• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

DMczaf

Started watching WCW in 1998, so my only knowledge of him during the 90s was his run in WWF as the Allied Powers, and as the Narcissist.

Basically, they had him win every week for like 2 years straight and somehow...he was extremely over because of this. Huge ass pops every week.

Fox318

Cfp4gjmXEAAy1a2.jpg
That is fucking awesome.

I love this Corbin squashing indies gimmick.

I hope he is calling members of the audience fat and ugly like at takeover.

Nah, the bad stuff only tends to happen to the companies. Seeing as how it's WWE-related, and Seth's coming back that month, my guess is he's going to immediately reinjure himself and be out for the year #Pray4DM
I'm trying not to laugh at this but it's funny for some reason.

Bjork, what game were you playing btw?

Lex Luger was actually a really deep character when he came back to WCW in 1995. He wasn't a heel (he slapped hands with fans on the way to the ring, etc.), but he clearly wasn't going to be a babyface bro to Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. Despite that, Sting was clearly going to stay Luger's friend no matter what. Hogan and Savage would get furious with Sting about Luger, but they never got physical.

Whenever the Dungeon of Doom would attack the babyfaces (even Sting), Luger would never come out to help. When Luger was out there and they attacked, they never once put their hands on Luger and just ignored him.

Then he aligned with Jimmy Hart, who was also with the Dungeon after turning on Hogan, but Luger wanted nothing to do with the Dungeon.

Then he won the tag titles with Sting and wrestled like a heel, but acted like Sting's genuine best friend in the world. All the while when he wasn't tagging with Sting, he was managed by Jimmy Hart still in singles matches.

For about 6 months, there was a well-built tension between everybody wondering if Luger, who was clearly against Hogan and Savage in a professional way (he never attacked them backstage or with the Dungeon or anything like that) but was Sting's best friend, would eventually explode and go total heel on everyone. But he never did. Then the nWo thing started and all of his heel/face ambiguity went away once it was clear he wasn't the mysterious "third man."

Even worse than December to Dismember 2006?

No. But I don't count that as ECW.

some wrestling game that showed up in the top-grossing list of the JP app store. I already uninstalled it, it was like 1.3GB. I need room for other stuff, heh.
1.3 hell no. I'll pass. I should get a fire pro game since I have the emulators on my phone.

This should be s great conversation starter but what's the biggest wrestling mystery, you'd love to have solved?

Mine, Brody's death. I stumble upon this topic a lot and I often push it back at times due to its spooky nature when researching.

As you all know many people suspect that Carlos Colon had something to do with it, well I just read something that has kinda helped me make up my mind that he knows what happened.

shaowebb

Just saw Nakamura vs Blake at WWE AXXESS on youtube. Holy shit Nakamura its okay to just squash someone when they're that fucking lazy. 2 minutes before he'd even lock hands and 6 minutes before he did his first move and a pin attempt after both of the 2 moves he did? Heck he went for a rope break on an arm wringer instead of even doing a back and forth.

Dude was shit. Nakamura should've just squashed and walked if all the guy was gonna add to the match was rest spots and dull. If you can't respond to universal spots fed to you to do a little bit of back and forth then dont fucking try to expect the other guy to put them over. Bury them. One of the first things I was taught to protect the quality of your matches is don't let a jobber dictate your pace. They either learn to keep up or can get left behind.

bjork

Pretty sure it was that Macho wanted to wrestle and Vince wanted him to stay retired. Vince even wished him luck on TV when he left.

There are so many theories. The stephanie thing, the "vince got mad because macho took the slim jim sponsorship with him" and so on.

It would seem strange that he didn't want Macho to be wrestling despite his reputation for being top-tier, yet giving Lawler/Piper a main event in the same year and bringing Jake back in for another go-round. I would imagine it's a mixture of things, but I suppose nowadays, only Vince can say for sure.

FyreWulff

There are so many theories. The stephanie thing, the "vince got mad because macho took the slim jim sponsorship with him" and so on.

It would seem strange that he didn't want Macho to be wrestling despite his reputation for being top-tier, yet giving Lawler/Piper a main event in the same year and bringing Jake back in for another go-round. I would imagine it's a mixture of things, but I suppose nowadays, only Vince can say for sure.

I really think it's the simple explanation here. JR has explained the entire reason they wanted him off Raw was that they don't want the announcing to sound "too Southern". Vince just makes edicts like that, and it's it.

Vince made his decision, wasn't going to let the talent out of it, Macho let his contract run out and signed with WCW so he could wrestle again. I believe he was the only wrestler that got well wished when they left by Vince.

Pretty sure it was that Macho wanted to wrestle and Vince wanted him to stay retired. Vince even wished him luck on TV when he left.

That doesn't explain why macho was never brought back when it seemed like Vince was bringing everyone he passed off back.

Even the Meltz doesn't rule out the infamous rumours as the real reason.

I could also easily see it as a rumour that got out of hand that was based on something else entirely. Maybe Savage just never wanted to return to the E after wcw died and wanted to lay low and retire for real

Savitar

As mentioned by a poster on reddit highlights from Paige at Wizard World Q&A

Paige admitted she doesn't know what wwe is doing with her character and doesn't know what's direction she's going in.

Doesn't know if she's a heel or face, etc. Then when she said she had to catch a flight to raw, she said how she doesn't know if they'll have her wrestle.

Her favourite women to work with are Sasha, Emma, AJ and Nikki.

Someone asked about an intergender match and she said definitely Seth, she loves him and can't wait for him to return. She also mentioned Dean. Then she mentioned the Wyatts as possible partners.

Question - If there was anything you could change about the womens division what would it be?
She said more storylines, which is when she said there were some coming. "There are storylines coming that you guys will see."

She loves the new Women's belt.

the legit reason for Macho/Vince fallout.
I think it was the combination of

Vince had a battle royal with old timers and it featured a lot of his fathers friends. Randy asked Vince to include his dad and Vince didn't. That was the beginning. Randy's brother said that he's a big family man and for all that he had done for Vince, he asked of one small favour and Vince wouldn't do it. Randy started to do things for himself after that moment, fuck the company.

Next, the new gen movement. As you know how that went, well Randy wanted to wrestle and he wanted one big program with big HBK then he was going to go retire and go to the desk for good. Vince pushed it away and Randy hated how Vince kept putting an emphasis on "old".

So on Vince's end, I think it had to do with them being so class. They were family close and Randy walked away from him. Vince allowed him in his home to stay, Randy was like an uncle to Steph and Shane. Then for him to leave out on Vince, Vince took it personal.

So that's when he did the Nacho Man shit and Randy's bro said he really really hated. That was almost the final straw on Randy's half. He was sensitive about his age and his looks. They made fun of his bald head lol.

So they were actually trying to bring him back, there was superstar hotline rumour about this. I forgot which survivor series it was, I think it was 96', they were trying to get Randy back but instead they got Snuka.

So it's a personal problem within that caused them to break up. Like Lex Luger, he just jumped and left Vince high and dry. You know it should've been Lex inducting Sting, noy Flair but Vince is still hurt over that.

I don't think the Stephanie rumour is true.

FyreWulff

That doesn't explain why macho was never brought back when it seemed like Vince was bringing everyone he passed off back.

Even the Meltz doesn't rule out the infamous rumours as the real reason.

I could also easily see it as a rumour that got out of hand that was based on something else entirely. Maybe Savage just never wanted to return to the E after wcw died and wanted to lay low and retire for real

I think Macho would have gotten back eventually. I think Warrior coming back thawed a lot of the relationships, because Vince was showing he'd shake hands with anyone again.

At the time, IIRC, Macho was focusing on obtaining and licensing Gorgeous George footage and merchandise because he loved the shit out of him.

WM 20 Randy and Hogan wanted to do something kinda like a good bye to their generation. Vince turned it down. I'll see if I can find the website I read this on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The case has been laid out pretty well going by some disturbing things Macho Man said in various forms, the fact that Vince wouldn't even hear about it when he tried to talk to him in 1996 and 2001+, a couple of things Stephanie and HHH have said. There's fire with all that smoke.

Fact is Vince has worked with murderers and rapists before when it made him money, why not Macho Man? He was literally the second biggest nostalgia act around in the early 2000's.

Hrmmmm what if Brody actually was able to sabotage Mania like it's said he was going to? If they did a movie on the true story of Mania would they talk about what lead to the idea, the day of, etc? I don't understand that one.

dream

Posting a comment on how shitty Becky Lynch's persona is once or twice a month isn't more weird than constantly posting gifs of Becky Lynch. Lets be honest, now.

I mean, if people insist on posting Becky gifs as if she is the greatest on Earth, I am perfectly within my rights to comment on her fakeness and shitty gimmick, I refuse to be silenced.

Aii, as you've undoubtedly seen over the years, instead of arguing contrary positions, wrestling gaf likes to silence dissenting opinions. Often times they do so by accusing dissenters of being "gimmick posters." This is an incredibly intellectually-lazy strategy, and I think it stems from the fact that wrestling gaffers believe they are tastemakers when it comes to pro wrestling, and opinions that run contrary to theirs could potentially undermine their positions as "experts" in pro wrestling.

NeoGAF is not a hivemind, but wrestling gaf certainly is. Stand your ground, my friend,

Jashobeam

Just saw Nakamura vs Blake at WWE AXXESS on youtube. Holy shit Nakamura its okay to just squash someone when they're that fucking lazy. 2 minutes before he'd even lock hands and 6 minutes before he did his first move and a pin attempt after both of the 2 moves he did? Heck he went for a rope break on an arm wringer instead of even doing a back and forth.

Dude was shit. Nakamura should've just squashed and walked if all the guy was gonna add to the match was rest spots and dull. If you can't respond to universal spots fed to you to do a little bit of back and forth then dont fucking try to expect the other guy to put them over. Bury them. One of the first things I was taught to protect the quality of your matches is don't let a jobber dictate your pace. They either learn to keep up or can get left behind.

pretty sure that was just a friendly exhibition match for wrestlemania axxcess, not for the nxt show itself, don't think they would go all out for something like that.

Apparently Hell Angels showed up at WM 1 and demanded to be seated. Linda McMahon sat them backstage since there weren't any extra seats.

Fuck, I just want to sit down with Vince and have him spill every secret to me.

Fox318

That video just reminded me that when motivated Orton may be the best pro wrestler alive now.

Imagine him letting lose of his work rate in a NJPW or even NXT?

dream

It's not real, shaowebb.

dream

That video just reminded me that when motivated Orton may be the best pro wrestler alive now.

Imagine him letting lose of his work rate in a NJPW or even NXT?

Yes. I've been saying for years that RKO is the best pro wrestler in the world, just slightly ahead of Shinsuke Nakamura. But the wrestling gaf hivemind just accuses me of gimmick posting because he's not an indie darling.

Top Bottom