• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Fox318

The awesome chants started from one of the live audio wrestling people mocking tna.

Its the 2nd worst chant behind what.

"WE ARE AWESOME" and "WE ARE IDIOTS" especially

Zach

My first project with the WWE Network was to watch every single WCW ppv in reverse chronological order.

My second was to watch the New Generation 1993-1998. I stalled out on KOTR 1993 for nearly 20 days because my set rule was that anytime I fell asleep during a PPV I'd go back and watch from where I nodded off again. It was the same place every time, Tatanka versus Lex Luger. 15 minute time limit draw because both dudes had undefeated gimmicks. So...fucking...boring.
Haha, amazing.

I'd love to hear how that reverse WCW PPV run went, by the way. Good time?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I watched a 20 minute Tatanka match from this past January, he surprisingly wasn't blown up by the end of it - of course, there was no need for a match that length, dude could have just done the greatest hits and called it a night, but I appreciated that he clearly wanted to give the fans more than a nostalgia match.
That's really cool. What promotion?

MC Safety

If you're at the wrestling matches and you're not yelling for them to bring on the midgets, you should keep your big yapper shut.

The only appropriate chant, ever, is:

Big Boss Man ... Cobb County, Georgia ... Big Boss Man ... Cobb County, Georgia.

It is also acceptable to yell out and demand a ruling from Jack Tunney.

If you're at the wrestling matches and you're not yelling for them to bring on the midgets, you should keep your big yapper shut.

The only appropriate chant, ever, is:

Big Boss Man ... Cobb County, Georgia ... Big Boss Man ... Cobb County, Georgia.

It is also acceptable to yell out and demand a ruling from Jack Tunney.
I think it's about time we got another real authority figure like Bossman on TV. I told you, these characters are so bland now giving them a gimmick from your everyday occupations would work.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Haha, amazing.

I'd love to hear how that reverse WCW PPV run went, by the way. Good time?

I started it the day the network launched and finished it sometime in summer 2014 after my second nephew was born.

I'd say it was genuinely positive, and not as spoilery as you'd imagine going backwards.

Now I was most familiar with 1998-2001 WCW which is part of the reason I started there but I had only actually seen a few of the PPVs live and was never one for buying or renting tapes/dvds, so I knew what happened at most of these events but never saw them. I really like the three 2001 ppvs despite their warts. 2000 is a bananas year. 1999 is pretty bad. 1998 has some of the best and worst matches. 1997 is the best year of WCW ppvs. 1996 has great openers and shitty upper and mid cards. 1995 has the amazing Halloween Havoc, the epitome of so bad its actually awesome PPVs. 1994 is a period of two halves, post hogan with shit like Austin losing in 18 seconds to Hacksaw and pre hogan where the undercard is good but the main event is worthless. 1993 is the year where the production values change for the better and its fun when Flair shows up and then you see what the product is without him. 1992/pre flair 1993 is actually their best wrestling year ever but man does it look like shit. 1991 is the year when all the fun stuff with flair goes down.

Some of my highlights/lowlights include when the Nasty Boys had a stranglehold on the PPV scene, half an hour of most shows is devoted to these gas bags. Seeing the NWO get smaller as it went along is cool. Watching the size of the crowds morph during the boom period, plus the rapid set changes in the last few years. Bret losing to Lex is the absolute worst thing ever. Macho Man's infrequent runs in the last few years. The announce team shifting. The glaring pre/post Bischoff changes to lighting and presentation. The astounding popularity of Lex Luger after coming back from WWF and his long term relationship with Sting. Sting's incredible relationship with Flair and the horsemen getting duped by them once every other year or so. The Dungeon of Doom/Faces of Fear morphing.

That's really cool. What promotion?

4FW, they're a regional promotion down south here in the UK - the show also had a fantastic Kenny Omega vs Mark Haskins match, plus Drago vs Pentagon Jr. (although they had travel problems and made it to the show late, so it was perhaps understandably not their best encounter).

Zach

I love a loud and energetic crowd, I just wish they were a bit more inventive with their chants! "THIS IS AWESOME" and "THIS IS WRESTLING" need to die - you don't need to state how awesome a match is if the collective crowd are already losing their shit. Also, I sometimes find on the indies that you get a match with guys people like, but it's not really as great as people were expecting and some of the crowd feel almost obliged to try and offer a "THIS IS AWESOME" chant for the work being put in, even if everyone (the wrestlers included) can tell that the match just isn't clicking.
Mmhmm, mmhmm.

I started it the day the network launched and finished it sometime in summer 2014 after my second nephew was born.

I'd say it was genuinely positive, and not as spoilery as you'd imagine going backwards.

Now I was most familiar with 1998-2001 WCW which is part of the reason I started there but I had only actually seen a few of the PPVs live and was never one for buying or renting tapes/dvds, so I knew what happened at most of these events but never saw them. I really like the three 2001 ppvs despite their warts. 2000 is a bananas year. 1999 is pretty bad. 1998 has some of the best and worst matches. 1997 is the best year of WCW ppvs. 1996 has great openers and shitty upper and mid cards. 1995 has the amazing Halloween Havoc, the epitome of so bad its actually awesome PPVs. 1994 is a period of two halves, post hogan with shit like Austin losing in 18 seconds to Hacksaw and pre hogan where the undercard is good but the main event is worthless. 1993 is the year where the production values change for the better and its fun when Flair shows up and then you see what the product is without him. 1992/pre flair 1993 is actually their best wrestling year ever but man does it look like shit. 1991 is the year when all the fun stuff with flair goes down.

Some of my highlights/lowlights include when the Nasty Boys had a stranglehold on the PPV scene, half an hour of most shows is devoted to these gas bags. Seeing the NWO get smaller as it went along is cool. Watching the size of the crowds morph during the boom period, plus the rapid set changes in the last few years. Bret losing to Lex is the absolute worst thing ever. Macho Man's infrequent runs in the last few years. The announce team shifting. The glaring pre/post Bischoff changes to lighting and presentation. The astounding popularity of Lex Luger after coming back from WWF and his long term relationship with Sting. Sting's incredible relationship with Flair and the horsemen getting duped by them once every other year or so. The Dungeon of Doom/Faces of Fear morphing.

Love hearing about this. I just started Nitro/PPVs and am at Halloween Havoc 95 right now. I'm kind of regretting not starting from the beginning of what's available.

bjork

While I do agree with you that people can chant (mostly) anything I just can't understand the mentality. I've been to sporting events all around Europe and never have I heard a chant like "We are awesome", a chant for a retired/dead player or a beach ball. Just the idea of bringing a beach ball to an event when tickets are so expensive does not paint a good picture of said person imo, 100% trying to ruin the event and/or seeking attention. How is it in sports in the US, do you hear those chants or is just wrestling?

I get its more show then a real sport but that can't surely be the reason?

Dan did later admit having a giant cutout of his face was a dumb thing and was kind of embarassed about it.

It's more about me being kinda tired of Dan's shtick than it is being pro-chants. I don't really like chants either.

Dan seems like a generally cool dude when he isn't fishing for attention with the whole "look at how annoying I can be" thing. But he'll grow out of it.

Zach

Very interesting. Thanks for the write-up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Love hearing about this. I just started Nitro/PPVs and am at Halloween Havoc 95 right now. I'm kind of regretting not starting from the beginning of what's available.

Very interesting. Thanks for the write-up.

If you just want to see the best and the best of the worst I'd go something like this, though I know Zach watches it all.

The Very Best:

WrestleWar
Superbrawl
WrestleWar II
Superbrawl III
Halloween Havoc 1993
Starrcade 1993
Great American Bash 1996
Bash at the Beach 1996
Spring Stampede 1997
Superbrawl VIII

The Best of the Worst:

Halloween Havoc 1995. It's like KOTR 1995 only insanely enjoyable.
Uncensored 1995.
Sin

The Worst of the Worst:

Bash at the Beach 1995. The worst PPV on the network.

He'd probably get cheered over Reigns.
Hell yeah he was a good looking built man. That's all your crowd wanted back then.

Tom%2BMagee_01.jpg

Wait wwe has the weekly shows before Nitro too? Or did you just watch the ppvs?
New monsoon classic drops

https://twitter.com/Monsoon_Classic/status/719268639980052481?s=09

Including heat, and wcw pro wrestling

Enjoy crash holly vs low ki

https://youtu.be/PQPdEBgZgd4
Does he have all of the Heats?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Back when I started in 2014 there were no Nitros. By the time I finished that and moved onto the New Generation the Raws were up for 1993/1995, so I watched those and took a break everytime I ran out of shows. I stopped last summer with 1997 and watched Nitro 1995-1997 to make up for it. Next time I do a big wrestling kick I'll do 1998 WWF/Nitro. Probably 1999 and 2000 by that point as well.

I've also seen every single Nitro from April 1998 to the end back when they first aired and have a great memory for useless stuff like that, so it's not a big deal right now.

The Worst of the Worst:

Bash at the Beach 1995. The worst PPV on the network.

I just watched some of this the other week. Hogan/Vader is exactly what I expected, meaning, what I dislike most in wrestling.

Thanks for the recs.

I actually don't think Dungeon of Doom is a terrible idea. It's purpose is to be fodder for Hogan and, as someone who hates the Hulk Hogan character, this is the type of stuff I can tolerate him with. It's the same thing I said during my Mania main event marathon, where he works best in cartoony and ridiculous situations. When you actually put him in something that has real interesting drama (Savage or Andre) then his presence hurts more than helps (as far as story goes).

And of course, that's what makes his heel turn so great.

But right now as he's mustache-less and decked out in #AllBlackEverything it's like watching some hilarious mid-life crisis.

Back when I started in 2014 there were no Nitros. By the time I finished that and moved onto the New Generation the Raws were up for 1993/1995, so I watched those and took a break everytime I ran out of shows. I stopped last summer with 1997 and watched Nitro 1995-1997 to make up for it. Next time I do a big wrestling kick I'll do 1998 WWF/Nitro. Probably 1999 and 2000 by that point as well.
Damn, the dark ages of the network. I totally wasn't too invested in it at its launch as it was very buggy and slow. I couldn't rewind nor fast forward through events.

RBH

As far as WCW in 1999 goes, Spring Stampede '99 is probably their absolute peak for the company as a whole before everything starts to fall off a cliff.

Hey guys, what are some good shoot interviews that talks about the business from the time period of late 80s through the early 2000s?

I want something that will make me say, damn, I didn't know that.

Come to think of it, is Mike Quackenbush a huge DoD mark and that's why he made CHIKARA?

Hey guys, what are some good shoot interviews that talks about the business from the time period of late 80s through the early 2000s?

I want something that will make me say, damn, I didn't know that.

Haven't watched many but Scott Hall's shoots are great.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just go in reminding yourself that all wrestlers and bookers are liars and that making up shit is what they do. I'm not saying actors are any better when it comes to interviews like this.

In fact one of the only even remotely objective takes on wrestling I can think of is Bret Hart. While his writing is self centered if you look at what he claims it seems to be accurate at least on the things you can verify with a video recording, i.e. matches.

JavyOO7

Network has late 1985 NWA World Championship Wrestling up to September 87. I can't wait when the show changes from NWA WCW to WCW Saturday Night. I just hope WWE keeps uploading the stuff...

it's no conspiracy, it's the truth

he was supposed to headline wm3 etc

You know which ones are fun, are the guest booker ones and the timeline ones.
They call it the conspiracy shoot idk why.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ZzwAqA&usg=AFQjCNF3PcWrw1Y7JRHxeibVd4DQAPHdZQ

Just go in reminding yourself that all wrestlers and bookers are liars and that making up shit is what they do. I'm not saying actors are any better when it comes to interviews like this.

In fact one of the only even remotely objective takes on wrestling I can think of is Bret Hart. While his writing is self centered if you look at what he claims it seems to be accurate at least on the things you can verify with a video recording, i.e. matches.
Bret comes off very bitter but like I said, you can see what he's talking about later own for yourself. Like Mania for instance. He's a very good wrestling mind.

I dislike Heenan so much in Nitro.
He was on cruise control. When he left wwe, he was content on being finished. Then they called him up, gave him a big payday, and told him he wasn't travelling. The rest is history. He wasn't afraid to say if something was disappointing on air because the veterans could smell that wCw was in trouble before it was starting to show. That's sad.

Top Bottom