• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

dream

Come on, every single one of you seeks out spoilers like a crack addict seeks out crack cocaine. Asking for spoilers in a thread where everyone fiends to find out the inside scoop is just asinine.

somedevil

Misread it and thought it was a TV taping. Nevermind

Why the fuck did they not just give Joe the title at Takeover instead of a damn house show?

My guess is they wanted to give him the longest NXT title reign before
he shows up at Payback.

Jopie

Wheels set in motion for Balor Club at Payback. So much potential for great things on the main roster for the rest of the year. Please, please WWE, don't mess this up.

Fox318

lE7jQ96.png
You are gonna need to give mania 2000 a G-

dream

I know you all recently demanded that bluekavelli stop posting so much in this thread. Can we also agree to stop with the spoiler tags?

Barrage

Spoilers:

love that Joe won it at a house show.

Stuff like that gices house shows a sense of urgency, makes them feel like they have possibility.

"Payback is going to be a great show..." is a phrase I never thought I would say.

It has both great matches and good stories going into it, and the possibility of exciting stuff post show as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The funny thing about the Starrcade 1997 main event is that besides Hogan getting most of the offense in the rest of the match is booked smartly for the future...but then that damn three count happens.

It attempts to capitalize on the angle that is starting to set the WWF on fire with Bret Hart being screwed and preventing another hero from being screwed.

That in turn sets up a real world's champion match, the biggest no brainer in history.

The stale NWO meanwhile could break apart into the heel/face stable that it would in three months anyways leading to money matches between Hogan and Nash/Hall/Macho.

Meanwhile look at the sub main event of WM 13. Same year, 8 months earlier. That set the future of three men brilliantly. Shamrock as a guy in the mix. Bret as an undeniable heel, and Austin as the future of the WWF. That match was thrown together that day. That match only happened because HBK lost his smile a few weeks ago. In fact had Shawn not been injured Austin likely would not have been on the card at all!

mreddie

The funny thing about the Starrcade 1997 main event is that besides Hogan getting most of the offense in the rest of the match is booked smartly for the future...but then that damn three count happens.

It attempts to capitalize on the angle that is starting to set the WWF on fire with Bret Hart being screwed and preventing another hero from being screwed.

That in turn sets up a real world's champion match, the biggest no brainer in history.

The stale NWO meanwhile could break apart into the heel/face stable that it would in three months anyways leading to money matches between Hogan and Nash/Hall/Macho.

Meanwhile look at the sub main event of WM 13. Same year, 8 months earlier. That set the future of three men brilliantly. Shamrock as a guy in the mix. Bret as an undeniable heel, and Austin as the future of the WWF. That match was thrown together that day. That match only happened because HBK lost his smile a few weeks ago. In fact had Shawn not been injured Austin likely would not have been on the card at all!

And don't forget, HHH was gonna win KOTR 96

@brydertna
Finishing up a great first night of @IMPACTWRESTLING tapings in Orlando. Morale = high. Sorry haters.

@JamesStormBrand
Dear God can today be over already.....

lmao

Fox318

Spoilers:

..LOVE that Joe won it at a House Show.

Stuff like this g8ves House Shows a sense of urgency, for that 10% "what if" feeling.
Yup.

Problem with house shows today is that you know the shit is fake and it's not gonna matter. I mean there are some benefits like the guys getting to expierment and do unique matches and the kids get to see every babyface win.

Wrestling should have an air about it like anything can happen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
And don't forget, HHH was gonna win KOTR 96

Yep, his two big breaks in the WWF were him seizing on good luck. But he was so incredibly talented he probably could have gotten over no matter what.

Bret wasn't kidding in 1996; he honestly felt that Austin was the best wrestler there when he was on his sabbatical.

bigkrev

I know TNA did a world title change in 2005 on a house show, and i'm pretty sure WWE has switched the Women's title and maybe IC title at house shows before.

Doing it once every 5 years or so reminds people that stuff can actually happen at house shows. I think ROH in 2004 or so, when everyone was used to 30+ minute main events, did a 5 minute main event just to "teach" the audience that anything can happen.

In a world with Twitter, it's a fine idea.

Fox318

Top:
I'M STILL GETTING PAID!

Bottom:
OH GOD, I HAVE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE
Storm new what he was getting into. A guy like him may have been able to get over and get a main roster deal but he probably left as soon as roidy Billy Gunn abused his HHH stash and was fired.

And now because of the TNA deal he can't do indies. He has to get contracted out by TNA for indies.

mreddie

Yep, his two big breaks in the WWF were him seizing on good luck. But he was so incredibly talented he probably could have gotten over no matter what.

Bret wasn't kidding in 1996; he honestly felt that Austin was the best wrestler there when he was on his sabbatical.

2 big breaks? The only one I know was KOTR. Was the other his firing in WCW?

This was probably the last chance for Joe to win if they were going to push Finn to main roster. They can devote time to showing Joe's win on NXT next Wednesday, and explain things.

It also makes NXT interesting again, as the show had been feeling like it has been going nowhere since Mania. Those pre-Mania taping and the complete lack of storylines this past month are hurting the shows appeal. I skipped through the last two shows, which I never did for NXT before.

Fox318

But Nxt house mostly sell out so this serve no purpose.
They might get to a point where they can sell out bigger arenas.

Plus because of taping guys aren't working tag matches every night or other useless raw shit.

I think most people here would choose to see Asuka or Joe work a house show singles match than see Dean and Y2j work a 8 man tag so the WWE can justify Cody Rhodes and Curtis Axels salary.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
2 big breaks? The only one I know was KOTR. Was the other his firing in WCW?

WM 13 match with Bret. If you look at it he's likely not on the card at all if Shawn hadn't lost his smile a few weeks back. Bret/Shawn rematch is the obvious fight. Then Taker/Sid. Chicago Street Fight. HHH/Goldust. If Mero wasn't injured then maybe he fights him for the IC belt instead of Sultan/Rock.

I can't feel bad for Storm. He takes any offer WWE gives him for NXT, he's with his buddies. Instead he asked for more than they'd ever realistically give him at this point and now he's stuck in TNA at best.

Also, didn't think it'd happen at a house show but like I said for a while, this basically makes it certain Balor/Styles is Happening. Face Roman....wait for it.....Reigns. Then. Now. Forever.

Top Bottom