• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Yeah, he's 11 was pretty fun though the crowd seemed a bit quiet overall.
These matches were shot at Wrestlemania Fan Axxess, so there were probably around 200 people total watching. Most people are in line waiting for an autograph. And none of the matches are announced. When we were there Sunday morning and Nakamura had a match with Blake, we were completely surprised. The matches before that usually had at least one person who hadn't even been on TV yet.

Cf8hGgpVIAAGf3s.jpg

It will work out in the end.

"It's all about how it looks" - a person who must have missed basically everything in Mania ending up looking like shit

They have bad thing after bad thing happen at their tapings all month. The odds that all 7 of them will or can be edited to look better/not shit is laughable, like... .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% laughable

klonere

Banned
"It's all about how it looks" - a person who must have missed basically everything in Mania ending up looking like shit

They have bad thing after bad thing happen at their tapings all month. The odds that all 7 of them will or can be edited to look better/not shit is laughable, like... .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% laughable

I love the idea of the Stardom women coming in but having them come in work some incredible matches and then put the belt on Sexy fucking Star in the name of a cheap media cycle when it airs and a thoroughly undeserved women's empowerment moment is kinda ironic and sad,

That stuff about the Savage/Steamboat match was always interesting to me. I think as a fan, a good match is a good match. I understand why those in the business would have different feelings, though.

I've heard stories about people rehearsing matches for Mania in the lead up to the event. I think Hogan said that Rock wanted him to do a practice match with him but he insisted not to because the bumps would be too hard on him, but during the actual match he'd be able to take them because of the adrenaline.

I love the idea of the Stardom women coming in but having them come in work some incredible matches and then put the belt on Sexy fucking Star in the name of a cheap media cycle when it airs and a thoroughly undeserved women's empowerment moment is kinda ironic and sad,

The Stardom stuff was fine, they beat up Pentagon twice and broke both his arms. Them coming in and looking strong was fine and needed. The issue with that is just once again, the biggest cheered guy in the company is sidelined and specifically away from the title picture, which is not what fans want.

Fans have wanted to see Pentagon as champ at least once for 3 full years now, and it's plainly not going to happen ever, but the company won't stop teasing fans anyway just like WWE won't stop teasing Ambrose and Bray fans. "Maybe this time your fav will be the face of the comphahahhaha no, but maybe next timhahahahah nope but maybe next time!"

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Actually now I've convinced myself that the New Day are holding the tag belts until Summerslam for sure, breaking the longest reign record and building to a big match there with some team. Last year's Summerslam was peak New Day imo.

I think they face Gallows & Anderson at SS and lose them. (I also think Balor wins MitB and cashes in during a Reigns / Lesnar title match at SS and wins the belt, and Balor Club takes over).

I think they face Gallows & Anderson at SS and lose them. (I also think Balor wins MitB and cashes in during a Reigns / Lesnar title match at SS and wins the belt, and Balor Club takes over).

Verendus, how would you feel about Barack vs. The Big Dawg being interrupted again?

shaowebb

I think so.

Meh. Does it really matter?
Matanza wasn't beaten by her if thats what they're worried about. Rey Mysterio did and Sexy Star ends up vs someone else and uses a table to win. I think she even drops the title to Johnny Mundo the next taping. Its more of a "chaos ensues" angle than putting her over the whole roster. I like that they did it. It means a belt chase and match ducking can commence while keeping Matanza a monster running through various matches with folks. It was always hardest to strip Undertaker of a title. Characters like Matanza work best as a gatekeeper in the roster and Sexy Star works to show an anything can happen atmosphere. Honestly if she were a better wrestler I'd say sure let her keep the title but she's surrounded by so many top of the world performers that I can't justify doing that with her. She's just outshined by folks like Pentagon Jr, Son of Havoc, Johnny Mundo, and Prince Puma just to name a few on their loaded roster.

I think the important thing to remember is that: Lucha Underground sounds dumb in spoilers, but then turns out pretty decent on screen. Just chill out and wait, ffs.

Zach

That stuff about the Savage/Steamboat match was always interesting to me. I think as a fan, a good match is a good match. I understand why those in the business would have different feelings, though.

I've heard stories about people rehearsing matches for Mania in the lead up to the event. I think Hogan said that Rock wanted him to do a practice match with him but he insisted not to because the bumps would be too hard on him, but during the actual match he'd be able to take them because of the adrenaline.
Huh. Interesting.

And you're right: a good match is a good match. But in my estimation, a worked match (or whatever you call it) that adapts to crowd reactions and whatnot is most always far more impressive than a fully scripted match. And it's more fun when things can go beautifully when guys mesh well, or terribly when dudes can't get on the same page.

I guess that can happen when a match is fully scripted too, but if you're just going to do a dance routine, I'm gonna be way more critical.

Meh. Does it really matter?
Matanza wasn't beaten by her if thats what they're worried about. Rey Mysterio did and Sexy Star ends up vs someone else and uses a table to win. I think she even drops the title to Johnny Mundo the next taping. Its more of a "chaos ensues" angle than putting her over the whole roster. I like that they did it. It means a belt chase and match ducking can commence while keeping Matanza a monster running through various matches with folks. It was always hardest to strip Undertaker of a title. Characters like Matanza work best as a gatekeeper in the roster and Sexy Star works to show an anything can happen atmosphere. Honestly if she were a better wrestler I'd say sure let her keep the title but she's surrounded by so many top of the world performers that I can't justify doing that with her. She's just outshined by folks like Pentagon Jr, Son of Havoc, Johnny Mundo, and Prince Puma just to name a few on their loaded roster.

I don't think it matters personally, but it would be interesting to see it play out once it comes out.

Hogan was probably more concerned that The Rock would roll him up during the rehearsals and beat him twice.

Backflip

I was at Mania 32 and I recorded Shinsuke Nakamura's surprise entrance at Axxess on sunday morning (when he faced Blake). I thought you guys might like to see the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K1PuVxdZdU

It was the most people I saw at the "arena" part of Axxess. Once his music started people started coming. And during the match, the crowd was spilling out of the NXT zone:

CfIdNPhXEAETGIY.jpg

(I read this topic every day but very rarely post)

I was at Mania 32 and I recorded Shinsuke Nakamura's surprise entrance at Axxess on sunday morning (when he faced Blake). I thought you guys might like to see the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K1PuVxdZdU

It was the most people I saw at the "arena" part of Axxess. Once his music started people started coming. And during the match, the crowd was spilling out of the NXT zone:

CfIdNPhXEAETGIY.jpg

That looks nice!

Zach

CfIdNPhXEAETGIY.jpg

Is a Fave Five in order?

Backflip

Is a Fave Five in order?

I could give you my Fave Five but there's a big chance you guys wouldn't like it. I'm a pretty nostalgic guys. But I can say that Nakamura is near the top (and maybe at the top) of my current-gen Fave Five.

I could give you my Fave Five but there's a big chance you guys wouldn't like it. I'm a pretty nostalgic guys. But I can say that Nakamura is near the top (and maybe at the top) of my current-gen Fave Five.

Do overall and current. We will welcome you with opens arms no matter what, like the WWE Universe to Dean Ambrose.

Do we know how Piper convinced hogan to allow him to go over twice clean ?

Scott Hall said Hogan (allegedly) saw how The Outsider would job all the time and it never hurt them so he figured he'd try it. So he put Piper over al the way and, as Hall said, he got a real high from it.

Fox318

Do we know how Piper convinced hogan to allow him to go over twice clean ?

Hogan wanted money and Piper would only come in if Hogan would put him over.

Don't forget hogan was making 25% of all PPVs. Its a shame that Starrcade 97 wasn't in the Georgia dome because Hogan probably would have put Sting over clean as long as it was in front of Turner executives.

Zach

Well now I must know!

Do overall and current. We will welcome you with opens arms no matter what, like the WWE Universe to Dean Ambrose.

Scott Hall said Hogan (allegedly) saw how The Outsider would job all the time and it never hurt them so he figured he'd try it. So he put Piper over al the way and, as Hall said, he got a real high from it.
I like the overall/current idea.

And I'm intrigued by this Hogan story.

These guys will tear apart your fave five because they are nothing but spot protecting vultures

That sounds like me.

Adree

This reminds me I always wanted to discuss refs in general. How does one become a ref? What makes a great ref? Who are the greatest refs of all time? How much money do they make? Do they ever fuck up the count or otherwise ruin matches?

They are like the bass players in a rock band. Refs play an almost unseen part in making the whole show come together. I'd love to be a ref, seems like a ton of fun to play the part.

The recent Jericho podcast with Charles Robinson is a real fun listen. Jericho keeps trying to bring the conversation to when Charles did a couple matches in WCW as the literal Lil Naitch but there's a lot of good ref discussion.

I've lived by 2 mottos

Always be shootin

Always protect your heat brother

Hogan was more afraid of somebody showing up with a ref than he was a loaded gun.
Of course you two would show up as soon as shooting is mentioned 😂😂😂

Give us your all time. It's all that mattets brother. Right now, these guys are wrestlers anymore. They're circus acts, they couldn't work in the 70s and 80s. They're not larger than life.

Oh lol at Jr mentioning Bart Gunn looking at his face wow.

Fave Five

Owen Hart
Ronnie Garvin
Eddie Guerrero
Dino Bravo
Word Life Cena

Current
Orton
Cesaro
Eric Young
Mil Muertes
Enzo(reminds me of Word Life Cena)

Fave Five

Owen Hart
Ronnie Garvin
Eddie Guerrero
Dino Bravo
Word Life Cena

Current
Orton
Cesaro
Eric Young
Mil Muertes
Enzo(reminds me of Word Life Cena)

Dino Bravo? Now that's a first. You might have the most unique favourite five of this thread.

Wait wait wait, is JR shooting? With Dr Death too?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

CfIdNPhXEAETGIY.jpg

Very cool. POST MORE PLEASE

AND FAVE FIVE

Tom Nook

CfIdNPhXEAETGIY.jpg

That's amazing.

Top Bottom