• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

cordy

Banned
I gotta say both brands did great with the shake-up. Raw got Ambrose, Miz/Maryse, Wyatt, Alexa Bliss and Mickie. SD got Owens, Zayn, Charlotte, Rusev and New Day. Overall those were the most important picks and given how the storylines go from this point things can be shaken up. There's a lot of development that can be done on both sides. Unlike before, where SD was trampling Raw, I think it'll be a bit more even now.

I look forward to the future.

I gotta say both brands did great with the shake-up. Raw got Ambrose, Miz/Maryse, Wyatt, Alexa Bliss and Mickie. SD got Owens, Zayn, Charlotte, Rusev and New Day. Overall those were the most important picks and given how the storylines go from this point things can be shaken up. There's a lot of development that can be done on both sides. Unlike before, where SD was trampling Raw, I think it'll be a bit more even now.

What Raw lacks is good writing and pacing. They'll still lose.

ReiGun

Not TS related but 2 Horsewomen on each show is brilliant especially.
Yup. Especially when Sasha turns. Each show will have one big face and heel to build the division around.

It's crazy to think just how far women's wrestling has come in WWE. When I stopped watching in 2012, people were not shy about admitting that the Divas were the bathroom break. Now, in the just the year since I've been watching again, they've built bonafide stars in the 4 HW and Asuka, people like Alexa Bliss and Ember Moon who are getting tons of buzz and are just on the cusp of being on that Horsewoman level, and even people who have been around forever like Naomi are over. That's to say nothing of up and comers like the Iconic Duo and Nikki Cross who are gaining traction. Hell even Carmella is starting to get reactions!

I criticize the booking for the women at times - especially on Raw - but I'll give the devil its due; the increased focus on and respect for women's wrestling is a good look on WWE's part.

Meltzer mentioned last month that she was at the PC training to come back.

Ahh I see. Hope she returns soon.

Edit: Another benefit of New Day on Smackdown: Traphouse Usos go back to being regulars on UUDD!
rejoice.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What Raw lacks is good writing and pacing. They'll still lose.

These two hours flew by. Even the rare really excellent RAW these days feels like it is going at it slow.

Some of the post PPV pre Mania SD's had like two matches and were still excellent to watch.

Your forgetting the most important shake up. David Otunga for Byron Saxton. GET FUCKED RAW.

Yup. Especially when Sasha turns. Each show will have one big face and heel to build the division around.

It's crazy to think just how far women's wrestling has come in WWE. When I stopped watching in 2012, people were not shy about admitting that the Divas were the bathroom break. Now, in the just the year since I've been watching again, they've built bonafide stars in the 4 HW and Asuka, people like Alexa Bliss and Ember Moon who are getting tons of buzz and are just on the cusp of being on that Horsewoman level, and even people who have been around forever like Naomi are over. That's to say nothing of up and comers like the Iconic Duo and Nikki Cross who are gaining traction. Hell even Carmella is starting to get reactions!

I criticize the booking for the women at times - especially on Raw - but I'll give the devil its due; the increased focus on and respect for women's wrestling is a good look on WWE's part.

Ahh I see. Hope she returns soon.

Edit: Another benefit of New Day on Smackdown: Traphouse Usos go back to being regulars on UUDD!
rejoice.png

Bliss got I'd say the biggest reaction on Raw in terms of Shakeup debuts

These two hours flew by. Even the rare really excellent RAW these days feels like it is going at it slow.

Some of the post PPV pre Mania SD's had like two matches and were still excellent to watch.

Exactly it's biggest issue. They can put on some nice matches and nice segments but the pacing is all jacked up. They gotta find a way to fix that.
Like I've said, give me more story telling and you got me. I don't care about these 15 minute matches, save them for the ppv. Give them 8 minutes and build the story. That's why it worked better back then. Hell some times, I don't care for the 25-30 minute sd matches. 15-20 is good. I'd rather yhem fit more shenanigans in there. Make your fabs lust that extra ten minutes on the ppv.
Your forgetting the most important shake up. David Otunga for Byron Saxton. GET FUCKED RAW.
Get
Fucked
Raw

GunBR

I don't think that Raw will get any better now, but at least we won't have wrestlers that people care about being wasted like Sami and Rusev (maybe Bray, but he will always be a jobber)

I'm only worried about Joe after he finish his feud against Seth

You want to know how far women in WWE have come?

They are about to dedicate an hour every single week to women's wrestling. Not just for the tournament, but every week after that too.

cordy

Banned

Yeah but SDL has JBL so shit evens out.

Like I've said, give me more story telling and you got me. I don't care about these 15 minute matches, save them for the ppv. Give them 8 minutes and build the story. That's why it worked better back then. Hell some times, I don't care for the 25-30 minute sd matches. 15-20 is good. I'd rather yhem fit more shenanigans in there.

I'd be fine if we got more segments like Braun wrecking shit. Anything to fill up the time.

Yeah but SDL has JBL so shit evens out.

I'd be fine if we got more segments like Braun wrecking shit. Anything to fill up the time.
All the segments now are just talking that don't even feel genuine or have heat. Rarely do you even get the beat downs that lead to the matches or some fuckery. That stuff was brilliant. And the braun destruction thing was great.

ReiGun

Bliss got I'd say the biggest reaction on Raw in terms of Shakeup debuts

She got the only reaction, far as I could tell. Save maybe Miz.

She's definitely big, but I still feel like she's just a level below the 4HW + Asuka. Which is why her being on Raw should be great for her. On Smackdown, she kind of sailed past most of the division to the point that Becky was her only competition until Naomi got over. If she continues to improve in the ring, being on a bigger stage with new opponents should be good for her.

Raw didn't really change.... They just replaced guys that were being hurt by Raw with guys that are going to be hurt by Raw....

The only person who might really excel on Raw is Bliss and even then she could end up being third fiddle behind Nia and Sasha so jury is even out on that one. Putting her there was the right move but time will tell if they let her be the mic workhorse the division needs.

Miz was a guy with a believable path to the main event and a title run now has hit not a ceiling but a Shield that will keep him out of it.

Bray will likely just ended up fully cemented as jobber to the stars...

Now, now this could all change if they decided to put the WWE title on Raw with Bray after Payback...

On the topic of women, Meltzer mentioned last week that WWE is at the point now where they expect Shirai to sign with them and do the tournament.

You think women's wrestling is legit in WWE now? Just wait until she gets there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Miz will be fine on RAW. He was doing great pre brand split. The only thing really shut to him is a title reign but considering the chance that the IC title might well be the real title for up to a year on the brand then he can win that. Maybe.

On the topic of women, Meltzer mentioned last week that WWE is at the point now where they expect Shirai to sign with them and do the tournament.

You think women's wrestling is legit in WWE now? Just wait until she gets there.
So she hasn't signed on for the tournament yet?

I hope she does. Shirai vs Candice for the finals pls.

So she hasn't signed on for the tournament yet?

I hope she does. Shirai vs Candice for the finals pls.

I don't think it's a done deal like Hojo is, but the situation has gone from them being unsure last month to expecting it this month, so they must have gotten some indication to change that.

Also give me Toni Storm or Evie or Hojo over Candice.

Candice is not good at wrestling women. At best she's okay.

rrc1594

Only Raw got going for its self right now is the TT division. Waiting on that Banks turn for me to be more invested in Women's division. They have no mid-card Dean Vs. Miz plz no. Who else's can Dean battle with? The main event picture is straight boring. Roman, Seth, Braun, Finn, and Brock. Joe Vs Seth is weird cause neither of them should be losing. Honesty I'm shocked right now how SD is so much superior then Raw right now other then TT. Vince going undo all of this by the RR. Also SD had the MiTB so it's even more interesting going forward. Honesty Raw needs AJ lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only Raw got going for its self right now is the TT division. Waiting on that Banks turn for me to be more invested in Women's division. They have no mid-card Dean Vs. Miz plz no. Who else's can Dean battle with? The main event picture is straight boring. Roman, Seth, Braun, Finn, and Brock. Joe Vs Seth is weird cause neither of them should be losing. Honesty I'm shocked right now how SD is so much superior then Raw right now other then TT. Vince going undo all of this by the RR. Also SD had the MiTB so it's even more interesting going forward. Honesty Raw needs AJ lol.

Bork ain't fighting nobody until August so the main event is the mid card, which is fun if they all decide they want the IC title. Or maybe Shield versus some sort of Samoan Joe stable in three months of three mans.

Cagey

Banned
I hope dream's boy Nasty Nick Nemeth shows up for this Nakamura feud because I'd like to see Nak feel he can go full strong ahead and kick his face in instead of playing it safe.

Ziggler is top three "da fuck was I thinking" liking the dude once upon a time. Everyone makes mistakes oh yes they do...

I hope dream's boy Nasty Nick Nemeth shows up for this Nakamura feud because I'd like to see Nak feel he can go full strong ahead and kick his face in instead of playing it safe.

Ziggler is top three "da fuck was I thinking" liking the dude once upon a time. Everyone makes mistakes oh yes they do...

Ziggler was a guy who looked better than he was before the Indy Invasion and FCW/NXT actually training decent workers.

DMczaf

It's so funny how much the WWE title took a backseat the second Randy got it.

Honestly feels like it's The AJ Styles Show Featuring the New Smackdown Six

He doesn't even need a title to feel like he's the most important guy on the show.

DMczaf

Found this on wreddit where a fan took a vid of the Charlotte and Nia Jax moonsault botch from the third row. Looks scary as hell, and i'm glad Charlotte in on SDL now.

https://gfycat.com/ClutteredLinedAbalone

Ugh so green

Charlotte completely botched it by coming up short, but a vet would be able to read that and correct their positioning to try to lessen the botch as much as possible

Nia just stood there like a deer in headlights.

Jesse confirmed clueless.

Roman, 4 Horsewomen, plus all the other lower tier indy guys who got some polish while in NXT (believe me, Jon Moxley was not Dean Ambrose when he was first signed when it comes to in ring presence even if I think he's overrated as a worker). I'm not saying NXT has been great, it's just that Ziggler looks a lot worse in comparison.

Pikma

Banned
Shibata collapsed on his way to the locker room, and had to be taken to a hospital in the city. There, he was diagnosed with an acute subdural hematoma. Surgery lasted 5 hours, and was successful. The hematoma was small, and he's expected to recover well. Post-surgery, he was able to converse normally, and was fully conscious.

Apparently, after the match, Shibata experienced paralysis on his right side, though that isn't expected to be permanent. Paralysis affecting the right side of the body can be caused by damage to the left side of the brain.

Acute (as opposed to chronic) subdural hematomas are more often than not fatal, and a minority of people who suffer them regain full or partial brain function. That Shibata is only 37, and received care as soon as he did, improved his chances greatly.

Shibata's doctor, Shunji Asamoto (neurologist and spinal surgeon, International University of Health and Welfare Mita Hospital), said "there is no medical evidence, but it is said that it [the subdural hematoma] can easily recur. If he still wants to be a professional wrestler in the future, strict examinations will be necessary. I am not optimistic at all."

Hirooki Goto (former classmate and tag partner) has said he's "praying for [Shibata's] recovery," and that he "believe in the strength of Shibata more than anything."

Yeah this is probably just a work guys, don't mind the fact he experienced partial fucking paralysis, Dave said so and I lack the critical thinking needed to doubt him so I believe him.

rrc1594

What's worse Brock isn't even going be defending the tile till SS, which would be okay if IC title meant something but it doesn't lol.

Top Bottom