• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

shanafan

You can still wear more than one belt!

anglewwe.jpg

Zach

I just want to say that cosmetically the Attitude Era belts sucked and the 80s/New Generation era belts were a lot better.

I'm kinda with you, but that belt doesn't look half bad with The Rock or that one picture of Triple H that I saw the other day. And would The Rock have looked good with the winged eagle belt? I dunno. Seems weird in my mind's eye.

Zach

I didn't realize boxing championships have little pictures of legends. That's hilarious. Imagine a wrasslin' title with that design...

Sephzilla

Having a lot of belts in boxing doesn't carry that much weight when there are probably more promotions and belts than there are actual boxers these days

Mahonay

Banned
Somtimes you have so many belts your entourage has to carry them

I know this is boxing....what? Come at me.

I didn't realize boxing championships have little pictures of legends. That's hilarious. Imagine a wrasslin' title with that design...
Boxing. A fake sport that is more carney than pro wrestling.
Diesel would sometimes drag the belt with him. I thought that was cool.
It's all fake. Who cares?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Boxing. A fake sport that is more carney than pro wrestling.

I won't have you sully the name of professional boxing

It's just...

indefensible

I love boxing, but it has its issues.

klonere

Banned
For all you guys obsessed with your shooting

Meltzer said:
Maeda being the biggest star in Japanese wrestling never materialized, as Inoki, like so many before and after him, had no intention of stepping down before those who were hungry for his spot became frustrated and fans at the time tired of him. But in other ways, he became far more important because of the industry changes he brought.

When Shinma was ousted from New Japan in 1983 for numerous financial improprieties, he formed a new promotion in early 1984, called the UWF. After Inoki backed out on a promise to join him, Shinma used Maeda, then 24 and already a major player in New Japan, as his big star. Maeda, through the influence of Karl Gotch, the original coach of all the top stars with the new promotion (Maeda, veterans Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Osamu Kido and future stars Nobuhiko Takada and Kazuo Yamazaki), changed the face of wrestling by popularizing the term shooting, building a wrestling style around suplexes, submissions and kicks.

While the first UWF was not a shoot, it looked more realistic, and most of the audience believed it to be the real deal. UWF gained a large cult following in Tokyo becoming the hottest show at Korakuen Hall in 1984-85, particularly when it lured Satoru Sayama out of retirement

klonere

Banned
Even more fasinating history lessons

Meltzer said:
The 1986-87 period with New Japan changed pro wrestling in that country forever. The feud with Maeda, Takada, Fujiwara and Yamazaki against the New Japan wrestlers was huge box office, and created a hardcore awareness of submissions like armbars, kneebars, Fujiwara armbars and half crabs as finishers.

But the less spectacular submissions, while building up great heat and selling tickets for a hot feud, also was apparently so technical that it hurt casual fan interest and TV ratings in prime time started falling, which eventually resulted in New Japan's TV show being taken out of prime time and moved to Saturday afternoons. Years later, it was moved to Saturday nights past midnight, a death time slot, although it still did very strong business with the bad time slot.

But it was a style years ahead of its time, and while older fans didn't understand it, when the kids who thought it was cool got older, it spawned the education and understanding of a new form of realistic pro wrestling, and later actually real pro wrestling, which led to the MMA boom that changed Japanese wrestling forever.

Meiko Satomura week continues with Meiko Satomura vs. Syuri from Sendai Girls' March 11, 2016 show at Shinjuku FACE in Tokyo. We're working with DailyMotion again, so let's see if capturing gifs will drive me as crazy as it did yesterday.

As we've discussed this week, Meiko Satomura is a twenty year veteran and co-founder of Sendai Girls. She kicks the hell out of people, and her finisher is the Death Valley Bomb, a Death Valley Driver variant. Syuri was trained by Tajiri, and she actually started in Hustle as Karate Girl in the Hustle Union Army. She also does kickboxing with the Krush promotion, shoot boxing, and MMA with Pancrase. So, this match is going to have a lot of kicks to the face and body.

And yes, in case you perverts were wondering, Syuri has a gravure tape out there too.

This is a non-title match as Syuri heads off to kickbox and fight in MMA full time. Satomura gives no shits and starts probing Syuri for weaknesses with leg kicks and slaps. Syuri tries to take it to the ground, and the two grapple inconclusively. Shoulder tackles are also inconclusive, though an ankle pick takes Satomura down. To the corner now, and Syuri smashes Satomura with kicks to the chest. Satomura tries to respond with with an elbow, but Syuri throws her back in to the corner kicks her, suplexes her out of the corner, and kicks her in the back again for good measure. All of this just pisses Satomura off, and they give the people what they came to see with a kick exchange. Leg kicks become kicks to the chest become elbows to the face as each woman tries to prove she's the tougher. The key to the exchange is the way both women lean into the kicks to maximize the impact; every kick makes you wince because it seems like they're kicking the hell out of each other out of spite. The referee has to break the women up because of their collar and elbow was going nowhere. Satomura misses a high kick, and Syuri takes her down with some leg kicks. Satomura gets the mount, but she lets her up because that's not what she wants to do. Instead, she takes Syuri down with an armdrag and goes for an armbreaker. Syuri escapes and passes the guard. Satomura says, "Fuck grappling," picks Syuri up, bodyslams her, and goes to work with some elbows, including a very nice running elbow into the corner. Satomura lands on the middle rope off an Irish whip reversal and eats a kick to the chest as she tries to jump at Syuri. Knees to the body set up an armbreaker in the middle of the ring; Syuri's face as she cranks Satomura's arm is a sight to behold. A spinning heel kick gives Satomura an opening; Syuri's elbows can't stop Satomura from sideslamming her. Satomura goes for the Death Valley Bomb, but a backcracker and a running penalty kick get Syuri a two count. Syuri counters a running lariat with a German suplex. Satomura eats some more kicks to the chest, but she counters a head kick with a backdrop suplex. Elbow exchange leads to running strike exchange leads to a Satomura head kick to a Syuri jumping knee to a Satomura Pele kick. Satomura hits her cartwheel knee on Syuri to try to set up the Death Valley Bomb. Syuri counters and dumps Satomura on her head with a German suplex that gets a two count. Satomura rolls under the ropes to catch her breath. Syuri misses a jumping knee in the corner, and Satomura kicks her in the face. This sets up a short frog splash that rated maybe 2.5*. Satomura locks in the sleeper hold, her submission of choice, but Syuri escapes with kicks to Satomura's head. Satomura responds with a Death Valley Bomb that gets a 2.9 count. Syuri is fighting from the bottom now with kicks to the head, so Satomura kicks her in the face. Syuri blocks a jumping roundhouse, catches a slap, puts on a flying armbar, and transitions as Satomura tries to reverse. Again, Syuri's face as she cranks the arm is a sight to behold. A running penalty knee gets a two count as Syuri's foot is under the rope. Satomura kicks Syuri's chest and back, and they kick each other's ankle. Satomura's moment of hesitation as they each go for the head kick undermines that spot. A Syuri kick to the face gets a 2.9 count. Syuri was able to deny another Death Valley Bomb, but three more finish the job for Satomura.

If you like joshi that borders on Japanese worked shoot fighting, parts of this match will be enjoyable for you. There were lots of kicks to the body and head as both women started throwing bombs from the start. As in the other joshi matches I've watched this week, the submission work is mostly for high spots, as the match doesn't tell the usual story based around weakening a limb to set up a submission.

bjork

I did it once. I'm done. No thank you. Fuck you Carue.

I haven't had one be this confusing yet. I'm actually having to run a zombie Enel team in order to do it. I accept my defeat as I sit through this... I guess it's gonna take like 40 minutes to finish. Balls, I say. Balls balls balls.

klonere

Banned
On the realistic a wrestler should maybe kick out of a finisher just once right?

In the WWE since wins and losses don't matter everyone should be allowed to kick out of everything and then the most random shit should pin people.

Like true Strong Style except worse.

Zach

I agree on that too.

Well, there's always an exception. But it should be extremely, extremely rare. Like, less than once a year. I don't even want it to be a yearly WrassleMania spot. You should save it for a moment that matters. Or else, none of these moves are really finishers, right? No one has a finisher.

In the WWE since wins and losses don't matter everyone should be allowed to kick out of everything and then the most random shit should pin people.

Like true Strong Style except worse.
This isn't what you're saying, but I love it when random, non-finisher moves finish dudes off in matches. I mean, not just a school boy or whatever, but impactful moves that make sense. I want to see someone pinned off of a DDT in WWE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Back to this Quackenbush cat: looking at his movez on Wikipedia and it's like a 12-year-old's create-a-wrestler.

I haven't had one be this confusing yet. I'm actually having to run a zombie Enel team in order to do it. I accept my defeat as I sit through this... I guess it's gonna take like 40 minutes to finish. Balls, I say. Balls balls balls.

I think I got a bronze and I'm ok without it. My Sugo pulls were dogshit. I busted my ass for 5 more gems and ended up with a fuckin' Hachi. Log Brook, which I didn't have. Getting a DEX team together for Kuzan, I'd really like to have him. Finally got a Dex Mihawk and evo'd him so he's gettin' strong.

Zach

I think I got a bronze and I'm ok without it. My Sugo pulls were dogshit. I busted my ass for 5 more gems and ended up with a fuckin' Hachi. Log Brook, which I didn't have. Getting a DEX team together for Kuzan, I'd really like to have him. Finally got a Dex Mihawk and evo'd him so he's gettin' strong.

klonere

Banned
Well, there's always an exception. But it should be extremely, extremely rare. Like, less than once a year. I don't even want it to be a yearly WrassleMania spot. You should save it for a moment that matters. Or else, none of these moves are really finishers, right? No one has a finisher.

This isn't what you're saying, but I love it when random, non-finisher moves finish dudes off in matches. I mean, not just a school boy or whatever, but impactful moves that make sense. I want to see someone pinned off of a DDT in WWE.

It's kind of what I am saying, in a very smarky bad manner.

I watched some late 90s NJPW and the crowds were just indescribably hot for all the big matches because everything and anything could finish them. I really wish some indie promotion would go with that sort of mandate. EVOLVE are trying this grapple fuck thing but I think a way better way of being unique and creating truly hot crowds would be to do something similar. I'm sure it'd be harder to figure out matches though - you'd have to set up a really convincing story/spot to pin someone off moves that haven't been pinning people in forever. Maybe just make signatures put people away more I guess?

bjork

I'm a dildo and need the max bounty on each one for whatever reason. Mihawk is pretty key, once he's done, so much stuff is easily clearable.

hey, hey. It's like a top 5 phone game for ol bjorky, now

klonere

Banned
It'd be actually pretty easy to do it on the indies nowadays seeing as everyone's offense looks spectacular and if you aren't a flippy guy then you are a huge dude who can just lariat a midget or a jacked up Jeff Cobb esque fellah who can suplex somebody to death.

If I was a money mark this is the promotion I would book for sure.

Top Bottom