• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

WWE missed an opportunity to have Taker pass the tombstone onto Braun because if there's anyone on the roster that should have that move now, it's him. With Taker gone and Kane probably not far behind, is the move just going to cease to exist? Strowman has improved a lot but his moveset mostly sucks; the running powerslam and reverse chokeslam just aren't good.

His first finisher was so good. The Canadian Backbreaker flip slam thing.

You bastards gonna stop telling me to shut up.

You, ball Mahonay, sf, pikma, and the rest of you marks can get in a line for this ass beating.

On another not I never noticed how much of a villain I look with my hair cut. But with long hair I looked like a puss. A good guy. But I felt the opposite.

You, ball Mahonay, sf, pikma, and the rest of you marks can get in a line for this ass beating.

On another not I never noticed how much of a villain I look with my hair cut. But with long hair I looked like a puss. A good guy. But I felt the opposite.
Blue, you still look like a chump.

Take a 10

*rolls you up. 123. Take that sucka

*rolls you up. 123. Take that sucka

eCTRYa.gif

Syder

His first finisher was so good. The Canadian Backbreaker flip slam thing.
There's a few things about Strowman I'd change but otherwise he has the potential to be one of the best Giant Wrassle Men in history. Right now, he's salvageable but they need to be careful they don't completely ruin him, he should win the second part of this feud with Roman and look strong against Brock.

There's a few things about Strowman I'd change but otherwise he has the potential to be one of the best Giant Wrassle Men in history. Right now, he's salvageable but they need to be careful they don't completely ruin him, he should win the second part of this feud with Roman and look strong against Brock.

Yep... he'll lose to Roman though because they want Roman to be a beast for the Lesnar match. Beast vs beast...

Syder

It is a good story though. Lesnar and Roman also love just beating the shit out of each other. It'll be fun.

It's just unfortunate that there will be collateral damage
I just don't see Roman, in kayfabe, anywhere close to Brock's level still. If Strowman were still undefeated (and not scared of Taker/Roman for no reason), a potential feud with Brock would've been lit as fuck.

I just don't see Roman, in kayfabe, anywhere close to Brock's level still. If Strowman were still undefeated (and not scared of Taker/Roman for no reason), a potential feud with Brock would've been lit as fuck.

Oh I agree but I really did enjoy Brock vs Roman at 31. It's the one situation where the stupid monster babyface as undergo match booking works.

cordy

Banned
Someone on Wreddit made a great comment on Reigns.
We all remember that asshole in school right? The one that's super popular, that gets invited to every party, that all the girls want to be with, and all the guys want to be him. The school loves him because he's the star player of the sports team and so they never miss an opportunity to sing his praises. However, he's a huge asshole. He bullies the weaker guys and asserts his dominance on campus. He's arrogant, conceited and mean. Everything that we were told that we shouldn't be in order to get people to like you.

If you were anything like me in school in terms of nerdom, and let's face it most wrestling fans fall into this category, we hated the fact that people who acted like this were revered and treated as a heroes anywhere they went, despite being the complete opposite in reality. It made us bitter and angry. This is the character I believe that Roman Reigns is. Casual fans love him because he's the kayfabe super talented good looking guy about the place. Us hardcore fans hate him because he represents everything that a good guy or face shouldn't, he's arrogant, he picks on our favourites, he wins all the time, and we're jealous that everyone loves this asshole for some reason. Why doesn't the school, i.e Vince, love Sami Zayn, the ultimate good guy who's nice to everybody and gets amazing grades ahead of this jerk?

Listening to the TIJ podcast with Roman cemented this theory for me. Roman is just naturally a cocky guy, he's good looking and he knows it. He used to call himself the guy that would walk around and he would assume that people thought he was famous because of how he looked. Most hardcore wrestling fans have be hardwired from their youth to despise this type of person.

What makes this a genius character is that it's the very people who claim to be so smart about the business that it sucks in. How dare they push Roman! Everything about him sucks! But the thing is, Roman does not suck. He's great at the little things in the ring, the facial expressions, the selling. He won't do flippy shit but he's great at what he does. The amount of 3/4* matches Roman has had verifies this. But his mic work sucks doesn't it? Sure but so does Cesaro's yet the hardcore fans love him.

Roman doesn't need to talk or make the effort to entertain people like that, just like on Monday, he has the presence and the look that makes people love or hate him, just like that super jock in school. Casuals and girls will buy his merch, and the hardcore fans will make sure he gets a reaction. It's the best character in a long long time that has really brought kayfabe back into 21st century wrestling in my opinion.

Apologies for the long post, I love delving deep into wrestling characters.

TL;DR Roman is the asshole jock in school that everyone loves and nerds get bitter over so hardcore fans boo him and everyone else loves him.

I mostly agree. Makes sense to me.

cordy

Banned
Cordy, that's too much to read about boreman.

Pretty much it said

"TL;DR Roman is the asshole jock in school that everyone loves and nerds get bitter over so hardcore fans boo him and everyone else loves him."

It also used comparisons to guys people love like Cesaro (who have shitty mic skills and yet he's loved in the ring and Roman's put on good matches) and other comments.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Someone on Wreddit made a great comment on Reigns.

I mostly agree. Makes sense to me.

why do people keep saying this? this is not the problem. The problem is that, whats written there is all true, but WWE doesnt book him like that. They book him like the babyface against the big bad heels.

Most people dont hate Roman, they hate his booking. Everything written in that text is written for a heel. But he's not a heel, he's a face. And dont give me the "people boo him so he's a heel" line, if thats true, then book him as a heel against faces.

But they wont.

Pretty much it said

"TL;DR Roman is the asshole jock in school that everyone loves and nerds get bitter over so hardcore fans boo him and everyone else loves him."

It also used comparisons to guys people love like Cesaro (who have shitty mic skills and yet he's loved in the ring and Roman's put on good matches) and other comments.
Everyone loves him? The fuuuuck.

cordy

Banned
why do people keep saying this? this is not the problem. The problem is that, whats written there is all true, but WWE doesnt book him like that. They book him like the babyface against the big bad heels.

Most people dont hate Roman, they hate his booking. Everything written in that text is written for a heel. But he's not a heel, he's a face. And dont give me the "people boo him so he's a heel" line, if thats true, then book him as a heel against faces.

But they wont.
The issue is most people just don't know the guy so what they see on tv is what they assume is in real life. That's the point of the article. Like you said, what's written there is all true. They book him to be like that way which people dislike.

Also what part of the text is written for a heel? If you mean this part
Roman is just naturally a cocky guy, he's good looking and he knows it. He used to call himself the guy that would walk around and he would assume that people thought he was famous because of how he looked. Most hardcore wrestling fans have be hardwired from their youth to despise this type of person.
You can find that same quality in many face wrestlers. Are you saying they shouldn't be saying it? To the quote, the person who wrote it is wrong on some portion. Reigns actually said people thought he was famous based on how he looked, he didn't say he thought he was that guy it's just how it was with him.
Roman is super popular?
And this werid meta booking that only applies to Roman is pretty werid.
Everyone whose loves him? The fuuuuck.

Away from the camera he's one of the most popular guys backstage and is a real leader according to the interviews/podcasts. All the wrestlers, officials, legends, people backstage, interviews, the "everyone who loves him" comment comes from everyone who's not only a fan who only sees him when they watch the screen. That's what the comparison of "jock who everyone loves except the nerds" comes from and by the "nerds" they mean the traditional wrestling fan. It's also why when you see Reigns beating Taker if you check everywhere you have all the wrestlers heavily approve of it even though they appreciate Taker as a legend. I haven't heard anyone besides a fan say they didn't want Reigns beat Taker and it's because Reigns and his popularity from a people aspect.

Fans are a different story because the guy they see is what they know of. It's no different than fans assuming a character on tv is the same as they are in real life. Happens with most wrestlers. Everyone else though outside of fans has insane praise for him. There was a report from legends in the business saying "I wouldn't mind putting that guy over" years ago before his push even started due to how he is backstage.

Basically to everyone who's not a fan Reigns is, to my knowledge, one of the most liked WWE superstars in an all-around area that I've seen a least a decade. Not even Bryan's received this much praise from people backstage even though he was liked.

Mahonay

Banned
Weird how "everyone else" loves Roman yet somehow is still booed at every city he goes to.

Roman's writing is trash and is 1000 percent overpushed in ways that it hurts the rest of the show. My problem is not with him personally.

ReiGun

Roman is super popular?
And this werid meta booking that only applies to Roman is pretty werid.

That's my problem with it. I could totally buy into this idea of this meta-heel if it were seen anywhere else in the product. Most of WWE is still booked using the traditional face/heel dynamic. So when you have Roman, who most would just called a failed babyface, being used as this example of Vince playing 4D chess to work the smarks and create a mega star, it rings a little hollow.

Hex

Banned
Weird how "everyone else" loves Roman yet somehow is still booed at every city he goes to.

Roman's writing is trash and is 1000 percent overpushed in ways that it hurts the rest of the show. My problem is not with him personally.

Well to be honest, look at Cena.
It has now become part of the gimmick, hell look at Angle now.

cordy

Banned

?

"Everyone else" isn't the fans that boo him, they don't fit in that category of "everyone else." What are you trying to say lol?

Everyone else = other wrestlers, backstage personnel, officials, legends, former wrestlers, stage crew, catering, basically everyone who isn't just a fan

Heroman

Banned
You can find that same quality in many face wrestlers. Are you saying they shouldn't be saying it? To the quote, the person who wrote it is wrong on some portion. Reigns actually said people thought he was famous based on how he looked, he didn't say he thought he was that guy it's just how it was with him.

Away from the camera he's one of the most popular guys backstage and is a real leader according to the interviews/podcasts. All the wrestlers, officials, legends, people backstage, interviews, the "everyone who loves him" comment comes from everyone who's not only a fan who only sees him when they watch the screen. That's what the comparison of "jock who everyone loves except the nerds" comes from and by the "nerds" they mean the traditional wrestling fan. It's also why when you see Reigns beating Taker if you check everywhere you have all the wrestlers heavily approve of it even though they appreciate Taker as a legend. I haven't heard anyone besides a fan say they didn't want Reigns beat Taker and it's because Reigns and his popularity from a people aspect.

Fans are a different story because the guy they see is what they know of. It's no different than fans assuming a character on tv is the same as they are in real life. Happens with most wrestlers. Everyone else though outside of fans has insane praise for him. There was a report from legends in the business saying "I wouldn't mind putting that guy over" years ago before his push even started due to how he is backstage.

Basically to everyone who's not a fan Reigns is, to my knowledge, one of the most liked WWE superstars in an all-around area that I've seen a least a decade. Not even Bryan's received this much praise from people backstage even though he was liked.
No one is going to talk shit on the big dawg if they want to not do the job or worse not in this era. And im sure there are plenty of people who hate the idea that the big dawg retired the dead men. And there has been legends who had voice their disdain for Roman.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cena has largely climbed the hill in that unless he is actually fighting someone more popular than him...which is pretty much just AJ these days, then the boos are mostly ceremonial.

Mahonay

Banned
?

"Everyone else" isn't the fans that boo him, they don't fit in that category of "everyone else." What are you trying to say lol?

Everyone else = other wrestlers, backstage personnel, officials, legends, former wrestlers, stage crew, catering, basically everyone who isn't just a fan
OK my bad I'm an idiot.

This is what happens when you try to sneak in GAF time when the girlfiend isn't looking and just skim things.

cordy

Banned
No one is going to talk shit on the big dawg if they want to not do the job or worse not in this era. And im sure there are plenty of people who hate the idea that the big dawg retired the dead men. And there has been legends who had voice their disdain for Roman.

What legends have said they dislike Reigns?

What wrestlers have said they dislike Reigns besides Punk? All I hear are guys saying they dislike his push. Even Ryback said he loved Reigns as a person. It's just about his push which I think everyone (besides Vince it seems) agrees on.

There's also a difference between keeping silent on Reigns retiring Taker and straight up liking WWE posts on Reigns retiring him approving it which we've seen people actually do. You can keep quiet about it or voice your comments on it. Just go to the WWE IG with the "Reigns retired Taker" pic after the match and see who in the company liked it. They approve of it being Reigns.
OK my bad I'm an idiot.

This is what happens when you try to sneak in GAF time when the girlfiend isn't looking and just skim things.

You've already won my friend, everyone can attest to that.

Top Bottom