• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Gurrry

Watching the life of Nick Mondo... I'm pretty sure that's enough hardcore wrestling for the rest of my life, thank you. He happens to be one of the most articulate wrestlers I've heard speak, surprisingly.

decided to youtube this out of curiosity

holy shit that weed wacker to the stomach... i had to stop watching after that.

So they were actually trying to bring him back, there was superstar hotline rumour about this. I forgot which survivor series it was, I think it was 96', they were trying to get Randy back but instead they got Snuka.

Yep, it was '96. Savage's two-year deal with WCW ended shortly after Halloween Havoc 1996 (where he lost to Hogan but Piper showed up after the match).

They had announced a match for Survivor Series in Madison Square Garden that was Faarooq, Vader, Fake Razor Ramon, and Fake Diesel vs. Yokozuna, Savio Vega, Flash Funk, and a mystery partner.

It was all over the dirtsheets back then that Vince was trying like mad to bring back Savage for that spot. But Savage wanted tons of money, which Vince didn't have because WCW was killing him and he had just thrown everything he had at Bret Hart. Everything fell through and they ended up grabbing Jimmy Snuka to do it.

Savage ended up doing nothing for a few months before finally getting a new deal done with WCW in February 1997.

Everyone likes to act like there was no contact between WWE and Savage ever again, but Savage was actually interviewed for the first episode of Smackdown Magazine when it launched in 2003. It was about Miss Elizabeth's death.

Supposedly, Vince did reach out to Savage once WCW was toast in 2001, but Savage was so unreasonable during the negotiations that Vince felt insulted and never pursued it again.

CfvFlqYUYAAtPgb.jpg

Yep, it was '96. Savage's two-year deal with WCW ended shortly after Halloween Havoc 1996 (where he lost to Hogan but Piper showed up after the match).

They had announced a match for Survivor Series in Madison Square Garden that was Faarooq, Vader, Fake Razor Ramon, and Fake Diesel vs. Yokozuna, Savio Vega, Flash Funk, and a mystery partner.

It was all over the dirtsheets back then that Vince was trying like mad to bring back Savage for that spot. But Savage wanted tons of money, which Vince didn't have because WCW was killing him and he had just thrown everything he had at Bret Hart. Everything fell through and they ended up grabbing Jimmy Snuka to do it.

Savage ended up doing nothing for a few months before finally getting a new deal done with WCW in February 1997.

Everyone likes to act like there was no contact between WWE and Savage ever again, but Savage was actually interviewed for the first episode of Smackdown Magazine when it launched in 2003. It was about Miss Elizabeth's death.

Supposedly, Vince did reach out to Savage once WCW was toast in 2001, but Savage was so unreasonable during the negotiations that Vince felt insulted and never pursued it again.
I didn't know about the SD magazine, thanks for shedding light on that.

If Vince didn't try mocking Macho Man, I believe that Macho Man would've been more than happy to come back, big money or not . As said, he and Vince were close and I'm sure Vince would've changed his mind and let Randy come in and do his thing.

I think they even did merchandise before he died. I just don't know but I'm just thing to say the rumour is a myth and nothing more. I want to know when it got started.

It probably got loose when Randy said he'd take Hunter's girl, etc.

I think Vince about to bring Warrior back at the end of 97' is still more shocking than anything.

Yep. Would have been a 5-year deal. Can you imagine Warrior in WWE 2003?
Man, I can't even imagine him in 1998-99.

Like someone said(heard it a few years back) , in wCw he stuck out like a damned sore thumb. Looking at him and his vibrant colours were the past(super hero) , Hogan and his new villain loom was current and the future(anti hero)

As much as I loved Warrior, that's one guy who never evolved. Hos character became on of those where you say he's good for special appearances but not long term.

I think it's possible the Ultimate Warrior character could've made it in the late RA era and now.

Toki767

Just finished watching Invasion Attack.

For being a heel, Naito sure is popular with the crowd. He seems more popular than Okada.

LU spoilers

Mundo beat Sexy Star for the belt

Pentagon lost a gauntlet match to the Joshis and had both his arms broken

I'm so sad about Pentagon. Even if this show magically gets at least one more season, I've now accepted the dude's flatout never getting a world title reign. It's just never going to fucking happen.

LU spoilers

Mundo beat Sexy Star for the belt

Pentagon lost a gauntlet match to the Joshis and had both his arms broken

I'm so sad about Pentagon. Even if this show magically gets at least one more season, I've now accepted the dude's flatout never getting a world title reign. It's just never going to fucking happen.

Is Pentagon another version of Cesaro? Awesome talent but no chance at the Heavyweight Title?

Kurita

The crowd was cheering that too. It's like the Japanese crowd is starting to appreciate people just having fun in matches now rather than always treating it seriously.
"Where are we MAGGLE?
They're cheering the superstars they usually boo and they boo the guys they usually cheer!
They're having fun MAGGLE!"

bjork

So I had a dream that I was with my friend, and we were in a mall store, but the store was a bunch of what looked like ice machines, but you sat on them over a big hole and they were toilets, I guess. But with no doors or anything, so I'm pooping and they're coming out like the side of rockets on a plane. There are ladies across from me looking, and my friend is looking and I'm trying to get her to stop, because the poops sure won't stop. Then I'm in some house and a guy and his wife are offering to buy my Nova, but they only want to offer $10,100. I tell them for that much I would sell it instantly, and then I walk outside and see my grandparents (who are dead now) and that's how I knew it was a dream.

What the hell, brain

klonere

Banned

I love how this match was just a transplanted DDT mid card bout. Shows how much sway Omega has over his matches I guess. God Invasion Attack was SO good.

4/29;

Naito vs Ishii, hot damn. I'm really looking forward to Nagata vs Shibata as well.

And these cards might somehow be even better. KUSHIDA and Liger is gonna be fire. I bet Okada is going to be super mega motivated now, he'll have a fantastic match with Sanada. (do they have a connection at all from before? Apart from TNA).
Naito Ishii was incredible at the NJ Cup and in the main event spot again, this time for the belt...

Crazy how NJPW have pivoted so well in such a short time.

EDIT: Boots you failed to mention this tag
Special 8-Man Tag: CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto & Will Ospreay) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, Sanada, EVIL & BUSHI)

Holy SHIT

Sanada's in NJPW now, eh? Wasn't he supposed to be THE guy for Wrestle-1, lmao. Good for him.

Invasion Attack sounds like a good show and Dontaku looks great, I think I'll try getting back on the NJPW wagon

Kurita

I often see people saying that "Random Western Wrestler" should go to Japan so he can have a better career/better booking. So I was wondering, who are the western wrestlers that improved a lot/came into their own when they entered the Japanese circuit?

I often see people saying that "Random Western Wrestler" should go to Japan so he can have a better career/better booking. So I was wondering, who are the western wrestlers that improved a lot/came into their own when they entered the Japanese circuit?
some examples of active guys off the top of my head:

Killer Elite Squad
AJ Styles
Karl Anderson
Finn Balor
Zack Sabre Jr.
Kenny Omega
Michael Elgin

there are many, though. also Albert tends to be a go-to example for this as well
Bootaaay, in the spirit of Kane, who from NJPW would you like to see put Kane over?
fixed for the question i wanna know

So I wish when I searched for a wrestler on the network it wouldn't give me results such as wins by roll up or wins by dq. I just want a list of matches to look through without the finish being told to me. Get your shit together WWE.

Adree

So I wish when I searched for a wrestler on the network it wouldn't give me results such as wins by roll up or wins by dq. I just want a list of matches to look through without the finish being told to me. Get your shit together WWE.

A wrestler should have a roll-up as his finisher and reign supreme.

klonere

Banned
Naito going full conspiracy theorist. And still laying out the truth.

chris charlton ‏@reasonjp 1m1 minute ago
Naito on Ishii's challenge: 'did I agree to this? Is the company so transfixed on having the title with Chaos..'

.'that they let this Chaos B player challenge for the belt? Need I remind you I already beat Ishii in the cup?'

Cody is okay, kind of generic without a gimmick and tends to over act on the mic in said gimmicks which at least works for Stardust but he's never been a guy I thought to myself "that's someone I would buy a ticket to see in person". He's already won life though.

It really sucks that we never got another company that had a WCW level of financial backing that would allow guys to have an easier time leaving Vince and have a chance to reinvent themselves without having to be stuck in one place and apparently too afraid to burn the WWE bridge or even a place with competent booking that reached ECW's level in terms of ratings in their time on TNN.

Looks like Vince needs to cut him another check.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just had a really weird dream that John Morrison returned to WWE. I completely lost my shit when his music hit. Then I realised I was watching TNA and I became sad. I'm not sure how TNA manage to get the rights to his WWE theme but in the dream they did. The weirdest part is that I was watching TNA. I mean.....what the fuck? Dreams are weird. But now that I think about it I did really like John Morrison.

I just had a really weird dream that John Morrison returned to WWE. I completely lost my shit when his music hit. Then I realised I was watching TNA and I became sad. I'm not sure how TNA manage to get the rights to his WWE theme but in the dream they did. The weirdest part is that I was watching TNA. I mean.....what the fuck? Dreams are weird. But now that I think about it I did really like John Morrison.

We call these nightmares my friend.

UberTag

The WWE would have one hot program on their hands if Zack & Emma both came out tonight during The Miz's match and laid him and his wife out like heels typical WWE faces.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The WWE would have one hot program on their hands if Zack & Emma both came out tonight during The Miz's match and laid him and his wife out like heels typical WWE faces.
I agree, but it's just confusing to the audience when it comes to Emma. They're attacking Miz as retribution for a fan favourite getting screwed over. That's a face move. Emma is supposed to be a heel and has all the characteristics of a heel. I'm not sure how this would go. And turning Emma face is a horrible move.

Xion385

That would be great, but isn't the problem that Emma is a heel and Zack is a babyface? Also Emma is feuding with Becky.

bjork

I agree, but it's just confusing to the audience when it comes to Emma. They're attacking Miz as retribution for a fan favourite getting screwed over. That's a face move. Emma is supposed to be a heel and has all the characteristics of a heel. I'm not sure how this would go. And turning Emma face is a horrible move.

He can play it up where she cheats for him to win, but he's reluctant to take victories like that or something. Either that or the keep them apart, like Cena and Nikki when she was/is heel.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Maybe they should have a storyline where Zack wants to break up with Emma but then Emma tells Zack she's pregnant so he has to stay with her. Then they have a wedding on Raw but before the wedding Zack finds out Emma faked the pregnancy and he destroys he wedding set.

Too lazy to type again.

Putting Emma with Zack, regardless of their dating after Emma just came back after being gone for like a year to (never mind the the ipad/phone case mess) rehab and rebuild her character after being torpedoed the first time from being weighed down by Santino. Just don't do it...

She's a heel, keep her a heel and stop any nonsense justifications, for the love of god keep them separate.

Plus Maryse isn't even a wrestler anymore.

Maybe they should have a storyline where Zack wants to break up with Emma but then Emma tells Zack she's pregnant so he has to stay with her. Then they have a wedding on Raw but before the wedding Zack finds out Emma faked the pregnancy and he destroys he wedding set.

Then Emma beats his ass in a grudge match and sends him back to Superstars.

Don't type in either Seth or CM Punk. Their title runs were too predictable.

Top Bottom