• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

i actually think almas is salvageable on the main roster where he can be repackaged to be even more evil

Agreed. Get him away from the Full Sail crowd, package as a devastating heel.

Fuck, put him and Nakamura on SD and let them have a feud because the matches would be outstanding. Language might be a problem though.

Agreed. Get him away from the Full Sail crowd, package as a devastating heel.

Fuck, put him and Nakamura on SD and let them have a feud because the matches would be outstanding. Language might be a problem though.

He'll job to Neville at the next PPV and disappear into 205 until his contract is up.

Adree

I caught up on Mania late and read like 50 pages of the OT thread and my take is:

People don't know the difference between crickets and roaches.

I caught up on Mania late and read like 50 pages of the OT thread and my take is:

People don't know the difference between crickets and roaches.

Roaches are fucking awful things that terrify me when i go overseas.

Crickets are the things clearly audible in the crowd from Seth v HHH onwards last night.

klonere

Banned
Did you guys enjoy Mania?

I went to sleep after Shane/AJ, I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to get better than that. Skipped through the rest in 30 minutes this morning. HHH/Rollins seemed really good.

I went to sleep after Shane/AJ, I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to get better than that. Skipped through the rest in 30 minutes this morning. HHH/Rollins seemed really good.

At its best it was Wrestlemania 19 at its worst it was I dunno WrestleMania 25 or 27

2 of the big main event matches were duds, one of them that actually could have been saved from being a dud with a small tweak of the finish that is baffling that they didn't do... and the final match was just 23 minutes of sadness..

So is there anyone in WWE who high on the company spin bullshit? Aside from maybe Bryan? Someone uploaded some clips from that Roman/Jericho podcast and I gave them a listen and it's pretty much the same "hur hur internet fans don't get it" defense when it comes to Roman's character and the idea Roman would start getting cheers if he turned heel but he's not a face either, he's himself and doesn't seem like he really cares because he's getting paid which is perfect for modern WWE.

Jericho being the company tool he's become of course backs it up and talking about WWE being like movies and it's not your place to speak up on the script and this other silliness and now if you did that in a movie you're get replaced because you know, Tom Cruise is going to get fired for having issues with a script. I think there was something about gaining cred or whatever but by then my head started hurting. Oh yeah, talk about WWE being a team effort which is another one of those new things they've been pushing as everyone being "team players" instead of individuals which trying to get themselves on top which adds to IMO talent not being protective of themselves anymore which is why the 50/50 booking shit flies and how wins/losses don't matter as Vince continues his delusion of that he's a film director not some carny ass wrestling promoter who got lucky with the right talent at the right time and a lot of money to buy out talent from other territories to accelerate driving his would be competition out of business.

I swear I feel like I'm getting worked because every time I hear Roman in any interview I get irritated and hot and reminded how much like a condescending prick he can come off as.

I should probably listen to the whole thing and not clips that are a few minutes long maybe I will later, I obviously need sleep lack of sleep makes me bitchy.

Remember what WWE tried with Scott Hall for using the accent, carve them up etc.

Are you talking about when he showed up on Nitro pretty much in Razor Ramon mode? That was against WCW, WWE never went after Scott and IIRC that was more on WCW actively pushing the idea that he was still Razor Ramon without actually saying the name leading people to believe Razor had invaded WCW on behalf of the WWF.

Oh good lord lol the Reigns/Taker match was 23 minutes

Why the fuck on a show already run long and Taker being a literal corpse did they go 23 minutes?
Is that with or without the entrances? Because FFS. The match really shouldn't have been more than ten minutes.
Fuck JBL and fuck this stupid company full of bullies
Be A (PR) Star!
I'm kinda lost here. What happened?

I know JBL is an asshole, though. No surprise there.

JBL has basically legit been an asshole and basically legit bullying Mauro since they started working together and apparently it's what triggered his bipolar disorder going by the talk and what Bas Rutten has said.

A 52 year old man coming off hip surgery, who has looked worse and worse the last couple of years is relied upon to do a 23 minute main event match...what could go wrong?

GunBR

I swear I feel like I'm getting worked because every time I hear Roman in any interview I get irritated and hot and reminded how much like a condescending prick he can come off as.

The thing is that Roman knows that he's the top guy and doesn't matter if people hate him or love him and he's fine with that

Cena at least make that speech of "You guys don't like me? But I will always be here for the fans and the company"
While Reigns talking looks more like " You don't like me? Deal with it"

Another reason for him to turn, but never gonna happen

Is that with or without the entrances? Because FFS. The match really shouldn't have been more than ten minutes.

ha ha ha ha the match...

From Intro promo package/Jr's entrance to the end of the show 50 minutes was dedicated to Reigns/Taker on a over 5 hour main show and over 7 hour show overall, and here;s the thing the focus of it all was not Roman Reigns, it was Taker.

23 minutes of that was the match bell to bell.

Who the fuck said yeah sure let's give the guy who is no longer playing the gimmick but actually now living the gimmick of a Deadman 23 stupid minutes...

This did fuck all good for Reigns.

Like I get it's Taker's last match but like come on, and I do hold Taker responsible because he's a vet, he knows he's done, he should have fought for a much tighter, far far shorter match. Like everyone is singing his praises for his legendary status but man this match just pissed me off because he made Roman look terrible at a time where lol I can't believe I'm saying this Roman needed to look strong.

Take 10 minutes of of the show entirely or give the Raw women's match and maybe the SD women's match a bit more time. Don't try and go 23 freaking minutes, I legit don't care that it was his retirement match because it sucked and it just made me sad.

A 52 year old man coming off hip surgery, who has looked worse and worse the last couple of years is relied upon to do a 23 minute main event match...what could go wrong?

Exactly and again how did he not fight for a shorter match... did he really want to go out looking like a sad shell of a man?

There were ways to work around how fucking done Taker was, going for a competitive match was not one of them, Taker had zero business being competitive. Like Shane O'Mac being competitive against Shane was more believable than Taker being competitive in his state against Reigns. I can't believe they made that the Main Event.

I didn't watch any of it yet, but I don't know you could have expected that match to be anything other than trash. I'm assuming it probably did more harm for Reigns and getting him over with the crowd.

Foggy

The Dead or Alive cage match rules have been announced, sounds suitably crazy - basically, there will be 4 flags on top of the cage as per usual, but also the Dream Gate belt. The four competitors (Doi, Shingo, Cyber & Hulk) will have to obtain a flag to gain challenger status, meanwhile the champion YAMATO can't be eliminated and has to try and eliminate his competitors either via pinfall or submission until only one remains. At that point, YAMATO and the sole survivor can try to retrieve the Dream Gate belt to win, while whoever's left in the cage will have to forfeit their hair or their mask.

MAXIMUM
FUCKERY

Menome

So, let's get some Cursetistics up in here. (Bolded is my predicted winner)

NXT Takeover:

Team Tye vs Sanity

Aleister Black vs Andrade Cien Almas

DIY vs The Revival vs Acorn & Raisin

Ember Moon vs Asuka

Bobby Roode vs Nakamura

NXT: 60% cursed.

Wrestlemania:

Austin Aries vs Neville
Braun Strowman in the ARMBAR
Baron Corbin vs Dean Ambrose
AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon
Chris Jericho vs Kevin Owens
Sasha Banks in the 4-Way Elimination
Enzo & Cass for the Tag-Team match
Miz & Maryse vs Cena & Nikki
Seth Rollins vs Triple-HHH
Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton
Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg
Alexa Bliss retaining
Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker

Wrestlemania: 69.2% cursed.

Overall: 66.6% curse-rating

klonere

Banned
The Dead or Alive cage match rules have been announced, sounds suitably crazy - basically, there will be 4 flags on top of the cage as per usual, but also the Dream Gate belt. The four competitors (Doi, Shingo, Cyber & Hulk) will have to obtain a flag to gain challenger status, meanwhile the champion YAMATO can't be eliminated and has to try and eliminate his competitors either via pinfall or submission until only one remains. At that point, YAMATO and the sole survivor can try to retrieve the Dream Gate belt to win, while whoever's left in the cage will have to forfeit their hair or their mask.

Best promotion stays convoluted as fuck.

And winning, ofc.

klonere

Banned
Overall: 66.6% curse-rating

66.6% Cursed is the name of my new throwback black metal album

tumblr_lypa7v6l9D1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Caderfix

Just watched the
Hardys' return
, such a good moment :)

Also, fuck Lesnar, but oh boy is he an impressive human being. I'm not even sure if he actually is one anymore.

I didn't watch any of it yet, but I don't know you could have expected that match to be anything other than trash. I'm assuming it probably did more harm for Reigns and getting him over with the crowd.

Well it was never going to get him over with the crowd, but it could have been a great moment of dominance and instead Reigns just looked pathetic.

Well it was never going to get him over with the crowd, but it could have been a great moment of dominance and instead Reigns just looked pathetic.

By over I didn't mean over like a baby face just more acceptance as a wrestler/performer. I thought taker was slow and boring 15 years ago and seeing him over the last 2-3 years has just made it even worse. Dude should have retired long ago.

klonere

Banned
On a thematic note, I went to see the band Ghost live last night before Wrestlemania. I spied one Triple-HHH shirt in attendance, and bizarrely, one for Final Fantasy VIII.

The Triple H one doesn't surprise me but I didn't even know they made FFVIII shirts. Did it have a gunblade on it?

Caderfix

On a thematic note, I went to see the band Ghost live last night before Wrestlemania. I spied one Triple-HHH shirt in attendance, and bizarrely, one for Final Fantasy VIII.

Wrestling fans, goths, emos, metal heads and gamers are not very far from each other. They all love something that is niche and anytime some element of what they enjoy shows in another medium, they tend to be hooked to that too. So having a now obscure gaming shirt and a wrestling shirt in a Ghost show is not that surprising. I say this as a Mark for wrestling and metal.

shanafan

I did. It was a stacked card, so some of the matches felt a little rushed but I think the show definitely delivered a great performance.

Mania can't be another 7 hours show again?

Like I can't imagine I'll watch it if it is
A year away, at the moment I'd say expect it to be

The roster is so stacked already even with 7 hours there were people that didn't get time or appearances (Joe, Finn). Going to get worse with call ups (Nakamura) and additions (tournament winners)

UberTag

Mania can't be another 7 hours show again?

Like I can't imagine I'll watch it if it is
It's been a 7-hour show each of the past two years. Why would you not expect that trend to continue next year?
What you should be more concerned with is that the best matches of the weekend are being relegated to the NXT Takeover pre-show.

Zach

You guys should really start these events late. Fast-forwarding through two hours worth of filler is a must.

Foggy

Wyatt/Orton was barely 10 minutes. After that HHH wankery and the Pitbull concert, good lord this shit is indefensible.

shanafan

It sounded like the crowd went "Who? Who? Who?" when the National Anthem singer was announced, lol. I know I related with them.

Wrestlemania was twice as long as the amount of sleep I got last night, believe that.

Raw tonight should be something, especially since WWE has fully leaned into the idea of "Raw after Mania is CRAZY!!"

Edit: Highlight of Mania for me is going to be Michael Cole's ridiculous speech about Final Fantasy. THAT was a WrestleMania moment.

ngower

I have been bitching about RAW for months to the point where I was ready to just watch Smackdown and NXT exclusively. I'm not sure it'll be that good tonight, but seeing my favorite wrestler as a kid (Jeff) swanton off a ladder through my favorite wrestler as an adult (in WWE, at least, Cesaro) was enough to pull me back in for at least a few more months. So damn hyped to see those two back in a WWE ring.

Caderfix

I have been bitching about RAW for months to the point where I was ready to just watch Smackdown and NXT exclusively. I'm not sure it'll be that good tonight, but seeing my favorite wrestler as a kid (Jeff) swanton off a ladder through my favorite wrestler as an adult (in WWE, at least, Cesaro) was enough to pull me back in for at least a few more months. So damn hyped to see those two back in a WWE ring.

Same here. I gave up on watching RAW, I've been following up reviews online and such, but now I'll tune in for at least one segment.

Zach

I'm not even kidding. Unless you can't live without the shared social media experience, you're a fool not to start late and fast-forward through the excessive nonsense. I started two hours late and caught up just in time for the main event. And the thing still felt bloated and overly long.

jmdajr

I had a good time watching even though miz/cena, wyatt/orton, and taker/reigns dissappointed me.

Then again, I thought miz/cena would have been even shorter. Surprised Miz even got his shit in.

Meltzer confirmed
Andrade
is coming up this week.

I so called that.

Weird. I can't think of anyone who struggled so much in NXT get over on the main roster. Maybe both he and the WWE are at the 'up or out' stage of their relationship?

I'm not even kidding. Unless you can't live without the shared social media experience, you're a fool not to start late and fast-forward through the excessive nonsense. I started two hours late and caught up just in time for the main event. And the thing still felt bloated and overly long.

Do that for RAW and it works great but the network was such a mess for me last night I'm sure it would have worked. I just started an hour late but wound up missing Neville / Aries live because of it.

shanafan

I had a good time watching even though miz/cena, wyatt/orton, and taker/reigns dissappointed me.

Then again, I thought miz/cena would have been even shorter. Surprised Miz even got his shit in.

I wish Miz would have won, but that would have made him 2-0 against Cena at Wrestlemania.

Top Bottom