• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

rrc1594

Sami can't get over cause he a good dam geek and a loser. Like when was the last time Zayn every won a ppv match?

This. Doesn't matter how great your character is if your a loser you can't get over. Bray is perfect example of this he has a solid character dude is a loser. People gave up on him. Certain talents get over with the crowd with their work ethics and winning. If Sami had a meaningful feud I'll get their point they haven't giving him shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I agree,Ignore button is bitchmade.

That's an attitude that gets people banned for stupid reasons.

Sometimes its obvious someone doesn't want to have a real conversation and just wants to be a troll or play devil's advocate for everything in a way that isn't productive.

ShadyK54

Can't find it now, but Bryan confirmed as much in his own interview. They were given very bare bones instructions (basically "go out and argue") and Bryan decided to go way left and start criticizing how Miz wrestles. They've apparently had this discussion in private before, so I guess Bryan didn't think it would rile Miz up the way it did.

But alas, that was the last straw for Miz. He had time that day. lol Bryan said he had to walk it off because otherwise he and Miz would have been scrapping for real.

Shit, even I'm shook now lol.

Talking Smack is too good.

The thing with Sami is his character only really works if, a la NXT, it's decided ahead of time that he's going to be "one of the top guys" and booked as such ahead of time, such that even minor wins and losses play into a larger narrative. That worked GREAT for NXT having to do an hour per week, but three hours per week plus PPV, it's a hell of a lot harder not to get lost in the shuffle, especially if, like Sami, you never introduce many improvements into what you do. Has he tried out a catchphrase? Ways of popping the crowd? Developing an on-screen relationship with another wrestler (other than Kevin Owens), maybe someone he tag teams with? ANYTHING? Between how badly stagnant he is and the rumors of him being an insufferable pill to work with backstage, is it any wonder the WWE don't see a top guy in him? He's a better speaker than Cesaro, but he's got Cesaro's basic problem of never finding something for the crowd to really sink their teeth into outside of "wrestles real goodz". He's one of the most likable faces in the company, but I've never seen him give them a reason to take a chance on him.

Barrage

Yup. Austin lost to Bret at Survivor Series, lost again at Wrestlemania, then turned around and lost to the Undertaker a month later. That's why he's a geek and the crowds turned on him.

Same with Daniel Bryan.

On his latest pod Stone Cold had an extended rant about the "kickout on 3" thing which made me wonder if it was one of those things that the wrestlers care about way more than the fans. Like, does that kind of thing really factor all that much into match psychology? As a kid I didn't even notice Hogan did it to Warrior.

rrc1594

Sami had some momentum going forward after he got the win over KO. Which they put on two great back-back matchs and they did nothing with it. At SS he was put TT match on pre-show. He had feud with Jericho which went no where he lost then it ended.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Controversial opinion: Sami Zayn is having a good career in WWE. He might not be happy with his station in the company, but he's got a prominent role on Raw and has since he came up. He's not eating pins from Titus O'Neil or even Rusev. I mean, it is what it is, but he simply doesn't have the ceiling that Kevin Owens does because Kevin Owens, body type aside, is just such a WWE guy. Owens walked into the company sounding and acting exactly like the kind of heel wrestler WWE likes. If Owens was 6'3" and ripped I don't think it would be even vaguely a question that he'd be the top guy. And frankly, Owens was given the top title already, so he kind of IS a top guy.

Yup. Austin lost to Bret at Survivor Series, lost again at Wrestlemania, then turned around and lost to the Undertaker a month later. That's why he's a geek and the crowds turned on him.

Same with Daniel Bryan.

Yeah, because Sami is being booked exactly like those guys.

Pikma

Banned
Sami is supposed to be an underdog and is booked as such, I don't see how or why he's supposed to win every match and every feud

Barrage

Sami Zayn is Dean Malenko. Excellent technical talent that can rise to the occasion when put in the right storyline ( Malenko/Jericho or Neville/Zayn), but not someone who is interested or capable of elevating their own character, or a draw.

Someone said Zayn would be one of the top guys in NJPW? He wouldn't draw a dime there, no matter how many Meltzer ***************** matches he had.

Sami had some momentum going forward after he got the win over KO. Which they put on two great back-back matchs and they did nothing with it. At SS he was put TT match on pre-show. He had feud with Jericho which went no where he lost then it ended.
Sami coming in was a big deal (relatively speaking), then they just forgot about him. It's really stupid

somedevil

That's an attitude that gets people banned for stupid reasons.

Sometimes its obvious someone doesn't want to have a real conversation and just wants to be a troll or play devil's advocate for everything in a way that isn't productive.

This biggest cause for people being banned here is they think they can do the same type of posting in off-topic.

Tall4Life

Have like none of you watched Zayn vs Neville at Takeover

how you can watch that match and say with a straight face "zayn can never be a top guy"

rrc1594

Controversial opinion: Sami Zayn is having a good career in WWE. He might not be happy with his station in the company, but he's got a prominent role on Raw and has since he came up. He's not eating pins from Titus O'Neil or even Rusev. I mean, it is what it is, but he simply doesn't have the ceiling that Kevin Owens does because Kevin Owens, body type aside, is just such a WWE guy. Owens walked into the company sounding and acting exactly like the kind of heel wrestler WWE likes. If Owens was 6'3" and ripped I don't think it would be even vaguely a question that he'd be the top guy. And frankly, Owens was given the top title already, so he kind of IS a top guy.

KO was set the minute he put his foot on US title on Raw in his debut. Sami is in a good spot for someone who hasn't had any really major storylines. He gets segments on Raw and has been around top guys. I guess my point is I hate how 1 dimensional WWE makes their heels and faces.

Barrage

Have like none of you watched Zayn vs Neville at Takeover

how you can watch that match and say with a straight face "zayn can never be a top guy"

The same way I can watch Tommy Dreamer VS Raven, which has some of the best moments ever in a wrestling feud, and say "Tommy Dreamer can never be a top guy"

Fitts

I'm likely going to watch tonight for the first time in a long time. I'm interested in seeing what they do with Nakamura and, if AJ sticks around and KO comes over, I'll likely continue to watch SD whenever I can.

Losing Alexa is a shame, though. Miz too. I'd watch Raw, but it's too damn long and was super boring from what I caught over the past year. (save for the KO/Jericho segments that I would often watch the next day)

On his latest pod Stone Cold had an extended rant about the "kickout on 3" thing which made me wonder if it was one of those things that the wrestlers care about way more than the fans. Like, does that kind of thing really factor all that much into match psychology? As a kid I didn't even notice Hogan did it to Warrior.
It doesn't bother me with roll-ups, because it's supposed to be a struggle for the other guy to hold you down for 3 anyway. For finishers it does bother me because it just makes me think "So you couldn't have kicked out a quarter of a second earlier?" so I'd say it does affect the match psychology.

This is probably the most egregious example. Slaughter is definitely trying to keep his heat, brother.

Heroman

Banned
Dude has even had a title yet and the last ppv match he won was last September, how can that be good

Rather people block people they feel annoys them too much. Rather then have pages and pages of the same shit.
But in wrasslin threads we do talk the same stuff over and over. Not everyone is going to agree with the same stuff. It's like sports when we all like to bash on Patriots fans!!

Jamie OD

I thought it made sense with Hogan Vs Warrior. I never saw it as an ego thing, the same spot would definitely have happened if the roles were reversed. An evenly matched battle between those two would be fittingly decided on the slightest of margins.

Kicking out at 3 also happened a fair bit in early 90s New Japan and it was similar in the way it was presented over there. Watching say Shinya Hashimito squeak by a victory over Riki Choshu or vice versa put an emphasis on how closely matched they were from bout to bout.

klonere

Banned
Sami can put on incredible matches with the best of them

The WWE TV structure doesn't care about incredible matches

Yeah but that match had so much to do with what WWE is supposedly all about: big memorable moments, character work and a defined heel/face dynamic.

It wasn't just another great match.

Heroman

Banned
Sami is supposed to be an underdog and is booked as such, I don't see how or why he's supposed to win every match and every feud
He not a underdog if he losees most of his matches.A Underdog is someone defies the odds but Sami Zayn never does

rrc1594

You know what I'm brighten up put Sami on SD, maybe will change things up. I mean SD almost saved Ziggler's career till he had a shit match at SS.

Poor Renee/Ambrose, it's about to get rougher for them.

https://twitter.com/LordtEllie/status/851925491917434880

That would explain the rumors about what was on Ambrose's finger last night. Damn. I pray they can keep the psycho fans away.
This screams of something Renee and Ambrose would not want people finding out if this is true. Especially given Ambrose is the most private person ever.

Poor Renee. Certain Ambrose fans already hate her for daring to date him, I dread that it's gonna triple now if they are married.

Edit: Also Jesus, getting married and then immediately split up on different brands.

I feel like someone showed Vince a Woody Allen movie for the first time and he said "SAMI, GET OVER HERE GODDAMNIT:

Except Woody was genuinely charismatic (and even attractive, to a certain kind of woman), whereas Sami just kind of looks like a dork. It's more like Vince watched Superbad and told him to kinda act like a mix of the two characters, without the swearing.

Yeah but that match had so much to do with what WWE is supposedly all about: big memorable moments, character work and a defined heel/face dynamic.

It wasn't just another great match.
There weren't any catchphrases that sell T-Shirts though so they don't care

Real talk that marriage records stalking is some next level bullshit. Stick to airports, you fucking nothings

Caderfix

He not a underdog if he losees most of his matches.A Underdog is someone defies the odds but Sami Zayn never does

First they need to establish he is the Underdog and do so by making look like a dork and losing all the time, but when/if they pull the trigger it's going to be a great feel good moment. I agree it's taking long, but I still have hope.

Top Bottom