• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Caderfix

No attempt at personality will be able salvage Roman after retiring the Undertaker. He's too far gone.

No such thing, man. Even when people do terrible things in real life a bunch of people are willing to let it go (unfortunately). In wrestling it doesn't even make sense to let such thing hold your enjoyment back, if they put hm in something interesting and he's able to do good, he'll win a LOT of fans.

Kaladin

Not as a face.

Them not turning him after retiring Taker is fucking hilarious.

I don't even think they can save him as a heal. He's just universally hated and retiring Undertaker pushed that over the edge. It was the opposite of Bryan winning at WMXXX.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Persona 5 on upupdowndown.

Not sure I'm ready for that :eek:

jmdajr

I don't even think they can save him as a heal. He's just universally hated and retiring Undertaker pushed that over the edge. It was the opposite of Bryan winning at WMXXX.

Think it's too late to change his theme?

I mean it's ingrained in people's head now.

"Fuck, here comes Roman again."

Kaladin

No such thing, man. Even when people do terrible things in real life a bunch of people are willing to let it go (unfortunately). In wrestling it doesn't even make sense to let such thing hold your enjoyment back, if they put hm in something interesting and he's able to do good, he'll win a LOT of fans.

I dunno man, I just think people are that tired of him that even a good angle won't save him.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't even think a well executed heel run would save him now.
Is it that difficult though? Just talk up how he killed the Undertaker. How everyone is beneath him and the fans need to just accept his dominance. Give them the ol' Batista "deal with it!". Go crazy. Flick the fans off. Kill fan favorites. Come out to Taker's entrance one week. There's SO MANY things you could do with a heel Reigns right now. It honestly seems a little crazy to suggest otherwise.

Sephzilla

Is it that difficult though? Just talk up how he killed the Undertaker. How everyone is beneath him and the fans need to just accept his dominance. Give them the ol' Batista "deal with it!". Go crazy. Flick the fans off. Kill fan favorites. Come out to Taker's entrance one week. There's SO MANY things you could do with a heel Reigns right now. It honestly seems a little crazy to suggest otherwise.

Opinion changed. Roman coming out dressed as Taker would be fucking amazing because with the hat and coat he could pull off the look and really fool people. It would be an amazing troll moment.

But yeah, Roman coming and going "Screw all of you, Vince likes me and thats why you're stuck with me" would be a fucking heat magnet

Zach

Man, "Voodoo Child" is a god dang theme, I tell you. Just listen to this s. I'm so sad it's cut on the Network now. v_v

imBask

Banned
i'm fairly sure that Roman is top 5 in shirt sales in WWE

We are not the target audience. Roman Reigns is fine where he is. Wrestling wouldn't be any better if he wasn't around and your favorite wrestler wouldn't be the champion

thequestion

Yeah, I just kinda hate the cruiserweights being totally ringfenced. That Keith Lee match at Joey Janelas Spring Break showed how much I miss those little man/big man matches.

Hell, JR made Roman sound more legit than he has in ages on commentary.

Toxic kick.

Good ol' JR. I lol'd.

Zach

We are not the target audience. Roman Reigns is fine where he is. Wrestling wouldn't be any better if he wasn't around and your favorite wrestler wouldn't be the champion

Even if your favorite wrestler were champion, WWE probably wouldn't be any better. There's just so much you dislike about it. Just admit it, people. It will never satisfy you. Like Data West.

jmdajr

But HHH would still be champion if it wasn't for Reigns!

:(:(:(:(

Kaladin

Think about it. Roman Reigns is the most universally hated figure in wrestling right now. He just defeated and unexpectedly retired a wrestling legend....hell, not a legend, a god. Nobody wanted it, and especially not for Reigns. He was already hated before, but even the snarkiest of crowds never told him to go away or said fuck you instead of you suck. That's nuclear heat and beyond that I don't think you can come back from.

Mahonay

Banned

Lol you are not going to grow your company's mass appeal with your top baby face having insane go away heat. Having your top "ass kicking good guy" booed into oblivion every week is a horrible look.

It's fine if WWE is willing to accept their fan base will stay stagnant as long as they stay this course.

jmdajr

Even if your favorite wrestler were champion, WWE probably wouldn't be any better. There's just so much you dislike about it. Just admit it, people. It will never satisfy you. Like Data West.

Wrestling, like a lot of hobbies, will never be perfect. I love watching football every Sunday and my day is ruined when we lose. Why do I keep doing it, I don't know.

But while WWE is not pefect it has never literally made me angry. It has however on many occasion, greatly confused me.

klonere

Banned

imBask GETS it.

and he doesn't even watch wrestling

gun_haver

Toxic kick.

Good ol' JR. I lol'd.

i loved it.

that's what you need. not the same vaguely physical regurgitation every week from the announcers, but a simple kick becoming a TOXIC KICK and a punch becoming a VILE RIGHT HAND. just put a little taste on it and the matches become much better. people say roman v taker was bad but i barely noticed except for the obvious botch because JR was selling me on it, and he was like 10% warmed up.

can't wait to hear JR again. fire JBL immediately and have JR replace him, i say.

Caderfix

If Braun didn't walk away from Brock yesterday I'd say that was my favorite RAW in years, YEARS. Even with that, it was good enough.

jmdajr

I think most of my favs got the strap at one point or another, at least from attitude era and onward. Can't keep good talent down forever.

Sephzilla

After Brock laid down the belt I was waiting for Braun to walk over it. A Brock/Braun hoss match would have been fucking lit. But then Braun walked off and it was stupid. My girlfriend, who for the record doesn't watch wrestling at all, sat down and watched some of it with me and saw that segment. When Braun walked off she said "well that was fucking stupid" and then went to grab some food.

So, I had a momentarily glimpse into why WWE can't retain casual fans

XenoRaven

Yep. He's not a failure and he's not carrying the company. He's a band aid on a wound that requires surgery.

I wish people would shut up about his boring ass and talk about literally anything else.

(Said the guy talking about him)

Mahonay

Banned
Roman right now is at least more bearable than having to deal with more Cena vs Orton a few years ago. At least it's interesting?

Sephzilla

Which of your favs never got the strap brother? Hogan Golden era doesn't count. Ain't nobody getting shit then.

6e8d24fd1ea5d27970d71776dac7e21d_crop_north.jpg

Kaladin

Roman right now is at least more bearable than having to deal with more Cena vs Orton a few years ago. At least it's interesting?

Cena vs Orton provided us with the memorable AA into an RKO double team from that Entire Roster vs Orton / Cena match.

Top Bottom