• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Bleacher Report guy gets it:

Roman Reigns' Crowd Reaction at WWE WrestleMania 33 Confirms He's Top WWE Star
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...wwe-wrestlemania-33-confirms-hes-top-wwe-star

At WWE WrestleMania 33, in a yard once dominated by The Undertaker, Roman Reigns' polarizing star power shone through in an otherwise so-so match that may have been the demise of The Deadman.

Early in the night, one of the biggest reactions came as fans reacted, both positively and negatively, to Reigns' likeness being shown in a pre-show vignette. I sat in a press box as the boos pierced through Camping World Stadium like one of his vaunted Superman Punches, followed by an admirable rally of cheers for a man who has become one of WWE's most controversial figures.

Despite many fans watching for over seven hours, the stadium united in an aggressive response toward Reigns, which sounded like mostly boos from an audience filled with hardcore traditionalists who didn't want to see The Undertaker go away.

And while Reigns' victory will be criticized by some, who will use familiar internet talking points that he's being "shoved down their throats" and that he's "WWE's hand-picked choice," this is simply not the case, according to independent reports that cannot be credited to WWE propaganda.

Ahead of Sunday's pay-per-view, Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (h/t Raj Giri Wrestling Inc), reported that Reigns is the top merchandise seller of any full-time performer. With John Cena set to take time off to further establish his footprint in Hollywood, per the aforementioned report, Reigns' stranglehold as the top merchandise seller will only continue to grow.

If that wasn't enough of a crushing blow to his detractors, at WWE Axxess, Reigns' VIP autograph session occurred simultaneously with that of Internet Wrestling Community favorite Samoa Joe. Per a report by Giri, which was supported with social media photo and video, a low turnout for Joe—and a standing-room-only crowd for Reigns—meant poor Joe's session ended a half an hour early to be used as overflow for Reigns.

WWE operates in a different time, one in which fans are as vocal and opinionated as ever and there are many shades of grey separating good from evil. Despite WWE's best efforts, AJ Styles is heavily cheered because of his iconic track record and the fact he's not only one of the best wrestlers in the world today but one of the best of all time.

Roman Reigns will always have his detractors because of what he represents—WWE's (rightful) choice as a top star—more than who he is. Even Goldberg, one of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, absorbed his share of boos as he fought valiantly against an awakened Brock Lesnar.

In 2017, not all babyfaces are created equally, and the same goes for heels. As long as a stadium can be filled by over 75,000 fans, that's perfectly fine.

Roman Reigns hasn't sold any merchandise[1] and people don't like him[2]. Except for ugly babbies[3].

[1] www.wwe.com/1999bossman-meets-tysontomko/shirtsales
[2] www.peoplemagazine.com/romanreignsandwhetherornotpeoplelikehim
[3] www.babynames.com/roman-ugly-babbies

The top link takes me to the 'parts unknown' page. Why the fuck was The Berserker from parts unknown? He was a fucking viking, so I'm going to go with somewhere in Scandinavia, like Norway. Just a hunch.

Barrage

Wait you say Sami has stagnated and list New Day as your number 1?

Dude....

Bruh, what New Day is doing is uncharted in wrestling history.

To stay this over, as Faces, while filling this much TV Time with original content week-by-week...unprecedented.

Go watch when the New Age Outlaws tried new catchphrases in 1999. Sickening.

They got WHO, a box of cereal, ice cream,and a Trombone over...twice.

I just respect how hard they work. Shit, they pivoted to Horror against the Wyatt Family and I was with it.

Again...name a single thing Sami Zayn has changed or improved in the last two years.

Nekofrog

Banned
So what is everyone's version of wrestling themed hell? You die, go to hell, and Stan instructs you that your eternal punishment for all of time is to watch (wrestling program here) for all eternity with no breaks

What is your wrestling hell? Thunder forever and ever? New generation RAW? the entire match history of Mabel?

cordy

Banned
- As noted, WWE Champion Randy Orton was at Wizard World St. Louis this past weekend. Bleeding Cool noted that during the Q&A, Orton said that he was pleased with his match against Bray Wyatt at WrestleMania 33, but the one thing he was not happy about was the digital snake that was used during his entrance. Orton said that "the snake looked like giant sperm" and said that he is often "screwed out of entrances." He noted that he has no input in his entrances, and would like an elaborate one like Triple H's at the event.
-

So what is everyone's version of wrestling themed hell? You die, go to hell, and Stan instructs you that your eternal punishment for all of time is to watch (wrestling program here) for all eternity with no breaks

What is your wrestling hell? Thunder forever and ever? New generation RAW? the entire match history of Mabel?
Mania 32

ReiGun

To stay this over, as Faces, while filling this much TV Time with original content week-by-week...unprecedented.

I just respect how hard they work. Shit, they pivoted to Horror against the Wyatt Family and I was with it.
All of this. The New Day are true gems. Part of the reason they feel so stale is that they're being underutilized due to being stuck in WWE's nothing tag division.

They need to be like the stables of old: a group of people who work together, but also go after individual success.

Damn, Trips can't hook his mans up?

What would an elaborate Randy entrance even be?

RBH

We're live coming to you from The Georgia Dome !

Fuck yes. This is how I like wrestling fans to talk. New Day is way better and fresher than the IWC will ever give it credit for.

klonere

Banned

Again...name a single thing Sami Zayn has changed or improved in the last two years.

We fundamentally disagree on the point of the New Day being stale so much that I feel we won't be able to come half way on this one, sorry.

I will say Sami has done nothing on the level of the Neville feud in NXT but that's an incredibly high bar. And they made Sami/Kevin feel like a nothing, throwaway match despite them having a literal feud of the year elsewhere.

Syder

That's what I'm telling all of you.

If Roman isn't over, this thread wouldn't always be talking about him. Dude's the hottest star.
This thread talks about dumb shit that isn't over all the time. This thread invariably always ends up at 400+ pages, there's a lot of shit that gets mentioned.

I don't want to continue this line of thought but I don't get this 'just don't react' attitude with Roman. He's been the fucking main event three Manias in a row. No one has been this forced ever. If I don't like a guy in NXT or the midcard it's easy to ignore but this is different. I said before Mania that if Roman turns I'll buy all of his fucking merch, the guy outside of WWE seems chill and like he could comfortably handle a heel turn. The character is a topsy-turvy, blank slate of a human being with no code or redeeming qualities, at least Cena, as boring as he is has rules. The booing is just a meme at this point and I just don't care anymore. It's only a matter of time before the indifference WWE fears actually happens.

I count fans as people who can't stop talking about him, so I include all of us.
Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Jerm411

Had to go back and watch the 3/7 Talking Smack again in memorium of The Miz moving to RAW....still the greatest thing ever. Maryse basically calling Nikki a high rent whore.....jeezus.

rrc1594

Not Sami's fault that WWE has given him shit to work with. I mean his gimmick was easy fight back face. WWE only knows how to book 1 type of face and 2 types of heels. Change move set he is top 5 worker in the company and knows how to put over talent cause he can sell.

Syder

Not Sami's fault that WWE has given him shit to work with. I mean his gimmick was easy fight back face. WWE only knows how to book 1 type of face and 2 types of heels. Change move set he is top 5 worker in the company and knows how to put over talent cause he can sell.
Yes, if Sami can do great work in NXT with the same character but can't on the main roster, where does the buck stop? I can't really blame the wrestler in this instance.

ReiGun

Had to go back and watch the 3/7 Talking Smack again in memorium of The Miz moving to RAW....still the greatest thing ever. Maryse basically calling Nikki a high rent whore.....jeezus.

Nikki and Brie! Had Bryan shook. Was probably one of many times on Talking Smack that he wanted to go off on Miz and Maryse.

I watched the original TS promo with them the other day and you could tell when shit stopped being just a promo. Nerves were struck that day, in both Miz and Bryan.

Best part was watching Renee. She was all kekeing and for it when Bryan was calling Miz all kinds of cowards, but switched to all "That's not what this show is about" once Miz started lighting his ass up. I see how you do, Renee.

Heroman

Banned
If Vince isn't behind you than you aren't going to be anything. Like you Sami in any other promotion he would thrive he be one the top stars in a few months cause he is just that good.

Barrage

Everyone makes this excuse, ESPECIALLY for Sami (Remember when Sami and Cody stunk up the joint at Roadblock,and everyone blamed it on the AGENTS?). And it's bullshit.

What great content were Enzo and Cass given? Jericho got mega-over while being put in a throwaway tag. Or New Day. The Miz got over on a post-show talkshow.

Sami has no other gear other than his Day 1 "Golly, shucks" bullshit. I'll give this to Cesaro- he was dry as a pirate toilet,and you know what he did? New entrance (same shitty music, but he worked with what he had). Saw the Cesaro Section and played to it, made sure the cameras showed it by jumping into the crowd. Developed spots that would for sure pop the crowd, ala the Big Swing and the Corner UppercutX4.

He WORKED for it. And Sami hasn't done shit. And if you think Cesaro has been booked any better than Zayn, you must have just got out of an ambulance Strowman tipped over.

Bleacher Report guy gets it:

Roman Reigns' Crowd Reaction at WWE WrestleMania 33 Confirms He's Top WWE Star
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...wwe-wrestlemania-33-confirms-hes-top-wwe-star

The last line of how heels and faces are created makes no fucking sense because for the company Roman is still a babyface yet no one's responding to him like that. Also, he's not WWE's top star, John Cena is, and probably Dean Ambrose.

I'm watching the newest episode of Ride Along

Miz and Maryse's back-and-forth banter is cute

I just watched the episode where Ellsworth got heat from Daniel Bryan for renting a non environmental friendly vehicle.

Jerm411

Nikki and Brie! Had Bryan shook. Was probably one of many times on Talking Smack that he wanted to go off on Miz and Maryse.

I watched the original TS promo with them the other day and you could tell when shit stopped being just a promo. Nerves were struck that day, in both Miz and Bryan.

Best part was watching Renee. She was all kekeing and for it when Bryan was calling Miz all kinds of cowards, but switched to all "That's not what this show is about" once Miz started lighting his ass up. I see how you do, Renee.

Just read a story where Miz was on a podcast and said during the first TS craziness Bryan walking off was a shoot and he thought DB was going to punch him.

Shit I thought the same thing watching the second round...esp. when Miz brought up his concussions and retirement.

Zabka

The Undertaker could have wrestled Ellsworth in the main event of Wrestlemania and they'd still sell out. Giving that to Reigns is laughable.

Cagey

Banned
Everyone makes this excuse, ESPECIALLY for Sami (Remember when Sami and Cody stunk up the joint at Roadblock,and everyone blamed it on the AGENTS?). And it's bullshit.

What great content were Enzo and Cass given? Jericho got mega-over while being put in a throwaway tag. Or New Day. The Miz got over on a post-show talkshow.

Sami has no other gear other than his Day 1 "Golly, shucks" bullshit. I'll give this to Cesaro- he was dry as a pirate toilet,and you know what he did? New entrance (same shitty music, but he worked with what he had). Saw the Cesaro Section and played to it, made sure the cameras showed it by jumping into the crowd. Developed spots that would for sure pop the crowd, ala the Big Swing and the Corner UppercutX4.

He WORKED for it. And Sami hasn't done shit. And if you think Cesaro has been booked any better than Zayn, you must have just got out of an ambulance Strowman tipped over.
Sami Zayns entire gimmick is That Indie Dude Who You Know Corporate Won't Let Succeed.

Motherfucker, you're on WWE's national television shows. You made it. Do something else. Daniel Bryan did other stuff and thrived before he played that card.

ReiGun

Just read a story where Miz was on a podcast and said during the first TS craziness Bryan walking off was a shoot and he thought DB was going to punch him.

Shit I thought the same thing watching the second round...esp. when Miz brought up his concussions and retirement.

Can't find it now, but Bryan confirmed as much in his own interview. They were given very bare bones instructions (basically "go out and argue") and Bryan decided to go way left and start criticizing how Miz wrestles. They've apparently had this discussion in private before, so I guess Bryan didn't think it would rile Miz up the way it did.

But alas, that was the last straw for Miz. He had time that day. lol Bryan said he had to walk it off because otherwise he and Miz would have been scrapping for real.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Top Bottom