• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

gun_haver

Judging by the posts here, I think this thread has a bunch of Lapsed Fan listeners. Am I correct on this?

there have been in the past, dunno how many now. one guy has a nick named after it.

i was listening regularly until the AWA episodes (didn't care), haven't checked back in since, but i probably will again.

heard they took a shit all over this year's mania though, which i can't really be bothered listening to, since i thought it was all right.

In case you missed it DDP getting worked into a shoot.

He starts cursing on ESPN

From there, all hell broke loose for a few moments. DDP started calling Le Batard "monkey" over and over again, and eventually, he started dropping F-bombs as well. Fortunately—for ESPN, at least—a producer dumped the curse words and went to commercial as quickly as possible. But in the clip above, you can hear DDP’s audio cut out and see the reactions on the faces of Le Batard and his crew as DDP loses his cool
http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/...s-at-dan-le-batard-during-live-espn-interview

Mahonay

Banned
Have you, Bluekaveli?
osDP6pc.gif

So I've continued the Mania rewatching while I still have the Network, and I've got to say, I did get a twinge of sadness hearing Taker's theme.

Also Roman should totally team up with Jinder and they can be called Roman Veins. Why yes, I do just base tag teams out of whatever shite puns I think of.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I will not stand for vascularity-shaming Muscles Mahal.

Who can step on stage a moment's notice and place top 5 in a natural BB competition? Juicy Jinder, that's who.

I'm sure Jinder doesn't give a damn if some fat fan thinks he's too buff given that most of us never will or could get that buff.

The real comedy is when Rusev comes back, the fans are happy to see him and Lana and he immediately goes into some kind of "fuck america" promo and we realize he's still a heel for no real reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The thing I was thinking yesterday after Raw is that Vince might have a point at this juncture to not turn him heel. (He didn't for the last three years)

Turning him heel isn't calculated to do anything but make him get less of a reaction.

Beefy

I'm sure Jinder doesn't give a damn if some fat fan thinks he's too buff given that most of us never will or could get that buff.

The real comedy is when Rusev comes back, the fans are happy to see him and Lana and he immediately goes into some kind of "fuck america" promo and we realize he's still a heel for no real reason.

Only way I could get that big is juicing. No way am I taking anything more then protein drinks and creatine.

I really wonder if someone in the company thinks Sami should be having Daniel Bryan popularity by now.
They most definitely do. I've said it before but WWE are basically giving Sami booking to intentionally be a Daniel Bryan underdog, completely missing the fucking point that people like Daniel, or Zack or on the woman side Becky or Bayley were underdogs because creative just genuinely had nothing for them but they managed to gain support nonetheless.

I really wonder if someone in the company thinks Sami should be having Daniel Bryan popularity by now.

They probably thought that constantly treating him like shit would get him over as an underdog, but forgot that Bryan got over naturally, in part because he WAS the underdog. All they've done with Sami is make him look like a jabroni.

klonere

Banned
Did you know in 1984 Vince didn't poach talent, buy TV time, book arenas just to fuck with competition (even if he didn't have the card for a show) but he also filled the airwaves with over 9 HOURS of TV per week. In 1984! You had 3 syndicated shows (3 hours), All American (1 hour), Tuesday Night Titans (1.5 to 2 hours), Prime Time Wrestling (2 hours).

Time is a flat circle.

Did you know in 1984 Vince didn't poach talent, buy TV time, book arenas just to fuck with competition (even if he didn't have the card for a show) but he also filled the airwaves with over 9 HOURS of TV per week. In 1984! You had 3 syndicated shows (3 hours), All American (1 hour), Tuesday Night Titans (1.5 to 2 hours), Prime Time Wrestling (2 hours).

Time is a flat circle.

giphy.gif

Tagyhag

Time is a flat circle.

Speaking of the 80's, does anyone know exactly what factors contributed to so much drug abuse back then?

Watching matches of that time, while they clearly still took bumps, they definitely seemed a lot tamer and slower than modern times, but painkiller abuse was as rampant as ever.

So why is it not as bad today? Better medical services? Less wrestling in general? More attention on how to take bumps better?

HAHA I saw what Matt posted on Twitter. Broken gimmick confirmed dead.

Speculation of them slowly bringing it back never made sense to me either, older people are too informed these days.

klonere

Banned
Speaking of the 80's, does anyone know exactly what factors contributed to so much drug abuse back then?

Watching matches of that time, while they clearly still took bumps, they definitely seemed a lot tamer and slower than modern times, but painkiller abuse was as rampant as ever.

So why is it not as bad today? Better medical services? Less wrestling in general? More attention on how to take bumps better?

Medical advances plus the WWF schedule in the 80s was absolute insanity.

Seeing as Vince wanted to be EVERYWHERE immediately, he didn't just do it in nice, set out tours like they do nowadays. Whenever he saw an open arena booking in a rival territory he would just take it and just make the boys work it be-damned if they had 2 shows the day previous half way across the country.

And of course, mental health stigma/be a man/stiff upper lip leading to people carrying injuries far longer than they should have.

Working non stop and being on the road 300 days. There was no guaranteed money unless you wrestled so guys would put all sorts of shit in their body

I think the Hardy's are fine with the nostalgia run while also basically getting chants related to the Broken gimmick. And it seems they've got the okay to encourage the Delete chants.

klonere

Banned
Sorry, yes Vince wasn't the only one doing these crazy schedules, he just took it to 11.

Although Crockett 85/86 might have been worse.

The Hardyz will do fine, the Broken gimmick is too attached to them at this point people will continue to cheer for them and do their chants.

Angry Grimace

What is the next SD PPV? From what I can tell they don't have one scheduled until Backlash in mid-May.

Tagyhag

Medical advances plus the WWF schedule in the 80s was absolute insanity.

Seeing as Vince wanted to be EVERYWHERE immediately, he didn't just do it in nice, set out tours like they do nowadays. Whenever he saw an open arena booking in a rival territory he would just take it and just make the boys work it be-damned if they had 2 shows the day previous half way across the country.

And of course, mental health stigma/be a man/stiff upper lip leading to people carrying injuries far longer than they should have.

Working non stop and being on the road 300 days. There was no guaranteed money unless you wrestled so guys would put all sorts of shit in their body

Ah thanks, wasn't so sure about the intensity of the schedule back then but that makes perfect sense.

What is the next SD PPV? From what I can tell they don't have one scheduled until Backlash in mid-May.
Backlash.

Edit: Shit, didn't see your edit. Sorry, my bad. Yeah it's Backlash. With Payback at the end of April and then a couple weeks until May.

So they've got more then a month of just Smackdown's. Makes me wonder what stuff they'll do.

A nostalgia run that will get old in a few months, and no more fun promos or video packages seems like a complete net negative for wrestling. That return pop wasn't even close to worth it.

HAHA I saw what Matt posted on Twitter. Broken gimmick confirmed dead.

Speculation of them slowly bringing it back never made sense to me either, older people are too informed these days.

WWE would probably have Matt brought the Broken gimmick to the organization down the road but since it's caught up in legal ties, makes no sense to risk it.

Which is probably why the Hardys agreed to work in the WWE since they were planning to do it over at ROH until that C&D from Anthem was released. Might as well get more money if they are just going to be doing the ol' Hardys' shtick. Like I said before, Matt is very creative so who knows if he can cook something up during his time with WWE.

Hex

Banned
I specifically said 4.0, not 4m.

But now I hate myself for talking about ratings. I still like Roman!

I will not lie, I am impressed with what they did considering the hype of the Final Four finals. (I am not a fan but it was a thing).
I think that next week will be interesting after this last Raw was so solid

Kaladin

I still say WWE will do their own version of the broken gimmick. As it was, the broken gimmick would have never worked in WWE. They would never have got the creative and production freedom they had with it and they would have never went on the world tour thing collecting all the belts with it. I think WWE can do their own thing with something like that and be as successful without being a copy of it.

Top Bottom