• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Mahonay

Banned
il_570xN.1185323739_eagx.jpg
Surrealism. Beautiful.

$40 seems like a steal. Hogan was appearing at a Vegas memorabilia shop a few years ago (the one Pete Rose frequents) and they wanted like $250 for a picture and autograph. I ended up just staring at him through the window like a mark.
Did I ever tell wrassleGAF I paid for a Pete Rose autograph at that place (I believe it's at Mandalay Bay) just so I could ask him "are you planning to get your revenge on Kane this year?"

Kaladin

Shoot :

WWE themes are GOAT when they use real bands and musicians. For example see Wyatt, Nakamura, Black and even Ohno.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
With Nakamura gone from NXT, who is likely to take the mantle as the "best male performer" on their roster? Ohno? Black? McIntyre? Almas? Itami? I am most interested in seeing how NXT builds Black up.

Also, who is typically viewed as the top "get" for NXT nowadays? Ricochet? Ospreay? Omega? Would Pentagon ever be a considerable hire for WWE?

With Nakamura gone from NXT, who is likely to take the mantle as the "best male performer" on their roster? Ohno? Black? McIntyre? Almas? Itami? I am most interested in seeing how NXT builds Black up.

Also, who is typically viewed as the top "get" for NXT nowadays? Ricochet? Ospreay? Omega? Would Pentagon ever be a considerable hire for WWE?

Black/End is going to be the next big NXT guy, no way around it

Whie WWE fans would lose their shit at a Ricochet, Ospreay, Omega and Pentagon signing all of those guys would suffer in WWE. No way around it.

Mahonay

Banned
He was a total trooper about it, too. He said it was taking so long because he couldn't find a San Diego Chicken outfit anywhere, which popped me big time.
Lol I like that he still remembers the specifics.

Sometimes I don't understand the logic behind Meltzer's ratings.

Neville vs Aries got 3.75 stars

Roman vs Taker got 3 stars

I feel like there's at least 2 stars separating the quality of those matches. Should be more like Neville/Aries 3.75 - Roman/Taker 1.75.

[b said:
Biggest-Geek-Ever[/b];233479210]Did I ever tell wrassleGAF I paid for a Pete Rose autograph at that place (I believe it's at Mandalay Bay) just so I could ask him "are you planning to get your revenge on Kane this year?"

The name is a dead giveaway.

Meanwhile,
scared20cornette_zpseqojf1oa.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so if I want to check out these heavy machinery guys, whats the best place? latest nxt ep?

Caspel

Black/End is going to be the next big NXT guy, no way around it

Whie WWE fans would lose their shit at a Ricochet, Ospreay, Omega and Pentagon signing all of those guys would suffer in WWE. No way around it.

If you believe they would suffer, who do you think could benefit? Someone like Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, Kenny King, Tama Tonga? Or older wrestlers that have done as much as they could in other promotions such as Frankie Kazarian, Bobby Fish, etc?

Mahonay

Banned
I don't remember anyone saying anything bad about Regal, as for Dreamer, that was a good bit.

EEE CEE DUB! EEE CEE DUB! EEE CEE DUB!
Guys like Regal and Dreamer are well known for looking out for guys that are being singled out or aren't getting a fair shake.

Mahonay

Banned
They to find a new music guy cause this is shit.
It actually hits a perfect spot in my heart with how cheesy it is. I was in the hardcore scene growing up so it's especially funny for me. Wrestling is dumb. Dumb themes like Aleister Black's theme fit in perfectly.

Watching it live, I didn't get the all the "this is embarrassing to watch" comments outside of that tombstone spot. It seemed like the storytelling mostly worked in the context of Undertaker is officially done + they're just not turning Reigns heel. I'll give it a watch on the network this weekend.

Neville/Aries I thought was at least 4 stars and the best match Aries has done in years.

BTW, I really like this idea from Dave
The reality is that WrestleMania really does at some point, probably soon, need to become a two-day affair. If you look two or three years down the line, the company will have far more talent than it does now. There are choices, marathon shows that get mixed reviews and cause casual fans to tap out so you only serve the hardcore audience, or rush matches, which get the talent and hardcore fans mad or you cut down on the number of matches and bench talented performers or just do larger Battle Royals which marginalized more of the talent and make them come across as not special. Let's face it, the Smackdown tag champs and top challengers were the perfect example of guys whose star power took a hit by being nobodies in a Battle Royal. And there are more guys of that level on the way to the main roster by 2020.

Or you can do two three-and-a-half hour shows on successive days. The audience is there that would pack stadiums two straight nights. You'd probably have to cut the individual ticket prices down, but the combined ticket prices of the two nights can be higher than the current single night price. Granted that means the Hall of Fame or NXT has to run on Thursday, but it also brings fans in one day earlier so it becomes more valuable to the local market as far tourism dollars and the overall event itself.

If you believe they would suffer, who do you think could benefit? Someone like Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, Kenny King, Tama Tonga? Or older wrestlers that have done as much as they could in other promotions such as Frankie Kazarian, Bobby Fish, etc?

Ospreay and Ricochet could not match up with 90% of the roster, except for a few guys on 205

Pentagon and Omega have gotten to where they are by having the freedom to do what they want as their own thing. Omega might work in WWE, but he'd really need to have freedom to do his thing.

Cole, Lethal are boring and generic CAW type people.

Tonga is doing fine in NJPW and if he comes over will be forced into another Samoan CAW

I don't know why there has to be this WHO SHOULD THEY GET thing. There is so much damn talent on that roster (especially combined with NXT). It's so deep and there is so much potential there.

It actually hits a perfect spot in my heart with how cheesy it is. I was in the hardcore scene growing up so it's especially funny for me. Wrestling is dumb. Dumb themes like Aleister Black's theme fit in perfectly.

Yep. My immediate thought on hearing this was "Hardcore and wrestling has finally converged". That said Incendiary is not from the corny mold, at least for me, as there are way cornier hardcore bands now with generic as A-B-A-B-C-B sequences of moshing.

Caspel

I don't know why there has to be this WHO SHOULD THEY GET thing. There is so much damn talent on that roster (especially combined with NXT). It's so deep and there is so much potential there.

Yep. My immediate thought on hearing this was "Hardcore and wrestling has finally converged". That said Incendiary is not from the corny mold, at least for me, as there are way cornier hardcore bands now with generic as A-B-A-B-C-B sequences of moshing.

Not implying that there is a "Who should they get" but more implying "they are going to get more, so who are they likely to chase and who are fits?"

Zach

Lester Black's theme is fine. He looks like a goof trying to be a tough guy anyway, so it works.

And I like that multi-day WrestleMania idea, compared to seven-hour shows.

Kaladin

Jonathan Gresham has accomplished more before the age of 30 than most achieve in their career. The Atlanta, GA native first appeared on Ring of Honor Wrestling in the 2011 Top Prospect Tournament and since then has wrestled in 12 countries in four continents, proving to be one of the premier technical wrestlers in the world.

It is with great excitement that Ring of Honor Wrestling announces that Jonathan Gresham has officially signed a full-time contract and will be in action in Baltimore this Saturday, April 8!

Gresham has competed in ROH on a freelance basis, picking up wins in singles and tag team competition in between his extensive international travel schedule. With a repitoire of hundreds of submission moves, including his patented Octopus Stretch, Gresham has the ability to defeat opponents of any size or experience level.

At age 29 with a decade of experience under his belt, Gresham is already one of the planet's best grapplers with even greater potential. Gresham has impressed ROH fans so much in his appearances that he has been one of the most in-demand stars for fans of the Best Wrestling on the Planet.

Jonathan Gresham signed with ROH

ReiGun

listening to clips from that Jericho Reigns podcast...

you know how everyone hated Cena but then we realized "hey he's actually a really cool guy outside the ring"?

Reigns is like the exact opposite, he sounds like the biggest piece of shit douchebag in the world
The bits with him talking about his family and growing up with the Usos were cool. When it came time to talk about the business and such, yeah. Huge dick.

klonere

Banned
Song is fine for the first 2 minutes but then it just loops and goes absolutely nowhere.

Like the vast majority of CFO$ songs but I'm pretty sure they are designed to be that way

Kaladin

Song is fine for the first 2 minutes but then it just loops and goes absolutely nowhere.

Like the vast majority of CFO$ songs but I'm pretty sure they are designed to be that way

That's why the Wyatt theme is the best on the roster, doesn't really loop and has an actual solo and shit.

Mahonay

Banned
Things like Aleister Black's entrance and song is what I want out of WWE production. Over the top, and at least somewhat creative, nonsense.

WWE has been plagued with middling and lifeless themes, stories, gimmicks, whatever. Just mediocre bullshit that is completely out of touch.

I don't know how anyone can complain when something like Aleister Black comes along, considering the previous typical output from WWE.

I came back to post this since I saw "The Alley Cat™" (main roster nickname because Vince is out of his mind) Aliester Black Twittered it, I was late.

I wish this dude had a deeper voice though and maybe was more black metal than hardcore, this is another WWE song with a dude who people will think is Zack de la Rocha singing. Still way better than most CFO$'s themes that are like 90 second loops.

Mahonay

Banned
I came back to post this since I saw "The Alley Cat™" (main roster nickname because Vince is out of his mind) Aliester Black Twittered it, I was late.

I wish this dude had a deeper voice though and maybe was more black metal than hardcore, this is another WWE song with a dude who people will think is Zack de la Rocha singing.
So you want Baron Corbin.

Bronx-Man

Banned
You're overestimating Sami.

Not going into the WWE as El Generico was the best thing to happen to him even if some people disagree with that.
Generico was shot over in Tijuana.

God rest his soul.

Guess who

Zk7rVIE.png
Jinder's reaching Steiner levels of juice, jesus.

I don't even listen to metal like that but this rules.

Fuck this company and fuuuuuuuuuuuuck JBL.

Top Bottom