• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Man God

Non-Canon Member
gTH5pN5.gif

Fox318

Maybe it's because I haven't hit 98-01 WCW but I dont think I've ever listened to a show with commentary I've hated like today.

Maybe when Caudle was alone in the booth? Dusty gets bad but at least I'm laughing a few times here and there.

Tony, JR, Weasel, and Body are all great.

They treat it like a sport and even when they are lying to me (like claiming that Bash at the Beach 1994 was bought by millions of homes)at least they make the event sound important and they don't have a 20 page memo on words they can't say and words they have to shove down our throats like Sports Entertainment and Superstars.

Honestly most of the WCW storytelling is better and I think prof that unless you have your story locked together you are better off building it around characters.

The WWE tries to do both but the story is so fucking bad that even if the characters are great they look worse. Like how Breeze is presented in NXT vs the main roster.

Like the new day. I know it's early but their act is based on them being entertaining but there is 0 story interest and their matches outside of the stuff with The Brass Ring club aren't something I'd write home about.

Somebody can get over by use of storyline, entertainment/charisma, and work rate/ compelling matches.

What separates the legit stars from the trash like Cody rhodes is can you take away one of them and people would be sataisfied. People would want to see cena work or talk even if he didn't have an angle.

Mind you that story has been shit so guys today have to stand on if they can entertain or work.

Then he aligned with Jimmy Hart, who was also with the Dungeon after turning on Hogan, but Luger wanted nothing to do with the Dungeon.

Mr. Enigma, I hate to do this, but as I'm watching this Nitro before Halloween Havoc, Sullivan and The Giant rush the ring after a Sting/Luger tag match and they chokeslamed Luger right away. Otherwise though, you're right. As Luger keeps stating he's done "playing with little boys" he wants to play with "the big boys"

Good post, Fox. I agree. Character > story. Characters will find a story, given the right circumstances. And I'd add Mongo to your list of great commentators.

Fox318

WrestleMania 32 - HBK vs. HHH live sex celebration. Finally they just fuck and get it over with.
Funny that Vince wants every old guy he can get his hands in but in 1993-4 he was trying to get as young as possible.

Maybe it was all the steroid trial but could you see Vince letting a 46 year old man main event wrestlemania 10-21 like he does with HHH?

Although, Fox, what is with your Cody Rhodes hate? Is he the one who injured Cesaro?
I would tell you but I'm sworn to secrecy.

Cesaro will be back in the indies while Cody is jobbing in WWE though
😂😂😂😂

Making more money money, yeah yeah.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny that Vince wants every old guy he can get his hands in but in 1993-4 he was trying to get as young as possible.

Maybe it was all the steroid trial but could you see Vince letting a 46 year old man main event wrestlemania 10-21 like he does with HHH?

Even then that's a lie. The same PPV the commentators mock Hogan for being old for the first time the main event is King versus Piper. King Kong Bundy gets a run. Warrior shows up. Nikolai Volkoff.

He's got an age issue and first starts shopping around for the next Hogan in 87. He benches Macho way before any beef that developed happened. But then he changes his mind and brings back old timers because there is potential for money there. Hogan main events in between 10-21 for man god's sake.

Fox318

Although, Fox, what is with your Cody Rhodes hate? Is he the one who injured Cesaro?

I think somebody in his postiton got to where he was solely based on his family name and has coasted on it for almost 10 years.

He has had multiple gimmicks and each one has the life span of a fart in the wind.

There are so many guys on the roster who wouldn't get as many shots as he would and would be better in his current role as jobber or even Tag Champ.

Even shit like him wearing the Dusty tribute gear at mania. I'm not going to claim to know his father more than him but he made a pretty strong stance late last year with not using his father's passing to turn him face saying that it would disrespect his father. Then as soon as his character gets stale he dresses in polka dots(Which was a gimmick to humiliate Dusty after his destroying Jim crockket promotions and fleeing to Vince for work, something which week's before his death he said he didn't want to be known for) all so they could get some cheap heat on Kevin Owens throwing a ladder out.

Tell me a guy like Sandow, Bo Dallas, or Slater would fail to get a Goldust feud over as many times as Cody? Or that they would get as many chances as Cody?

If he was out on the free market who would call to sign Cody rhodes?

TNA might be the only one.

Even then that's a lie. The same PPV the commentators mock Hogan for being old for the first time the main event is King versus Piper. King Kong Bundy gets a run. Warrior shows up. Nikolai Volkoff.

He's got an age issue and first starts shopping around for the next Hogan in 87. He benches Macho way before any beef that developed happened. But then he changes his mind and brings back old timers because there is potential for money there. Hogan main events in between 10-21 for man god's sake.
I think it's easier said than done when it came to the youth movement. Now you can do it because you have no competition but back the it was harder because this guy is just so popular.

Luckily it worked out though because it showed that you can't always hold onto what was popular and "the thing" ten years ago.

Superstars are like fads, they're good for the moment, then they go away, but eventually come back.

Fads usually are a 5 year period. Hogan was able to last longer.

Fox318

I think it's easier said than done when it came to the youth movement. Now you can do it because you have no competition but back the it was harder because this guy is just so popular.

Luckily it worked out though because it showed that you can't always hold onto what was popular and "the thing" ten years ago.

Superstars are like fads, they're good for the moment, then they go away, buy eventually come back.

Fads usually are a 5 year period. Hogan was able to last longer.
Hogan changed to Hollywood and evolved. He was able to come back as Hulk after a while because people either missed the fact or they weren't getting it every week. Hulk had a problem later on with the WWE because Hulk and I think like 99% of superstars can't work in the weekly raw environment with the 20 minute promo then the main event every week.

Its why somebody like Brock got over as strongly as he did even when storyline didn't intend to have him get over as a face.

Fox318

X8 was a happy mistake and that entire event was about HHH.

19 you could argue he main evented because of the build but the plan was Rock Austin until Austin almost killed himself and thankfully we got the creation of a superstar in Brock and soldifying Angle as a top guy.

Although I think we all wish Brock never injured himself on that rope. He probably would have never left the WWE or gone through the issues he did with drugs and drinking.

JavyOO7

I dunno. I feel Cody Rhodes is a crown jewel and the only reason some fans don't like him is because he loses all the time.

He's like a Randy Orton in a sense in the ring... very crisp, very little wasted movement, etc. I think Cody is great, even as Stardust, but WWE doesn't think so unfortunately.

edit - Though Cody making me look like a fool with his match against Sami Zayn at Roadblock. Yikes.

Hogan changed to Hollywood and evolved. He was able to come back as Hulk after a while because people either missed the fact or they weren't getting it every week. Hulk had a problem later on with the WWE because Hulk and I think like 99% of superstars can't work in the weekly raw environment with the 20 minute promo then the main event every week.

Its why somebody like Brock got over as strongly as he did even when storyline didn't intend to have him get over as a face.
Explain that last remark a bit more.

That doesn't explain why macho was never brought back when it seemed like Vince was bringing everyone he passed off back.

Even the Meltz doesn't rule out the infamous rumours as the real reason.

I could also easily see it as a rumour that got out of hand that was based on something else entirely. Maybe Savage just never wanted to return to the E after wcw died and wanted to lay low and retire for real

I remember a creative writer mentioned that once they were bringing up ideas one Mania season (I think for potential HOF names), and someone brought up the idea of Savage. Around the time he was still alive, of course. And Vince got quiet, and all he'd say was "I don't wish to do business with that man", and the writer noted it was the quietest Vince ever got during a meeting.

I never bought the rumors, but even still, you know something big had to happen with that on top of everything else about how they just stopped even mentioning each other for the decade-plus between Randy leaving and Randy dying. It's too noticeably suspicious and uncomfortable and consistentt for it to have been something minor and petty like him going to WCW and TNA.

Fox318

Explain that last remark a bit more.
Brock wasn't on TV every week as champ so he wasn't losing by ghost or losing by authority or jobbing every week to cena in non title matches because of fears of merch sales dipping 0.00428%.

He was away from bad creative with a title that he won in a Vader like manner.

If every time you saw talent work was once a month guys wouldn't get stale, they would have more time to be creative, and even if they did suck your only see them once in a while.

Somebody like Hulk in 2003-6 works by not being around all of the time then doing his act to a crowd that has only seen it maybe twice in the last 5 months.

Fox318

I remember a creative writer mentioned that once they were bringing up ideas one Mania season (I think for potential HOF names), and someone brought up the idea of Savage. Around the time he was still alive, of course. And Vince got quiet, and all he'd say was "I don't wish to do business with that man", and the writer noted it was the quietest Vince ever got during a meeting.

I never bought the rumors, but even still, you know something big had to happen with that on top of everything else about how they just stopped even mentioning each other for the decade-plus between Randy leaving and Randy dying. It's too noticeably suspicious and uncomfortable and consistentt for it to have been something minor and petty like him going to WCW and TNA.
Honestly it could be that at the time Vince losing that Slim Jim money really hurt him. Savage was always a guy Vince supported and was always a WWF guy.

If say Taker left with angle in 2006 to go to TNA could you see Vince wanting him back after all of those times together?

Entropia

No One Remembers
I dunno. I feel Cody Rhodes is a crown jewel and the only reason some fans don't like him is because he loses all the time.

He's like a Randy Orton in a sense in the ring... very crisp, very little wasted movement, etc. I think Cody is great, even as Stardust, but WWE doesn't think so unfortunately.

edit - Though Cody making me look like a fool with his match against Sami Zayn at Roadblock. Yikes.

Yeah not sure wtf happened there. That match was... not good.

I love Cody Rhodes. When I first started watching again back in 2011, I watched WM27 and that match with him and Rey.. I was like "Damn! This guy is good"

Honestly it could be that at the time Vince losing that Slim Jim money really hurt him. Savage was always a guy Vince supported and was always a WWF guy.

If say Taker left with angle in 2006 to go to TNA could you see Vince wanting him back after all of those times together?

Yes. The only reason they aren't taking Angle back is because he'll want to keep wrestling, and his body cannot pass a real medical exam, which is what you need to ensure he won't die in ring, which is a serious possibility.

The man had a tumor in his neck for a year and kept wrestling until it pressed on a nerve. Taker has not now, nor has he ever been, that publicly insane and careless about his own health. Neither was Christian, and Vince took him back and gave him a belt the first chance he got.

If anything, it would have made the Mania streak loss to Brock make more sense. As is, nothing Taker's done at Mania for years has made any sense, either during the build, or after it happened.

Brock wasn't on TV every week as champ so he wasn't losing by ghost or losing by authority or jobbing every week to cena in non title matches because of fears of merch sales dipping 0.00428%.

He was away from bad creative with a title that he won in a Vader like manner.

If every time you saw talent work was once a month guys wouldn't get stale, they would have more time to be creative, and even if they did suck your only see them once in a while.

Somebody like Hulk in 2003-6 works by not being around all of the time then doing his act to a crowd that has only seen it maybe twice in the last 5 months.
Gotcha, I was confused with his first face run and now.

But yeah... A lot of the times they don't know what to do with the champion so they put him in who knows what and it brings him down. Just have him off television for the week.

Idk. When they first started Raw, Hogan was on maybe 1 before Mania and zero after Mania, then he lost to Yokozuna and you know the rest.

I guess your character has to really really work that you can be on Raw every week and people not get tired of you.

Fox318

Yes. The only reason they aren't taking Angle back is because he'll want to keep wrestling, and his body cannot pass a real medical exam, which is what you need to ensure he won't die in ring, which is a serious possibility.

The man had a tumor in his neck for a year and kept wrestling until it pressed on a nerve. Taker has not now, nor has he ever been, that publicly insane and careless about his own health. Neither was Christian, and Vince took him back and gave him a belt the first chance he got.

If anything, it would have made the Mania streak loss to Brock make more sense. As is, nothing Taker's done at Mania for years has made any sense, either during the build, or after it happened.
If Vince has that much distaste for Savage he probably would have told Austin not to bring it up on the podcast.

Who knows? Maybe Vinces ultimate revenge is he is making money off the Savage name.

I need to catch up on LU. I don't think I've watched an episode since that glow in the dark Power Ranger randomly showed up and cleared out a bathroom.

The belt now has less value than TNA's. And I wouldn't throw an accusation out like that lightly.

This is champ 6 since Oct 2014 (or if you want to use air dates, Jan 17 2015)

If we're going by airdates, TNA has actually had the same amount of world champs in that timespan, funnily enough

This is champ 6 since Oct 2014 (or if you want to use air dates, Jan 17 2015)

If we're going by airdates, TNA has actually had the same amount of world champs in that timespan, funnily enough
I thought Barrage was exaggerating, but you just had to go and confirm it. :(
WHY YOU SON OF A BITCH! TELL MY WHY!
ukc2s.gif

Top Bottom