• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

I love how that JBL tweet where he says he didn't steal Justin's passport reads like some shit you would see in a Phoenix Wright game.

"I didn't steal his passport!"
*OBJECTION*
"Justin never named anyone in his autobiography when talking about the incident. So why do YOU know about it!?"

ReiGun

Again, why is Sami always the dude who catches a stray when Roman comes up? It's not even like he has a Daniel Bryan level ground swell of support, or that people believe he's being overlooked for Roman. Most of what I see relating to Sami nowadays amounts to "Yo, can y'all, like....give him something to do? Maybe job him out a little less?" People are not so pressed over Sami that he needs to be held up as some kind of anti-Roman.

Syder

Again, why is Sami always the dude who catches a stray when Roman comes up? It's not even like he has a Daniel Bryan level ground swell of support, or that people believe he's being overlooked for Roman. Most of what I see relating to Sami nowadays amounts to "Yo, can y'all, like....give him something to do? Maybe job him out a little less?" People are not so pressed over Sami that he needs to be held up as some kind of anti-Roman.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Can people not make an argument for why Roman is good without bringing down other wrestlers?

The Anti-Roman is Finn Bálor. If he stays injury free, he's taking that spot.

Probably because he's a geek

cordy

Banned

There was a rumor that came out last year saying that they were trying to replicate Bryan's rise with Zayn hence why he's booked that way and idk if it was ever confirmed but that rumor spread around. Who knows if it's real but that's why Zayn's name is always brought up. People bought into the rumors.

Then you also get into the fact that Meltz confirmed that Zayn's "geeky awkward weird talking" thing they do with him is a rib towards how he really is so...yeah.

ReiGun

Yeah, I don't get it either. Can people not make an argument for why Roman is good without bringing down other wrestlers?

The Anti-Roman is Finn Bálor. If he stays injury free, he's taking that spot.
I feel like Sami is just an easy target because he comes across as that stereotypical "indie darling" people like to rag on when defending Roman.

And yes, Balor is coming to take Roman's spot. If he can maintain this momentum until at least Summerslam, it might be a wrap.

There was a rumor that came out last year saying that they were trying to replicate Bryan's rise with Zayn hence why he's booked that way and idk if it was ever confirmed but that rumor spread around. Who knows if it's real but that's why Zayn's name is always brought up. People bought into the rumors.

Then you also get into the fact that Meltz confirmed that Zayn's "geeky awkward weird talking" thing they do with him is a rib towards how he really is so...yeah.
Okay but I don't see how that relates to Roman. People feel Sami is under utilized, sure; most anyone with eyes for talent would agree. I could even see the logic in them trying to recreate D Bry because Sami is basically the second coming of Bryan in appeal and style.

But whenever Roman comes up, Sami gets held up as this guy the hardcore fans are choosing or would choose and that's not really what's happening. Sure there are your Sami super fans, but if you look around at who the hardcore are backing, Sami's name doesn't come up like that. It's guys like Shinsuke, Balor, Samoa Joe, hell even The Miz that have people's attention. Sami is just like, "Can he at least get a US title run? I mean, got damn!"

cordy

Banned
Okay but I don't see how that relates to Roman. People feel Sami is under utilized, sure; most anyone with eyes for talent would agree. I could even see the logic in them trying to recreate D Bry because Sami is basically the second coming of Bryan in appeal and style.

But whenever Roman comes up, Sami gets held up as this guy the hardcore fans are choosing or would choose and that's not really what's happening. Sure there are your Sami super fans, but if you look around at who the hardcore are backing, Sami's name doesn't come up like that. It's guys like Shinsuke, Balor, Samoa Joe, hell even The Miz that have people's attention. Sami is just like, "Can he at least get a US title run? I mean, got damn!"

Yeah I feel you, that's true I just didn't think about it until I thought about it. It's always "can Zayn get a midcard title" and very little have I seen anyone say "ok give him a world title", interesting.
Why doesn't Dolph Ziggler get sustained title run. It seems like he comes and goes...

I don't think you want what you just said.

ReiGun

Yeah I feel you, that's true I just didn't think about it until I thought about it. It's always "can Zayn get a midcard title" and very little have I seen anyone say "ok give him a world title", interesting.

I don't think you want what you just said.

Even when saying why he should move to Smackdown, it's usually so that he can help the midcard there, not the main event scene. Most hardcore fans seem to accept that Sami has a ceiling.

I'll even speak personally as someone who thinks Sami Zayn is one of the best guys on the roster right now; I will be perfectly fine if he never wins the WWE or Universial title. I just want dude to be given something meaty to do and allowed to showcase his talents as more than just a jobber to main eventers or filler matches on Raw.

cordy

Banned
Even when saying why he should move to Smackdown, it's usually so that he can help the midcard there, not the main event scene. Most hardcore fans seem to accept that Sami has a ceiling.

I'll even speak personally as someone who thinks Sami Zayn is one of the best guys on the roster right now; I will be perfectly fine if he never wins the WWE or Universial title. I just want dude to be given something meaty to do and allowed to showcase his talents as more than just a jobber to main eventers or filler matches on Raw.

I personally would be ok with Zayn at least got a world title program even if he never wins it. He doesn't need the world title to be great. He'll be fine but either way it's not like the guy's one of the stars being majorly held back. He debuted against Cena and almost won, he (for some reason) got in a #1 contender's match for Roman's title last year after WM, hell he got it twice since it happened again a week after, this long continuous feud with Owens even resulting in Zayn beating him which was shocking to me, he was in the MITB match last year, this long feud with Strowman who's a future world champion and a guy seen in scenes with Reigns, Taker and Lesnar, I mean he's only regularly been back for maybe 1 year since his injury.

Zayn is getting a lot of opportunities right now. If this keeps going on even if he doesn't need it he'll eventually be a world champion. He will get better storylines as the time goes on.

Out of all the guys people want to eventually become world champion, Zayn's probably the least one I'm worried about from an "ok he's not pushed like I want him to be" perspective.

tumblr_inline_ob3to2phMK1rg2h6f_500.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just saw Matt talk to a giraffe.

I dont know what to say.

Mojo Rawley won the Battle Royal.

that was entirely because he was friends with Gronkowski prolly.

which is weird. you'd think they would have some other celebrities willing to do some quick segment for wrestlemania on hand. rather than just hand the battle royale over to somebody for that little cameo.

ReiGun

Absolutely. And then have him squash Lesnar for the title before retiring Taker.

OWN IT
That would have at least been funny for the reactions. No one is checking for Randy Orton in 2017.

I personally would be ok with Zayn at least got a world title program even if he never wins it. He doesn't need the world title to be great. He'll be fine but either way it's not like the guy's one of the stars being majorly held back. He debuted against Cena and almost won, he (for some reason) got in a #1 contender's match for Roman's title last year after WM, hell he got it twice since it happened again a week after, this long continuous feud with Owens even resulting in Zayn beating him which was shocking to me, he was in the MITB match last year, this long feud with Strowman who's a future world champion and a guy seen in scenes with Reigns, Taker and Lesnar, I mean he's only regularly been back for maybe 1 year since his injury.

Zayn is getting a lot of opportunities right now. If this keeps going on even if he doesn't need it he'll eventually be a world champion. He will get better storylines as the time goes on.

Out of all the guys people want to eventually become world champion, Zayn's probably the least one I'm worried about from an "ok he's not pushed like I want him to be" perspective.
I don't know. Sami isn't irrelevant, but I don't feel like he has any momentum. Everything with him is so scattershot - they even had him say on air that he has no direction - and post brand split he's mostly been used to get other guys over or fill time. Take last Monday. It's the Raw after Mania, one of the biggest shows of the year, and Sami Zayn has a go nowhere match with Jinder Mahaal. Before that, he was in the ARMBAR and lost. Before that, he was catching the beats from Samoa Joe, which again, is him getting someone else over. The biggest thing he's done was the feud with Braun, and that completely fell apart at the end.

He needs a good program with someone who is not Kevin Owens, something that gets people into him again. Doesn't even have to be a title run.

yeah I think he's too talented to just let waste away. nobody is really into him but that's bookings problem more than anything right now.

speaking of no momentum...are people feeling samoa joe? seems like the crowd can give no fucks when he comes out. which is the opposite intended effect of having somebody like him be the big enforcer for HHH. dude's debut on RAW has been a non-starter.

that was entirely because he was friends with Gronkowski prolly.

which is weird. you'd think they would have some other celebrities willing to do some quick segment for wrestlemania on hand. rather than just hand the battle royale over to somebody for that little cameo.
Yeah felt really rushed, was the Big Show thing meant to be part of the Battle Royale or a singles match?

Shows how far off the grid they've fallen I guess.

I continually forget they already did a Owens/Zayn feud on the main roster. Went for ages too but never really got hot.

Also still shits me the Rollins/Ambrose blood feud got bumped for Wyatt/Ambrose which was awful.

Dunno if anyone posted this, but Meltz wrote this on his forum following his article on JBL/Mauro in this weeks observer:

I have gotten texts and DM's as well as spoken personally to 15 different Justin Roberts who all contacted me after the article I wrote.

Justin was the only one without any interest in going back who would speak publicily. The rest were just thanking me because they went through the same thing.

It's way worse and well known that I had imagined.

Only one of them knew Mauro, only their own experiences.

Pikma

Banned
There's DDT show going right now, it is pretty damn fun so far

More people should sub to DDTUniverse.com
they give you the first month for free and all.

Dunno if anyone posted this, but Meltz wrote this on his forum following his article on JBL/Mauro in this weeks observer:

I have gotten texts and DM's as well as spoken personally to 15 different Justin Roberts who all contacted me after the article I wrote.

Justin was the only one without any interest in going back who would speak publicily. The rest were just thanking me because they went through the same thing.

It's way worse and well known that I had imagined.

Only one of them knew Mauro, only their own experiences.
Nothing will happen to JBL unless they go on the record sadly :(

There's DDT show going right now, it is pretty damn fun so far

More people should sub to DDTUniverse.com
they give you the first month for free and all.

I did when they first started, but their site was such a mess to navigate. Have they changed it at all?

Nothing will happen to JBL unless they go on the record sadly :(

Not even then, it has to be picked up by mainstream media.

Vince always needs to be shamed into doing the right thing.

Pikma

Banned
I did when they first started, but their site was such a mess to navigate. Have they changed it at all?

Not even then, it has to be picked up by mainstream media.

Vince always needs to be shamed into doing the right thing.
It's still kinda complicated at first but it's fine once you figure it out lol

FloSlam peeps

Evolve 82 and 83 look freaking amazing:

EVOLVE 82 – April 22nd – Queens, NY
* ACH vs. Austin Theory
* Kyle O'Reilly vs. Keith Lee
* Non-Title Match: EVOLVE Champion Zack Sabre Jr vs. Drew Galloway
* WWN Title Match: WWN Champion Matt Riddle vs. Timothy Thatcher
* EVOLVE Tag Team Title Match: Champions Tracy Williams & Fred Yehi vs. Chris Dickinson & Jaka

Drew is being allowed by WWE to finish out his dates so ZSJ and Galloway will happen and then omg KOR vs Keith Lee

EVOLVE 83 – April 23rd – Brooklyn, NY
* Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Lio Rush
* Kyle O'Reilly vs. Fred Yehi
* Timothy Thatcher vs. Keith Lee
* I Quit Match: WWN Champion Matt Riddle vs. Drew Galloway
Galloway finishing his rivlary with Riddle should be great and KOR vs Yehi should be nuts

84 in May has KOR vs Riddle confirmed as well... Good stuff.

I think I'm going to keep my FLoSlam subscription running while I can afford it because Evolve makes it almost worth on its own.

"I've been getting that question a lot, let me tell you. No, there won't be [any children]," Bella told TMZ Sports. "John doesn't want kids, so we're not going to have kids."

It's amazing how much of Miz's work during the Cena feud was just actually taking real life and putting it through the filter of a mean wrestling promo.

Is this making tape?

C81DZyLWAAMffLx.jpg

Yeah, all 3 shows that weekend will be up on their Vimeo - the only match that might be missing is the British Strong Style vs The Elite tag, though.

I feel like I havent heard the name Colt Cabana in over a year.

Did the dude take some time off or something?

Nah, Colt's still at it. While I wouldn't say he's hugely in demand or anything, he does get booked all over the place - this year he's worked a bunch of US indies, done a tour of the UK, returned to ROH and made his debut for DDT. Also, he used to get a lot of attention for his podcast when he was the only one in the game, now there's a ton of other podcasts doing the same thing.

On that Naomi sucking talk several pages back... You know at least she remembered to move Alexa into position before the split legged moonsault that got interrupted. That's an improvement at least. *shrug* I really do wish she'd find some better offense though instead of adding yet another stupid looking move to her repertoire of stupid looking moves.

Top Bottom