• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Wouldn't it be more viable to have a few guys at the top rather than putting the whole thing on one person's shoulders? I mean it worked with Hogan, sure, but it's not 1986 anymore.

As others have said, wrestling was never more popular than it was in the AE and you had Austin, Rock, Foley, Taker, Angle (and sometimes Angle and HHH) as over, main event guys.

Even the Ruthless Agression/PG Era, with all of the Cena stuff, still had Orton, Batista, Rey and Punk.

The RA era is the way WWE should be handled. You got whatever shit was going on in Raw with Orton, Cena, Hunter, Batista, whatever and the SD had the workhorses like Angle, Eddie, Rey, Benoit that were allowed to shine by being 'outcasted' to be B show, arguably making it the best of both.

Sort of like what AJ Styles is doing now, all by himself, despite having Cena... and Orton, and a mediocre roster to work with.

Hex

Banned
By this point I've pretty much accepted that Balor is going to basically be Vince's dream. A genuinely over guy who he can push to the fucking moon and the crowds won't boo him for that when he beats everyone clean and says goofy shit in his promos.

Guy might not be super tall but he's Irish so that ticks something off the list of qualifications to get a huge WWE push.

Balor is tiny and has an accent.
Vince's dream? Not really. Not really even close.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I mean Rey outsold nearly everyone on the roster in merch and it took Eddie dying for him to get the big belt

It's pretty funny* how Rey is legit one of the most iconic wrestlers ever and Vince never saw potential in him.

*funny in this example meaning extremely bone-headed

The RA era is the way WWE should be handled. You got whatever shit was going on in Raw with Orton, Cena, Hunter, Batista, whatever and the SD had the workhorses like Angle, Eddie, Rey, Benoit that were allowed to shine by being 'outcasted' to be B show, arguably making it the best of both.

Sort of like what AJ Styles is doing now, all by himself, despite having Cena... and Orton, and a mediocre roster to work with.

Agreed. I find myself watching Smackdown mostly every week, in full, because I care about pretty much everyone on the roster. I just skim through most of the Raws if I even bother watching them at all.

I hope they send some of these rumored NXT callups to SD because if they all go to Raw it's really going to hurt the brand split angle.

jurgen

Balor is tiny and has an accent.
Vince's dream? Not really. Not really even close.

I don't think that Vince's dream is just "big guy."

I think it's best described as "does this guy look like an action figure we can sell?"

In Balor's case, it's yes and yes.

Couldn't save last night's clusterfuck. Not going to blame him for that, but it was weird how the commentary never clicked. Or maybe it did, but by then we were in complete train wreck mode and I never noticed it.

He couldn't but the way he introduced Roman did more to sell the character than 3 years of WWE promotions has.

cordy

Banned
The fact Balor beat Reigns and Rollins clean is enough proof towards how they view the guy. Hell, Owens wasn't even going to win the Universal Title if Balor wasn't hurt. He was going to feud with him, get beaten and then feud with Jericho. Balor was going to hold that belt until Reigns got it this year.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Going on about Rey:

Not having Rey vs Cena for the belt at SummerSlam 2011 while Punk was gone was so fucking stupid.

Two of your biggest stars EVER facing each other for the biggest prize in the main event of your 2nd biggest show. But nah, you had to waste it on a random ass episode of Raw right after Rey won it. Idiots.

Going on about Rey:

Not having Rey vs Cena for the belt at SummerSlam 2011 while Punk was gone was so fucking stupid.

Two of your biggest stars EVER facing each other for the biggest prize in the main event f your 2nd biggest show. But nah, you had to waste it on a random ass episode of Raw right after Rey won it. Idiots.

As little as they thought of Punk, they thought less of Rey by the end of his run

Sephzilla

It's pretty funny* how Rey is legit one of the most iconic wrestlers ever and Vince never saw potential in him.

*funny in this example meaning extremely bone-headed

It's funny how WWE always calls out how WCW never gave its undercard talent opportunities yet WWE frequently did the exact same thing

Guzim

Going on about Rey:

Two of your biggest stars EVER facing each other for the biggest prize in the main event of your 2nd biggest show. But nah, you had to waste it on a random ass episode of Raw right after Rey won it. Idiots.

But then that would have never led to the HHH-Kevin Nash feud.

Ithil

WWE filed some new trademarks for names, and most of them are just NXT names including Ohno and others, but two of them are interesting, Eric Young and Roderick Strong. So those two have given up their names to WWE in order to keep using them there. Young makes sense, at his age this is really his last major run and he seems to be in a solid spot with Sanity, but Strong surprises me, they're not doing much with him so far and he may very well wind up back in the indies down the road, sans his name.

Hex

Banned
Vince has his Hardy Boyz again. He doesn't give a shit about Reigns and Balor's merch sales lol

Vince could not care less about the Hardys except for the fact that now he has them and others do not.
Matt is 100% responsible for making the Hardys a big deal.

Hex

Banned
Little side thing...
Kallisto's mask which was totally wasted in the Royal last night, was special made by Tom Savini

Sephzilla

Vince could not care less about the Hardys except for the fact that now he has them and others do not.
Matt is 100% responsible for making the Hardys a big deal.

Well to be fair I think the Hardys also really wanted to go back to WWE

Toki767

Huge missed opportunity for Rollins to not come to the ring dressed as Jamie Lannister by the way.

He was almost dressed the part.

Top Bottom