• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Lol D'Lo.

I love him, but no.
D'Lo could've had a run, I think if the Dro thing never happened, he would've gotten close or even there. But after that, it took away all of his confidence. Talk about a guy who was committed to making himself great. Almost weighing 400lbs then down to about 250. Great move set, charisma, he had it.

Sephzilla

During the 80s (after Hogan won it) how many people besides Hogan even held the WWF Title? I'm pretty sure it was just Macho Man and Andre.

EDIT - Here's the entire list of WWF Champs from 1980-1989; Bob Backlund, Iron Shiek, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Macho Man.

Zach

He's 12th!

In all honesty, Brian Pillman and Razor Ramon are in the top 5. But when do Shamrock and D'Lo get any credit?

The crowd was soooo into Shamrock for a time, but I don't care that he never won the strap because I always think about that time he called the Nation "monkeys".

It was treated as a World Title and it carried the legacy of the WCW Big Gold Belt. Plus it's retroactively a WWE title now.

This is like saying Bray main evented Mania. You believe it if you want to be happy, and it was a fun month when anyone thought it'd happen, but nobody on Earth takes it serious
Raven was the shit. Only time he got a top belt was in TNA when it was still the NWA title, and that wasn't for long.

That made me so sad. Finally gets respect, is a transitional champ losing on a HOUSE SHOW just so Jarrett can have the belt back to open dat Spike debut

Cagey

Banned
Which of your favs never got the strap brother? Hogan Golden era doesn't count. Ain't nobody getting shit then.

He was from Jersey, so as a kid, he was cool with me.

moon.gif

Hogan hogging the WWE title in the 80s meant a bunch of really great heels never got world titles in WWE

Piper, DiBiase, Jake, Rude...
WM 4 was supposed to be Ted's win but they switched to Randy. Jake never wanted it from what he has said, it was too much of a responsibility. Rude wanted it badly, especially during Warrior's run, he felt like it was bs that Warrior got it over him. Piper, well yeah he really suffered from it but he said fuck it, I'll just never do jobs lol.

WM 4 was supposed to be Ted's win but they switched to Randy. Jake never wanted it from what he has said, it was too much of a responsibility. Rude wanted it badly, especially during Warrior's run, he felt like it was bs that Warrior got it over him. Piper, well yeah he really suffered from it but he said fuck it, I'll just never do jobs lol.

No Yob

Mahonay

Banned
Piper even avoided jobbing to Hogan if I remember correctly.

Sephzilla

Fun fact: Stone Cold Steve Austin's longest WWF Title reign was only 175 days. It's also his only title reign (of 6) that went into triple digits. The next longest was only 91 days.

5 WWE that never got the strap

Mr Perfect
Roddy Piper
Jake Roberts
Gangrel (don't judge me)
Raven
The funny thing is that, it seemed as if gangrel had a long run but in reality he didn't. Would've been interewto see him hold the strap during the ae.

Jamie OD

I feel like I heard a story that piper never wanted a belt.

I remember it was brought up after he died. The reasoning was Piper felt he never needed it because he was so over without it. However he was also protective with how he was booked so I think he avoided titles to avoid having to eventually lose matches. Because back then losing clean in major programs would damage your drawing power.

Zach

Piper even avoided jobbing to Hogan if I remember correctly.

cagematch.net has him at 1-24 to Hogan. >_>

That one win was in sweet, sweet WCW, by the way. :D

(But then it wasn't even for the championship at the biggest show of the year so it didn't matter. >____>)

Curt Hennig should have won the belt in TNA while he was there

Damn shame he couldn't have worn gold while coming out to that incredible entrance music

jmdajr

That's the only time WWE considered it the main belt. Because HHH wanted to live out his fantasy.

jerkH_zpsf3fngdrh.gif

Well during his Reign of Terror HHH he put over Cena, Bautista, and Orton. I mean say what you will but it's not like they were bad choices. All still totally relevant.

Yeah but Booker T

Hey I can't fix that, but that dude too eventually got the strap. Too much talent not to.

Zach

You know, through 2008, I haven't really felt that the World Championship is considered lower than the WWE Championship. There are plenty of matches with Batista, The Undertaker, and Edge that are being presented as top-tier.

Shruuug.

Top Bottom