• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Caderfix

I can't wait to see Finn Bálor doing all of his "modern interpretive dancing" entrance thing while JBL goes "He loves to have fun, Maggle!".

lol what kind of marks do you think we are? I don't really give a fuck who holds the imaginary championships as long as they give me a reason to be invested in their story. That's the problem with Reigns, there's ZERO investment for a lot of us. The bad writing and booking is directly connected to that. When they don't tell stories, we have to make them for ourselves. And guys fighting for the belt is pretty much all we get these days.

In NXT, The Revival were certainly not my favorite tag team, but they got me invested. And that's what I want out of pro wrestling.

Also I really don't think one huge pop at Mania is worth making the talent that will actually be there the other 365 days of the year look weak as hell.

I wasn't speaking to this OT. It's just reading other peoples impressions of the current state of affairs.

Nxt also is developmental for the main roster which is hurting for new talent, people like joe and Balor should been on the roster by now. While people like crew and corbin needs to stay down there to get better.

Working against who?

Having great workers like that down in developmental helps the people that need it get better faster. IMHO that's why they hired people like Joe and Austin to NXT.

thefro

Meltzer's making the mistake of the "state of NXT" thing in focusing on who's the most ready as opposed to "how will this call-up help the WWE?"

NXT sorely needs a dedicated coach just for promos.

That was basically Dusty's role in NXT.

I think they have someone else doing it now (Regal, maybe?)

TraBuch

Banned
I'm watching Starrcade 96 and the opening match is Ultimo Dragon vs Dean Malenko and while I've heard of both, this is the first time I've ever actually seen either wrestle and they're fucking fantastic. I need to do some research and find their best matches.

Mahonay

Banned
Nxt also is developmental for the main roster which is hurting for new talent, people like joe and Balor should been on the roster by now. While people like crew and corbin needs to stay down there to get better.
Cesaro is back. Cena and Rollins are back next month. Roster will be in ok shape very soon.

They are not going to leave NXT with no big draws after doing all of that work over the past couple of years. HHH will make sure of that most likely. NXT is still rebuilding from the other guys and girls getting called up.

And guys like Finn and Joe are probably only a month or two from getting the call.

Patience friend.

I'm watching Starrcade 96 and the opening match is Ultimo Dragon vs Dean Malenko and while I've heard of both, this is the first time I've ever actually seen either wrestle and they're fucking fantastic. I need to do some research and find their best matches.

Oh man. Are you in for a lot of great wrestling.

Who are the 10 above him

I don't think he's that far down the list, but I'd definitely put Joe, Balor, Nakamura, Jordan & Gable, and Aries above him.

Though I understand that it's not a simple process of just calling up the best guys. NXT is still a touring brand to a degree.

Striker

The Iceman is a treat to watch all the time, pal.

Mahonay

Banned
I wasn't speaking to this OT. It's just reading other peoples impressions of the current state of affairs.
Gotch ya. I think fans in general are just angry with the main product and don't understand why exactly, so they focus on whatever they think will be the magic pill that will suddenly make things good again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Meltzer's making the mistake of the "state of NXT" thing in focusing on who's the most ready as opposed to "how will this call-up help the WWE?"
That's the winning answer, there. You get it.

That's the winning answer, there. You get it.

I think for the most part, calling up guys as you need them and filling spots is the right way to do it. But in the case of a guy like Nakamura, who is so clearly more talented than 95% of your roster, you make room for him no matter what that takes because he's too good to not be used on the main roster.

Joe never 'needed' time in developmental. That's not why he's there. He's been 'ready' for the main roster since his NXT debut. But he's there to help build their developmental talent.

Mahonay

Banned
Joe, balor, Dash ,Scott , chad, Jason,baley, nakamura, aksua
When have you ever known modern WWE to make fast and sudden changes? Everything happens at a snail's pace and is usually disappointing when they finally get where we wanted to be.

They are not going to just fill up the current roster with all of the NXT stars at once. It's not how things are being done at all right now and never has been.

Heroman

Banned
When have you ever known modern WWE to make fast and sudden changes? Everything happens at a snail's pace and is usually disappointing when they finally get where we wanted to be.

They are not going to just fill up the current roster with all of the NXT stars at once. It's not how things are being done at all right now and hasn't ever been.

I not saying these guys should all be brought up at the same time , well maybe the tag team. I just saying those guy should have been called up before corbin.

Mahonay

Banned
He does share a huge flaw with Neville. They have no personality. The performers are good, but the characters are boring.
Crews does have the charisma going at least. Hopefully he'll build some kind of personality/persona from there.
I not saying these guys should all be brought up at the same time , well maybe the tag team. I just saying those guy should have been called up before corbin.
Corbin was more ready than you think IMO.

Being able to talk is a pretty huge part of being in the main roster, Corbin has that while a lot of the other NXT talent does not. They are short on strong heels in the main roster, it makes sense that they called on Corbin to help shore that up.

Cagey

Banned
I think for the most part, calling up guys as you need them and filling spots is the right way to do it. But in the case of a guy like Nakamura, who is so clearly more talented than 95% of your roster, you make room for him no matter what that takes because he's too good to not be used on the main roster.

You don't bring up Shinsuke Nakamura unless there's a definitive plan that maximizes that asset in a way that helps WWE. Otherwise he's there to have some good matches with randoms. What's the point? He's not waltzing straight into the main event scene. AJ Styles getting a title shot after two months is very fast, and yet still wasn't fast enough for some because he didn't win the Rumble.

Owens and Zayn have their mandatory storyline to get through before one can get the IC title and provide Nakamura a couple of fantastic opponents and a championship to strive towards.

Mahonay

Banned
They are better than 99% of roster in term of wrestler, in ring story telling, and charisma.
I'm happy they are in the WWE system at all and are getting good treatment in NXT.

I think you're setting your expectations of what WWE should do with them wayyy too high.

For the record Nakamura is my favorite wrestler on the planet.

Heroman

Banned
Crews does have the charisma going at least. Hopefully he'll build some kind of personality/persona from there.

Corbin was more ready than you think IMO.

Being able to talk is a pretty huge part of being in the main roster, Corbin has that while a lot of the other NXT talent does not. They are short on strong heels in the main roster, it makes sense that they called on Corbin to help shore that up.

WWE have plenty of good heel on the main roster they just book terrible which cobrin will suffer the same fate and probably worst. And also in term of heel joe should have been the first choice if wwe wanted strong heel.

Mahonay

Banned
WWE have plenty of good heel on the main roster they just book terrible which cobrin will suffer the same fate and probably worst. And also in term of heel joe should have been the first choice if wwe wanted strong heel.
He's big and tall. Vince will push him.

You don't bring up Shinsuke Nakamura unless there's a definitive plan that maximizes that asset in a way that helps WWE. Otherwise he's there to have some good matches with randoms. What's the point? He's not waltzing straight into the main event scene. AJ Styles getting a title shot after two months is very fast, and yet still wasn't fast enough for some because he didn't win the Rumble.

Owens and Zayn have their mandatory storyline to get through before one can get the IC title and provide Nakamura a couple of fantastic opponents and a championship to strive towards.

That's my point. When you have a guy that talented, you make him a top priority. If you don't have a plan to bring him up and make him matter, then you put a ton of resources towards making a plan and executing it ASAP.

Sephzilla

Care to elaborate? Not saying you're wrong, just curious

In terms of ready for WWE, as in what WWE will want out of them, they're not ready. Asuka would be dead in the water on the main roster given that I haven't heard her cut a single good promo in NXT yet. Nakamura will be fine but I think he needs a few more NXT matches under his belt.

For the record Asuka is one of my favorite wrestlers right now and I'm high as fuck on Nakamura after the Zayn match. But lets not jump the gun here and say they should be on the main roster yet.

Mahonay

Banned
That's my point. When you have a guy that talented, you make him a top priority. If you don't have a plan to bring him up and make him matter, then you put a ton of resources towards making a plan and executing it ASAP.
I agree. But that's not the WWE that exists today. They stick to the existing status quo 95 percent of the time, and the other 5 percent they'll take a risk on something fresh. WWE going all in with Nak just doesn't feel realistic to me.

thefro

You nailed it.

Also all those folks, even if they could go to the main roster day one have stuff they can improve upon in NXT so it's not wasted time. Samoa Joe's in better shape and cuts better promos now than when he signed. Nakamura needs to work on his English, adjusting to the WWE ring/style, and the different hard cameras. He would be okay if he went up day one but his odds are better after a few months in NXT.

Those wrestlers help out the younger workers who get to work with experienced vets (Joe really helped Corbin) and they put butts in seats. They also get over with the NXT crowd which gets them more well-known when they debut on the main roster.

Finally, HHH is signing this talent and not Vince, so the rest of the brass has to get sold on the performers being worthwhile. For instance, from what was reported WWE had no plans for a main roster run for Joe initially but that's changed after they saw the reactions he gets, the merch he sells, and the type of work he does in NXT. If Joe & Nakamura are selling tons of stuff and getting big reactions it's going to be harder for Vince to justify burying them since they don't fit his 80s wrestler mold.

I agree. But that's not the WWE that exists today. They stick to the existing status quo 95 percent of the time, and the other 5 percent they'll take a risk on something fresh. WWE going all in with Nak just doesn't feel realistic to me.

Well the point of discussion wasn't "what will WWE do", it's "what WWE should do/should have done".

bjork

I think mornings are when WrassleGAF turns into Reddit.

Late night/early morning is the best. We never argue cause we're busy being badass.

usually it's just me on nights off

Did you get his autograph? He touched The Miz so he's worth more than he was last week.

If you shook Miz's hand, Miz touches Maryse so it's like you indirectly touched Maryse. This dude should sell handshakes as part of his gimmick.

Dean Malenko might be the most underrated wrestler of all time. Guy is simply amazing. Skip the wwe ultimo dragon stuff, he didn't do as good there.

Caderfix

Asuka could work without any promos. She is likeable, her moves look great and she's charismatic. They just need to make her a beast that just shows up to destroy other wrestler.

From all the NXT current talent, she's the one I see being over with both the fans and creative team.

Cagey

Banned

I agree with that: if you have someone immensely talented, you make them a priority. But you can do that while also acknowledging this:

You nailed it.

Also all those folks, even if they could go to the main roster day one have stuff they can improve upon in NXT so it's not wasted time. Samoa Joe's in better shape and cuts better promos now than when he signed. Nakamura needs to work on his English, adjusting to the WWE ring/style, and the different hard cameras. He would be okay if he went up day one but his odds are better after a few months in NXT.

Nakamura with a half year in NXT, getting used to all the particulars about American wrestling as a television product, improving his English, shedding a couple percentage points off that bodyfat, and really honing his act for WWE audiences/television can only help him.

If anything, the prioritized fast track you should want for Nakamura is him running straight into the NXT title picture. He doesn't even need to win, but it would further cement him as a Big Deal with the crowd that will ultimately drive his initial popularity.

Past

I just realized that they never said that AJ Style's title match would be at Payback and that Triple H still has his rematch clause. This means AJ Style will get squashed on RAW and we will get Roman Reigns Vs Triple H II at Payback.

Anth0ny

Asuka could work without any promos. She is likeable, her moves look great and she's charismatic. They just need to make her a beast that just shows up to destroy other wrestler.

From all the NXT current talent, she's the one I see being over with both the fans and creative team.

dunnx6pqb.jpg

"she's japanese vince no one wants to see a japanese woman they want eva marie"

UberTag

NXT with no Balor will just be TNA lite with Joey Samoey, Bobby Rooo, and Aries.
Perhaps Styles can visit to work a program with his old TNA buddies after he's done making Roman look strong.

I just realized that they never said that AJ Style's title match would be at Payback and that Triple H still has his rematch clause. This means AJ Style will get squashed on RAW and we will get Roman Reigns Vs Triple H II at Payback.
Triple H has unlimited rematch clauses. He's the boss.
The fact that he did nothing to stand in the way of Styles being named #1 contender means he could care less about taking the belt away from Roman right now.
Does that fly in the face of everything he did prior to Mania? Of course. But this is WWE logic. Don't think too hard. It was just an exercise to get Roman over.

Sephzilla

Pair Asuka with Heyman and make the transformation into Female Lesnar complete

lol. Dave gave Shane/Taker 2.5 stars

He was being extremely fair considering Kota Ibushi's instant classic against an empty costume of an evil toucan cereal mascot got the same amount of stars

Top Bottom