• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

klonere

Banned
WAW character profiles;

https://vimeo.com/155938381

Guess that's the sort of quality we can expect from their TV pilot. Best tag team in Europe, lawl. Why is it that the least exciting British promotions are the ones getting TV pilots?

Here's the card for EVOLVE 61;

pBiI3Ej.jpg

That's pretty stacked, always down for more Marty vs Zack matches.

Rush vs Riddle sounds intriguing. Gargano vs Galloway will be awesome, especially with Galloway as the heel. I've really enjoyed Yehi's showings and TJP had a great, different match with Ricochet.

Very excited for this card.

klonere

Banned
I find it very weird that WWE is basing a major main event storyline around a stable that only a couple of thousand smarks know the full history of. I guess they kept seeing the shirts and said "we gotta get in on that".

The emotional impact of the whole angle right now revolves around having a connection with the people involved from when they all worked in NJPW. I mean sure they have acknowledged these guys have all come from the same place but the real meat of the story is smark fantasy booking stuff.

WWE in 2016 gets stranger and stranger.

Sephzilla

I find it very weird that WWE is basing a major main event storyline around a stable that only a couple of thousand smarks know the full history of. I guess they kept seeing the shirts and said "we gotta get in on that".

The emotional impact of the whole angle right now revolves around having a connection with the people involved from when they all worked in NJPW. I mean sure they have acknowledged these guys have all come from the same place but the real meat of the story is smark fantasy booking stuff.

I'm just happy that WWE is at least semi acknowledging the existence of other wrestling promotions instead of living in their own little bubble

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ryder won because Vince just wanted to fuck the fans on Monday.

He was probably with his pants down in gorilla when somebody as fucking bad as the Miz got the belt.
The Miz is not bad. At all. He's easily one of the best guys they have on the mic and for a long time now he's been very underused. He's one of the best heels in WWE right now for sure. Him winning the IC title was never a problem. It's a shame the way they did it was burying Ryder again, but still Miz is a worthy IC champ.

WAW character profiles;

https://vimeo.com/155938381

Guess that's the sort of quality we can expect from their TV pilot. Best tag team in Europe, lawl. Why is it that the least exciting British promotions are the ones getting TV pilots?

Here's the card for EVOLVE 61;

pBiI3Ej.jpg

That's pretty stacked, always down for more Marty vs Zack matches.

Ethan Page vs. Chris Dickinson will be a fine bathroom break match. Riddle vs. Rush is the dark horse match of that night.

WWE seems to be discovering that if you go on and on about a talent being a big deal, fans will believe that even if they've never heard of them.

The Miz is not bad. At all. He's easily one of the best guys they have on the mic and for a long time now he's been very underused. He's one of the best heels in WWE right now for sure. Him winning the IC title was never a problem. It's a shame the way they did it was burying Ryder again, but still Miz is a worthy IC champ.
Fox hates everyone who poses a threat to Cesaro. But when Miz beats him at Payback, he'll learn.

klonere

Banned
From a week ago but it is fascinating to listen to Sami speak Arabic

https://twitter.com/WWEmena/status/720697168798081025

WWE seems to be discovering that if you go on and on about a talent being a big deal, fans will believe that even if they've never heard of them.

Well seeing as they are struggling to produce consistent talent on their own and seem to be back to raiding indiscriminately they have to talk up other places and the inherent talent of "outsiders" or else they'd be really fucked.

It can work with their fan base. I wen to NXT Dallas with the Nakamura parody guy from DDT Chinsuke. Going in some people recognized it and loved seeing him. On the way out after one match everyone had him mobbed. The shine that the spotlight of the E gives a person is real.

I think you're reading into this a bit much. They've done stuff like this before with bringing in a new wrestler and playing up the "X and Y go back a long time!" They did it Foley and Funk. WCW did it with Hall and Nash.

WWE hasn't done a good job at explaining who all these people are on the main shows, not just the bullet club but others. Alot of assumption that normal/casual viewers will go to their website, YouTube page or Facebook to see the videos and stories tip toeing around their history.

klonere

Banned
I think you're reading into this a bit much. They've done stuff like this before with bringing in a new wrestler and playing up the "X and Y go back a long time!" They did it Foley and Funk. WCW did it with Hall and Nash.

I'm not saying they haven't done stuff like this in the past more that the level of exposure is totally different. Funk was a legend by the time he came into WWF. Foley had been on national TV for years. Hall & Nash were two enormous stars in the WWF and their move was the biggest coup since Hogan left.

Now we have Gallows & Anderson one of whom was in an unrecognizably different, forgotten and unreferenced gimmick, the other who is brand new and never has been on American TV and the Bullet Club angle, which played out in Japan. Your average Raw viewer shouldhave little to no idea who these guys are. This isn't "holy shit Razor Ramon just walked out on Nitro!!!" it's "Oh I've never seen these guys before but apparently they were Big In Japan".

It just shows how much WWE is looking to appeal to the very hardcore fan right now.

Kaladin

I'm not saying they haven't done stuff like this in the past more that the level of exposure is totally different. Funk was a legend by the time he came into WWF. Foley had been on national TV for years. Hall & Nash were two enormous stars in the WWF and their move was the biggest coup since Hogan left.

Now we have Gallows & Anderson one of whom was in an unrecognizably different, forgotten and unreferenced gimmick, the other who is brand new and never has been on American TV and the Bullet Club angle, which played out in Japan. Your average Raw viewer shouldhave little to no idea who these guys are. This isn't "holy shit Razor Ramon just walked out on Nitro!!!" it's "Oh I've never seen these guys before but apparently they were Big In Japan".

It just shows how much WWE is looking to appeal to the very hardcore fan right now.

The appeal to the new fan is in not knowing. By what WWE has told you,you have both AJ and Gallows and Anderson all from New Japan. AJ has called them his boys.

There is a certain appeal to not knowing and wondering where are they going with this. Even more interesting when you factor in that you know Finn Balor has been in Japan with the same company, however most fans won't put these two together so it would be a surprise when he debuts in this angle.

klonere

Banned
WWE hasn't done a good job at explaining who all these people are on the main shows, not just the bullet club but others. Alot of assumption that normal/casual viewers will go to their website, YouTube page or Facebook to see the videos and stories tip toeing around their history.

The appeal to the new fan is in not knowing. By what WWE has told you,you have both AJ and Gallows and Anderson all from New Japan. AJ has called them his boys.

There is a certain appeal to not knowing and wondering where are they going with this. Even more interesting when you factor in that you know Finn Balor has been in Japan with the same company, however most fans won't put these two together so it would be a surprise when he debuts in this angle.

Two different takes on it here. I do think a lot of fans, casual and hardcore do live off the surprise factor in WWE as almost the sole reason to watch (see: Shane's return) so there's that. Still I think that they are missing just a little bit more context for the whole angle.

I wonder if they'll even bring up Finn in passing during the next few weeks. Like if Anderson & Gallows are like "hey AJ if you don't want to roll with us there's this other guy...." which could mean Roman as well I suppose...

shanafan

At Payback..

What if Anderson/Gallows rush in towards the end of the match, beat down on AJ and then Finn comes out to help Anderson/Gallows?

AJ wins by DQ. Roman remains strong. Finn debuts.

bjork

It's pretty obvious.

HHH returns, smashes AJ with a hammer to give reigns the easy win because if anyone's going to beat Roman, it's going to be HHH and so on. Then the next night on Raw, fingerpoke 2.0

Teeth

Here's the thing about WWE and histories:

They don't give a fuck.

They don't recognize their own histories. They never build off what has happened and they just make it up as they go along. They tell the audience what they are supposed to feel about a character week to week and never do their homework to establish any sequence events that could create an "emotional core".

The audience has shown that they don't care. Just tell the audience that Anderson and Gallows are old boys with Styles and show them wrecking shop a couple of times. It's a short circuit to a story line. Just tell the audience. No need to actually build anything. Piggybacking off a smark angle is just icing.

Because they think Shane is actually in charge of something and not just a character

No, he is in charge? Didn't you hear him talk about giving new people a chance? And how good have Raws been since? It's happening, the WWE is finally going to get better and it's thanks to Based Shane! /s

bjork

HHH gets to be in another main event and put down an indie guy just for the hell of it, then he gets to win the belt and you get the Roman Authority when he turns into HHH's boy. Then he becomes the new GM of raw. You don't see him wrestle, but he gets loads of promo time to work on his mic skills.

balee dat

You know whats funny:

Adam Rose gets busted,

Dean Ambrose, loses 30 lbs of muscle in the last 4 months. Someone warned him of an impending test.

Rose gets no such warning.

Tama Tonga based his current character off of Charlie Sheen from the movie, Navy SEALs.

Tama Tonga is now my favorite wrestler.

Current Fav 5
1) Tonga
2) Naito
3) Osprey
4) Karl Anderson
5) KO

This is for Blue

She was a camper for taking that bump there. That was some crazy shit.

Another one for Blue, the most beautiful frog splash known to man

5Y5cma.gif
Now THAT is the biggest frog splash ever. All 300lbs and that vest. I miss D'Lo

HHH gets to be in another main event and put down an indie guy just for the hell of it, then he gets to win the belt and you get the Roman Authority when he turns into HHH's boy. Then he becomes the new GM of raw. You don't see him wrestle, but he gets loads of promo time to work on his mic skills.

balee dat
HHH will be putting down everyone's favourite star forever. He'll be 80 inserting himself in storylines.

Kaladin

Current Fave Five :

1) Kevin Owens
2) AJ Styles
3) Sami Zayn
4) Cesaro
5) Nakamura

It's odd to have that list and they all be WWE guys.

Top Bottom