• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

C9GiNsZXUAEwL2J.jpg

jurgen

That's been the King all his career. Why are you surprised?

He was saying much worse stuff at his peak alongside JR. But that doesn't take away he's the third best heel commentator in history.

Yeah, Attitude Era King was great. He totally fit that time.

“Prince Albert respects the Big Boss Man so much he’d give him the hair off his back.” still makes me laugh.

Anth0ny

Waiting for Nigel to get called up to the main roster so we can hear Regal-logic of move explanations again.

Catching up on NJPW from last night.

Holy shit at this Okada/Shibata match. Okada is having one of the best years I've ever seen a wrestler have.

Dave said he's approaching Flair in 89 tier... and it's APRIL.

"I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!" This just keeps going!

Edit: Laughing so hard at him TIPPING THE FUCKING AMBULANCE OVER. What an amazing segment.

That whole Braun/Roman segment was amazing on so many levels.

My favorite part was the crowd chanting "You deserve it" as Roman was being taken away on a stretcher.

I just watched the greatest segment in wrestling history. It's all been worth it Roman, just for that.

"I'm not finished with you!"

I about died lol.

Stider

What they should do is send Owens to SD and have Steve Corino switch from being a trainer to announcer. JBL then starts something with Corino, KO interferes and takes out JBL. Wins all around.

Yes I know it will never happen, but I can dream right?

painey

Strowman kept coming back like when I put leftover pizza in the fridge thinking im done with it, and then 2 minutes later im like "fuck it, one more slice"

jurgen

Fuuuuuck I didn't think that head landing was so bad. Even Nia knew she fucked up. If I was Charlotte I wouldn't have even attempted that moonsault.

You know that a very drunk Ric Flair is probably talking to Vince about this late into the night.

RIP Nia's push.

So if that's Seth's new finisher, I like it a lot more than the Pedigree.

I think he should just go to the "God's Last Gift" small package driver he's used in the past. It's rare that he's used it and it sets him up for the pin immediately.

But sure... keep telling us about your knee, Seth. Can't wait for the long winded promos about how strong you are because you overcame and use it in a finisher now.

I skimmed over raw as I had to go to work. Seemed like a lame show other then the roman annihilation unless I missed something.

sad to see miz on raw, but happy to not see Aj.

Anth0ny

Fuck, I can see it. His matches with Omega, Tanahashi, and Suzuki have all been so different and so damn good.

I missed it, but apparently he also had an incredible match with Tiger Mask W in March as well. Gotta check that one out.

4 MOTY contenders in 4 months. Fuck.

Recall

You know that a very drunk Ric Flair is probably talking to Vince about this late into the night.

RIP Nia's push.

I think he should just go to the "God's Last Gift" small package driver he's used in the past. It's rare that he's used it and it sets him up for the pin immediately.

But sure... keep telling us about your knee, Seth. Can't wait for the long winded promos about how strong you are because you overcame and use it in a finisher now.

WWE finishers are moves that can be hit on anyone regardless of opponent size.

AJ has a forearm. He doesn't have to lift and drop.

Zayn has a running kick.

There are elbows and knees everywhere. Spears and strikes and then the submissions and flips. Moves that can be done on anyone in any match. An Indy sit out head drop flip driver bomb works with 205 crew but a main eventer does a move that's more direct. It's the current WWE way.

Jamie OD

I think Balor is Smackdown bound. Raw's face side is filling up with all 3 of The Shield now on the same show while Smackdown has just Orton and Shinsuke while Cena goes absent for the time being. Unless AJ is properly turning face or Ziggler gets the summer push there is space there for a third major face. I think Enzo & Cass are moving over too. They have nothing going on in Raw right now.

I missed it, but apparently he also had an incredible match with Tiger Mask W in March as well. Gotta check that one out.

4 MOTY contenders in 4 months. Fuck.

The way the match built and finished with Tiger Mask W was fucking insane.

Very brutal match. Cant imagine how Okada's body must feel.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Rewatching the Strowman segment and you can see all the ways in which they staged it. It's easy to see the edit before he grabs the stretcher. Roman's clearly not on it when he pushes it off the loading dock. Not to mention the stretcher is at a totally different angle when it lands as opposed to when they're tending to Roman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTOH9jhbOg

Even seeing thru all the carny bullshit, this is honestly one of my favorite wrestling segments, maybe of all time. So I guess in the end Vince wins.

Teeth

He's not doing God's Last Gift in WWE because he isn't able to do it against the bigger sized opponents (it's basically a requirement that you have to be able to do your finisher on any possible opponent).

It's the same reason AJ switched his finisher from the Styles Clash to the Phenomenal Forearm and why Finn Balor switched his finisher from the Bloody Sunday to the Coup de Grace.

All three guys are "small" in the WWE, so the slam finishers become rare sub-finishers they use against the smaller guys in big matches and the strike finishers become their mainstays.

I'm assuming Seth doesn't start using the Phoenix Splash as his new finisher because it's too taxing on his body to be doing all the time. I just wish he could go back to using the Curb Stomp and just call it the Black Out again. It was a badass finisher.

The Rainmaker and this new knee thing are fucking terrible finishers. They are sub-transition moves. Might as well make chop your finisher.

EDIT - beaten while typing.

Wow Raw was really really boring...

On a night dedicated to Superstar shakeups, not a single one of the arrivals really came off as special, Bliss was closest until James showed up and then it became another Nia Jax segment.

Wyatt is DOA on Raw

Miz is also basically DOA too

I mean unless Lesnar goes to Smackdown and Wyatt wins the WWE title at Payback and the WWE title becomes the default title for Raw there's zero room on Raw for guys like Wyatt and Miz to even sniff the main event.

Bliss was the best debut but it lasted all of 45 seconds before for no logical reason they decided that the tedious Bliss/Mickie James stuff should continue.

For what was supposed to feel like a freshening up was exactly the opposite. Miz debuted alongside Ambrose so that stuff carries over from Smackdown. Ambrose pinning Owens clean in a barely built up match does nothing for Ambrose and makes Owens look lame.

Bad Raw all around. Dull as fuck except for the 5 minutes of Strowman's magnificent beatdown of Reigns and that 45 seconds of Alexa Bliss, who got a nice pop (dug the I don't need your support line to the cheering crowd), Bliss is going to talk circles around the Raw women's division.

I giggled when Strowman just kept spawning out of nowhere every time Reigns looked to be safe.

There was no rhyme or reason to the shakeup, people just kinda showed up and only once did it really have any surprise impact (Bliss)

Wyatt's had some shock impact but come on he's going to job every week to Balor... so who cares.

I lied best debut was The Drifter.

https://youtu.be/b_v48j5uqGc

YES BRYON AND JBL BACK TOGETHER.

HA HA HA!?
SHUT UP BYRON!

Otunga to Raw.

OMG yes, Corey is going to just shit on Otunga every week, it might make him being there worth it.

I should hold off on judging until I see who goes to Smackdown I guess...

Smackdown lost Wyatt, Miz, Bliss and Ambrose

Literally key players in some of their main feuds I have to imagine someone of value is going the other way.

If not man Wyatt and Miz are fucked because no way they get out from under The Shield guys and Balor and that's not factoring in even Joe and Owens.

Wyatt on Raw right now makes fuck all of sense.

Rimfya

Banned
You're right none of the "shake ups" felt special. Spectacle is usually the only thing WWE gets regularly right. Surprising.

Aiii

So not worth it
I absolutely love that they couldn't be arsed to edit out the machine sounds pushing the ambulance over. Fuck your disbelief.

Top Bottom