• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

orioto

Good Art™
So get this.

I, as a Dutch person, a country that does not get Raw on TV, can't watch the latest Raw on the WWE Network. This despite not having Hulu or anything else impeding them from giving it to me.

So, starting this week apparently, the fuckers started uploading the Hulu version of Raw to YouTube for those places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzbDuXzgnZ0

For free.

This company.

Doesn't work in France it seems, where i can't watch RAW legally in any fucking way. And i'm paying for the network. And i want to see it live, not the day after. The day after i can just torrent it thx, the quality will be better -__-.

The heat for Rocky in 97/98 is wow. I completely forgot fans were not into him. And now they all adore him. Sign of things for Roman?

I also made the mistake of going into 1998 PPV. First match of Royal Rumble is Goldust in some ludicrous outfit.

Jericho has that ability to make you pay attention to his promos - whether the writing or booking is good or not, it's rare that his segments are uninteresting or bland.

His feud with Ambrose should really help Dean with his promo work after languishing for a while now. Even his short time on commentary and crashing the Highlight Reel were pretty good.

The lionsault on Zayn this week was great. Hope he can stay rested enough for good matches here on out.

bjork

I don't have a Fave Five, just the GOAT: The Rock

everyone else is an honorable mention

this should be bannable

he's not even the greatest of any year he was active

ever

Weren't there, like, three of you? In a thread regularly posted in by, like, a dozen people? The New Generation era of WrassleGAF was small potatoes compared to the ratings juggernaut it is today.

Snowglobe Kliq never needed an |OT2|.

quality, not quantity

snowglobe kliq got HBK turned into a bannable offense

all these kids did nowadays is get the entire community closed

Striker

After that Mania vs. The Sultan, it was little time before he turned. They didn't go on and on and act like the reactions weren't there. He said this recently about how his career changed at that point.

A few weeks later, Johnson suffered a knee injury and was out of wrestling for the rest of the summer. Before returning to the ring, he had a realization.

“It wasn’t me personally that they didn’t like,” Johnson says of the hostile fans. “It’s that I wasn’t being me. I wasn’t being real. I wasn’t being authentic. Who is this guy in wrestling who’s smiling when he’s getting beat?”

That’s when WWE head Vince McMahon proposed that Johnson shed the “good guy” image and turn heel, becoming one of wrestling’s big villains.

“He said, ‘When you come back, we could continue to shove you down people’s throats, or we could turn you heel because they want to boo you anyway,’” Johnson recalls. “I said, ‘I think it’s a great idea.’”
Do you see them doing the same thing for Roman, or any other guys, quite frankly? *looks at Cena* Nah.

klonere

Banned
I find it funny that the A-1 banner reason that the WWE hired Nakamura was to sell some more seats at 2 yearly house shows in Japan. I doubt the take for one of those shows would cover his yearly wage.

The heat for Rocky in 97/98 is wow. I completely forgot fans were not into him. And now they all adore him. Sign of things for Roman?

I also made the mistake of going into 1998 PPV. First match of Royal Rumble is Goldust in some ludicrous outfit.

I always found that the magnitude of hate on Rocky was not even in the same league as Roman. There was some chants from the usual suspects, some boos but nothing like the 2 year long odyssey of hate Roman has gotten.

Although you can pretty easily spot the reasons why Rocky was changed so quickly in comparison to Roman: outside competition.

BIw0QkW.jpg

Wonder what they'll headline with...Roman vs AJ? Shinsuke vs AJ? Shinsuke/AJ vs Jericho?

Word is Hideo is close to coming back in the next month...I'd say him vs. Shinsuke is all but a given.

mouserat

Neo Member
I find it funny that the A-1 banner reason that the WWE hired Nakamura was to sell some more seats at 2 yearly house shows in Japan. I doubt the take for one of those shows would cover his yearly wage.

that might be the reason but they're probably covered for his next six months salary in merch sales and free social media marketing alone.

Even though a lot of people have soured on Jericho, he actually has a really good run this time around.

He's gotten a bit slower in the ring, but he has been very reliant during this injury era.

Jericho's kinda hated now because of who he used to be. In a vacuum, 2016 Y2J is a pretty solid hand and a good promo, but compared to how he used to be able to wrestle and work a crowd he's just a fat shill who's two paces behind however he's working with. I still don't mind him, I think $750 scarf Jericho is probably their best heel right now since Kevin Owens is too hilarious to hate.

mouserat

Neo Member
Even though a lot of people have soured on Jericho, he actually has a really good run this time around.

He's gotten a bit slower in the ring, but he has been very reliant during this injury era.

Jericho's kinda hated now because of who he used to be. In a vacuum, 2016 Y2J is a pretty solid hand and a good promo, but compared to how he used to be able to wrestle and work a crowd he's just a fat shill who's two paces behind however he's working with. I still don't mind him, I think $750 scarf Jericho is probably their best heel right now since Kevin Owens is too hilarious to hate.

Filthy kideo games talk:

Anyone here on PS4 Dark Souls III, around Level 38 and don't mind being used as a mule for some items for 15 minutes?

I check the boxes apart from the levels - I got the game on Tuesday but I've been so busy with work that I haven't been able to devote more than three hours to it. Planning on nerding the fuck out over the weekend though, so hopefully I'll be of use to you by next week.

I'm loving what I've played so far though, my only niggle is the setting feels like a step back after Bloodborne, but I'm so glad it's better than DS2, which felt to me like some interns got to play around with 'Super Dark Souls Maker' for a few weeks.

In wrasslin' news, I decided to watch a '98 Nitro from around the time they changed the logo to the spikey monstrosity as I missed them first time round. Wow, It's amazing they managed to fill arenas like that with such a poor quality wrasslin' product.

Menome

I check the boxes apart from the levels - I got the game on Tuesday but I've been so busy with work that I haven't been able to devote more than three hours to it. Planning on nerding the fuck out over the weekend though, so hopefully I'll be of use to you by next week.

Unfortunately I need to do it ASAP as I'm transferring between two different saves to avoid ruining a quest-line. Thanks for the offer though.

Kaladin

Ah. I would probably get it if I didn't choose to ignore TNA like the rest of the general populace.

I know it started in Ring of Honor, but I think Ring of Honor started kind of ironically calling Matt Hardy an icon as part of his heel character and he ran with it.

I know it started in Ring of Honor, but I think Ring of Honor started kind of ironically calling Matt Hardy an icon as part of his heel character and he ran with it.

I've tried ROH a few times, but always found it struggled to keep my attention. My only takeaways were Steen was great, but I couldn't stand the Briscoes or Truth Martini. Or Elgin. Is it worth a look now?

Guzim

Weren't there, like, three of you? In a thread regularly posted in by, like, a dozen people? The New Generation era of WrassleGAF was small potatoes compared to the ratings juggernaut it is today.

There were multiple HBK threads, and this was when we were a weekly episodic thread. Now we're a monthly episodic thread.

Kaladin

I've tried ROH a few times, but always found it struggled to keep my attention. My only takeaways were Steen was great, but I couldn't stand the Briscoes or Truth Martini. Or Elgin. Is it worth a look now?

It will probably continue to struggle to keep your attention. ROH has good matches, but the Briscoes, Truth Martini and Elgin are prominent in that promotion.

Browny

Banned
Ah. I would probably get it if I didn't choose to ignore TNA like the rest of the general populace.

After the appalling '98 Nitro, I had a browse at Starrcade '98. How did Stang go from main event in '97 to not on the card in '98?

Injured... also I seem to remember he was having problems with painkillers at the time, and took some time off.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I used to casually read the thread back in the mid 2000s. Snowglobe Kliq was a big nothing.

I always found that the magnitude of hate on Rocky was not even in the same league as Roman. There was some chants from the usual suspects, some boos but nothing like the 2 year long odyssey of hate Roman has gotten.

Although you can pretty easily spot the reasons why Rocky was changed so quickly in comparison to Roman: outside competition.

In the time i've been actively following again it seems like the heat for Reigns has only gone nuclear level in the last 3 months.

Another side note of 97/98: Survivor Series 97 had a sell out record of 20K. TWENTY THOUSAND

jmdajr

Man Matt Hardy has usually bored me to tears.

Probably only fun thing he did was feud with MVP.

Sure there was Edge/Hardy...but Edge was the whole highlight.

Browny

Banned
Man Matt Hardy has usually bored me to tears.

Probably only fun thing he did was feud with MVP.

Sure there was Edge/Hardy...but Edge was the whole highlight.

You damned right. Simple story that worked very well. Gave us this:

basketball-matt-hardy-mvp-o.gif

And the now-legendary:

blEyzG8.gif

Caderfix

Matt will always be remembered as the other Hardy. Jeff is HUGE, Matt was never even close to that.

I remember that for a long time Jeff, Edge and Punk were the only reasons why I kept watching WWE. Jeff even got me to watch TNA for a while. I had hopes that he would be back to WWE this year and I'm still salty it didn't happen.

I wonder if Chris Bennywarts didn't go bye bye, what would've happened with John Morrison?

It's said Benny was supposed to win and Punk was a face so I doubt they have a long term feud. So maybe Morrison would've debuted the following Tuesday to be the heel that feuds with Benny?

Then punk possibly still in the picture so SummerSlam possibly a triple threat match between them?

Also lol at everyone taking Bart to beat Butterbean. Unless there's so run in, he loses.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to find that terrible Matt Hardy video where he talks to a cutout of Edge and eats cereal. The one he filmed in his house.

Argh, double post. slow morning.

Top Bottom