• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Fox318

Right?! Glad someone checked it out and had a good time. It's not a five-star classic, but it was such a surprisingly enjoyable match that it needed a shout-out. Arn, man. Arn!

Its essentially 2 out of shape fat men who don't do much but it works. They don't play to the hard cam and they don't fucking plug shit ever 3 seconds.

No fucking crazy spots.

its great

C8sKmLaXgAAjTsS.jpg

jmdajr

It was kind of amazing how Mania had no backstage segments, no legends segments and little to do with New Day hosting.

There was a strong focus on the matches and making every match a main event....and I liked that.

I got no beef with this. .

jmdajr

Yall should know how this company works by now. It's pretty predictable. The Shield Boyz are gonna run roughshod over the title picture for the next decade.

Shied should eventually reform as a heel stable, and then battle against The Club.

But that's sounds too good to be true.

Kaladin

I got no beef with this. .

Now just cut the music performances, trim the # of matches and make it closer to a 4 hour show rather than a 5 hour show. Hell, you can even add an event during the weekend and make it a Mania "pre-show" complete with a main event caliber match and scratch the day of pre-show.

cordy

Banned
Shied should eventually reform as a heel stable, and then battle against The Club.

But that's sounds too good to be true.

I think Ambrose/Rollins will be a tag team later this year before they breakup and be in the title feud against each other leading to an Ambrose heel turn but the Shield as a whole will definitely rejoin. They just gotta get them all on the same brand.

I read in a WON once that they plan on having the Shield rejoin, breakup and rejoin throughout their entire careers like DX did so it's just a matter of building up opponents because we all know they're not losing as a unit.

imBask

Banned
listening to clips from that Jericho Reigns podcast...

you know how everyone hated Cena but then we realized "hey he's actually a really cool guy outside the ring"?

Reigns is like the exact opposite, he sounds like the biggest piece of shit douchebag in the world

jmdajr

you know how everyone hated Cena but then we realized "hey he's actually a really cool guy outside the ring"?

Reigns is like the exact opposite, he sounds like the biggest piece of shit douchebag in the world

Lol. Yeah I can't say he comes across as instantly likable. But Wrasslin' needs douchebags too.

Kaladin

His whole opinion of the crowd is the wrongest thing that has ever been wrong in pro wrestling.

They can boo me if they think it will make them cool with the guy sitting next to them, I'm gonna be me, boo or cheer, I don't care it's loud.

I'm paraphrasing there of course, but that's the extent and it's the dumbest thing I've heard since the last time I went down the Judge Judy rabbit hole on YouTube.

cordy

Banned

I actually disagree. Reigns sounds awesome outside the ring. He sounds exactly like many people I know IRL that I went to school with. I can't recall any problems with how he was acting on TIJ.

What did he say that made him seem like a "piece of shit douchebag" on the show? Maybe I missed it. The only thing that seems screwy I can remember is him touting the company line of "the crowd paid their money, it's ok" but they all say that.

General wrestling question - do you like "exploit the injury" matches? when a wrestler has an injury and the other wrestler just sticks to moves that hurt that area, do people like that? Is it entertaining to see someone constantly do leg or arm injuring moves almost exclusively for an entire match?
I've always thought those matches were really boring. I'm curious what others think.

imBask

Banned
I actually disagree. Reigns sounds awesome outside the ring. He sounds exactly like many people I know IRL that I went to school with. I can't recall any problems with how he was acting on TIJ.

What did he say that made him seem like a "piece of shit douchebag" on the show? Maybe I missed it.

it's just the way he talks, the way he bloats about money and getting paid, the way he talks about his looks, the way he seems to not give a fuck about anything or anyone, the way he talks about the crowd and the fans is just a little off

he's a guy I would NEVER want to be friends with basically

jmdajr

What did he say that made him seem like a "piece of shit douchebag" on the show? Maybe I missed it. The only thing that seems screwy I can remember is him touting the company line of "the crowd paid their money, it's ok" but they all say that.

I don't know about piece of shit douchebag, but for sure there is some arrogance there. But hey that is actually an assest as a wrestler.

19900423_martel_arrogance.jpg

General wrestling question - do you like "exploit the injury" matches? when a wrestler has an injury and the other wrestler just sticks to moves that hurt that area, do people like that? Is it entertaining to see someone constantly do leg or arm injuring moves almost exclusively for an entire match?
I've always thought those matches were really boring. I'm curious what others think.
Psychology brother. Some times it can be boring but it works. What sucks is when you work the part the entire match but your opponent just won't sell for shit so you have to legit beat their ass.

I think some wrestlers can do it well, but for the most part it's really boring. Sami Zayn and Kenny Omega do it pretty well and I'm hard-pressed to think of others.

Shoot: AJ & Roman will put on a good series of matches

Double shoot: They will be hated because we'll get them every week for the next 8 weeks instead of building to one big match

Zach

it's just the way he talks, the way he bloats about money and getting paid, the way he talks about his looks, the way he seems to not give a fuck about anything or anyone, the way he talks about the crowd and the fans is just a little off

he's a guy I would NEVER want to be friends with basically

So he's like Brock Lesnar.

Kaladin

It depends on how they work it. If it's just the other wrestler working the injury and the match ends, yeah, it's boring. If they tell a story using the injury then that can be interesting.

If thy are done well... Suzuki/Okada was nuts and even though I might not have loved the finish it was still amazing.

I loved both Roode/Nakamura matches because of the work the body part factor.

HHH/Rollins didn't do as well as the above matches but I still think it added to the match

Tagyhag

Huh, just realized that Rock hasn't missed a Wrestlemania since he hosted 27, until this one. That's interesting, especially since it's at his billed state.

Heroman

Banned
Yes
tumblr_ol0dzmifOr1s05wxzo2_400.gif

If it's just somebody kicking a guy in the knee for 20 minutes, then yeah I find it boring. There are ways of working a body part and still be interesting though. Tanahashi is a guy who I think does it extremely well, he knows how to shut his opponent down at just the right moment.

Tall4Life

If it's just somebody kicking a guy in the knee for 20 minutes, then yeah I find it boring. There are ways of working a body part and still be interesting though. Tanahashi is a guy who I think does it extremely well, he knows how to shut his opponent down at just the right moment.
Yeah, Tana's use of the dragon screws late in his WK9 match with Okada was awesome, loved it

Sephzilla

Storyline wise it makes sense for Seth to move over to Smackdown. Shane would probably want him on his show since Seth inadvertently took out Steph and beat HHH. Seth could use the fresh start anyway.

AJ going to Raw means we could get AJ/Sami, AJ/KO, AJ/Balor, and honestly AJ/Roman worked before

Kaladin

Storyline wise it makes sense for Seth to move over to Smackdown. Shane would probably want him on his show since Seth inadvertently took out Steph and beat HHH. Seth could use the fresh start anyway.

AJ going to Raw means we could get AJ/Sami, AJ/KO, AJ/Balor, and honestly AJ/Roman worked before

Roman is like Cena in that he can have amazing matches with good opponents.

GunBR

I agree
For me this type of thing looks extremely fake, even for a fake sport

And I hate how Sami does this shit in 90% of his matches

Top Bottom