• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

AJ vs Roman at Extreme Rules has been my favorite AJ match so far during his WWE run and the Payback match was good minus the fuckery finish so I welcome those two fighting again.

DEMON KINGVIBE? WHERE ARE YOU DEMON KINGVIBE? THERE'S SOMETHING I'M NOT FEELING OUT HERE IN THIS ARENA RIGHT NOW, AND THAT'S THE DEMON KINGVIBE

jmdajr

Roman man. Weird times we live in. Acting like a heel, fans acting likes he's a heel, but not presented as a heel.

The plus is that he's getting real heel heat like back in the old days. Some folks will argue that it's bad for business. But it's not like the dude has to carry the company on his back. These days are different now.

Despite what he says, the fans hurt his feelers back in The Rumble. You could see it.
Yes now, he don't give a fuck.

A smarter movie for Rollins/HHH would have been to cut down 10 minutes and have HHH trying to target the knee but Rollins always protecting it . They did that at the beginning and it worked really well.

Silexx

I know there's talk about New Day being moved to Smackdown, but I sort of wonder if they could be sending Enzo & Cass as well. After losing their #1 contenders match, I don't see what program they could get themselves into (I guess the Revival? But I feel they're going straight to the title scene). Plus, given how over the Hardyz are, E&C are already getting overshadowed so sending them to SD would give them breathing room.

Sephzilla

I think literally the only change they need to do with Roman is have Vince/Steph publicly come out and say he's their guy and they support him, and have Roman be cool with it. Then he's officially a heel.

RBH

The one potential bright spot of AJ going to Raw?

A Bullet Club feud/stable with Balor, Gallows, Anderson, and Styles all on the same show.

I don't know if anyone listens to Crimetown, but the latest episode talks about a high school student who vandalized a billboard, and I laughed at what he did.

Edit: Huh, so this is the "Andre has a posse" guy, and the one who did the Obama Hope poster? Insane.

AA for New Day and Charlotte for Alexa are pretty perfect picks.

New Day are a tag team that are just hanging around on Raw with nothing to do. On Smackdown they can bring a fresh air to the division. AA's best shot at ever being over are if Raw just puts them in a bunch of segments with Kurt Angle playing off the similarities and playing up more comedic stuff other then the generic as fuck tag team Smackdown has made them.

Charlotte's done literally everything she can do on Raw. Smackdown needs both A) a good female wrestler because most of the roster isn't great in the ring and B) a big enough star of a woman with Nikki gone. Alexa herself has already had two big feuds, won the belt twice, and can go to Raw where she and Sasha can start shooting on each other.

Kaladin

The one potential bright spot of AJ going to Raw?

A Bullet Club feud/stable with Balor, Gallows, Anderson, and Styles all on the same show.

I could see Balor going to Smackdown to be the new face of the show after the Wyatt angle has run it's course.

cordy

Banned
I actually advise everyone to listen to the Jericho interview. Like Jericho said, there's 2 versions of Reigns. There's the one you seen on screen with the "beating everyone" and mega-push but then there's this guy on the podcast. It's like he's a completely different guys and it's the reason that he's that way off-camera that they love him backstage. If they let him be himself, as you hear on the podcast, he'd probably get over.
it's just the way he talks, the way he bloats about money and getting paid, the way he talks about his looks, the way he seems to not give a fuck about anything or anyone, the way he talks about the crowd and the fans is just a little off

he's a guy I would NEVER want to be friends with basically

Maaaaaannnnnnn where are you from? He sounds pretty normal. I live in the Southern US and Reigns sounds like a regular guy here. He actually sounds like a great leader. He's like that cool kid in the back of the class who talks to everyone and has fun but when the time comes to get busy he can do it. Roman said throughout the podcast that it's about family, brotherhood and teamwork so idk where you're saying he sounds like he doesn't care about anything. That's pretty much the main thing he talked about. He never acted like money was bigger than he was and each time he mentioned it he said "I have a daughter to feed, I'm at the head of the household" type of stuff.

I also don't know what you mean by saying he doesn't care about anyone or anything. He said he wishes everyone could be world champion and if he had the power he'd make it that way, said he doesn't feel like he's the "star player" and that they're all an entire big team and he can't do it alone hence why he doesn't feel like the star. He also said that anyone who let's him go over is the most thoughtful selfless thing they could do in the business and even gave a shoutout to Sheamus. Idk this comment from him says it all to me.
"That's my comfort zone, being with the boys and being in the locker room and just all of the towns. And we've been everywhere and we've seen nothing, but we have so many memories with these same people and that's why we're a family and that's why you have to be a close as we are. I think that's why this business is so strong, because we go our there and we do the ultimate favor for each other. We kick each other's ass and love each other for it. So it's a strange group." Reigns added, "It was like a competitive hate. I feel like we have a competitive love. Do you know what I mean? Like, I like competing with top-of-the-line wrestlers, but, like, they can still be my friend. I don't feel like I have to be dirty or malicious or, like, pull strings behind-the-scenes. Let's just go out there and bust our ass every night and be as good as we're supposed to be and we'll be alright. Like, just don't stink out the joint and I think that's where we're thriving and that's what makes it easy for me, is we are friends. Do you know what I mean? It's a tough life and it's a tough schedule, but if you're doing it with people you care for and enjoying being around them… You can't go wrong."

I mean even at one point Reigns said that when someone new's there he tries to be cool with them and help them out.

The comments on the fans is something everyone says too. His comments on his looks could be taken both ways too because he was actually giving himself a lot of shots through that podcast towards how he used to look to how he wasn't the man in FCW, how he isn't a star now, how he's needed others, he even made a joke about himself wishing Shield was around longer because he thought he'd be getting that hot tag for a minute.

If anything the biggest thing I took from this is that Reigns is pretty humble.

So he's like Brock Lesnar.
He's completely different from Lesnar

Lesnar doesn't like people, hates working with others, only cares about money. Reigns loves people, always helps them out, he's great with communicating off-camera and he's all about teamwork.

jmdajr

I think literally the only change they need to do with Roman is have Vince/Steph publicly come out and say he's their guy and they support him, and have Roman be cool with it. Then he's officially a heel.

It ain't gonna happen. The commentary team should at least start playing it neutral, and stop muting the crowd.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Roman man. Weird times we live in. Acting like a heel, fans acting likes he's a heel, but not presented as a heel.

The plus is that he's getting real heel heat like back in the old days. Some folks will argue that it's bad for business. But it's not like the dude has to carry the company on his back. These days are different now.

Despite what he says, the fans hurt his feelers back in The Rumble. You could see it.

I'm not going to lie. I look forward to seeing the reaction Reigns gets. Its one of my favorite things in wrestling. I also really liked his one line promo on Raw.

I don't mind matches working an injured limb. I hate matches where an injured limb is worked and it's continuously no sold throughout the match and the person with the injured limb then wins.

Basically Seth vs HHH was shit in that regard.

Man, I felt terrible for him during the Rumble. You could tell that he was expecting to be his coronation, only to get shit on. The Rock's reaction said it all. They sent Roman to a firing squad and no one saw it coming (except for all of the fans, of course)

Sephzilla

Man, I felt terrible for him during the Rumble. You could tell that he was expecting to be his coronation, only to get shit on. The Rock's reaction said it all. They sent Roman to a firing squad and no one saw it coming (except for all of the fans, of course)

I think the fact that the sent Rock out there shows they absolutely saw it coming. Rock was there to placate the crowd, thankfully the crowd saw right through it.

korly

Now just cut the music performances, trim the # of matches and make it closer to a 4 hour show rather than a 5 hour show. Hell, you can even add an event during the weekend and make it a Mania "pre-show" complete with a main event caliber match and scratch the day of pre-show.

Filling stadiums of that size takes a LONG TIME. That's why those preshows exist, so people who are sitting in the seats 2 hours early have something to watch. And the musical performances give everyone a chance to take a piss and buy some merch.

Yeah, that stuff doesn't play on TV, but it's a by-product of running these enormous venues and a necessary evil.

I know there's talk about New Day being moved to Smackdown, but I sort of wonder if they could be sending Enzo & Cass as well. After losing their #1 contenders match, I don't see what program they could get themselves into (I guess the Revival? But I feel they're going straight to the title scene). Plus, given how over the Hardyz are, E&C are already getting overshadowed so sending them to SD would give them breathing room.
I just read that they're sending shitzo and ass to sd as well 😑

Fucking bs.

I actually advise everyone to listen to the Jericho interview. Like Jericho said, there's 2 versions of Reigns. There's the one you seen on screen with the "beating everyone" and mega-push but then there's this guy on the podcast. It's like he's a completely different guys and it's the reason that he's that way off-camera that they love him backstage. If they let him be himself, as you hear on the podcast, he'd probably get over.

Maaaaaannnnnnn where are you from? He sounds pretty normal. I live in the Southern US and Reigns sounds like a regular guy here. He actually sounds like a great leader. He's like that cool kid in the back of the class who talks to everyone and has fun but when the time comes to get busy he can do it. Roman said throughout the podcast that it's about family, brotherhood and teamwork so idk where you're saying he sounds like he doesn't care about anything. That's pretty much the main thing he talked about. He never acted like money was bigger than he was and each time he mentioned it he said "I have a daughter to feed, I'm at the head of the household" type of stuff.

I also don't know what you mean by saying he doesn't care about anyone or anything. He said he wishes everyone could be world champion and if he had the power he'd make it that way, said he doesn't feel like he's the "star player" and that they're all an entire big team and he can't do it alone hence why he doesn't feel like the star. He also said that anyone who let's him go over is the most thoughtful selfless thing they could do in the business and even gave a shoutout to Sheamus. Idk this comment from him says it all to me.

I mean even at one point Reigns said that when someone new's there he tries to be cool with them and help them out.

The comments on the fans is something everyone says too. His comments on his looks could be taken both ways too because he was actually giving himself a lot of shots through that podcast towards how he used to look to how he wasn't the man in FCW, how he isn't a star now, how he's needed others, he even made a joke about himself wishing Shield was around longer because he thought he'd be getting that hot tag for a minute.

If anything the biggest thing I took from this is that Reigns is pretty humble.

He's completely different from Lesnar

Lesnar doesn't like people, hates working with others, only cares about money. Reigns loves people, always helps them out, he's great with communicating off-camera and he's all about teamwork.

It's why I really wanted Reigns on Smackdown.... Reigns on Talking Smack with Daniel Bryan could do wonders for his character,

RBH

I didn't get the chance to watch much of Raw live, so I'm watching the replay on Hulu.

Nia Jax has almost zero TV awareness when it comes to playing up to the camera. It's like she forgets that the hard camera exists. That, and her making a funny face to the camera during her entrance.............her character as a whole has zero direction at this point.

Dave talked some more about the Mauro stuff. Genuinely upsetting heinous shit

Dave said:
Since this subject came up to so many, including the coincidence of Roberts being at WaleMania and seeing him just after I was reading the book, and the Ranallo subject being what we talked about and a major subject all weekend, has made me feel I was far too lenient in last week’s issue.
Now, I would like to think Layfield at this point regrets what happened greatly. I don’t know that, but I’d like to think that because if I didn’t think that, I’d think he was a terrible human being. But still, there was one story after another told to me by a number of different people all weekend long.
[Bullying] is still a subject that is strong within the company and this incident really showed that. .... the WWE mindset is like nothing else. For those who cover pro wrestling somewhat closely, nor just do stories on it rarely and also do other sports, the reaction I’ve always gotten is they’ve never seen anything like it.
The company is in a very weird position right now because Ranallo not being there makes this a public issue. But it’s a story that will probably not get them any negative publicity even though it’s real. So corporately, they don’t have to react and haven’t. Hopefully, this is the wake-up call to change and realize the old days are over. In most modern wrestling companies, they are over. There really may only be one left. As much as that one company despises the old days of carny rasslin, in reality, behind-the-scenes, they may be the last major one left with the same mentality.
There's way more on it in the actual issue. At one point he says "The belief across-the-board is Layfield’s weeding out those who can’t take it comes from above".

I didn't get the chance to watch much of Raw live, so I'm watching the replay on Hulu.

Nia Jax has almost zero TV awareness when it comes to playing up to the camera. It's like she forgets that the hard camera exists. That, and her making a funny face to the camera during her entrance.............her character as a whole has zero direction at this point.
I think she's way too focused on the hard camera. I'm pretty sure there's been a billion times when Nia does her finisher but then awkwardly has to move to the other side of her opponent so she can pin her while staring directly at the hard cam.

jmdajr

..etc.

I think some people don't like the fact that he is basically mocking fans for booing him.

"If that makes you look good in front of your friends go for it."

It's not exactly the same as Miz wanting fans to boo him or hate him. I think the guy still hasn't come to grips that some people literally hate him. Not as a character but as a person, even though, he is playing a character.

I don't hate him, but he does act with some sort of cognitive dissonance of why people boo. Almost Trump like. As long as he uses it to feed his character it can work.

Sephzilla

True, they saw it coming, but didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

Yeah, I think that's accurate. They probably figured the crowd would be (rightfully) upset since Daniel Bryan went out relatively early. But didn't expect the crowd to be so pissed they'd boo The Rock. Rock's reaction to the whole thing is fucking great. He gets that brief pop and then it all immediately turns to boos again. Rock's face is like "shit, I haven't had this much heat since i shit on the Kings in Sacramento"

Goddamn, Vince really REALLY doesn't want Smackdown to go over. Guess it's because RAW is his baby.

It was the same in 2002. The moment Smackdown tried to elevate itself beyond its B show role, it got neutered.

What's the point of having another show? Jesus...

And there's no way Vince lets Nakamura be their top guy. If he didn't let AJ be their top guy, he ain't letting Nakamura. This is what'll happen to the annoyance of some of you.

- Styles goes to Raw
- Nakamura beats Miz
- Corbin beats Ambrose and becomes IC Champion
- Wyatt beats Orton and becomes WWE Champion again
- Nakamura beats Corbin for the IC
- Ambrose beats Wyatt and becomes WWE Champion again (their 2016 feud was pushed back)
- Rollins (who's been drafted) feuds with Ambrose as Ambrose goes heel

Yall should know how this company works by now. It's pretty predictable. The Shield Boyz are gonna run roughshod over the title picture for the next decade.

Vince just likes to pander that predictability.

Dave talked some more about the Mauro stuff. Genuinely upsetting heinous shit

There's way more on it in the actual issue. At one point he says "The belief across-the-board is Layfield’s weeding out those who can’t take it comes from above".

Wait, what exactly did JBL do? Do they know that much?

cordy

Banned
It's why I really wanted Reigns on Smackdown.... Reigns on Talking Smack with Daniel Bryan could do wonders for his character,

100% agree.

Reigns backstage and off-camera is actually that dude that they need. The problem is how he's presented on-stage and there's a disconnect. A SDL trade would do him wonders. It's a completely different version of himself when you hear that podcast. He's exactly what the wrestlers say he is but then you get him on-screen. A big problem is that when wrestlers say he's a good guy and he's fun and everything they want us to believe it but all we see is what we see on-screen which is damaged due to his booking. We don't know how he is backstage. With that said they often let their view of him backstage change how he's viewed when the cameras are on.

But until he either goes heel, switches brands or until someone takes his spot, he'll continue to be screwed up sadly.

He's generally a cool dude.

Ya'll spend way too much time trying to come up with ideal scenarios and dream bookings around the roster and moves.

Just sit back, and soak it in. Seriously. The less you try and figure out "why" or "how" the more enjoyable it all becomes.

Anth0ny

Meltzer said he wouldn't be surprised if they just split Mania into two nights. 3 hour show each night so that people aren't burnt out by the 5th hour.

Now that WWE has basically made Mania into a 4 day event anyways with Hall of Fame, NXT, Mania and Raw after Mania (not to mention all the other shit happening at the same time), I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to milk the hardest of the hardcore even harder by making Mania a 2 night show.

Wait, what exactly did JBL do? Do they know that much?

They won't go into detail because it's obviously personal stuff, all that's known is bullying did occur and it was severe enough Mauro relapsed into a depressive state, and it was essentially ignored by the company (at least in the sense that JBL faced no consequences for it besides having to delete one further instigating tweet after Mauro missed his first SD of absence for it)

tumblr_ocahvzmAjQ1saykaxo1_400.gif

remember when everyone thought he didn't raise the belt because the crowd might boo since they were shitting so hard on the belt but then it came out it's because he'd probably have popped his shoulder even more from raising his arm that high

Sephzilla

remember when everyone thought he didn't raise the belt because the crowd might boo since they were shitting so hard on the belt but then it came out it's because he'd probably have popped his shoulder even more from raising his arm that high

...then why didn't he raise it with his good arm?

And there's no way Vince lets Nakamura be their top guy. If he didn't let AJ be their top guy, he ain't letting Nakamura. This is what'll happen to the annoyance of some of you.

- Styles goes to Raw
- Nakamura beats Miz
- Corbin beats Ambrose and becomes IC Champion
- Wyatt beats Orton and becomes WWE Champion again
- Nakamura beats Corbin for the IC
- Ambrose beats Wyatt and becomes WWE Champion again (their 2016 feud was pushed back)
- Rollins (who's been drafted) feuds with Ambrose as Ambrose goes heel

Yall should know how this company works by now. It's pretty predictable. The Shield Boyz are gonna run roughshod over the title picture for the next decade.
How is AJ not a top guy?

jmdajr

Meltzer said he wouldn't be surprised if they just split Mania into two nights. 3 hour show each night so that people aren't burnt out by the 5th hour.

Now that WWE has basically made Mania into a 4 day event anyways with Hall of Fame, NXT, Mania and Raw after Mania (not to mention all the other shit happening at the same time), I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to milk the hardest of the hardcore even harder by making Mania a 2 night show.

Why spend 200 dollars for one night, when you can spend 400 for two!

Roman's issue isn't a heel or baby issue.

even he hits the nail on the head: Roman's biggest problem is Vince.

Roman talks about the crowd doing what its going to do and he is right. So why jump across the line to change affiliation? His moto is to be himself but the problem here is, of course, the scripts he's given.

The thing with scripts: it is hard to learn how to regurgitate them while sounding natural. That in and of itself is an entirely different skill set that many people train for years to master. While these guys and gals are in the entertainment business, they're not learning classical acting training.

Yes, they're learning promos, gimmicks and characters, but I have seen nothing to suggest the trainers in development know how to teach delivery.

Fuck, you look at Sasha, Bayley and Roman...they all suffer from being unable to sound natural when bouncing words off a script.

Roman's problem isn't a baby or heel problem imho. The guy needs to be the dude who sat on that Jericho podcast a few days back. Listen to that guy. That is one cool dude.

edit: just ready cordy's post. excellent post, cordy

Tom Nook

WM Raw brand and WM SD brand?

I can see that, more ticket sales for WWE.

They won't go into detail because it's obviously personal stuff, all that's known is bullying did occur and it was severe enough Mauro relapsed into a depressive state, and it was essentially ignored by the company (at least in the sense that JBL faced no consequences for it besides having to delete one further instigating tweet after Mauro missed his first SD of absence for it)

Yeah, I remember that tweet. What a piece of shit, both JBL and the folks above him responsible for not doing anything about it.

Also didn't know Joey Styles knocked him out on a plane before, OH MY GOD.

Top Bottom