• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

miserable

That's why he's the ace of the universe. His matches with Yano were some of his best matches of last year.

Way better than his matches with Okada tbqh

The matches vs Yano were the highlights of NJPW last year, for sure. But i also enjoyed the Okada match at WK10, even if it was the standard Tana vs Okada affair.

miserable

12961496_1000759116684948_7633400523125242136_n.jpg

lol Gedo

Adree

Which opinion of mine is more controversial here:

I kinda miss Dana Brooke. I think her "Ahhhh beaattt hurrrr" after Asuka kicked her ass made me like her and she seems to not be as terrible as she used to be. I hope with Emma on the main roster again they find someone for her to bully.

The Lapsed Fan is a merely ok podcast at best. The Meltzer bits of the Wrestlemania podcasts were nice and JP Sarro does great impersonations but he runs jokes into the ground.

Adree

I probably shouldn't shit on a wrestling podcast without offering up one I do like so I'll promote the We Watch Wrestling podcast. Matt McCarthy is super entertaining and it's nice to have a wrestling podcast that is more about celebrating the culture of wrestling than being a recap show.

Jamie OD

WWE has gotten really good at making people believe injuries are legit. They know that we know what the X symbol means. Just look at Kalisto on Raw last week. Or Sami the week before that.

Also it's during a period where parts of their roster are dropping like flies. Fans can buy into another injury happening because there have been so many lately.

Nekofrog

Banned
i'd prefer it if it was actually true that AJ was setting Reigns up as the twist instead of what everyone else is predicting

he doesn't even have to win the match, just a colossal 4man beat down at the end. go full WCW and DQ the main event.

I kinda miss Dana Brooke. I think her "Ahhhh beaattt hurrrr" after Asuka kicked her ass made me like her and she seems to not be as terrible as she used to be. I hope with Emma on the main roster again they find someone for her to bully.

The Lapsed Fan is a merely ok podcast at best. The Meltzer bits of the Wrestlemania podcasts were nice and JP Sarro does great impersonations but he runs jokes into the ground.

If you want really long podcasts that are really informative, listen to any of the PWO-PTBN podcasts.

i'd prefer it if it was actually true that AJ was setting Reigns up as the twist instead of what everyone else is predicting

he doesn't even have to win the match, just a colossal 4man beat down at the end. go full WCW and DQ the main event.

Balor, Anderson, and Gallows cause Styles the match, taking AJ out of the main even then the next night on RAW, Cena returns to set up Reigns vs. Cena down the line at Summerslam.

Recall

So WWF 1993 to 1996 was the New Generation Era
1997-2001 was the Attitude Era
2002-2005 was Ruthless Agression
2006-2010 was ?
2011-now is labelled as the Reality Era.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles
The Miz vs. Cesaro
Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho
Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens
Charlotte vs. Natalya
Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady vs. The Vaudevillains

You just skipped the probable matches that look horrible like Ziggler v. Corbin, and the unannounced Golden Truth v. the Social Outcasts match.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Guess we're gonna get Joe vs Nakamura in Tokyo this summer.
I'm pretty sure the rumored Tokyo show doesn't exist and/or its just a house show. We already know the next two TakeOver specials: TakeOver Revenge at Full Sail in June and TakeOver Brooklyn 2 in August.

Balor dropping the title on a house show suggests very heavily he's being called up and that they wanted him to drop the title without having to even do an NXT angle for it. But it again signifies a very weird direction, same as the main roster.

Angry Grimace

I mean, didn't Finn win the title on basically a glorified house show to begin with

Wow, that's the same venue WWF used to run TV tapings in the 90s and where that hilarious HHH vs. HBK Raw happened in 1997. Also where HBK lost his smile and DA BLUE CHIPPER Rocky Reigns won his first IC Title to the delight of no one.

Hex

Banned
If you are going to do a title change then do it where most of your audience can see it, Joe winning the belt means nothing if I couldn't see the match. If they wanted joe to win why didnt they just do it at nxt takeover?

Do you honestly think that they will not have video packages of the match on Wednesday and be showing it over and over?
Really?
They did not want to wait for another Takeover or for a new set of tapings to free Finn up.
They most likely have changed plans and moved his main roster debut up sooner than they had planned. Either someone was not ready to come back when they thought or it is just ratings.

Angry Grimace

If you are going to do a title change then do it where most of your audience can see it, Joe winning the belt means nothing if I couldn't see the match. If they wanted joe to win why didnt they just do it at nxt takeover?

Do you honestly think that they will not have video packages of the match on Wednesday and be showing it over and over?
Really?
They did not want to wait for another Takeover or for a new set of tapings to free Finn up.
They most likely have changed plans and moved his main roster debut up sooner than they had planned. Either someone was not ready to come back when they thought or it is just ratings.

It's because Finn broke the record for longest-reigning NXT Champion in between the last house show and this one.

klonere

Banned
Can't wait to tell my girl about Finn, she's going to be so salty. This is Finn's first lose of the year,right?

Yup!

Demon Finn is still unbeaten though. It seems pointless to even say it at this point but I hope they do something more interesting with the Demon in the future.

Yup!

Demon Finn is still unbeaten though. It seems pointless to even say it at this point but I hope they do something more interesting with the Demon in the future.
I think the demon will take a back seat till Wrestlemania, especially if he's running around as the Balor club leader with his friends. His entrance is going to be amazing next year.

Angry Grimace

The biggest reason I don't think Finn is coming in as a heel is because Vince has a hard-on for his merch sales and babyfaces sell the most merch. Legit think Finn turning heel sounds less likely than even Roman turning heel. Honestly, that fantasy-booking rumor sounded like the best one (the one where Gallows/Anderson are Roman's evil lackeys), but again, it still sounded like fantasy booking.

Then again, the entire roster's been booked kind of randomly (for WWE) since WrestleMania, so I'm not really sure what's up.

Coketruck

Agreed. I've tried to listen to the podcast multiple times, but at some point that guy always starts doing a Vince impersonation that goes on way too damn long and I'm done. One show, nearly half of the first thirty minutes was him doing voices. It's unbearably annoying.

klonere

Banned
I know Finn's reign was mediocre. His initial introduction was full of hope and promise! He looked great with Itami, especially in the tag vs the Ascension. The demon gimmick was teased as an entirely different character. He looked and felt like a star.

His feud with KO had Owens cut a better promo on the crowd at Full Sail (a much more interesting character) than Balor. The whole thing was a bandaid because Sami got hurt and Owens got called up extremely quickly which meant it felt rushed and out of place. His matches were ~fine~. His never cut a single memorable promo. His character was white Apollo Crews who dressed up in increasingly cornier bodypaint and fake dreads that he put together with stuff he found in the dumpster. He was constantly overshadowed by the women's division where the real emotional, true championship feuds were occurring. His TV matches revolved around headlocks and a very stale closing sequence. His finish sucked. He was infuriatingly more compelling on social media and at house shows than on TV I paid for.

There was no progression in anything - his feuds, his character, his in ring. It all stayed a very safe, samey WWE approved speed. Gone was the cocky charisma of Prince Deveeh-to~, the Real RocknRolla, relegated to few moments in a TV entrance. Instead we had "face of the company in training" Finn Balor. He spouted marketing slogans during his promos. I never felt like he was ever emotionally affected by anything that happened to him or around him. The funny thing is, he arguably isn't the true face of NXT as Bayley may have supplanted him as the babyface everyone loves and associates with the promotion instantly.

And yet he quietly presided over the male side of NXT as it exploded into big arena shows, countrywide tours, international house shows, actual merch, reality shows and much more. It an odd way he was the right guy to slowly subsume the developmental system into the corporate sea of WWE, a new revenue arm, a new social media presence and a new kind of fanbase. Sadly (and this is not in any way an excuse) Finn Balor, NXT Champion on TV was just ok.

Yet still, I really really like the guy. I will watch everything he is involved in. I am unabashedly excited about him on the main roster. I think his potential to be a big star is sky high. I'm not sure why - maybe its a combination of knowing he's perfectly adapted to the WWE style (see constant comparisons to Cena) and that I recently finished up watching all his NJPW run and I KNOW there is more there to it.

It's gonna be interesting.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
When does everyone think Nakamura is getting called up? They just sucked a heap of talent out of NXT so I think he will work a program with Joe for a while. Post Summerslam if they're forced but I think a Rumble debut is more likely. Plenty of time to work a feud and into a Mania match..

When does everyone think Nakamura is getting called up? They just sucked a heap of talent out of NXT so I think he will work a program with Joe for a while. Post Summerslam if they're forced but I think a Rumble debut is more likely. Plenty of time to work a feud and into a Mania match..
Surprise rumble entry. They need some star power in nxt since they lost Sami recently and Finn very soon it seems.

Menome

He's got to get his win back against Elias Samson first after next week. ;)

I should name a Fire-type Pokemon Kane when I get the chance, but Pokemon Black seems to be slim pickings so far. I did trade over my favorite Pokemon Rhyhorn, however, and named him Ryback. And just like his namesake, he squashed the Bug and Electric gyms.

I'll forgive you for tarnishing the Unova experience with bringing over an old 'mon because Ryback is such a perfect nickname.
Typically the use of Kane should be reserved for Magmortar because its got an uncanny resemblance to unmasked Kane.

Zach

Dana has improved greatly and is a quality heel.

I can see why one would not love The Lapsed Fan. It took a couple episodes for me to warm up to the guys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When is WWE going to put the Florida tapes up on the Network? I've been watching Sullivan promos all night. He's so incredible and other worldly in Florida. He feels like a real life cult leader just stumbled into pro wrestling and decided it was his thing now.
sdadsasda8wklc.gif

and he popped blackjack's wife
He really is incredible no? Sullivan's best years are so rarely seen, and he was incredible.

Dana has been great on the mic since almost day one. She's not amazing in ring, but she's already better then a lot of women who have been on the main roster.

It'd be great if they could keep her in NXT for a while and let her become the complete package. I imagine a main roster division one day that's Sasha, Charlotte, Becky, Paige, Nattie, Emma, Dana, Asuka and Bayley. Naomi seems to be improving a lot recently too.

Jericho tends to be pretty inconsistent, especially since he went part time. He's either terrible or great for me, nevere really in between. Even in this run, he was flat out bad until about three-four weeks ago, and he's been fantastic since then imo

Top Bottom