Championship. Champs can float between shows as necessary, everyone else stays locked into the show.

Boom. No more redundant titles. Existing titles do not lose value. You get the brand split you want. Each show gets an exclusive champion. Being Champ opens up more storyline potential for certain belts.

This is my preferred scenario and I've said it from day one.

Only addition is I would add a Women's Tag Title. Both to give the lower-card women something to fight for and to let a few more women work both brands.

Kaladin

#Shoot Tuesday

Subway that has sat overnight and allowed all the sauces (oil, vinegar and southwest chipotle in this case) and such to sink into and soak the bread is one of the best things ever.

Nah, Styles comments on this in an interview a few months ago.

He needs to be a better heel. He acknowledges this.

Did you literally read what he said next.. they refuse... dude AJ Styles is basically a legend already...

AJ is a guy who would say that he needs to find a way because he's that kinda of guy, always striving to do the best job he can, but there's nothing he can do, they aren't going to boo him, period, it's not happening.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't know if there's been a good RAW PPV yet.

At least Smackdown PPVs are either average at worst and have pulled off a couple of very good shows. Having actual coherent storylines that make sense helps quite a bit for overall investment.

Zach

Also if they re-did the Attitude Era now everyone would hate it... it's actually pretty shitty bar the Main event, just that it was at a time when trash tv was getting really popular as taboos were being broken... then shit like Sopranos and what not came along and now look at the weird shit that's on TV.

Uh-huh, but an updated Attitude Era would mean breaking Vince McMahon sports-entertainment mores and the taboos that come with that. It wouldn't have to be gross to carry the air of Attitude. The Attitude Era was exciting because stuff was happening that wasn't supposed to happen in the WWF. It was so naughty. I think that could still be achieved today. Like, you guys lose your minds when someone slightly bucks sports-entertainment. Imagine that on a larger scale. With McMahon's behind-the-scenes approval.

But yeah, the Attitude Era was mostly trashy nonsense.

jmdajr

That's great stuff. It's kinda neat to see them fall for the same things we did as kids and still do today.

A lot of the things are liked as a kid are amazingly still very relevant. Marvel Super Heroes, Ninja Turtles, Disney characters. Heck she LOVES Batman. And it's not even a forced upon her. She just started liking it. I just roll with it.

Even DBZ is still relevant. Trying to catch up on CrunchRoll.

Glam Rock though, that might have to stay on the shelf. But if she wants to listen to the "oldies", I'll be ready.

Wrestling has seen better days, but I would never call it totally irrelevant.

cordy

Banned
Did you literally read what he said next.. they refuse... dude AJ Styles is basically a legend already...

AJ is a guy who would say that he needs to find a way because he's that kinda of guy , but there's nothing he can do, they aren't going to boo him, period, it's not happening.

Bruh you completely misunderstood what he said. He said that the fans refuse to boo him judging his accomplishments and how much they respect him so it's up to him to be a better heel and find a way for fans to boo him. He even says that's on him and he's gotta find a way to do it.

It's like any new indie guy who comes in and the fans respect, they gotta find a way to get those fans to hate them and they do. Owens for example, he found a way to get booed even though he's loved. Styles has not done that because Owens is a better heel than Styles is. If he were a better heel this wouldn't happen.

Oh, and fuck the brand split for giving us way too many goddamn PPVs.

Don't watch them?

It's basically identical to WWE and WCW both having monthly shows

The other option is to have feuds be either 2 months long, or end on random TV shows making them feel less important.

I also like having less time to wait in between PPVS

I said as much earlier (though with only the WWE Title floating) and have been thinking about it more recently after having a weird dream that I revived the territory system.

On the other hand, as long as WWE continues to treat their titles as merely props that they do nothing to sell why anyone would want them it probably doesn't matter anyway. I miss commentators explaining exactly what being a champion entails and really informing why someone wants to be a champion beyond the bland "it means I'm the best" or "just because" vibe they have now.

Barrage

Bruh you completely misunderstood what he said. He said that the fans refuse to boo him judging his accomplishments and how much they respect him so it's up to him to be a better heel and find a way for fans to boo him. He even says that's on him and he's gotta find a way to do it.

It's like any new indie guy who comes in and the fans respect, they gotta find a way to get those fans to hate them and they do. Owens for example, he found a way to get booed even though he's loved. Styles has not done that because Owens is a better heel than Styles is. If he were a better heel this wouldn't happen.

I'm thankful that the Revival did that angle breaking Kofi's leg, if not for that you would have thought they were faces.

Sephzilla

The Attitude Era has honestly aged really poorly outside of a few angles.

I said as much earlier (though with only the WWE Title floating) and have been thinking about it more recently after having a weird dream that I revived the territory system.

On the other hand, as long as WWE continues to treat their titles as merely props that they do nothing to sell why anyone would want them it probably doesn't matter anyway. I miss commentators explaining exactly what being a champion entails and really informing why someone wants to be a champion beyond the bland "it means I'm the best" or "just because" vibe they have now.

This is one reason I miss the New Generation era. They did a good job of making those titles feel important.

Yeah and I'm saying AJ is a unique case, the fans do not want to hate him, they will never want to hate him... It's like saying Roman just needs to be a better face

Tom Nook

5bb12de2f5516d0f180b94a869b31267.jpg

Easy way to turn Ambrose heel and establish Nakamura as a lead guy on the main roster. Great way for both guys to get better. Just have them feud over the IC, Ambrose goes heel, Nakamura beats him for the belt, Ambrose goes against uppercard/main event faces as Nakamura does the IC title some good, boom we're good.

Is that pic recent? If so, there it is.

Top Bottom