• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

tumblr_o5mqcuNihM1sbzhteo1_500.gif

Even the ref is perfect.

klonere

Banned
Actually now I've convinced myself that the New Day are holding the tag belts until Summerslam for sure, breaking the longest reign record and building to a big match there with some team. Last year's Summerslam was peak New Day imo.

You know I'm firmly off the Dean Ambrose wagon but my god he looks good with that winged eagle belt. It suits him.

Agreed, I'm hoping New Day break some record tag reign thing and then introduce new belts

No Dean won every single 1 on 1 match with KO for some reason, then lost it back to him during a random Raw in a 4 way featuring Tyler Breeze ¯_(ツ)_/¯
You gonna fuck around and New Day will introduce a belt that looks like your worst nightmares.

Unicorn horn in the middle, unicorn head side plates.

Pink strap.

Inside colour baby blue.

White duct tape with new day rocks over it.

Fantomex

It's crazy to see what a huge void he left, were still waiting on the heir apparent. Seth could be the guy if the didnt make him a cowardly heel.

bjork

We've said that before with other people and they've come back

Has anyone burned their bridges like that? Especially with the guy who's gonna be boss for decades to come?

If punk is ever back in a WWE ring, I'll let the community pick me a new avatar or something and never change it. I just don't see it happening because all this stuff came so late in the game.

klonere

Banned
Shit, that's right. I forgot about that thing entirely.

That whole deblace plus Zack Ryder's reign plus the US title situation has made sure I'm neve buying into "they are rehabbing the title by putting it on x!!!" line. Every belt is a prop other than the WHC and even that is questionable.

Funnily enough the Women's belt has had the best run since Nikki's last reign started

Even the ref is perfect.

This reminds me I always wanted to discuss refs in general. How does one become a ref? What makes a great ref? Who are the greatest refs of all time? How much money do they make? Do they ever fuck up the count or otherwise ruin matches?

They are like the bass players in a rock band. Refs play an almost unseen part in making the whole show come together. I'd love to be a ref, seems like a ton of fun to play the part.

This reminds me I always wanted to discuss refs in general. How does one become a ref? What makes a great ref? Who are the greatest refs of all time? How much money do they make? Do they ever fuck up the count or otherwise ruin matches?

They are like the bass players in a rock band. Refs play an almost unseen part in making the whole show come together. I'd love to be a ref, seems like a ton of fun to play the part.

Know someone in the business.

Most Indy refs are usually students at the wrestling school

http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/20-fascinating-facts-you-didnt-know-about-wwe-referees/

You're in luck.I was reading that last month.

Best ref, idk. I grew up with Chioda and Hebner so of course I'm going to pick between the two. But I don't watch TNA so I haven't seen Hebner in forever.

One of the best refs ever has to be Joe Higuchi, he was in the Guinness book of world records because his count was measured to be exactly three seconds.If you ever watched a big All Japan match from the 70s-90's, Joe was probably the ref and was said to have officiated over 20,000 matches in his 32 year career.

Gerweck pushing them limits.
On March 29, 1987 at WrestleMania III there were 78,000 fans who were enthralled with every slam, punch and suplex thrown in a match that involved two of the best wrestlers on the planet. When the final bell rang at14:35 in the contest, Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat was crowned as the new WWF Intercontinental Champion by defeating Macho Man Randy Savage. This is arguably the greatest wrestling match of all-time, however, its reputation has been tarnished over the years due to how the match was prepared and laid out.

In a shoot interview conducted in 2001, Ricky Steamboat stated that Randy Savage insisted on carefully choreographing the entire match in advance and scripted every single move in a notebook. Steamboat said he had never worked a match that way before, but trusted Savage enough to go along with his plan. Steamboat went on to say that during the weeks leading up to WrestleMania III, Savage would randomly quiz him to make sure he knew the sequence of moves on a particular page.

Ever since this story came out, the perception of Savage vs. Steamboat has changed over the years. What was once a masterful wrestling match is now, to some, a tainted exhibition of the art. On an episode of the Stone Cold Podcast. William Regal stated that he used to love the match until he talked to Steamboat and discovered its rehearsed nature. Steve Austin himself along with other wrestlers have publicly echoed the same sentiment, which has even turned some fans (some who don’t have the slightest clue) against this match

Planning an entire match in advance is really no different than what actors do when using a script to deliver their lines in a play or movie. A lot of wrestlers, however, prefer call it in the ring because they can tell a better story instead of being beholden to a list of planned moves. Preplanning everything outright can make wrestling matches look rigid, robotic and make it difficult to change course in midstream if the audience is sitting on their hands.

Being able to call a match in-ring and get the crowd going is a badge of honor for some wrestlers because it exhibits a certain mastery of their craft. This is why it’s perplexing that two of the best to ever lace up a pair up boots would resort to such extensive rehearsal, which is why Steamboat vs. Savage has lost some of its luster.

While resentment towards the aforementioned match is understandable within the confines of the industry, there is one big glaring undeniable fact that ultimately renders this argument inert. Regardless of how it unfolded, Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage at WrestleMania III is still an amazing match that captivated one of the biggest crowds to ever witness a wrestling event.

It’s not as if Savage and Steamboat used stunt doubles, hired George Lucas to add in CGI, or are incapable of calling it in the ring. In fact, they worked a plethora of house show matches with each other, prior to WrestleMania, that weren’t rehearsed, and some enjoy those bouts even more than the classic bout in question.

The notebook script was a well thought-out method that was designed to produce a great match. Savage had an idea, Steamboat agreed, and the rest is history. Even if Steamboat flat out refused to follow a script, odds are that their match at WrestleMania III would’ve still been an amazing body of work from two consummate in-ring professionals who stole the show sold by Hogan and Andre.

http://www.gerweck.net/2016/04/13/is-randy-savage-vs-ricky-steamboat-overrated/

The notebook stuff is very very old but in theatre(essentially what sports entertainment embraces) we choreograph everything.

I wouldn't say the match is overrated but when you look at it today it's very unorthodox and unnecessary.

But today matches are still choreographed(Taker usually invites people over to go over his matches with them before Mania) just not on a notebook lol.

WM 15 the main event was choreographed from start to finish, just not on paper.

WM 12 main event, some was choreographed but the rest was called in the ring.

Listening to Motown music, while a lot of the drums sound the same, it's still really good even compared to the overly complicated stuff of today.

Hex

Banned
Sometimes the NXT crowd is just fun as hell.
During the Nakamura match with Tye Dillenger , the crowd did the "ten ten" thing for a moment and Tye got excited saying "That's for me" to Shinsuke.
Then the crowd started a "He's eleven" chant.
So good.

Sometimes the NXT crowd is just fun as hell.
During the Nakamura match with Tye Dillenger , the crowd did the "ten ten" thing for a moment and Tye got excited saying "That's for me" to Shinsuke.
Then the crowd started a "He's eleven" chant.
So good.

Yeah, he's 11 was pretty fun though the crowd seemed a bit quiet overall. Can't blame them I guess, the matches weren't spectacular or anything.

And what was up with Bayley's speech? I thought it was going to be a send off speech and she was going to be off to Raw, but then we get, "I'm gonna get that title back!" and that's about it. I guess that was the "I'm not off to Raw" speech.

Hex

Banned
Yeah, he's 11 was pretty fun though the crowd seemed a bit quiet overall. Can't blame them I guess, the matches weren't spectacular or anything.

And what was up with Bayley's speech? I thought it was going to be a send off speech and she was going to be off to Raw, but then we get, "I'm gonna get that title back!" and that's about it. I guess that was the "I'm not off to Raw" speech.

Raw is packed with women right now.
Divas is a virus, fucking Nat is getting a multi month program with Charlotte out of nowhere.
Then most likely Sasha gets hers. (Fuck WWE it should be Becky and they better not fuck up)
There is nothing for Bayley to do on the main roster right now except stagnate.

Raw is packed with women right now.
Divas is a virus, fucking Nat is getting a multi month program with Charlotte out of nowhere.
Then most likely Sasha gets hers. (Fuck WWE it should be Becky and they better not fuck up)
There is nothing for Bayley to do on the main roster right now except stagnate.

Becky LOL

Dinokill

Man, HBK VS Vince match at WM22 was sooo good on storytelling. The feud was about Vince trying to seduce HBK to the dark side. When the Spirit Squad makes the run-in and starts beating the living hell out of HBK you see him snapping! He beats the living shit out the Spirit Squad, spits them and argues with the crowd that is yelling "You screwed Bret!".

Then after Shane comes in, HBK basically became a heel; beats the living crap out of Shane while being handcuffed and then basically kills Vince while in the top of that, JR is yelling something likec "HBK might be winning the battle but Vince might win the war!" referring how HBK has changed tru the match(From being a baby face and now acting like old asshole HBK).

Why we can't have feuds like this anymore? and a competent broadcast team for that matter.

Man, HBK VS Vince match at WM22 was sooo good on storytelling. The feud was about Vince trying to seduce HBK to the dark side. When the Spirit Squad makes the run-in and starts beating the living hell out of HBK you see him snapping! He beats the living shit out the Spirit Squad, spits them and argues with the crowd that is yelling "You screwed Bret!".

Then after Shane comes in, HBK basically became a heel; beats the living crap out of Shane while being handcuffed and then basically kills Vince while in the top of that, JR is yelling something likec "HBK might be winning the battle but Vince might win the war!" referring how HBK has changed tru the match(From being a baby face and now acting like old asshole HBK).

Why we can't have feuds like this anymore? and a competent broadcast team for that matter.
The best part is how Shawn is basically like don't call on the devil unless you're willing to pay the price. Vince called on the old Shawn and he got him.

Hycran

Banned
SZ is such a prototypical baby face. Is there some reason he decided to hide behind the mask other than to be "lul so indy underground king"

Cornette was right about him

Top Bottom