• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Mahonay

Banned
This fucker said that orton bray was a great match.
At that point in the show I was just like "well, this is the first match I didn't like, this has been a pretty good Mania so far!". Then the clusterfuck Smackdown Women's match, followed immediately by Taker vs Reigns put me to bed in a shitty mood.

I will say Brock vs Goldberg exceeded my expectations. Also HHH vs Rollins desperately needed hijinks and interference. That match dragged so badly, but the ending sequence was fantastic.

Still can not believe AJ vs Shane was actually a good wrestling match. Super god damn impressive that they pulled that off, crowd was way into it too.

I really can not remember the last time I marked out as hard as I did when the Hardy's came out and then won the tag belts.

I want to watch RAW tonight but I'm not sure how keen the lady will be for me to have more wrestling on tonight after 7+ hours of Mania.

I think it's more that the people backstage need to tell people to not use the sharpshooter unless you can apply it correctly. Cesaro doesn't do a terrible sharpshooter.

Nobody will apply it like the GOAT though

bret_hart_sharpshooter__summer.gif

That gif is perfect because, as ive said before, the Hitman is applying all the pressure on his right thigh! Curt is just being flexible. It takes two to make that move work.

Sephzilla

I'm just having such a deja vu feeling to how WWE was prior to WrestleMania 31
  • Roman Reigns getting pushed through the moon despite fans not liking it
  • Brock Lesnar destroying Cena Goldberg with German Suplexes and F5s to become champ
  • Undertaker taking a loss at WrestleMania

Mahonay

Banned
Miz probably had the best crowd control of the night, aside from everyone losing their shit for the Hardyz, of course.
Crowd was losing their minds for Miz.

I was watching with my buddy that just watches like a couple PPVs a year and that's it, and he was like "people love the Miz!? this is so weird"

Hasney

I think we are stuck with long Wrestlemania's as long as the brand split exists.

I'm whatever about it. It's once a year.

Just watch it later, skipping through is much better.

First half of the main show and Cruiserweight match was good. Guess I'll be watching Raw again until they fuck up the Hardys. At least they had this on WWE so it might be good for a few weeks

https://streamable.com/59697

Brock/Goldberg was what it needed to be too, but the rest though, yeesh. Guess they let you get an early night if you wanted it.

I want to watch RAW tonight but I'm not sure how keen the lady will be for me to have more wrestling on tonight after 7+ hours of Mania.

Mania has become like an annual drink binge for me. Seems like a good idea at the time, but the next day it doesn't seem worth it at all and I can't even face a sniff of the wrassles.

Oh, I nearly forgot but fuck that Battle Royal, fuck that douche dudebro American 'Football' guy nobody in the world outside of the US gives a flying shit about, and most importantly of all fuck Mojo Rawley.

Sephzilla

If Mania is going to continue running 7 hours they should consider moving it to Saturday

I actually didn't think HHH/Rollins was that bad either. The first half of the match was slow but the second half was pretty solid.

cordy

Banned
Ambrose/Corbin was good but suffered because they, like I've been telling yall, had their match cut back due to the fact that this WM had so many non-santioned/hardcore elements surrounding it. They've been cutting guys matches back to favor other matches that need the added help. It's happened in Ambrose's matches before since others (Reigns for example) needs that added stipulation. The fact is Ambrose is so great that he can end pushes if you can't work with him (Strowman's original push/Miz's last IC title/Corbin) and he can beat super-strong guys if they feel he's that guy (Reigns, Rollins and Cena). He's also probably the only guy on the roster who's full-time that Styles can't pin clean.

Dope.

jmdajr

I give props to Brock and Goldberg. I literally jumped out of my seat for that one.

Fuck you bitch take this suplex!
No, Fuck You motherfucker take this spear!

Pre-program the game controller for super moves and go at it.

Some dude said it was like some sort of crazy DBZ fight, except they went final form from the get go.

edit:

Now I know why Goldberg trained like this.
gberghead_zpspjoenfpq.gif

I'm gonna be ready when Brock dumps me on my fucking head!

Triple H vs Rollins picked up in the last five or so minutes. But before that, I didn't care and it looked like the crowd didn't either.

Seth busting out the flip was cool though and Stephanie must have a 'one bump per Wrestlemania when husband is against a Shield member' clause in her contract.

Match also had the annoying thing of Seth selling one minute and completely no selling the next only to go back to selling and then no selling again.

That's great to know. I had no idea people younger than 17 or so would have any attachment to Jeff and Matt, specially with that specific theme. Means there's hope for solo runs.

When he was like 7, he watched all the WWE content on Netflix, so those best-of specials really got him hooked on the Jeff and Matt. This was the first time he's gotten the chance to see them in a modern-day ring.

holy shit I completely forgot Ambrose/Corbin even happened

Our Mania party guests arrived just after the ARMBAR, and as soon as Corbin came out, we all left the room and played with our new piglets out in our barn. Much better activity.

Zach

I thought Goldberg's outta nowhere spear, where Lesnar was looking at the crowd after some Germans was pretty good. Highlight of the match for me.

Ithil

I thought Goldberg's outta nowhere spear, where Lesnar was looking at the crowd after some Germans was pretty good. Highlight of the match for me.

That was actually some superb camerawork for once, Goldberg just appeared out of nowhere when you weren't expecting it.

Hasney

That was actually some superb camerawork for once, Goldberg just appeared out of nowhere when you weren't expecting it.

WWE has some great camera people. They just have people in charge of them yelling to SHAKE THEM CAM TO MAKE IT LOOK VIOLENT a lot.

Back when the Attitude Era was a going concern and people in my circles still admitted they watched the wrassles, everyone loved the Hardys and The Dudleys and hated that Edge & Christian hogged the tag titles 90% of the time.

cordy

Banned
Shane/Styles was great. My favorite match. Besides that the Raw Tag Title match was dope. HHH/Rollins was good too. All the others were mostly good if not some underperforming but overall a decent WM.

Zach

Are Johnny B. Badd and Disco Inferno the greatest, most perfectly mid-card mid-carders of all time or what?

There was a part in the KO/Y2J match where I thought Jericho was going to apply the Lion Tamer... but then he just sat down and did the lame crab instead.

BUT MIND GAMES BY WAY OF DIGITAL HD PROJECTOR AND STOCK FOOTAGE OF VARIOUS INSECTS
Bray should've won that match, he needed it. Orton didn't need it and should've lobbied to put him over.

klonere

Banned
Watching that PPV, live, I would say that was the second-best Mania of all time. There was s just so much great and memorable stuff. I absolutely loved it.

What does it say that one of my only criticisms is that they shoulda closed with Goldberg/Brock?

Edit: in the sake of full disclosure, I was high on edibles from Corbin/Ambrose on.

I cannot imagine how much fun Shane/AJ would have been under the influence.

Once MMAShane appeared my exhausted, sober self started laughing very loudly.

Mahonay

Banned
Shane/Styles was great. My favorite match. Besides that the Raw Tag Title match was dope. HHH/Rollins was good too. All the others were mostly good if not some underperforming but overall a decent WM.
ALL the others? There is one match that certainly warrants being called straight up bad.

Taker vs Reigns was the worst high profile match I've seen at WrestleMania is some time. Just like, GOD DAMN.

Ithil

Back when the Attitude Era was a going concern and people in my circles still admitted they watched the wrassles, everyone loved the Hardys and The Dudleys and hated that Edge & Christian hogged the tag titles 90% of the time.

Well they were the heels. In hindsight E&C were the best of the three.

Tagyhag

Well I just hope the Hardyz are going to be writing their own stuff because I can't IMAGINE what RAW writers think about their gimmick and why it's over.

Well they were the heels. In hindsight E&C were the best of the three.
Yep, indeed they were. I love how Cocky edge and Christian got after they won their first match. Talk about making stars. They had the better mic skills of both teams too. Well Bubba and D-Von could hold their own too but you rarely got it.

cordy

Banned
ALL the others? There is one match that certainly warrants being called straight up bad.

Taker vs Reigns was the worst high profile match I've seen at WrestleMania is some time. Just like, GOD DAMN.

Yeah.

Taker going out like that was a shot to the heart and it shouldn't have happened. That was a bad match. All the others were passable, THAT?

That. Was. A. Bad. Match.

Sephzilla

The Mania crowd going DELETE made me smile too.

Was it worse than HHH/Roman?

Rimfya

Banned
I think we are stuck with long Wrestlemania's as long as the brand split exists.

I'm whatever about it. It's once a year.
If NXT TakeOver didn't already have the "night before" spot they should break it into two shows. You would put all the indie smark spot feats on the first night then the big dog the second.

Hasney

Yeah.

Taker going out like that was a shot to the heart and it shouldn't have happened. That was a bad match. All the others were passable, THAT?

That. Was. A. Bad. Match.

Yeah, he's so broken down at this point I don't think anyone could have carried him to a good match, but AJ could have at least made it passable. Cena wouldn't have blown those strength spots either, so he would have made it better. Shame he went out like that.

Was it worse than HHH/Roman?

Yup

Top Bottom