• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Caderfix

Seeing a person behind the camera doesn't make me enjoy the character more. It can make me stop watching a character I used to like due to the performer being a bad person, but I'll never like a character better only because I think the person behind it is nice.

Meltzer said he wouldn't be surprised if they just split Mania into two nights. 3 hour show each night so that people aren't burnt out by the 5th hour.

Now that WWE has basically made Mania into a 4 day event anyways with Hall of Fame, NXT, Mania and Raw after Mania (not to mention all the other shit happening at the same time), I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to milk the hardest of the hardcore even harder by making Mania a 2 night show.
Yeah.... No.

The TNA pot is boiling hot and it's about to spill it's hot white foam on the world of wrestling, friend.
Lay off of the stuff.

Kaladin

Wasn't it that segment on Bring It To The Table where JBL went off on Mauro that set this whole thing off? Should that be like, edited or something?

Confused by that as well. I don't see how there can be any doubt that AJ was Smackdown's top guy. Given, its kind of by default since Cena is a part timer now.
In his first year with the company, he beat Cena clean, became world champ and main evented several PPV's and commentary, heel or face repeatedly blatantly state he's the best wrestler in the world. AJ is so good this has lead to Vince wanting him on Raw.

That screams of top guy material.

Ithil

His whole opinion of the crowd is the wrongest thing that has ever been wrong in pro wrestling.

They can boo me if they think it will make them cool with the guy sitting next to them, I'm gonna be me, boo or cheer, I don't care it's loud.

I'm paraphrasing there of course, but that's the extent and it's the dumbest thing I've heard since the last time I went down the Judge Judy rabbit hole on YouTube.

He's just regurgitating the WWE bullshit lines about that. Some guys follow that, others see right through it.

Anth0ny

Why spend 200 dollars for one night, when you can spend 400 for two!

WM Raw brand and WM SD brand?

I can see that, more ticket sales for WWE.

Pretty much!

Think about it, 5 years ago it was Mania, Axess and Hall of Fame. That's it. Did they even sell tickets to the public for HOF back then?

Now, it's fucking RADICALLY different. People don't come to Mania for Mania. They come to Mania for the Friday-Monday experience. You have NXT that weekend which is a super hot ticket. Raw after Mania is also this crazy show with debuts and the insanely hot crowd that takes over the show. There's Smackdown after Mania too now thanks to the brand split. They run these massive stadiums for Mania and sell out/come close to selling out before even announcing the card.

Who's to say the Mania weekend 5 years from now isn't radically different from how it's structured today? A 2 day Mania seems completely possible and a great way to keep pumping money out of your most hardcore fanbase. It's also a more watchable show for everyone at home, because fuck a 6+ hour card.

Seeing a person behind the camera doesn't make me enjoy the character more. It can make me stop watching a character I used to like due to the performer being a bad person, but I'll never like a character better only because I think the person behind it is nice.

I don't think your stance is irrational by any stretch of the imagination. Two things can be true: you can be a good person but shit at a job. It happens everywhere.

I think what cordy and I are at least open to is the fact that Reign's appeal may be out of his control. Mind you, he still has some very big issues around in-ring work, namely that he lacks the ability to think creatively on his feet without resorting to manpunch or undercut slap.

I think he was gonna go on a tangent about what he would have to do to be a traditional heel and kind of stopped himself. At this point it's kind of pointless. You already have nuclear heat where do you go from here?

Roman needs an opportunity to work more interesting stories AND to be himself. Then, if he falls flat on his ass, that's on him. He is TOO protected as it were and the audience fucking hates it.

Meltzer said he wouldn't be surprised if they just split Mania into two nights. 3 hour show each night so that people aren't burnt out by the 5th hour.

Now that WWE has basically made Mania into a 4 day event anyways with Hall of Fame, NXT, Mania and Raw after Mania (not to mention all the other shit happening at the same time), I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to milk the hardest of the hardcore even harder by making Mania a 2 night show.

You'd have to move the Hall of Fame to the afternoon (or NXT Takeover I guess)

cordy

Banned
I think some people don't like the fact that he is basically mocking fans for booing him.

"If that makes you look good in front of your friends go for it."

It's not exactly the same as Miz wanting fans to boo him or hate him. I think the guy still hasn't come to grips that some people literally hate him. Not as a character but as a person, even though, he is playing a character.

I don't hate him, but he does act with some sort of cognitive dissonance of why people boo. Almost Trump like. As long as he uses it to feed his character it can work.

They can be upset by that. With that said I wouldn't say that one comment is enough to trash themselves on him when almost all wrestlers do the same.
How is AJ not a top guy?
I said "their top guy" and by that I meant "The Guy" as in Reigns as in 1 guy since there's not more than 1. Yeah he's part of the upper tier of guys, I'm just talking about the 1 dude though.

Styles would be put behind all Shield guys if Vince had to choose between those 3 and Styles for "The Guy." He's basically similar to a Trips in the AA right now.
Vince just likes to pander that predictability.

Vince had people on here literally thinking Styles wasn't going to Raw.

Anth0ny

You'd have to move the Hall of Fame to the afternoon (or NXT Takeover I guess)

yeah hall of fame would be friday afternoon, takeover friday night. I don't think anyone would have a real problem with that if it means selling out another stadium show on the saturday night lol

cordy

Banned
Confused by that as well. I don't see how there can be any doubt that AJ was Smackdown's top guy. Given, its kind of by default since Cena is a part timer now.

Nah I just think that's something fans wanna believe because they like him the best but from a company hierarchy he's not SDL's lead guy. He's still seen behind Orton, Ambrose and Cena on the brand.

Anth0ny

I didn't get the chance to watch much of Raw live, so I'm watching the replay on Hulu.

Nia Jax has almost zero TV awareness when it comes to playing up to the camera. It's like she forgets that the hard camera exists. That, and her making a funny face to the camera during her entrance.............her character as a whole has zero direction at this point.

ebuZ7sDhZcSJO.gif

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I don't know what I think of this half step up trend that consoles are doing this generation....says the guy who just bought a PS4 Pro to replace a dying PS4.

Getting ready to do the same thing this afternoon with my ailing PS4. I hate the trend, but if I am upgrading, might as well get the good one.

Anth0ny

if scorpio has the best version of red dead 2, then i'll buy a scorpio

there's only like 5 kideo games that have that kind of power over me. rockstar stuff is one of them.

Kaladin

So, like, what the fuck do we actually know about Scorpio? I feel out of the loop

It sounds like what someone else said yesterday, Microsoft thinking the Pro is popular because it's more powerful, and now they've made an Xbox One that is the most powerful console on the market.

Kinda dumb to get hyped on just specs. But well. I am.

edit:Goldberg is good people.

I always remember this.

Goldberg is an incredible person...

He is said to have secretly (as he didn't want publicity) loaded up his car with toys and gone to a children's hospital one Christmas to give all the toys out to the kids.

It's so funny watching how different folks react to this. Goldberg is sentimental as all hell, X-Pac cuts a wrestling a promo and the guy at the end cuts a sermon... It's cute

Kaladin

Damnit pal, do you have the fatty or slim? I'm scared to even boot up my launch ps3.

My launch PS3 started to overheat and turn off. I cracked it open and tried to fix it but I botched something along the way and couldn't get it back together working.

I've since got a slim that shouldn't have that issue.

Also, my PS4 is having the same issue the launch PS3 did. But now the Pro (and the new Slim) has an easy access fan that you can just pop the top off and clean it.

Tom Nook

I just hope it's not immediate and we can get AJ vs Nakamura on Smackdown next week.

I can see a scenario where WWE announces that AJ will move to RAW, so the following day at SD, it will be AJ's last appereance. AJ cuts a promo "Thank you Smackdown fans.... etc. Before I go, I would Iike request a match..." Nakamura comes out. Fans pop big time. AJ, being a Heel. "Nah, ain't happening! Bye!" Leaves.

GunBR

With AJ on Raw, I just want to see Miz as the top heel of the brand, holding the WWE title for some months during the football season

Mahonay

Banned
Finally had time to watch Smackdown. Awesome show other than the boring main event that had an incredibly stupid ending.

Everyone was talking about Nakamura, but Tye Dillinger's debut felt a lot more impactful. It was pretty damn awesome.

Also that random Ambrose vs Corbin Street Fight match was actually pretty good!

Top Bottom