• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

imBask

Banned
Europeans stayed up super late for this

XzHhzy.gif

Zach

Do that for RAW and it works great but the network was such a mess for me last night I'm sure it would have worked. I just started an hour late but wound up missing Neville / Aries live because of it.
I had nary a problem, so maybe that depends on your internet connection.

Beefy

There was some construction on my building so I had the worst night of sleep. Well, I went to bed at 6 am so "night of sleep" is streaching it.

I had some weird pulsing sound going on outside my house

Wonder who WWE bring back next? Also WWE badly need a supernatural type theme now.

kiguel182

I enjoyed the Mania extravaganza. Was 7 hours too much? Yes but it's once a year.

The issue was that the final matches were too slow. HHH v Rollins went on too long and Taker v Reigns too (especially for the state Taker is in) while the women's match and Orton v Wyatt were too short and had terrible pacing.

The back half was bad but I was entertained up until the main-event. And it was pretty much what I expected anyway. I was prepared.

The only match that disappointed me was Owens v Jericho. It wasn't bad but it didn't had the intensity I was expecting.

imBask

Banned
Reigns vs Taker was terrible
Wyatt vs Orton was terrible
everything else was... ok

forgettable Wrestlemania, way too long, way too bloated with downtimes and FUCKING PITBULL SINGING GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

Ithil

I think WM 32 and 33 together have demonstrated that the show is now just too long. The two hour preshow, the four and a half hour main show is simply too much, the crowd died at some point last year (granted it was a crap show) and they died with like 1:45 left to go in the show this time, except the Universal title match.

When the crowd are checking out with near two hours remaining in your show, you need to cut it down.

kiguel182

Wyatt and Orton didn't need to be terrible. They had the right idea with the fuckery but then it just ended "OUTTA NOWHERE" and there was no sense of pace or anything. It was bad.

Shame that an interesting feud ended like this.

imBask

Banned
I think WM 32 and 33 together have demonstrated that the show is now just too long. The two hour preshow, the four and a half hour main show is simply too much, the crowd died at some point last year (granted it was a crap show) and they died with like 1:45 left to go in the show this time, except the Universal title match.

When the crowd are checking out with near two hours remaining in your show, you need to cut it down.

or I was thinking maybe they need better pacing

My friend and I kept checking out because there were like 15min of downtime between matches... and the entrances all took 5 min because the ramp was way too long. As much as I like HHH, his entrance took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long

I know the ARMBAR doesn't mean shit, but Zayn getting eliminated had a very loud and audible booo. Mojo on the other hand had jackshit and this was definitely 100% about Gronk more than mojo

Caderfix

I know the ARMBAR doesn't mean shit, but Zayn getting eliminated had a very loud and audible booo. Mojo on the other hand had jackshit and this was definitely 100% about Gronk more than mojo

Who's that and why is it about him/her? Also, Mojo won the ARMBAR, huh... That's bad...

Striker

I'm gonna listen to The Lapsed Fan's review and play some Battle Brothers.
They shit all over the show
Watching the matches from AJ-Shane on, I'm mostly in agreement with them. Maybe I'm mostly cynical about the program anymore, but other than things like the Hardy Boyz returning, there wasn't much else excitement going on.

AJ-Shane was better than last year's Shane match but that's not saying much because Taker is all but crippled right now. It wasn't as good as his Angle matches but there's nothing wrong with it. It's also sad the Hardyz and Shane come back and they show how big spots and hardcore shenanigans are still fun to see; then you see the so called Lunatic Fringe, the Mick Foley or Brian Pillman clone :wink, and he's the absolute shits.

Why is Orton winning a Rumble in 2017? Why is Orton winning a premier title match at Mania in 2017? Bray probably wins the title back the next PPV, or even Smackdown. The Triple H of feuds.

Bork-Goldberg was nonsense but I expected that. Maybe soon they'll stop the Suplex City shtick?

On the idea of who's getting called up
Cien will probably flop given he's already been nothing special in NXT. His best thing for him to do is 205 Live.

Sephzilla

Roman was probably one of the worst possible choices for retiring Taker, honestly. I don't remember who suggested it, but having Cena be the guy to retire Taker and having Cena view that moment as a glimpse into his immediate future would have made for some nice story material for Cena going forward. Alternatively having someone like Bray or Demon Balor be the guy to retire Taker and have that moment be a symbolic handoff from goofy character to goofy character would have worked really well too (it would have helped if they didn't run Bray vs Taker stories already).

Roman is just such a blah choice because it's honestly going to permanently follow him the rest of his career, he isn't really going to be able to do that much with it story wise, and the only storyline purpose its going to have is for Vince to effectively retcon WrestleMania 31 and do that main event over since fans didn't accept it the first time.

Ithil

The feeling you get from Reigns is "teacher's pet". No one likes a teacher's pet.
Him getting this attempted rub is just another example.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on........any of this, really

So, they used Taker's streak to ultimately get Reigns over, fucked it up the first time a year later (Reigns/Brock), waited 2 years, used Taker's retirement to get Reigns over, fucked that up immediately with a match seemingly everyone's acknowledged as poor, and now will fuck up using the streak again by having the right finish to Reigns/Brock 3 years later (which will undoubtedly be booed to oblivion because nobody's running in at the last minute this time)

Caderfix

So, they used Taker's streak to ultimately get Reigns over, fucked it up the first time a year later (Reigns/Brock), waited 2 years, used Taker's retirement to get Reigns over, fucked that up immediately with a match seemingly everyone's acknowledged as poor, and now will fuck up using the streak again by having the right finish to Reigns/Brock 3 years later (which will undoubtedly be booed to oblivion because nobody's running in at the last minute this time)

It'll work this time, trust me.

Thinking back on it Triple H's entrance kind of sucked. It was hilarious to watch but at the end of the day it was like he wanted to be an American Badass.

Ithil

Imagine if anyone else got this many coronation attempts. They gave up on Diesel after a year. They gave up on Sheamus in less than one. They give up on many guys but they refuse to let this turd flush.

Sephzilla

Thinking back on it Triple H's entrance kind of sucked. It was hilarious to watch but at the end of the day it was like he wanted to be an American Badass.

Maybe HHH's entrance was a stealth Undertaker tribute?

I was hoping HHH would come out on an iron throne made out of sledgehammers. But I guess HHH isn't a Game of Thrones mark

Ithil

It was so damn HHH. You could practically hear him saying in his head "I look SO COOL". Like someone posted in WM thread:

320560.gif

And of course Triple H will put Seth over using his own finisher but you think he's gonna do it completely clean? Na, he's gotta be distracted first, friends.

Imagine if anyone else got this many coronation attempts. They gave up on Diesel after a year. They gave up on Sheamus in less than one. They give up on many guys but they refuse to let this turd flush.

That's why I get upset at the Nash comparisons.

Not just because I love Reigns, and fuck Kevin Nash, and all. But they gave up on Diesel. They did. This ain't Nash

This is Luger. I loved Luger too, but come on. 2 companies spent a total of 4 or 5 years trying to make Luger happen

Striker

They probably do many more runs with Diesel hadn't he left.

Top Bottom